Author Topic: (need help) Below 5k range of swiss made automatic watch  (Read 8579 times)

Offline cklee2020

(need help) Below 5k range of swiss made automatic watch
« on: February 18, 2015, 04:08:31 PM »
To all experiences collectors.

With budget below/around 5k, which automatic swiss made watch would you recommend?
1. What brand? Example: Frederique Constant, Oris, Rado?? Any alternative?
2. Preferable classic/signature model of the brand. Something like Seven Friday, Panerai, B&R. They have design that very unique and signature.

Thank you in advance for your input here.

Offline Narco

Re: (need help) Below 5k range of swiss made automatic watch
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 04:11:21 PM »
Bro, go and see what u like. If it sings and looks good on ur wrist and jive with ur needs, that's the one for u  ;D

Offline cklee2020

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 04:41:32 PM »
Bro, go and see what u like. If it sings and looks good on ur wrist and jive with ur needs, that's the one for u  ;D

Bro, it's really difficult to pick from hundreds of models.
Therefore would like to minimize the range. Maybe from focusing on 1-2brands.
This would be entry level watch. :)

Offline Narco

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 06:02:18 PM »
Bro, let us help u:

1. What type of watch template design that u like. Sports, diver, racer, classy, mechanical look, bit of avant grade and livelier or plain simple of minimalist?

2. What do u want the watch to serve u. Attracts compliment and recognition, practical use, hold its resale price reasonably or something sturdy that can take all the beating as a daily beater? For me, each watch serve a different purposes.

Two basic questions that I always ask before committing. Which lead me into my third final question which is bit personal,  what is the historical accomplishment of the watch or the brand that the watch is associated with. Panerai for example attracts me when the story of the Italian commando ride  a human torpedo and wear Radiomir/Luminor during their mission. It's personal and I like that kind of personal historical touch to a watch I'm buying. Of course I'll do lots n lots of homework too. But that's just me  ;D

I know this isn't helping much. All the brands unmentioned are of course good brands. Nothing is wrong going with any of that. I'm a dive watch lover and Oris is not bad if a person like the sturdy form of Oris and its association with creating divers watch. But I never really like it due to its weight and size.

For me it's like getting married. Millions of women out there but somehow just ONE that u can't take ur eyes away and I'm aiming at one now.. Hehe.. Hope this helps mate although it's a bit long.

Offline mike

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2015, 07:25:16 PM »
Anything but sevenfriday. Lol

You can have a look at Longines Legend Diver. If you have a good bargain you can get it a little above ur budget.

Offline cklee2020

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2015, 08:21:15 PM »
Bro, let us help u:

1. What type of watch template design that u like. Sports, diver, racer, classy, mechanical look, bit of avant grade and livelier or plain simple of minimalist?

2. What do u want the watch to serve u. Attracts compliment and recognition, practical use, hold its resale price reasonably or something sturdy that can take all the beating as a daily beater? For me, each watch serve a different purposes.

Two basic questions that I always ask before committing. Which lead me into my third final question which is bit personal,  what is the historical accomplishment of the watch or the brand that the watch is associated with. Panerai for example attracts me when the story of the Italian commando ride  a human torpedo and wear Radiomir/Luminor during their mission. It's personal and I like that kind of personal historical touch to a watch I'm buying. Of course I'll do lots n lots of homework too. But that's just me  ;D

I know this isn't helping much. All the brands unmentioned are of course good brands. Nothing is wrong going with any of that. I'm a dive watch lover and Oris is not bad if a person like the sturdy form of Oris and its association with creating divers watch. But I never really like it due to its weight and size.

For me it's like getting married. Millions of women out there but somehow just ONE that u can't take ur eyes away and I'm aiming at one now.. Hehe.. Hope this helps mate although it's a bit long.

Bro.
Yea you are right.
1. I'm more to mechanical & classic look. Suitable for casual & formal look.

2. And this exactly purpose. I understand with my budget, it's quite difficult to attract compliments and recognition. But still I do hope this could show some recognition. Not so focus on the practical use purpose.

Perhaps some particular brand with particular series could help to minimize my selection?
If you have some ideas, appreciated a lot in advance.

Offline Narco

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2015, 08:50:27 PM »
Agreeing to mikster. LLD is a good choice below RM5k which u can go pre-owned. Brand new is just slight up from ur budget. Oris BC3 is not bad too. If u don't mind pre-owned, u might have Omega Seamaster, Tag Aquaracer and a few others under ur wings of choices bro.

Offline kingpin

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2015, 01:11:29 AM »
You can get anything in the mentioned list except Sevenfriday.  ;)
IWC Pilot Chronograph 3777, Oris Big Crown Complication, Longines Hydro Conquest, Hamilton Khaki Field Titanium Auto, Tissot Couturier Quartz Chronograph, Orient FEM76002B9 Automatic, Seiko Chronograph World Time 7T62 OJHO, AVI-8 Solar Power AV-4018-03, Casio AE-1200WH, G-Shock GA-110RG, G-Shock G-300, G-Cool GT-000

Offline Timeless

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2015, 05:46:07 AM »
U can have more choices on pre owned brand ie ball, longines, zenith etc.

