Author Topic: IWC Big Pilot - 500901  (Read 32419 times)

Offline sidestreaker

IWC Big Pilot - 500901
« on: March 01, 2015, 12:11:30 PM »
Just want to share some pictures of my latest addition and what has been on my wrist recently. In the past couple of years I have already been collecting a number of dress watches and some would consider 'safe' choices. A pilot watch seems like a logical first step for me to add in a luxury sporty watch in my collection.

In the process of making that choice, I have spent many hours browsing through the many models of similar designs of all the fliegeruhr available in the market, produced by more than one manufacturer out there. I can safely say that most pilot watches out there look pretty good and can similarly gives you a strong wrist presence. Though they all look very similar and share the same aesthetic, but in terms of specification, the IWC big pilot stands out from the rest of the crowd with its 7 days PR, soft iron cage and with the heritage of the model behind it.

I've been eyeing on the IWC Big Pilot for a while now. However, the price really held me back as it is rather expensive for what it is. There are many used and grey market dealers out there but I'd like to have something with a full warranty and can give me a peace of mind.

It was a rare opportunity that I bump into an AD that offered a very attractive price, attractive enough for me to consider this being reasonable. I went home, discussed it with my wife, pondered over it for a couple of days and went back to seal the deal.

Here are some pictures to tell the rest of the story...

It was with me for most part for CNY  ;D ;D

My wrist is only at 6.5" but rather flat on the top, with not much of flesh underneath. However, it does sits rather comfortably. in fact more comfortable than most bracelet watches which I've tried. The (really) thick leather strap balances the look and secures it firmly on the wrist, without much wobbling and lost of balance. The larger deployant buckle also helps.

Quick observation= Overall time gain average at +4 per day or less. +6 when PR is high. 

With this watch, I'm really getting out of my comfort zone and took a risk in wearing a 46mm with long lugs and a thick case. However, after wearing it for a while, it feels like I've made the right choice and I'm totally happy with it. Wrist presence is great, clarity and simplicity of the dial and time telling is fantastic.

A comparison with my other favourite, a 39mm GS… perhaps the only 2 brands I’ll ever need…

The BP has a solid caseback, but shown here is the current IWC's own 7-days 50000 caliber which powers it. With the newer double barrel 7-days which has been announced early this year, could this BP be the last variation of this caliber model? Only time will tell...

Score
1.   Design  8/10
I love every bit of it. Some may look at it as an overly simplistic watch for what IWC is asking for, but for me, the simplicity and its somewhat crude aesthetic is refreshing.

2.   Durability 8/10
The operating manual of the Big Pilot suggests that it can take a bit more punishment than other watches within its stable. It does feel solid and conveys that confidence to the wearer. 

3.   Accuracy 8/10
Fair. Average of +4 per day

4.   Size and comfort 7/10
Not something that you’ll wear under the sleeves or cuffs, but definitely for the weekends!

5.   Legibility 9.5/10
The Big Pilot is designed for a purpose, and that is legibility. I can still give you the exact time, while running away from zombies or enduring a devastating earth quake.

6.   Ease of operation 8/10
Adjusting time and date is a breeze with the diamond crown. Can’t get any simpler than this. 

7.   Calibre 8/10
It’s the standard current caliber 51111 with 7 days power reserve, complete with pellaton winding system, soft iron cage, and shock absorber (as said in the manual,?). 

8.   Craftsmanship 6/10
Simple and well executed. Let’s be real, printed dial, brush surface and large hands aren’t exactly what we call fine craftsmanship in horology. But for what it is, it’s pretty darn good, and well put together.

9.   Value 6/10
I’ll be fair using the RRP to evaluate this. If it wasn’t for the deal I got from the AD, I’d still be pondering on acquiring this! 

10.   After-sales service n/a
New watch but so far my service relationship with IWC has been good. 

Average – 7.6/10

Thanks for reading!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 04:06:43 PM by sidestreaker »

Offline Clicko

Re: IWC Big Pilot - 500901
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 01:55:37 PM »
Nice watch and I really like your straight forward review with ratings  :thumbsup:

Offline meoramri

• Global Moderator
    • My Eastern Watch Collection
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 02:26:43 PM »
Good review!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Main watch blog visit: http://easternwatch.blogspot.com

Offline Yikkie

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 08:50:22 PM »
Very nice and honest review bro!  Thoroughly enjoyed reading it.  Love the Big Pilot... But as you have mentioned, the price is very prohibitive for what it is. Glad that you were able to get it at a great discount! Wear in good health bro!

Offline Shiang

• Hello! Hello!!
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 09:43:32 PM »
Great write up. I got to know the Big Pilot much better.

