Author Topic: Dornblüth & Sohn 99.5  (Read 8345 times)

Offline TickTock

• Freshie
Dornblüth & Sohn 99.5
« on: December 31, 2016, 12:58:59 PM »
I recently received a Dornblüth & Son 99.5 Center Second watch. Dornblüth is located in Kalbe, Germany. I ordered this watch in August, 2015 however they were closed for the summer holiday so my order was not processed until September. I received this watch December 8 this year.

For those not familiar with Dornblüth they are a small independent watchmaker that make 10-12 watches a month. They are a throwback to the old days of watchmaking using traditional watch making tools. They do not have an assembly line like most manufacturers. They have several models and I spent about 6 months deciding which model I wanted. Since they have arrangements with very few retail shops, I had never seen one in the metal, much less on my wrist. Most of their models are 42mm. All of my other watches are 42-44mm with the exception of a Breitling Aeromarine chronograph thats 48mm.

Dornblüth was great to work with. From the time I ordered it was approximately 8 months before they contacted me to clarify details on the watch. Dornblüth does not offer many options but there are some things they offer.

The movement is a highly decorated ETA 6498 base. Dornblüth modifies and replaces some parts of the base movement.

I selected the white dial, applied raised blue numerals and blue hands. The hands, numerals and most of the screws are heat blued, not chemically blued or anodized. While it's a simple process to heat blue steel, its very temperature sensitive to get a consistent color. I'll have to say my numerals and hands match beautifully.

Most of the time the hands and numerals look black. But when the light strikes it right, they shift to blue. I've even had the numerals look silver at times.

This is a manual wind watch with hacking and rapid date advance independent of the crown. There is a small pushbutton flush with the watch case at 2.

The display back is very nice to look at. The swan neck regulator was something I wanted in a German watch. They retain the use of chatons secured with the blued screws. So visually the movement is very nice to look at through the sapphire crystal.

Time keeping is -6 seconds a day at this point. I'll have to see what it does in the future. I wind it each morning so the 48 hour power reserve does not get below 20 hours even if I wind it a bit late.

Dornblüth made a bracelet in the past but now only offer leather straps. A signed pin buckle or signed deployant buckle are options. I got both with some extra straps.

I think the watch is great for office or casual wear. However I don't know the waterproof rating of the watch. Without a screw down crown I wouldn't get it wet. I'm guessing its 3 ATM but that is a guess.

This watch is not for everyone. It's not the latest technology in timekeeping or manufacture. Its not a tool watch, not for sports or rough wear. Hands and numerals have no luminous coating. But it's what I wanted which was a return to the old school of watchmaking with real craftsmen working the watch from start to finish. Well, except for the base 6498 movement but I have the satisfaction that Dornblüth modified and decorated it.

I'm very happy with the watch and the way it wears And I will likely buy another Dornblüth some day. Unfortunately there are a few others on the list ahead of it since I've scratched the Dornie itch.

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. - Voltaire

Offline meoramri

• Global Moderator
    • My Eastern Watch Collection
Re: Dornblüth & Sohn 99.5
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2016, 06:44:54 PM »
 Thanks for the review and intro on the brand!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Main watch blog visit: http://easternwatch.blogspot.com

Offline raveen13

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 09:18:59 PM »
Beautiful Piece.  :thumbsup:

Offline TickTock

• Freshie
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 06:09:32 AM »
First thank you for the kind comments meorami and raveen13. I appreciate it.

With over 140 views it seems there is some interest in Dornblüth watches.

Now with over two months wearing it I appreciate it more than when I first got it. I'm a person that keeps watches so I engraved the back with my initials since I would pass it on to my son someday as a memory. The past two months has confirmed it's a keeper and I'll never let it go.

I have a Dornblüth price list if anyone is interested. I will PM you a scan (if I can figure out how to do it) if you are interested in pricing and standard options. Also as a note, the prices from August 2015 and December 2016 have not increased, they are the same.

Kind regards
Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. - Voltaire

Offline Timeless

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 07:54:36 AM »
Looks elegance, care to pm the price list by any chance?

Offline TickTock

• Freshie
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2017, 10:34:06 AM »
I failed to update the last question from Timeless but did post the price list to him. I'll do the same for anyone that is interested. However since Dornblüth does not post prices to their web site, I don't feel free to post it here.

Kind Regards...

Offline amosling

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2017, 12:22:37 PM »
Nice watch and brilliant write up. Pls PM me the price list if possible. Appreciate much.

Offline LogZ

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2017, 11:22:15 PM »
Nice watch.please pm price list.
Thank you.

Offline Coconut

• Lao lottery
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2019, 12:10:55 PM »
Looks very luxurious

Offline raveen13

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2019, 12:14:55 PM »
Yes it is. And the movement engraving is simply beautiful.