Offline spacewalker

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2015, 07:11:41 AM »
if you are looking for an automatic chronograph, I suggest the Mido Multifort. Suit your budget and it also use Valjoux 7750, reputable movement. For day date function or gmt function try checkout Longines conquest GMT or Ball Fireman series. For Bell & Ross you have to rise your budget to 7K.

Offline hidden830726

• watchdiary.me
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2015, 08:05:59 AM »
Swiss made really that important? If yes than so be it, if not then potentially u can have more choices.
2 handful of Stowas, 4 Makara and 4 HMT...
https://www.instagram.com/hidden830726

Offline cklee2020

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2015, 03:36:40 PM »
Thanks for the sharing. Maybe where can I have a look on pre-owned watches?
Is there any reliable website got such info?

Offline kingpin

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2015, 05:07:42 PM »
Check this out. Just found it in the pre-owned link. Lucky you.

http://www.malaysiawatchforum.com/index.php/topic,14504.0.html

IWC Pilot Chronograph 3777, Oris Big Crown Complication, Longines Hydro Conquest, Hamilton Khaki Field Titanium Auto, Tissot Couturier Quartz Chronograph, Orient FEM76002B9 Automatic, Seiko Chronograph World Time 7T62 OJHO, AVI-8 Solar Power AV-4018-03, Casio AE-1200WH, G-Shock GA-110RG, G-Shock G-300, G-Cool GT-000

Offline Narco

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2015, 05:16:16 PM »
Nice one!

Offline roystock

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2015, 05:52:30 PM »
I like the longines heritage line, many classic designs

Offline cklee2020

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2015, 10:49:48 AM »
Any famous reliable selling pre-owned watch shop in Penang?
I don't think they sell pre-owned price range lower than 10k.
Do they?

Offline ViiiLaix

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2015, 06:42:30 AM »
Maybe Steinhart which is value for money with their ETA2824

Offline Narco

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2015, 07:05:03 AM »
Do they?

I can only name two pre-owned merchants in Penang and yes, both do sell watches below RM5k. However, Penang choices for pre-owned are still limited unlike KL/Selangor.

Offline cklee2020

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2015, 08:14:16 AM »
Do they?

I can only name two pre-owned merchants in Penang and yes, both do sell watches below RM5k. However, Penang choices for pre-owned are still limited unlike KL/Selangor.

May I ask where are these 2 shops located?

Offline Narco

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2015, 10:28:51 AM »
From what I know, both are freelance seller without a physical shop. Just give them a call, set a place and they will bring the watch to u. I have not heard of any complaints yet so far and both have been in the business for years. PM me if u want the details bro. Suddenly a third merchant pop-up. This 3rd seller has a small shop in Penang Plaza.

Offline Friedrice

• qui parle trop manque souvent
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2015, 03:12:34 PM »
At below 5k Swiss automatic, you will need to dip your toes into the vintage market. Passions in Bangsar Village sells quite a number of preowned vintage pieces. And they are very reputable even though their prices are a bit high. It's better to pay a bit more than to get a frankenwatch.

Vintage pieces which are below 5k are Omega, Rolex and LeCoultre. LeCoultre Memovox from the 50s is a good buy at this price segment. But remember that vintage pieces are not water resistant so don't take them swimming and remove them from your wrist when going outdoors in the heavy rain.
Rolex datejust 16200
Rolex Submariner Date 116610LN
Omega Aqua Terra Co-Axial 8500
Omega seamaster co-axial GMT 2535.80
Omega speedmaster sapphire sandwich 3573.50
Breitling Avenger II GMT
Longines Legend Diver Date
Zenith 2532
Omega seamaster bumper 355
Tissot T-Touch expert
Ball engineer master ii diver
Ball trainmaster pulsemeter
Tag heuer aqua racer automatic

Offline cklee2020

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2015, 08:26:17 AM »
From what I know, both are freelance seller without a physical shop. Just give them a call, set a place and they will bring the watch to u. I have not heard of any complaints yet so far and both have been in the business for years. PM me if u want the details bro. Suddenly a third merchant pop-up. This 3rd seller has a small shop in Penang Plaza.

All of a sudden, one thing comes up to my mind.
How to distinguish the authenticity?
I think this is quite important when comes to purchase pre-owned watch, am I right?

Offline Narco

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2015, 10:19:33 AM »
U are right bro.. There comes the saying 'buy the seller first'.

What I normally do is check the background of the merchant. If doubtful, then walk away. Then look at the item, inspect the item or even bring the item for verification if needed. These are some of the steps needed to be taken in buying pre-owned. Of course, doing some research to build our understanding in distinguishing fake and the real stuff helps.

Some might find doing so as a hassle. So they opt for AD and buy new.

Offline cklee2020

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2015, 11:28:50 AM »
U are right bro.. There comes the saying 'buy the seller first'.

What I normally do is check the background of the merchant. If doubtful, then walk away. Then look at the item, inspect the item or even bring the item for verification if needed. These are some of the steps needed to be taken in buying pre-owned. Of course, doing some research to build our understanding in distinguishing fake and the real stuff helps.

Some might find doing so as a hassle. So they opt for AD and buy new.

Thanks. By the way, you mentioned about the small shop in Penang plaza.
May I know what's the name of the shop? Or may I know who are the pre-owned free lance merchants?

Offline Narco

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2015, 08:26:13 PM »
PM me bro for details.