Offline sidestreaker

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 08:34:12 AM »
Cheers guys!

Offline splee

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 06:01:08 AM »
Thank you for sharing with us your honest and objective review of the IWC BP. Enjoy your new watch.

Offline Ek lex

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 06:12:18 PM »
Nice catch buddy!

Yes it does look big at the moment, 10-20 years down the road you will benefit from the legibility of it! Wear in good health buddy!  :Cheers:

Offline sidestreaker

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2015, 09:47:48 AM »
Nice catch buddy!

Yes it does look big at the moment, 10-20 years down the road you will benefit from the legibility of it! Wear in good health buddy!  :Cheers:

If it's big now, it'll always be big! However, I heard that IWC will even reduce some of the Pilot sizes in the next iteration of their update of this line soon, maybe starting with the ceramic watches.

10-20 years! I hope I can still retain most part of my youth and does not rely on further visual aid! Haha!

But yes, that statement does suggest one thing for sure, this watch is for keeps!

Bila yum cha?

Thank you for sharing with us your honest and objective review of the IWC BP. Enjoy your new watch.

Thank you for the kind words. Again the number is just an objective way of scoring and there's no way of quantifying emotions.

In this case, it's getting a lot of wrist time!  ;D

Offline Ek lex

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2015, 09:55:23 PM »
Nice catch buddy!

If it's big now, it'll always be big! However, I heard that IWC will even reduce some of the Pilot sizes in the next iteration of their update of this line soon, maybe starting with the ceramic watches.

10-20 years! I hope I can still retain most part of my youth and does not rely on further visual aid! Haha!

But yes, that statement does suggest one thing for sure, this watch is for keeps!

Bila yum cha?

Thank you for the kind words. Again the number is just an objective way of scoring and there's no way of quantifying emotions.

In this case, it's getting a lot of wrist time!  ;D

Anytime buddy, just give me a buzz when you come up north, please bring along the new toy for me to admire...  :Cheers:
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 09:57:22 PM by Ek lex »

Offline D'Andy

• Success. It's a mind game.
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2015, 10:32:14 AM »
Thanks for an intriquing review, mate...
Watch hobbyist @ andywristwatches.blogspot.com. Current faves in my collection :

Rolex | Omega | Bell & Ross | Panerai | Seiko | G-Shock |

Offline treason

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2015, 02:58:21 PM »
Thanks for the review! One of my dream watches but felt humongous the last time I tried it on..strangely I now have a 45mm Radiomir and I've gotten used to the size so maybe its time to try the big pilot on again!

Offline liy3ng3n

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2015, 01:05:54 PM »
I now have a Rolex Master II, Im thinking to change to IWC.. IWC just looked too elegant !

Offline Spider boy

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2015, 10:48:29 AM »
Nice pilot and a great review , pictures are clear and points made simple and straight forward  !  one day i will want to this on my wrist..  :thumbsup: !

Offline cyclop20

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2015, 11:28:41 AM »

the pilot that I could afford... lol, good review! nice picture! well done!

[no soliciting messages - forum mods]
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 11:46:46 AM by ck77 »

Offline theseira

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2015, 07:36:15 AM »
This watch is damn cool!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
very good review!

Offline nikfs1881

• "Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend."
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2015, 02:37:25 AM »
Agreed....very good review and super nice watch......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rolex Sea-dwellerC|Breitling Seawolf Blacksteel LE|Tag heuer Grand Carrera|Chopard Monaco Historique Time Attack|Baume et Mercier Capeland|Tudor Grantour|Omega Seamaster|Oris Artix Complication|Rolex 6694|Tag Heuer Link|Oris William F1|Tag Heuer 2000|Tissot T-Race LE|Rado D-Star 200 |Sistem51|Longines Hydroconquest Chrono|Seiko SRP577|Seiko SBDC003|Steinhart GMT Pepsi & Nav B44| Nomos Tangente 38

Offline watchfreak

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2015, 11:03:11 PM »
Great review & indeed a handsome purchase.

Do u mind pm me which AD u went to? Thinking of getting an IWC too

Offline artyca

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2015, 08:09:22 PM »
Thanks for the great review of an iconic watch!

Offline tatte

• Freshie
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2016, 06:38:53 AM »
 Super review. Great watch with brilliant heritage.

Offline Timeless

« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2016, 10:17:23 AM »
great review with details, explored from 0-100 comprehensively

Offline luffyandboa

• second hand rolex watch
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2016, 10:09:19 PM »
very very nice watch

Offline cheongwenjun

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2016, 05:10:03 PM »