Author Topic: Zenith isn't HOT in Malaysia  (Read 25117 times)

Offline rogerckt

Zenith isn't HOT in Malaysia
« on: October 06, 2016, 09:41:55 AM »
Why Zenith watches isn't a HOT brand in Malaysia?

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
Re: Zenith isn't HOT in Malaysia
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2016, 09:52:33 AM »
Depending on how u define hot.
If u define hot as in every tom, dick and harry has one, then yes. It's not hot.
My opinion is the brand is missing something with mass appeal. Ppl who buys a Zenith normally know what they are getting into.
Others rarely take the time to find out.
So, to each his own.
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline elado249

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2016, 10:22:04 AM »
I found that Malaysian are more towards mass appeal. Easy for them to flip

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Offline CKL1213

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2016, 12:16:24 PM »
if they take out the star logo then i like

Offline Cocas

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2016, 12:19:00 PM »
Zenith watch is big but not so macho.

So people tend to buy Panerai for big and macho watch.

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2016, 02:11:30 PM »
Zenith watch is big but not so macho.

So people tend to buy Panerai for big and macho watch.

Exactly my point.
Ppl do not buy Zenith watches to be macho.
Like I said, ppl who buy a Zenith watch knows what they are buying...
IMHO, the new Zenith Elite Classic is good value.
Doesn't look out of place next to a JLC moonphase or an AP Jules Audemars.

I still think they need a decent sized sports watch or dive watch.
Not those 45.5mm monstrosity they are offering now...
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

Offline asimo

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2016, 04:56:24 PM »
Maybe got something with brand image .. Not much advertising n market positioning of zenith is unknown

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Cocas

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2016, 06:45:27 PM »
Maybe got something with brand image .. Not much advertising n market positioning of zenith is unknown

Agree. It does not have aggressive marketing advertisement, and it's rank  was put below Hublot (in which is seriously terribly wrong).

The most tarnishing harm done to Zenith is some Zenith watches are using Selita movement.  :o!?!

Offline meoramri

• Global Moderator
    • My Eastern Watch Collection
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2016, 07:09:59 PM »

Agree. It does not have aggressive marketing advertisement, and it's rank  was put below Hublot (in which is seriously terribly wrong).

The most tarnishing harm done to Zenith is some Zenith watches are using Selita movement.  :o!?!

The last sentence can't be right? As far as I know Zenith have their own in house movement. In fact Rolex used zenith movement in the early Daytonas.

Main watch blog visit: http://easternwatch.blogspot.com

Offline Cocas

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2016, 07:23:46 PM »

The last sentence can't be right? As far as I know Zenith have their own in house movement. In fact Rolex used zenith movement in the early Daytonas.

Hi @meoramri bro.

Here is the link http://forums.watchuseek.com/f27/will-sellita-save-zenith-1007218.html#/forumsite/20758/topics/1007218?page=1

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/zenith-its-no-longer-zenith-1006870-22.html#/forumsite/20758/topics/1006870?page=22

Be careful on those low priced Zenith.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 07:26:30 PM by Cocas »

Offline meoramri

• Global Moderator
    • My Eastern Watch Collection
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2016, 08:40:55 PM »
You are right @Cocas. This was the scandal that got Zenith in hot soup back in 2014. Honestly I can't even recall it ever happening. However, Zenith did try to experiment but within a year they reversed its plans.

http://www.timepiecechronicle.com/features/2015/1/19/lugtolugmythoughtsonzenith

Main watch blog visit: http://easternwatch.blogspot.com

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2016, 09:29:33 PM »
Yup. Zenith did release some models with sellita movememt in order to lower the entry prices for the brand.
And they also reversed the decision when the new CEO Aldo took over.
Call it a blip in Zenith's history if you will, but any publicity is good. Glad it's all in the past now.
Those who owned a piece of Zenith with sellita, keep it.
I don't think it will happen again.

As for the market positioning, inside the LVMH group.
I think Hublot got the most marketed.
LV watches just tag along with the bigger fashion label's marketing.
Then it's Zenith and Bvlgari.
Then Tag.
I don't see anything wrong.
For WIS, i think Zenith is held highest in all those brands but in branding, Hublot wins... Sad but true.

