Author Topic: Activity to avoid while wearing your watch  (Read 11080 times)

Offline BaeM

Activity to avoid while wearing your watch
« on: June 03, 2017, 09:40:10 AM »
Hi MWF sifoos I have a query.

Accuracy until certain extent is still acceptable, depending on the movement spec.

Can someone share, any daily activity that can affect the accuracy or maybe life of our watch?

I heard from watchshop/service centre and also read from internet, that normal mechanical watch (not sport version i think) is highly recommended not to use for active activity like jogging, playing golf or any other sports, and also even when you ride a bike (maybe due to malaysia road are far from perfect condition).

Do we really need to avoid those activities while wearing our beloved mechanical watch? Anyone experience this?

Offline dualcarb

Re: Activity to avoid while wearing your watch
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2017, 09:55:48 AM »
I wear my watches for golfing, swimming, wake boarding, tennis and everything in between.The manufacturers will recommend that we stay away from activities that has impact and vibration. But I have done all of the above and I know many others who also do the same and more. Some even work on construction sites with their Rolex. Nothing to worry about. You buy a watch to wear, and not to baby. Please don't get me wrong and I do not mean to offend. There will be knocks, there will be accidents and stuff that will scratch your watch, ding your watch and put marks on your watch. If you don't want that to happen, then please by all means buy your timepiece and put it in a glass case to admire.

Accuracy for that matter varies from one mechanical watch to another. Unless you have yours constantly regulated. Or you can self regulate by putting them in different positions while you sleep at night, i.e. face up, face down, crown up and crown down. But no one mechanical watch will be absolute in accuracy. Otherwise you can go get a quartz. I will adjust the time of my watches on the 1st of every month. And the website that I use is time.is.

Good luck and don't bother too much about your watches. They are tougher than you think.

Offline BaeM

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2017, 10:14:06 AM »
I wear my watches for golfing, swimming, wake boarding, tennis and everything in between.The manufacturers will recommend that we stay away from activities that has impact and vibration. But I have done all of the above and I know many others who also do the same and more. Some even work on construction sites with their Rolex. Nothing to worry about. You buy a watch to wear, and not to baby. Please don't get me wrong and I do not mean to offend. There will be knocks, there will be accidents and stuff that will scratch your watch, ding your watch and put marks on your watch. If you don't want that to happen, then please by all means buy your timepiece and put it in a glass case to admire.

Accuracy for that matter varies from one mechanical watch to another. Unless you have yours constantly regulated. Or you can self regulate by putting them in different positions while you sleep at night, i.e. face up, face down, crown up and crown down. But no one mechanical watch will be absolute in accuracy. Otherwise you can go get a quartz. I will adjust the time of my watches on the 1st of every month. And the website that I use is time.is.

Good luck and don't bother too much about your watches. They are tougher than you think.
Thanks for your kind advise.

I thought the same thing. We spend few thousands to buy a watch, then the watch is so fussy, cannot do that and cannot do this. More reliable and better quality stuff is expected when we pay lot amount of money.

but, I started to doubt again when a service centre warned that consistently involved your watch to those activities will kill the watch

Haha.....Any other sifus experience this before?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Offline D'Andy

• Success. It's a mind game.
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2017, 10:57:50 AM »
I tend to baby my watches, but I would have a couple of pieces for the rough and tough activities. The Hulk and G-Rangeman had travelled all over rough terrains with me, whether in 4WD adventures, mountain-climbing, sea sports, and the likes. Sure, there were bound to be some battle scars of the watches; but as I am not looking to flip these pieces, no worries on the accumulation then. I used to have go for long-distance bike convoys; and for those activities where there's plenty of rough idling, rattling and vibrations on the bikes, the shock-resistant Hydrocarbon used to be my go-to watch.
Watch hobbyist @ andywristwatches.blogspot.com. Current faves in my collection :

Rolex | Omega | Bell & Ross | Panerai | Seiko | G-Shock |

Offline meoramri

• Global Moderator
    • My Eastern Watch Collection
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2017, 11:20:58 AM »
Generally manufacturers tend to input a safety factor or at least 2. I.e. Any watch should be able to withstand at least twice what the manufacturer says. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Main watch blog visit: http://easternwatch.blogspot.com

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2017, 12:23:16 PM »
NASA did the gruesome test on speedy in 60s even though the watch was not designed for space flight.

Enjoy your watch dude.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Enkidu

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2017, 09:23:43 PM »

I heard from watchshop/service centre and also read from internet, that normal mechanical watch (not sport version i think) is highly recommended not to use for active activity like jogging, playing golf or any other sports, and also even when you ride a bike (maybe due to malaysia road are far from perfect condition).

....unless you are James Bond, you should not wear it on the bed when you are (ahem...ahem.. ;))

« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 09:49:46 PM by Enkidu »

Offline artyca

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2017, 11:20:54 PM »
I wouldn't wear an expensive mechanical watch if I'm playing golf or any racquet sports.... Unless I can afford a Richard Mille LOL

Offline rrk

• Freshie
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2017, 11:34:29 AM »
I wear the sports rolex models (sub and yacht-master)  and an omega constellation while playing golf, however I was advised by the AD never to wear it while swimming (though I have done that many times).

