Author Topic: HOROLOGY FOR UNITY  (Read 9077 times)

Offline mnazri.tan

• Time As It Is
    • Time As It Is.....
HOROLOGY FOR UNITY
« on: December 04, 2010, 08:29:43 AM »
First of all , I would like to apologize that we couldnt invite anyone to this gathering. It is a private event with close invitation.

We are having a gathering today at 2pm, especially for horology bloggers all around Malaysia. Since this is the very first event organized we are not particularly sure what could we expect for such event, and therefore the reason we keep it private within our small community. Security has become quite an issues to look at especially considering that everybody will come with precious collection that perhaps some... money couldnt buy. Watches from great grand father, vintage and classic, wedding gift from the love one, even i have a cheapo digital sanyo watch a gift from my dad when i was 10 years old (which i wouldnt trade for anything)  and all those highly expensive watches... It is something that you couldn't take the security issues lightly.

However being part of the MWF community, i feel obliged to share the event, and promise to come up with reports on the events later. In the future, from the experience we learned we hope we could organize a bigger event which open to all horology lovers....

Wish us luck for our event today....cheers
p/s i might post live report on the event at my blog today :)

« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 08:32:18 AM by mnazri.tan »

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
Re: HOROLOGY FOR UNITY
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 04:12:19 PM »
What a big disappointment that Mwf is not invited..
Especially Mwf is 2 yrs now... N still missing in many watch events in Malaysia
most of us been invited to some event Only due to our personal support to some watch shop not bcoz of Mwf

let's promotE Mwf together, hopefully Mwf will b invited to all watched event in the very near future...
Mwf future is very depend on the support of all
of u

fren, hope Mwf won't b let down next time...
We r looking forward for ur review for the event
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 05:01:02 PM by chrisyen »

Offline takashi78

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2010, 09:25:27 PM »
Agree with Chris.
MWF will grow and hopefully with the support of our members we can be a force in the watch forum world in Malaysia and Asia.

Looking forward to your report on the event.

Offline kenixck

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010, 01:42:55 AM »
nice t-shirt !

Offline adrian

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 02:07:20 AM »
MWF members not invited ???  But I got an invite from Asmar a month ago. I thought it was thru here. Perhaps it was a mistake coz I replied and didn't get any response on the details.

In any case, I can understand the need to keep such an event by invite only. I wouldn't want to put my watch collection on display out in the open if it was open to everyone.

Looking forward to your post here on the event.

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2010, 05:08:36 PM »
Agreed. That's y Mwf anni dinner restaurant will not b told till last min to those who agreed to attend by pm

but then I believe most senior member in Mwf is trustable guys...

So security is a must consider aspect but if human between human no trust won't work!

But when the owner n moderator of Mwf is not invited then the reason is beyond security I believe, but we must respect the organizer for the event, it is an private gathering... So
no questions...

Offline mnazri.tan

• Time As It Is
    • Time As It Is.....
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010, 06:14:16 AM »
Dear Chris

I can assure there is no reason beyond security measure. Most of the attendee are not members of MWF...and most of us been communicating with each others for long period of time...and we like to keep it a private event at least for the first event...we do not have experience prior to this event and I am sure now we are ready for something bigger...hopefully we can re organize something bigger next year, with sponsors and better management.

No doubt that most of us are honest people, but also we need to consider feeling of those existing members of our small community...they may not feel comfortable having people they don't know being around...I even need to advice some of the members of who's attending and our security measure...

So i hope you understand....No heart feeling ya bro....and i will come up with write up in the next post....cheers bro

Offline takashi78

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2010, 06:18:41 AM »
Was the event ONLY for bloggers ?

Offline mnazri.tan

• Time As It Is
    • Time As It Is.....
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2010, 06:28:38 AM »
So we had our inaugural gathering which rather fun…the event schedule to start at 2, however by 2 only bit of us were around, the rest still struggling to find their way….Let us admit, yes the venue in term of location rather suck…it is really difficult to get in, however due to difficulty as well, we don’t have any problem with outsider joining the event. It was nice and easy and we don’t have to worry at all displaying our collections.

By 2.30 more and more people manage to find their way. At about that time, Bro Simon tries to show his collection to some of the attendee who been chit chatting with him, and that spark the chain of reaction. Followed next by our King of Seiko, the undisputed otai and old timer…Bro Luv start taking out his collection. And the crowd was like ooohhh…and aaahhhh when he finally show his 3 precious Grand Seiko…I mean to actually witnessing one is a great opportunity, here we are talking about 3 at once…and it seem finally everybody start running amok and displaying their watches all over the place….