Personally, i am a big fan of Zenith watches... I am also frustrated because they are not releasing anything that appeal to me at this moment.
So, i will be happy just sticking to what i have.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 09:42:31 PM by hanz079 »

Offline rogerckt

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2016, 06:22:11 AM »
With all those 2k+ awards, el primero used by daytonas and all the in house movement, Zenith not on the par with brand such as Omega, Panerai or IWC. Sad case  ???

Offline Cocas

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2016, 07:18:02 AM »
With all those 2k+ awards, el primero used by daytonas and all the in house movement, Zenith not on the par with brand such as Omega, Panerai or IWC. Sad case  ???

Don't be sad. Isn't it a good chance to buy Zenith while all others still unaware of this brand :thumbsup:

Offline asimo

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2016, 10:13:02 AM »
They need to determine on their market positioning and come out with appropriate branding and marketing activities ..

Hublot is aggressive in marketing and advertising n position as a macho watch ... Sponsor many events eg wrestling , soccer players , etc...

Zenith LE partnership I can recall is rolling stone band, Cuba cigar brand ,  lolz etc

Offline D'Andy

• Success. It's a mind game.
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2016, 10:40:20 AM »
I actually thought that it was a nice touch to partner up with Cohiba and spotting its colours on the dial. It's sporty but in a gentlemanly manner. Too bad most of my Cohiba-totting associates were not as enthusiastic about donning a Zenith as they do with Cohiba.

Watch hobbyist @ andywristwatches.blogspot.com. Current faves in my collection :

Rolex | Omega | Bell & Ross | Panerai | Seiko | G-Shock |

Offline elado249

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2016, 02:57:14 PM »
Do u really need watches to be macho?? haha

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Offline asimo

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2016, 05:14:26 PM »
The watch not macho .. If give the wearer image of masculine as projected by the brand positioning

Offline Cocas

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2016, 06:14:45 PM »
Zenith watch is big and it actually goes well with guys that are tall (at least 180cm and above) and non-mascular.

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2016, 10:43:01 PM »
I guess that's the problem there.
Everyone seems to want a macho watch irregardless of brand, and brands just churn out the watches to satisfy what ppl want.
Even Patek seems to get in on the big watch bandwagon by releasing a 49.25mm 5976/1G for the Nautilus 40th Anniversary...

I believe brands should sometimes stick to their guns and not follow trends or fad but being a business, it's sink or swim...
I for one do not like to be wearing a 45mm+ watch when I am old... i'd look like a fool i reckon...

Offline Cocas

« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2016, 05:25:04 AM »
Everyone seems to want a macho watch irregardless of brand, and brands just churn out the watches to satisfy what ppl want.
Even Patek seems to get in on the big watch bandwagon by releasing a 49.25mm 5976/1G for the Nautilus 40th Anniversary...

I believe brands should sometimes stick to their guns and not follow trends or fad but being a business, it's sink or swim...
I for one do not like to be wearing a 45mm+ watch when I am old... i'd look like a fool i reckon...

Yes, for that. I salute to Rolex. It still does not build any fashionable "big" watch.

By the way, its big size tool watch-DSSD is so fashionable already.

Offline ndtaan

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2016, 10:36:15 AM »

Yes, for that. I salute to Rolex. It still does not build any fashionable "big" watch.

By the way, its big size tool watch-DSSD is so fashionable already.

"Don't fix it if it ain't broken" mentality.That's why they have so many boring models.If not for their excellent marketing position,I think people won't even give it a second look.haha

Offline Clicko

« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2016, 12:26:11 AM »
Zenith is eternity... This was mentioned by LVMH watch boss Jean-Claude Biver during one of the interviews I came across. Welcome to eternity.

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2016, 01:30:48 AM »

Love mine and still believe it's the best bang for the buck inhouse chrono out there. Although I believe it needs to update the calibre and not ride on nostalgia alone.

The next best high horology "affordable" in house chrono is the daytona. Credit where credit is due, the 4130 is a beautiful, robust and very reliable movement.

The new direction zenith is heading now is a great disappointment also...well to me anyway. Guess with the great beaver in helm, no surprises.

As long as you stick to 40mm and below it's a beautiful balanced watch and dial layout.

Sad to say, my experience with LVMH servicing is a disappointment. There's no other place to go but there. So suck it in.

Having said it all, would love to get a De Luca or Rainbow Flyback one of these days.

Better outrun my gun....faster than my bullet

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator