Author Topic: Your Opinion?  (Read 33045 times)

Offline Nobby

• Freshie
Re: Your Opinion?
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2015, 11:33:13 AM »
If you are looking to pass on an icon of a watch, then I guess a classic styled 2015 SubC works...kind of  :-\

However, if you with the watch to be heavier on the Iconic and a decent investment to boot, then you should consider maybe a mint non-ceramic example from a few years back ie. one that is beginning to show an appreciation in price right now.

My opinion...True icons need a little exclusivity, therefore buy him something that is much sought after right now...in 20 years time you then hand over not only an icon, but an ever appreciating investment. For the price range you are looking at, maybe a mint late 80's Daytona 16520 - already appreciating nicely and a very nice inheritance 15 - 20 years hence.

Cheers
Nobby

Offline moxxjet

« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2015, 12:07:36 PM »
My opinion...True icons need a little exclusivity, therefore buy him something that is much sought after right now...in 20 years time you then hand over not only an icon, but an ever appreciating investment.

Very well said sir  :thumbsup:

Offline dankhar

« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2015, 01:36:59 PM »
Rolex 116710LN
GMT for me  ;D
Sometimes the best thing to do is ... absolutely nothing!

Offline vtecdiehard

« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2015, 07:40:41 PM »
1 watch that means alot to you and passing down from generation sounds cool. love the sentimental thought of it there.
Lucky son...are you still adopting?
Living the life to fullest

Offline Narco

« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2015, 09:20:41 PM »
U better que.. I'm in line  ;D

Offline silverstan

« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2015, 07:58:51 AM »
while in search of batman, i was offered a pepsi, 1675. no box no paper. But it's a reputable seller got it from a collector.

Should i accept the offer?

Offline contender

« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2015, 09:05:55 AM »
Since it will be handed down to your son, better get a brand new piece from AD .....

Offline pexus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #57 on: February 02, 2015, 11:08:57 AM »
while in search of batman, i was offered a pepsi, 1675. no box no paper. But it's a reputable seller got it from a collector.

Should i accept the offer?

i love vintages.  And they don't come better than the 1675
But do consider these options
1.  you son will grow up to become a WIS , and specifically, vintage pieces.  Then this will be a wonderful choice
2.  Your son will become a WIS, but he wants something he can wear and enjoy, without much worry.  The 1675 will require service and proper replacement of parts.  You might not want to hand in down this burden
3.  You son will not become a WIS but would appreciate that his dad gave him a nice Rolex.  So, modern Rolex is the best bet here.

If you want something that that can be worn worry free for many years and yet still maintain that classy feel, maybe a 16710 Pepsi?
All the best. 
`Learning to appreciate my watch as a tool, and not some fancy branded jewelry'

Offline silverstan

« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2015, 04:45:10 PM »
Sorry didn't make it clear.
This is for myself. Not for my kid. will get batman for him.
Checked the serial, should be manufactured at year 1978. It's same age as me. Always wanted to look for a watch from year 1978.

then no need to think lor...Pull the trigger now!  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 08:35:06 AM by pexus »

Offline moxxjet

« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2015, 05:38:29 PM »
One thing with the newer GMTs that won my heart is the font and the ceramic bezel..makes the older fonts look a tad bit 'weak'

Offline 2ndOpinion

« Reply #60 on: February 02, 2015, 10:40:47 PM »
Sorry didn't make it clear.
This is for myself. Not for my kid. will get batman for him.
Checked the serial, should be manufactured at year 1978. It's same age as me. Always wanted to look for a watch from year 1978.

No box, no paper would be a deal breaker for me. Not so much to support the authenticity but for completeness as a collectable, and particularly for a year that's personally significant to you.

As for your kid, pick the one Rolex that you like, NOT that I think a Rolex would -  "Whoa! Thank's dad! How did you ever guess I've always wanted a NOS Rolex?! - on his 18th birthday.

Offline Narco

« Reply #61 on: February 03, 2015, 06:15:54 AM »
Born in 1978 and u can afford to have Rolexes.. I'm amazed.

