Author Topic: Vintage 70s Seiko  (Read 3568 times)

Offline kopykopy

Vintage 70s Seiko
« on: March 21, 2016, 07:47:49 PM »
Hi,  I do not know anything at all about vintage watches and owning one.  So please excuse me for my questions.  I have been gifted a Seiko Automatic 25 Jewels (No it is not a Seiko 5) 70s vintage retro looking watch by my Dad.  I believe it wasn't something very expensive but definately you can't get the design any more and it would be special having my Dad's Retro looking watch on my wrist.

It is not in working condition anymore and I will have to get it fixed to be in working order again.  The issues and answers I am looking for when owning that watch are as follows:-

1.  The steel bracelet and case have scratches (not very bad) - Should I get it polished like new?
2.  There is definately bracelet stretch - Should I fix the stretch?
3.  The acrylic glass also has scratches - do I polish out the scratches?

Thank you for your answers in advance.

Stock photo from internet

« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 07:59:48 PM by kopykopy »

Offline kopykopy

Re: Vintage 70s Seiko
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 07:53:33 PM »
Hi,  I do not know anything at all about vintage watches and owning one.  So please excuse me for my questions.  I have been gifted a Seiko Automatic 21 Jewels (No it is not a Seiko 5) 70s vintage retro looking watch by my Dad.  I believe it wasn't something very expensive but definately you can't get the design any more and it would be special having my Dad's Retro looking watch on my wrist.

It is not in working condition anymore and I will have to get it fixed to be in working order again.  The issues and answers I am looking for when owning that watch are as follows:-

1.  The steel bracelet and case have scratches (not very bad) - Should I get it polished like new?

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

Offline JeepWH

• Tick...tick...tick....
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 08:00:06 AM »
Hi, nice watch there.

As to the polishing of the case and bracelet, it all depends on your personal preference. Some like to keep the scratches there as a memento of the trials & tribulations faced by the watch.

There is a bit of bracelet stretch, but no worries, its not serious.

The crystal may be polished if the scratches are not too deep.

As to servicing, I have already sent you a PM.  ;D Check your inbox.

Regards.  :thumbsup:
Seiko fan.....

Offline Nickmax

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2016, 08:27:05 AM »
Hi,  I do not know anything at all about vintage watches and owning one.  So please excuse me for my questions.  I have been gifted a Seiko Automatic 21 Jewels (No it is not a Seiko 5) 70s vintage retro looking watch by my Dad.  I believe it wasn't something very expensive but definately you can't get the design any more and it would be special having my Dad's Retro looking watch on my wrist.

Hi JeepWH,
Can you pm me as well on where can I service a vintage Seiko watch as well.
Thanks

Offline rainbowfix

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2016, 10:55:17 AM »
My 2 cents.... keep everything original. Polish the crystal.

Offline kopykopy

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2016, 12:51:36 PM »
Thanks all for your posts