Author Topic: Encountering a scammer  (Read 15878 times)

Offline dcssb

• Freshie
Re: Encountering a scammer
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2019, 03:45:29 AM »
When I put up an advert in Mudah, almost all scammers contacted me asking to use whatsapp chat.  Saying they will make direct payment and asking for my bank details.  In Carousell, also, there are scammers who say "contact using whatsapp. Number is "011******"".  Checking Carousell on their profile and find they are no longer there - so confirmed as scammers.

Carousell also having the same problem? better direct contact their support team and report those scammer >:(
agree. less problem about scammers or anything. scammers will only go to platform that easy for them to cheat only lor
so far i use carousell is ok. seldom hear about their bad reviews also

Whenever I get chat(s) from who I think are scammers, I always report them to Carousell's support people, and get their replies.  But in most of the cases, those scammers either deleted their account profile in Carousell or left them, after writing a message providing their phone numbers for whatsapp, so the Carousell support cannot do anything further, except, perhaps to just put them into a "scammer" database records... not sure whether they do this.  Anyway, their support people always tell me to communicate in Carousell to ensure genuine buyers/sellers.

Offline sith leh

« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2019, 07:22:59 PM »
When I put up an advert in Mudah, almost all scammers contacted me asking to use whatsapp chat.  Saying they will make direct payment and asking for my bank details.  In Carousell, also, there are scammers who say "contact using whatsapp. Number is "011******"".  Checking Carousell on their profile and find they are no longer there - so confirmed as scammers.

Carousell also having the same problem? better direct contact their support team and report those scammer >:(
agree. less problem about scammers or anything. scammers will only go to platform that easy for them to cheat only lor

Whenever I get chat(s) from who I think are scammers, I always report them to Carousell's support people, and get their replies.  But in most of the cases, those scammers either deleted their account profile in Carousell or left them, after writing a message providing their phone numbers for whatsapp, so the Carousell support cannot do anything further, except, perhaps to just put them into a "scammer" database records... not sure whether they do this.  Anyway, their support people always tell me to communicate in Carousell to ensure genuine buyers/sellers.

Yep they always advise me to make sure i chat with the genuine buyer before proceed selling my item. sometimes they gve me few tips to recognize if people are scammers or not as well.

Offline zireen

« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2019, 07:31:50 PM »

not really. because only serious buyer can come up to chat you and asked for your number if they confirm buying from you. people from mudah can directly msg you on whatsapp lor

sometimes these scammers will pretend to be serious buyer and ask for your number especially when you're selling expensive things like camera, phone etc. so seller need to be alert also

Offline zireen

« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2019, 07:33:50 PM »

i just started using carousell for few weeks. their system are quite easy to use and the support teams very effective also. not bad

Offline zireen

« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2019, 07:37:39 PM »

Yep they always advise me to make sure i chat with the genuine buyer before proceed selling my item. sometimes they gve me few tips to recognize if people are scammers or not as well.

What are the tips they gave you? can share to me too? maybe i can use it when i buy on carousell later

Offline gaokopi

« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2019, 08:12:16 PM »

didn't u try with other online website? maybe better than mudah, less scammers and safer ???

now ppl normally use carousell, lazada, shopee... i heard they say mudah is not safe and a lot of scammers

whats is the differences between these online platform?some say that lazada is good but some prefer carousell. dunno how to differentiate between these platform

Offline gaokopi

« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2019, 08:16:33 PM »

sometimes these scammers will pretend to be serious buyer and ask for your number especially when you're selling expensive things like camera, phone etc. so seller need to be alert also

Exactly?as a seller you must be very alert and make sure you receive money before you post out. expensive things need to be extra careful so that scammers has no chance to cheat you

Offline dcssb

• Freshie
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2019, 04:07:21 AM »

Exactly?as a seller you must be very alert and make sure you receive money before you post out. expensive things need to be extra careful so that scammers has no chance to cheat you

As mentioned, expensive items like camera, which I sold one in Carousell, I asked for a bank transfer of funds or cash deposit to my bank account first before I pass the camera over to the buyer.  Since the amount is quite high, even when they bring cash, which I do not know whether they are counterfeit or not, that's why I ask for the cash to be deposited into my bank account or for a bank transfer via the Internet.  My buyer did the bank transfer in the meetup.  :)

Offline gather12345

• Freshie
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2019, 05:25:58 AM »
Carousell would definitely ranked one for most likelihood its a scam. Mudah site i do get alot of scam enquiry but i have been accustomed to pinpoint scams from non-scam

Offline sith leh

« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2019, 08:24:51 AM »

whats is the differences between these online platform?some say that lazada is good but some prefer carousell. dunno how to differentiate between these platform

Almost same as other platforms but their traffic user is higher compare to other. It's great chance to you get engage with the buyer. Not only can sell new goods but also used items as well. Bargain bidding in Carousell is easier because they do provide options for making offers.

Offline sith leh

« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2019, 08:29:43 AM »
Carousell would definitely ranked one for most likelihood its a scam. Mudah site i do get alot of scam enquiry but i have been accustomed to pinpoint scams from non-scam

You can get help from their support team and their community to make sure that the account belongs to a scammer or not. Usually in the Carousell scammer will use the same tactics and ask to continue discuss in whatsapp. Just beware with them!