Poll

What's your thought on Panerai these days?

Still as great as before and still see many around
27 (42.2%)
Hype has died, not many seen
24 (37.5%)
Absolutely no love whatsoever
13 (20.3%)

Total Members Voted: 64

Author Topic: What's your thought on Panerai these days?  (Read 23513 times)

Offline arcsaber7

• Freshie
Re: What's your thought on Panerai these days?
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2016, 07:25:17 PM »
Like it or hate it, Panerai in my humble opinion, is a versatile watch to wear at anytime. As a watch enthusiast,is good to own a basic luminor (auto or manual wind) or basic radiomir (auto or manual wind). That should be enough for collection unless you are still hit by PANERAI 'S poison ;D. Unless some highly sought model, then can consider whether to purchase. :Cheers:

Offline Timeless

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2016, 06:12:14 PM »
Base model considered timeless, less is more

Offline Kesharoo

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2016, 02:08:10 PM »
Panerai is a very unique watch with interesting design and history. I was very big into PAMs and I have even visited the Florence watch shop and bought a PAM 170 OOR there. I lost a lot of respect for the management team due to the PAM 360 debacle and the PR problems after that. It left a bad taste in my mouth and I don't even go to the famous site anymore.

I still have 2 PAMs presently but it is highly unlikely for me to buy them anymore. Personally they are nice watches and a great alternative to the other sports watches around. Prices were crazy at one point in time and like other posters said ADs can never get the hot watches but you can always find them at the grey market sellers for lots of money. I guess it was too much of a good thing.

Were you in the hunt for the 360 too? I read a bit on that and it wasn't very well managed. Which are the two that you still keep? The 170 looks great!

I think there are at least 2 groups of the brand's following, mainly those that came and gone (perhaps might come back) and another that's just starting. It seems that they are more focused on getting new customers, leaving the loyalists. Hence, they've actually lost more because those that were loyal were the brand's advocates. And now a lot are gone.

Seems that the damage has been done and it'll take quite a lot to regain the trust of Paneristis...

Still have the 292 and the 170. Sold the Pam Zero ages ago. Don't ask how many straps and Pam goodies I have, some are still in the original packaging. Just to show you how gila Pam prices became, when I first got the 292, people were asking for me to part with it double what I paid for...now it is not so much in demand anymore.

I still have a soft spot for Pams but it is admiration from far for now....

Offline UnkerHo

« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2016, 02:56:49 PM »
I'm a closet Panerai fan.

Was at the Panerai boutique at Lucerne, Switzerland. The Swiss Ah Moi was trying to sell me a 112 for CFH5,000 after discounts and tax rebates. That's RM21,914.12 according to XE.com
She said it's a good time now to buy woh.... but I think i'll slowly hunt for a used one. Hehehe..

But what I think about Panerai echos what the Swiss Ah Moi told me.... it's either you like it, or you don't like it. There's no in-between..

Offline mikelcch

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2016, 04:02:56 PM »
The older models are much better. New models just announced at SIHH2016, I am not impressed.

Offline Timeless

« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2016, 08:28:48 PM »
The older models are much better. New models just announced at SIHH2016, I am not impressed.

Ya mate.. the engraved and white dial looks weird to me..

Offline megaronnt88

« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2016, 12:30:29 PM »
Hi Guys... noob here. I have a submariner, a PAM372 & PAM504. I think PAMs are a nice alternative, especially for guys with bigger arms and it has it's distinctive simple design which I like. Lately I tend to like the ceramics/composites more than the steels. That's why I'm considering putting up my 372 for sale.. but need to get to 25 posts 1st  :D

Offline Copierkid

« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2016, 08:02:13 PM »
using rolex movement is already a history, using eta with COSC has never been accurate, using in-house movement are worse than seiko movement with tons of problem

my only choice of pam design would be base pam like 000 005 111 112 and best 372

i do own pam before but no longer keeping any :)

Totally agree  ;)

Offline Timeless

« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2016, 08:24:11 AM »
Hi Guys... noob here. I have a submariner, a PAM372 & PAM504. I think PAMs are a nice alternative, especially for guys with bigger arms and it has it's distinctive simple design which I like. Lately I tend to like the ceramics/composites more than the steels. That's why I'm considering putting up my 372 for sale.. but need to get to 25 posts 1st  :D

Ceramic/composite are fragile material in a way, have to wear with care.. imo

Offline hidden830726

• watchdiary.me
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2016, 09:05:03 AM »
I think it is still a very respectable brand, it have its appeal, but the price isnt really helping. On top of it, the currency and economy doesnt help as well. It looks slowing down, most people who can afford a panerai will likely to continue affording them, its just maybe priority shift slightly to something else.
2 handful of Stowas, 4 Makara and 4 HMT...
https://www.instagram.com/hidden830726

Offline tonykpk

« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2016, 01:11:57 PM »
Well no matter how u sum it up, it's still one of the most recognizable and wearable big watch in the market (44mm), no ?. Regards n happy CNY.

