Author Topic: Zenith El Primero Chronomaster Power Reserve or JLC Reverso Duo  (Read 3999 times)

Offline ax311

Hi guys, am new in this forum and need some assistance here on your feedbacks.

Am thinking to upgrade to a new watch and after many thoughts, I have decided on the finalists as below:

a. Zenith El Primero Chronomaster Power Reserve
http://www.zenith-watches.com/en_en/el-primero-chronomaster-power-reserve-22.html

b. Jaeger LeCoultre Reverso Duo
http://www.jaeger-lecoultre.com/US/en/watches/reverso-duoface/2718410#/t2

I am very much into the Zenith. The design to me is very special and looks very distinctive. I can't stop admiring the 'open heart' showing the moving movement.

The JLC also trigger my desire but the design doesn't capture my heart like the Zenith. Size wise it is also slightly on the small side for me.

Both watches are already over my initial budget. And the JLC is more RM5k more expensive than the Zenith, bringing it way over my target price.

But does the pedigree of JLC worth the extra money? Of course the JLC is a classic and always be one. I have no doubt that the general public will recognise the JLC name over Zenith.

On the other hand, I am also worried about the "long lifeness" of the Zenith. It's name was once down almost to the drain even with its history and all. It was only in recent years that it has made a comeback to life. I am afraid that it might end up losing its allure again in the future.

So, my main dilemma is having to spend so much money, should I go for the look (i.e. Zenith) or to go with a classic (i.e JLC)? Taking in considerations of what I have mentioned above.

Look forward to all of your opinions and feedbacks.

Thanks!

Offline niteowl

Re: Zenith El Primero Chronomaster Power Reserve or JLC Reverso Duo
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2015, 03:27:54 PM »
If you ask me, I'd say that you have already decided in many ways but just seeking validation.

"I am very much into the Zenith. The design to me is very special and looks very distinctive. I can't stop admiring the 'open heart' showing the moving movement.

The JLC also trigger my desire but the design doesn't capture my heart like the Zenith. Size wise it is also slightly on the small side for me."

Follow your heart and don't worry so much abut brand losing its prominence, etc...Both are great watches with great history and can never go wrong with any choice you make among these two.

Offline nikfs1881

• "Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend."
Zenith El Primero Chronomaster Power Reserve or JLC Reverso Duo
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2015, 05:08:20 PM »
If you ask me, I'd say that you have already decided in many ways but just seeking validation.

"I am very much into the Zenith. The design to me is very special and looks very distinctive. I can't stop admiring the 'open heart' showing the moving movement.

The JLC also trigger my desire but the design doesn't capture my heart like the Zenith. Size wise it is also slightly on the small side for me."

Follow your heart and don't worry so much abut brand losing its prominence, etc...Both are great watches with great history and can never go wrong with any choice you make among these two.

Fully agree...looks like you've pretty much made up your mind..... It goes back to what appeals to you the most and obviously if you ask, people will just confuse you and give different answers based on their own preference.....

For me, i will go with the jlc without any doubt, in fact i am saving for one now......probably buy used from reputable seller if i have the opportunity and save some money..... But again that's me..... Again, both are good watches and you could never go wrong going with either one....

Let us know once you have pulled the trigger!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rolex Sea-dwellerC|Breitling Seawolf Blacksteel LE|Tag heuer Grand Carrera|Chopard Monaco Historique Time Attack|Baume et Mercier Capeland|Tudor Grantour|Omega Seamaster|Oris Artix Complication|Rolex 6694|Tag Heuer Link|Oris William F1|Tag Heuer 2000|Tissot T-Race LE|Rado D-Star 200 |Sistem51|Longines Hydroconquest Chrono|Seiko SRP577|Seiko SBDC003|Steinhart GMT Pepsi & Nav B44| Nomos Tangente 38

Offline kingpin

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2015, 12:12:34 PM »
For me by comparing El Primero & Reverso, I will pick El Primero. I do like JLC, but not the Reverso. The shape is not that attractive. Both is in house, so not much to compare.. And I think you have make up your mind on Zenith, I will said..... Zenith +1.
IWC Pilot Chronograph 3777, Oris Big Crown Complication, Longines Hydro Conquest, Hamilton Khaki Field Titanium Auto, Tissot Couturier Quartz Chronograph, Orient FEM76002B9 Automatic, Seiko Chronograph World Time 7T62 OJHO, AVI-8 Solar Power AV-4018-03, Casio AE-1200WH, G-Shock GA-110RG, G-Shock G-300, G-Cool GT-000

Offline r3kahsttub

• Awake, but asleep
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2015, 12:42:59 PM »
Like most will say... buy the one that sings to you most. I do like both, but the JLC doesn't look good on every wrist. I tried them on, in different sizes, and couldn't find one that looks right on my wrist. The Zenith is much easier to match. That said, I personally would go for the open-heart TriColor.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 12:46:59 PM by r3kahsttub »

Offline ax311

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2015, 07:47:53 PM »
Thanks for the feedbacks and very knowledgeable opinions. It it all very helpful indeed.

The open-heart TriColor does look very nice. But I already have another chrono with almost the same chronograph layout on a white face too. So, if it is going to be the Zenith, I thought I want something with a black face this time around.

Just on a side note; surprisingly, the few dealers that I went to recommended the Power Reserve and did not even brought out the 1969 i.e. TriColor even though it is one of the flag carrier of the brand.

Anyway, I am giving myself another week to make up my mind (procrastinating :P ).

Thanks again guys!

Offline axaxax

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2015, 10:03:14 PM »
At one point of my horology journey, i was struck in the same predicament. IMHO, JLC would be a safer choice while Zenith is appeals more to my heart.

When in doubt, Why dont you re-examine your existing watch collection from different angle such as watch category, color scheme, shape, wearability in different events/functions & down right to what type of shirts you can match easily.

Sent from my SM-T705 using Tapatalk