Author Topic: Should I get a vintage Rolex?  (Read 12827 times)

Offline Yoda

Re: Should I get a vintage Rolex?
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2016, 08:32:04 PM »
Vintage?

Firstly, there are many levels of `vintage watches'

the purist will insist on everything being the original.....

next, you have people who dont mind replacement parts, as long as its correct to the watch/period of the watch...And lets not talk about the so called reputable vintage dealers who might be supplying franken parts and yet wont declare it in their sales description (you never ask, so i didnt tell).  Google " John Mayer suing vintage watch dealer "...
Do you have the knowledge, ability to inspect ?
Just because a watch has a nice patina and faded bezel doesnt qualify it to be a proper vintage watch...More homework and due diligence is needed....

Then, there is the issue of a vintage watch should come with all the accessories- a calendar dated way back to 1970, a box with some exotic fungal smell, paper, box, manual ...And these things dont come cheap.....

patina? did the patina developed naturally? or was it induced? What is acceptable? creamy? yellowish? Orange? brownish?

These are some questions you need to ask before buying.  A very good friend once told me...its a minefield out there...be very careful..

In addition, a good question to ask is what do you plan to do with a vintage watch AFTER the exhaustive hunt and huge hole in your pocket...

1.  Wear as daily beater, enjoying the uniqueness as compared to those modern rolex models everyone seemed to be wearing.  This should be the main reason why we buy a watch, no?
 But what if the plexi glass crack? What if moisture seeps in and the dial gets stained? what if those beautiful patina markers starts to disintegrate?   You can bring the watch to RSC but be prepared to lose some of the vintage features that you initially and willingly paid for ...

2.  Wear occasionally and carefully....wooing the right crowd...  During a GTG, where everyone is showing their Pams, APs ....and you take out your creamy sub.....with that satisfying look of `even if you have money, maybe also cannot buy this watch.."  ;D 

3.  Keep in your safe....and let it aged longer....so that you can sell it and make some money from the next fella who got infected with the vintage virus... ;D ;D

the choice is yours mate...

Wow well written. I like this.

Vintage?  i guess its a cycle you will go through the excitement and anxiety  of chasing some extraordinary vintage watch and finally you realised what has been highlighted by pexus here should have get into you earlier.  The richest man in Hong Kong Mr Li only wears a Casio. He could have gone through the cycle and "enlighthened". But some argue whats life without excitement. So i think there is no right or wrong. We have to experience it. So go for it if you are ready.
"Train Yourself To Let Go Of Everything you Fear To Lose"

"The Fear Of Loss Is A Path To The Dark Side"

Yoda

Offline Timeless

« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2016, 03:09:54 PM »
do the due diligence, most vintage time pieces are not having genuine parts completely

Offline Isaac Tan

• Freshie
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2016, 01:12:43 PM »
MWF Bros, do actually love vintage & aged watch, but sometimes the MM are smaller, actually where can we find vintage watch like Hamilton, Minerva etc in Malaysia

Offline istick99

• Freshie
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2018, 11:32:14 AM »
The vintage market is a very difficult market to get into.

You really got to be an expert or have someone with expert experience before venturing to this field.

You don't want to get caught out with redials or franken pieces.

Yes true, require more knowledgeable situ to justified and identified. But if get one every things still stock and come full package as retail then of course is worth to own.

Offline cubangang

« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2018, 12:05:37 AM »
its all based on preference, if you're a guy who likes to get up to date items, I personally will advise to go for the newer versions