Offline Khairul

« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2016, 05:12:02 PM »
I quite like their recent models in a more suave 42mm case. In general, yes I agree pre-owned prices are more realistic than it was in the last 3-5 years.

Offline Harry33

• Freshie
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2016, 09:43:48 PM »
Imo it's become more of a pretty boy watch nowadays.

Offline WatchW

« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2016, 05:03:59 PM »
Too many new models. Not enough discontinued models.

A consistent and timely discontinuation of models will attract a stronger collector's base for pre-owned, which in turn creates demand for the new models.

Offline hotshothunk

• Freshie
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2016, 03:27:29 PM »
i own a panerai and absolutely love the design. however, i feel it's a little on the heavy side which can be uncomfortable at times. great watch anyhow. waiting for pam to refresh their movements on luminor 1950

Offline rrk

• Freshie
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2016, 11:11:30 AM »
I have owned 3 Panerai's in the past few years. Currently the only one in my collection is the 512 (Radomir 42mm). Previously I had the Pam 90 and Pam392, they are really good looking watches but kind of feel heavy on the wrist after a while.

But that being said, I see a lot more people wearing it these days then before and it will only get more popular over time. Specially coz their entry level models are quite affordable and nice.

Offline Hope

• Freshie
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2016, 04:22:14 PM »
I never owned one,but I m loving it.
How much does it cost for entry model?

Offline Jedirat

« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2016, 04:58:46 PM »
I never owned one,but I m loving it.
How much does it cost for entry model?

Entry model: PAM000, PAM005, PAM111, PAM112 and PAM380. Range from RM17,000 to RM22,000, if I am not mistaken.

Offline kygan711

« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2016, 07:14:15 PM »
Entry model: PAM111- PAM560, PAM112 to PAM510 and PAM380 to PAM609.

Technically the old models were 56 hours power reserve while the new ones are 8 days. The old models are still around as it got discontinued recently while the new ones are also out.

Offline Hope

• Freshie
« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2016, 07:59:35 PM »
The entry model using ETA or inhouse movement?

Offline kygan711

« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2016, 08:54:28 PM »
old models eta (56hrs) new models ( 3 and 8 days) in house movement

Offline Hope

• Freshie
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2016, 09:37:01 PM »
Where can find best offer in town?
Last time I saw WING WXX online store selling PAM112 pre owned 2005 till now for RM16,800
Is it worth?

Offline nikfs1881

• "Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend."
« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2016, 01:51:12 AM »

Where can find best offer in town?
Last time I saw WING WXX online store selling PAM112 pre owned 2005 till now for RM16,800
Is it worth?

If you really love the design, then it is worth every penny....this is a much loved base panerai... But if you prefer in house, look for other PAM model....

Since i am not a big fan of panerai, i would pay a bit more for other brands- JLC, etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rolex Sea-dwellerC|Breitling Seawolf Blacksteel LE|Tag heuer Grand Carrera|Chopard Monaco Historique Time Attack|Baume et Mercier Capeland|Tudor Grantour|Omega Seamaster|Oris Artix Complication|Rolex 6694|Tag Heuer Link|Oris William F1|Tag Heuer 2000|Tissot T-Race LE|Rado D-Star 200 |Sistem51|Longines Hydroconquest Chrono|Seiko SRP577|Seiko SBDC003|Steinhart GMT Pepsi & Nav B44| Nomos Tangente 38

Offline mikelcch

« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2016, 12:38:53 PM »
Entry model: PAM111- PAM560, PAM112 to PAM510 and PAM380 to PAM609.

Technically the old models were 56 hours power reserve while the new ones are 8 days. The old models are still around as it got discontinued recently while the new ones are also out.

Are you sure the old models have been discontinued? I know (and hoping) they will be discontinued it but I haven't read anywhere that they have.

Offline kygan711

« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2016, 01:13:58 PM »
thats what announce in some of the panerai website articles/ news and some watch blog sites. Maybe you can pay a visit to the local AD in Malaysia to confirm if you need to know for sure.