Author Topic: Review : Aquadive Bathysphere 100 GMT Yellow  (Read 6346 times)

Offline toolkit21

Review : Aquadive Bathysphere 100 GMT Yellow
« on: February 02, 2015, 07:58:25 PM »
I had an Aquadive BS100 DLC the whole of last year and wore it quite a lot. Loved how the DLC case has the ability to withstand the usual knocks and scratches without showing any signs of wear. Pairing it with an Isofrane, in a couple of different colours, gives it various style. And Isofrane is the best fit for an Aquadive. Its quite a chunk of metal, thus a little heavier than a G-Shock (for example) or titanium case pieces. So with the strap, being light and secure, it holds the head in place very well without being suffocating on the wrist.

And then when Aquadive announced the arrival of BS500 Fleurier Twin Barrel thru pre-order, I immediately placed my booking for the in-house manufacture movement made by Vaucher. (They make movements for Cartier, Richard Mille, Parmigiani Fleurier and the likes.) So you know its going to be awesome piece. Off went the BS100 DLC for the funds and space in cabinet before the arrival of this new affordable high-end dive watch. However, I was (in those few waiting months) contemplating between the BS500 or this GMT Yellow because both are terribly nice piece, sort of an upgrade from the DLC design. After much deliberation I decided to go with the GMT Yellow. Its the colours I tell you. Tricked my eye into it, and when its wrapped on a yellow Isofrane it made more sense. I made an email to Aquadive and said I'd like to get the GMT Yellow piece instead of a BS500, swapping my deposit (which has been in there for more than 6 months I think). They agreed and very promptly too. Some awesome customer service from the team.

Once the confirmation was given, the Fedex package sent on Monday was at my doorstep on Wednesday. That's pretty darn fast half way around the world. I think courier charges are not cheap for this fast turnaround. Below are pictures of my unboxing, followed by a short review;

They've changed the box design from a previously simple looking to this expensive looking and larger unit. Gone is the DVD, but comes with regulated certificate and warranty card. The paper used to write these certificate get smudge easily if the ink doesn't dry enough. Even if it does, the folding crease you get smacks of a cheap look, in my opinion. A new type of paper/material is in the works now and I'm sure it'll be great as well. I wonder if I can get mine swapped with the new design. A pair of spring bar is packed in a tiny cylindrical clear case.

So, what do I think of the GMT Yellow? I must say I really like how the brushed steel looks alive, especially when I've been looking at my black DLC case for 1 year and it didn't shine very much. Well, it served its purpose very well. So the GMT Yellow was my choice because of the rehaut ring in yellow caught my eye as a very unique feature, something like the yellow on IWC Aquatimer 3568. Turquoise and the Orange piece was ok ok for me.

Sides of the case had horizontal brushing. Top case, where it slopes into the sides, is circular brushing. And the chamfer (edge connecting top and side at 45 degrees) is polished, looking like an outline to break the case's overall brush finishing. Nice nice nice... Its German steel is milled and machined to very tight angles and tolerance, and you can feel its a quality piece of work. Its a little sharp to the touch. But I think its because of the high accuracy in their machining ability for them to pull off this finished case. Many pieces I've had before has some sanding down done, which I assume to cover their flaws or inability to make such tight angles.

As usual in Aquadive watches, HRV (Helium Release Valve) is located where the bottom strap lugs are. Good hiding place, not needing to boast its credentials loudly. The crown doesn't have guards, sitting lonely along the side of the case. Sometimes it looks like it sticks out like a sore thumb, sometimes it looks its made to stand out like a sore thumb. Well either way, it looks well made.

Bezel is shiny ceramic and this font/layout/design is much better looking than BS100 range because they look a little small and crowded. Bezel action turns were a little stiff. Previous BS100 DLC had a better, smoother and sharper bezel turn compared to this GMT.

Dial is black, flat and bland, carrying the following words;
Bathysphere 100 GMT
1000 Meters / 3300 Ft
Automatic

Hands of the GMT is a triangle outline, rotating a full circle every 24 hours. This is a ETA 2893 movement, which is why winding the crown is a much much smoother action compared to the BS100 DLC (an ETA 2836 movement). I love winding it, without needing much 'push' action.

Case back is sealed, but has on it inscribed a lot of detail about its manufacturing, serial number, model number, country of origin, etc. No fancy sea monster or fairy tale mythical creature to symbolise this as a dive watch. I like it without.

Best thing about an Aquadive is the Isofrane strap it comes with. I can never get enough of the vanilla smell and flexibility to wear them. You'll need to try it on yourself to know what it feels like. The RS design buckle is also brushed, with AQUADIVE engraved onto it. I'm on the 3rd last hole, with a wrist of 6.75" which I think is medium width. So if you're 6" I think the last hole will still be fine. However you'll need to contend with the longer end strap tail.

Overall am happy with this purchase, of which I think I'll probably go for the BS500 Fleurier next. Or another new design piece?

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
Re: Review : Aquadive Bathysphere 100 GMT Yellow
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 09:02:24 PM »
looks cool.

HV at bottom of the case is a gd idea.

2893 is base on 2892. 2892 is finer and thinner movement from ETA, normally used by higher price point watches

2836 is actually a thicker work horse movement from ETA

Offline Yikkie

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 09:41:33 PM »
Nice review bro.  That is an awesome watch.   I am smitten with the bronze version of the Aquadive.   

Sweet!

Offline JeepWH

• Tick...tick...tick....
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2015, 07:15:10 AM »
Great review and thanks for sharing.  :Cheers:

It really looks its part as a dive watch.

Enjoy.  :thumbsup:
Seiko fan.....

Offline jacky8888

• Global Moderator
  • More than meets the eye
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2015, 09:06:30 AM »
looks pretty rock solid...

thanks for sharing....
Jacky Wong

Offline toolkit21

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2015, 09:53:59 PM »
The stainless steel block it was cut from is quite a solid piece of metal.
There's just an amazingly tight tolerance in machining.
And even finishing is well made; both its brushed, circular and polish surfaces.

Does not have the made-in-the-east micro brands type of finishing. You'll just need to hold it to feel the quality.
That's why I took the photos without strap on, just to see the detailing.

Aquadive Bronze uses an improved version of the popular CuSn8. Remember to order it with stainless steel caseback.