Author Topic: Let's see pics of your favourite fountain pens.  (Read 49849 times)

Offline sshark

Re: Let's see pics of your favourite fountain pens.
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2011, 08:07:04 PM »
Pilot VP r good choices and practical. The other would be Sailor. There is another brand,TWSB, sold online which I bought, refer to the previous post.

Offline kinson

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2011, 08:08:52 PM »
Hopefully below RM100, hehe. May I ask how much was the shipping for the pen? USD39.99 isn't too bad, hehe.

Offline sshark

« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2011, 08:14:50 PM »
All in all about rm130 less if I remember correctly

Offline kinson

« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2011, 08:15:51 PM »
Nice, that's surprisingly cheap, since 39.99 is about RM120, hehe.

Offline lanatir

« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2011, 09:09:31 PM »
one of my evergreen faves... Danny, u know this  :D

Regards
Kelvin

Offline kinson

« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2011, 09:39:23 PM »
Nice Namiki, futuristic, hehe

Offline danny

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2011, 06:42:46 AM »
one of my evergreen faves... Danny, u know this  :D

I remember this one Kelvin. One of my favourites too.
Be careful when you take it on an airplane because it might be mistaken as a lethal weapon.

:Cheers:

Offline takashi78

« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2011, 06:54:10 AM »
Wow Kelvin that is a beautifully crafted pen.

Can you show us more pics and maybe a little bit of info about it?

Offline lanatir

« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2011, 07:22:46 AM »
Danny, you're right. But if I carry a pen on flight, it would be another Namiki instead  :)

Takashi, the M90 is a pen Pilot created to celebrate its 90th anniversary. It is a limited run of unannounced numbers (mostly sold out by now) and was created to also 'bring back' the famous integrated nib Pilot Myu design of the 70s.

For the past few anniversary celebrations, Pilot has released a low, mid and high end pen to commemorate the events. For the 90th, the M90 was for the lower end of the market.

For the mid end, they had the Toki, which I believe was a limited run of 900.

I was not a fan of the Toki but I did not manage to take a photo of the high end release.

I was however a HUGE fan of the mid end release for the 88th anniversary, the Nioh.

;D

Regards
Kelvin

Offline sshark

« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2011, 07:29:59 AM »
A stupid question, do the ppl use the ink that comes together with the limited production pen? Will the ink dried out or change composition if left in the bottle for too long?

Offline takashi78

« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2011, 08:26:05 AM »
I am attracted more towards the modern simplicity of the M90.

Too bad my current lifestyle and work doesnt call for a nice pen which i 100% use pens which are free gifts.

I do however appreciate a well crafted piece of useable art.

Maybe the next gtg you can show us some as well.

Offline kinson

« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2011, 03:46:26 PM »
Just got back from the Weld and got my first fountain pen, the Lamy Safari Yellow :)

Strangely, the ink (that came in blue, I didn't check) seems rather watered down, not sure if it's supposed to be that way. Feels very very light to me. I've uploaded a comparison pic to my Pilots above.

The guy who served me at the Pen Gallery (Saiful, I think) wasn't all that friendly, probably because I'm young and don't look very much like a businessman, haha. Kept getting the vibe that he wasn't paying much attention to me. I didn't really ask much questions cause i didn't feel comfortable, so I think I'll be googling and asking you guys advice on this...maybe join a fountain pen forum, hahaha. I need to figure out how to use the converter too.

Servie contrasted a lot to the Mont Blanc shop in Pavilion I went to several hours earlier, one of the staff there (dealt with her before) took time to sit down and chit chat with me on anything. Sent my dad's hand-me-down Mont Blanc pen there for servicing, about RM160 :/

Any comments on the ink lightness, guys?

Cheers,
Matt

Offline kinson

« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2011, 04:30:58 PM »
Actually, the ink has started to get darker..maybe it just needed time. Strange thing is that I see some ink splotches at the top of the nib now, even after I wipe it off, it comes back. Pictures below.

Offline sshark

« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2011, 05:02:33 PM »
I thought u were going for the Al body

Offline kinson

« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2011, 05:08:40 PM »
I thought u were going for the Al body

I didn't know there was a diff, though to be honest I was always aiming for the yellow one, so I guess it's correct, haha. Writes well on smooth paper, but it's scratchy on cheap paper, though :/

Offline takashi78

« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2011, 06:35:53 AM »
What is usually done when servicing a pen?

