Author Topic: Buying Two Similar Watches So That Your Watch Will Have Spare Repair Parts?  (Read 2591 times)

Offline rimahsum

• Freshie
Would you buy two watches just so your first watch will have parts for to be repaired?

I love my watch but the movement and the watch itself is already around 6-8 years old. I had an experience with my grandfather's Seiko 5 from the 70s that stopped working, and Seiko Malaysia couldn't repair it for lack of parts.

So for my favorite watch, as insurance I am thinking of paying for the same watch, but on the second hand market (it costs around half the price, but still pricey la) and instead of wearing it, I will keep it in reserve, so that when my watch does break down I have spare parts from the second watch.

Would you guys do the same, or has done it before? Should I do it? We cannot be reassured that parts will live on forever - unless you own a Patek Phillippe but even that a repair costs RM50,000 plus.

Offline dualcarb

Depends on the watch that you want to buy. If it's something like a Seiko 5 with a more modern movement, which is shared with many other models, then you are good for at least the next 20 years. And you don't have to purchase a Patek to get parts availability. My grandfater's old manual wind Rolex finally broke down after more than fourty years of wear. We sent it back to Rolex, and they gave it a service, a light polish and replaced what was worn down and broken. The watch came back looking very nice and like new. You can easily purchase a used one for a little more than 10K for an older oyster perpetual or air King. Some older SS datejusts like the 16013 can also be bought for around 12K.

Offline Omnipotent

Depends on the watch that you want to buy. If it's something like a Seiko 5 with a more modern movement, which is shared with many other models, then you are good for at least the next 20 years. And you don't have to purchase a Patek to get parts availability. My grandfater's old manual wind Rolex finally broke down after more than fourty years of wear. We sent it back to Rolex, and they gave it a service, a light polish and replaced what was worn down and broken. The watch came back looking very nice and like new. You can easily purchase a used one for a little more than 10K for an older oyster perpetual or air King. Some older SS datejusts like the 16013 can also be bought for around 12K.

40 yrs without a service? That's amazing

Offline lancet

• Freshie
That why vintage pieces have so much appeal. The build quality is fantastic.