Regarding other mechanical watches like AP and PP, wouldn't wear them as they feel more fragile.

Offline kukujiao

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2017, 02:02:41 PM »
I think all boils down to some common sense, you probably should not go swimming in your patek dress watch. If you intend to do something hardcore, probably wiser to wear something that is designed to withstand the beatings.

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk

Offline Timeless

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2017, 06:36:48 AM »
Generally that makes me wonder a bit is the tennis, but then you would normally wear the watch on the other hand from the one you use to hold a racquet. I knew golf is not a good idea and automatic watches don't hold up to that, personally I'd be a bit wary about wearing it while pushing a trolley in hyper market too, just because of the risk of wiping out and the vibrate from the trolley handle which will affects the movement potentially.

Offline lshinxl

• Freshie
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2017, 02:52:16 PM »
Honestly I try not to worry about every single possibility of activity that could affect my watch's accuracy. As long as the activity is not too extreme like diving (when it does not having diver qualities), then I think its ok. I believe even our daily activity such as the usage of our phone could possibly magnetize the watch (correct me if I'm wrong). So I rather just enjoy it wherever it is.

Offline BaeM

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2017, 08:51:41 AM »
Generally that makes me wonder a bit is the tennis, but then you would normally wear the watch on the other hand from the one you use to hold a racquet. I knew golf is not a good idea and automatic watches don't hold up to that, personally I'd be a bit wary about wearing it while pushing a trolley in hyper market too, just because of the risk of wiping out and the vibrate from the trolley handle which will affects the movement potentially.
Haha really? need to avoid pushing trolley when wearing a mechanical watch?

Offline BaeM

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2017, 08:58:39 AM »
Honestly I try not to worry about every single possibility of activity that could affect my watch's accuracy. As long as the activity is not too extreme like diving (when it does not having diver qualities), then I think its ok. I believe even our daily activity such as the usage of our phone could possibly magnetize the watch (correct me if I'm wrong). So I rather just enjoy it wherever it is.
Manufacturer should have consider all daily activity (extreme activity like diving, sports may not included as daily activity) even pushing a trolley, during design the watch. Unless, its not a reliable and good watch

Offline Cocas

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2017, 09:31:18 AM »
I put my Seiko 5 sport in my daily use car compartment everyday.  Few years passed, it's still as good as new. :Dancing_banana:

Offline dennis.T

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2017, 09:25:49 AM »
avoid wearing mechanical watches for those high "G" force sports ie: golf, tennis & etc. That is some tools watch ie Richard mille which design for golfing and tennis if you insist to wear watches during those sports.  ;D

Offline berdsc

• Freshie
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2017, 11:43:28 AM »
I wore my fitbit everyday the only upset is this watch do not has 100mwater resistant.
Before I has fitbit, I wore a watch with ss bracelet or rubber strap. Watch in leather strap is not my daily watch.

Offline TheWatchCollector

• Freshie
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2017, 11:42:25 PM »
Vibration, shocks and extremes of temperature, are the killers. So no bike riding, racquet sports, DIY (hammering, drilling, etc.), bungee jumping, saunas, jacuzzis, ice pools, you get the idea.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2017, 10:02:31 PM »
Vibration, shocks and extremes of temperature, are the killers. So no bike riding, racquet sports, DIY (hammering, drilling, etc.), bungee jumping, saunas, jacuzzis, ice pools, you get the idea.

I've done most of the above with an Explorer 2 and so far no issues.

Offline Cocas

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2017, 10:19:53 PM »

I've done most of the above with an Explorer 2 and so far no issues.

Me too. I bathe with my Explorer II in hot shower. Totally no problem :thumbsup:

Offline rururuss

• Freshie
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2017, 10:44:27 PM »
Read somewhere that taking hot showers with your watch will gradually weaken the seals and gaskets over time, even if they are divers  :-\ I wouldn't risk it...

Offline dpkong

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2017, 11:02:39 AM »
Read somewhere that taking hot showers with your watch will gradually weaken the seals and gaskets over time, even if they are divers  :-\ I wouldn't risk it...

Any shower that's too hot for the seals and gaskets should be too hot for your skin as well.

Offline bloodlegion

• Freshie
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2017, 01:39:02 PM »
They are tougher than you think.
I concur. As someone who is very physically active, I can safely say that your wrist will give way before your wristwatch.

Offline megaronnt88

« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2017, 09:22:12 AM »
Unlocking a padlock through a grill door :P

Offline Keninshiro

« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2017, 02:51:58 PM »
There's a purpose to everything and nothing is build/made equally... this is the motto I use for my everyday life and it can be applied to watches as well.

If the watch in question is a Rolex Explorer II, no worries... you'll perish before the watch does. If the watch is a dress watch... a JLC master ultra thin and you take it to the driving range, for sure after a few months of constant hard swings the accuracy will run out of whack... it won't die on you but it won't run as it should. Just my 2 cents worth.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 02:55:52 PM by Keninshiro »