Offline danny

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2011, 07:11:56 AM »
What is usually done when servicing a pen?

Hi Peter,
I'm assuming that you post refers to a fountain pen. When used properly a fountain pen require little maintenance.
I've used fountain pens from various brands for the last 5 years and I can only recall a few occasions when I had to send my pens in for serving.

i) Aurora 88 - Had to send this pen back to factory in Italy for warranty claim when the piston knob became undone.

ii) Montblanc 149 - Ink flow was very disappointing for such a legendary pen. Nib had tendency to dry out after a minute or two of use. Sent it back to MB boutique a few times but those guys could do little to improve the situation. Finally the pen doctor at Gills managed to solve the problem for a small fee. (Took him less than a minute to fix the pen).

Generally a well made FP should last you a life time with minimal servicing requirement but just remember to flush out the ink before storage to prevent dried ink from clogging things up.

Here's a link to a good resource on fountain pen repairs and servicing:

http://www.rickconner.net/penspotters/repairs.html

Offline lanatir

« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2011, 07:40:37 AM »
sshark, yes and no. probably.

takashi - u sure u wanna kena poison ah?  ;D

kinson - some inks are meant to be lighter. no point comparing a water soluble ink against the consistency of a gel ink. don't expect a nib to look completely clean from ink when in use. as long as the ink doesn't spill all over the place and you can write smoothly, it's fine. it is normal for a steel nib to feel scratchy especially if it is your first FP. just write more with it and over time, the nib will feel smoother. just remember, u don't have to press down as hard as a ball pen when using an FP.

as a japanese pen lover, i must say that the japanese brands tend to be more consistent.

Regards
Kelvin

Online cd32815

« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2011, 10:13:42 AM »
Hi Kelvin,

Both the 90th and 88th are gorgeous. Luckily did not get poisoned by pens!

Offline shahkl2u

• Freshie
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2011, 05:41:52 PM »
Hi ...

Just to share my dirty mont blanc... long years never been clean. My fountain Mont blanc with casing. Not use it almost many many years.
Any comment...

Offline danny

• Administrator
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2011, 09:14:11 AM »
Hi ...

Just to share my dirty mont blanc... long years never been clean. My fountain Mont blanc with casing. Not use it almost many many years.
Any comment...

Hi Shah,
That's a very good looking Montblanc.  :thumbsup:
How does it write?
If you haven't used it in a while you may want to flush the pen with clean water to prevent dried ink from clogging the plumbing.

Offline lanatir

« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2011, 09:23:46 AM »
Hi ...

Any comment...

Hi Shah,
How does it write?
If you haven't used it in a while you may want to flush the pen with clean water to prevent dried ink from clogging the plumbing.

long years of neglect can lead to sealant damage
Regards
Kelvin

Offline lanatir

« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2011, 12:34:29 PM »
3 more favourites among my collection which see rotated use...

Pilot Custom 823 with the large #15 nib

Nakaya Writer Heki Tamenuri (the urushi layer, after 4 years, has yet to change colour...)

And my most regularly used pen, a Namiki Nippon Art

Regards
Kelvin

Offline shahkl2u

• Freshie
« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2011, 06:16:12 PM »
Hi ...

Any comment...

Hi Shah,
How does it write?

Thanks Danny...it write smooth like Montblanc use too  :D . I take your advice I should flush it with clean water...can't remember how
many years it lay inside the casing... I was thinking to sell it but 'sayang' to let go...

Cheers

Offline shahkl2u

• Freshie
« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2011, 06:23:13 PM »
Hi ...

Any comment...

Hi Shah,
How does it write?

long years of neglect can lead to sealant damage

Hi thanks...for reply. Yeap I will try to clean it and refill the ink back and see whether it work or not. BTW I just use parker ink only seem... Montblanc ink last few years back when to Montblanc KLCC to buy the ink but wow that time I think it cost more than RM50 I think ridiculous ... don't know now the price sky rocket I think. Last I bought my Montblanc casing is RM450 now I think it's more higher... anyone know what the price now!