Offline kenji1903

• My travel blog :P
« Reply #62 on: February 03, 2015, 08:04:45 AM »
Born in 1978 and u can afford to have Rolexes.. I'm amazed.
lots of young capable chaps around, that's why its always fun browsing wrist shots in MWF ;D

Offline Everdying

« Reply #63 on: February 03, 2015, 08:08:28 AM »
whats wrong with 1978? not like this is the year 1998.
36yrs old, plenty of time to save up rm20k over working so many years.

Offline silverstan

« Reply #64 on: February 03, 2015, 08:21:04 AM »
well, i raise up from a poor family, during my childhood, my mum work so hard to give the best to me. A seiko for my graduation is already very expensive watch for me. I told myself i need to give my family the best i can. I take every moment in my life a precise lesson and I work hard to achieve my goal. I always set a target for myself.  :Cheers:

36 years old is consider old already.. hahaha.  ;D

Offline moxxjet

« Reply #65 on: February 03, 2015, 08:32:53 AM »
And you should be proud of your accomplishments and humble upbringing sir! Kudos to that :)

Offline moxxjet

« Reply #66 on: February 03, 2015, 08:34:03 AM »
Back to the watch..erm, no box no paper = red flag to me. You don't want to end up trying to justify your watch later in time when you're letting it go ..

Offline silverstan

« Reply #67 on: February 03, 2015, 08:38:59 AM »
Back to the watch..erm, no box no paper = red flag to me. You don't want to end up trying to justify your watch later in time when you're letting it go ..

That's true. Should hunt for a better one. At least, with box and paper.

Thanks for all the input guys. Appreciated.

Offline pexus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #68 on: February 03, 2015, 08:39:57 AM »
A 1675 with box and paper won't come cheap.  A 16710, yes,  you will bump into one occasionally.

If you can bring yourself to pay the extra money for a full set, then wait,  scout around. But not easy to find locally.

There are seller overseas that offer full set.  But with the crazy exchange rate, be prepared for at least RM 22k (if i remember the price correctly)

Also, more importantly, the dial, the end links, bezel.. whether it matches the period,, blah blah blah. Vintage is a minefield..
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 08:42:41 AM by pexus »

Offline silverstan

« Reply #69 on: February 03, 2015, 08:57:15 AM »
I have a friend who collect vintage rolexes. When come to vintage rolex, always discuss with him.

Offline jason_recliner

« Reply #70 on: February 03, 2015, 09:02:11 AM »
No boxes and papers isn't a big deal on a watch to be written and enjoyed, especially a watch that old. Very few full sets from the 60s remain. But it's critical to knew exactly what you are buying with vintage. E.g. original crown, hands, even dial? Or replaced? Case had been polished? Etc, etc

Offline axaxax

« Reply #71 on: February 03, 2015, 10:31:57 AM »
on the topic of steel or ceramic bezel.
whats your kid's temperament? if he is more of an active person, you should just go for the ceramic verses the easily scratched steel bezel.

never the less, i vote for the green hulk! keep the pepsi dial for yourself  :Dancing_banana:

Offline pexus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #72 on: February 03, 2015, 04:20:55 PM »
I have a friend who collect vintage rolexes. When come to vintage rolex, always discuss with him.

all the best..you will love the GMT pepsi.....my 16750 says hi... ;D

Offline Narco

« Reply #73 on: February 03, 2015, 04:22:06 PM »
Nothing is wrong with 1978. Based on my judgement, 36 year old is the year where most men are about to reach year of stability in life. Buying houses, bits of investment, money on the kids education and lots of other commitment too. Not to forget preparing for early retirement for some. Most age of luxury started between 40s and above.

It means, our friend silverstan has reach a certain degree of success and from the story he told, it is something motivating. So, do not get me wrong.

Kenji1903 - yep, lot of financially capable young chap nowadays. I can only afford an orient at that age of silverstan.

Alexngbk, i CONCUR to that. But our friend here already using the HULK.

Offline silverstan

« Reply #74 on: February 03, 2015, 05:25:22 PM »
It is an old 50th anniversary LV, not hulk. how i wish i have hulk with me.  ;D

I do envy achiever, so i told myself to be an achiever as well.
Life's short, do what can make you happy in a right way.