After a while Bro Hassan & Radzi tried to control the situation that started to become chaotic, by re- arranging the table. We combine several table as one, and display all collection on it…It is about 2 and half meter long and the table was full with watches ….and everybody gathered around the table taking pictures , asking question and some even bargaining on watches they have interest with…

But due to earlier hiccup, I think we totally forgotten to actually record down numbers of watches attending. But my quick guess, it is more than 500 pieces on the table in which I would estimate worth around RM 250k at minimum and I won’t be surprised if the figure could fetch half million mark. That considering some really rare Rolex, Jaeger Le Coulture, and Grand Seiko would easily cost several cold hard Grand. Luckily we have registration form and I am sure later Bro Radzi will come up with statistic soon…

Some of the interesting collection that I come across with would be

a)      Original Heur (before they become Tag Heur) – I mean how cool is that ???
b)      Original Le Coulture – Also before they become the JLC…ice cool…
c)       Grand Seiko….sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet
d)      A watch in a glass sphere…odd yet unique
e)      A watch from a Russian Jet fighter…at least about 100mm width…seriously….
f)       Some of the rare Seiko & Citizen…
g)      A very rare digital diver watch from Seiko, a NOS….seriously rare….like super seriously rare
h)      Boy London…come on…don’t tell me you don’t fancy that those days…
i)        Quite a number of cool vintage watches
j)        A Samurai Titanium…now, let us be frank…I was in love with white Samurai before, I thought I really love white samurai, but actually my love is for the Titanium Samurai…I need to get it someday

All in , I think about 35 - 40  people attended the event and I think we are happy to conclude that it was indeed a good event…a success…and we should definitely organize another one next year, a bigger one….yes let’s do that

P/s - i dont put up too many picture here, take too much time uploading one by one here.....therefore the rest of the picture (sorry mod i have to do this) u can check it out at my blog....(again really sorry)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 08:51:17 AM by mnazri.tan »

Offline mnazri.tan

• Time As It Is
    • Time As It Is.....
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2010, 06:29:46 AM »
mostly yes, and some few close friend.... :)

Was the event ONLY for bloggers ?

Offline Scott C.

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2010, 07:26:58 AM »
What a wonderful collections i can see (from Nazri's blog ;D)

Please take some times to post up to share with us ;)

Good to know that you and your members there had a successful event  :thumbsup:

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2010, 08:37:21 AM »
Nasri, don't worry... I can understand the situation!!!

What a wonderful event... I wish I can own some of those vintage pieces

Offline adrian

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2010, 08:59:59 AM »
Gosh! I see a lot of familiar faces - these are Amcorp Mall kakis aren't they?  ;D

Offline Manburg

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2010, 05:59:10 AM »
Nazri,

A big congrats to you and Asmar (plus the other organisers) for successfully staging the event. I'm sure a bigger gathering would be in the offing in the not-so-distant future that would of course involve the participation of MWF. On the subject of participation, I'd understand the disappointment of those who're not there, especially since it's not everyday that you'd find such an event. But to apportion the blame on the organisers or coming up with unsubstantiated conjecture would be a bit unfair I think, since in Duniajam's blog the invitation has been in the open for quite a number of months. Of course that invitation is on a personal basis, and not specifically extended to MWF as a group, but MWF's members (or even mods/owners) could still act on that invitation and attend.

So Nazri, keep us posted ya! :thumbsup:
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” BILL SHANKLY

Offline danny

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2010, 11:15:48 AM »
Nazri,
Saw the report on your blog. Looks like it was a very successful event. Congratulations to you and the other organizers.

:Cheers:

Offline David_cheong

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2010, 02:02:40 PM »
Nazri.

Read your blog. Judging from the pictures and the crowds, the events was a huge success.

I have never seen members bringing in their collections by the boxes, lining up from one end to the other.

Its a contrast, comparing to our mini gtg where a handful of watches are seen laying on the tables.

Good for you...

dc
I am almost a recovered watchaholic, but last checked shows only 70% recovered. How?

Offline mnazri.tan

• Time As It Is
    • Time As It Is.....
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2012, 01:06:35 PM »
how about joining us for the 2012....u can find the post in this forum...