Author Topic: First Impression of Citizen Promaster Aqualand Depth Meter (Model no : BN2024-05E  (Read 17466 times)

Offline D'Andy

• Success. It's a mind game.
Full unabridged version @ http://andywristwatches.blogspot.com/2015/01/first-impression-citizen-promaster.html  :Cheers:

Citizen first watch with depth meter under the guise of Aqualand series made its debut in 1985. Ten years later in 1995, the Company perfected its Eco-Drive movement such that battery replacement was a thing of the past. Thirty years since the 1985 debut of Aqualand i.e. now in 2015, I have in my hands the Baselworld 2014-released Aqualand with Eco-Drive movement embodied in an EcoZilla behemoth case. Just imagine, a mere 35 hours of exposure to sunlight would power this baby for 6 months at a time!

Citizen reported that the case was inspired by clamshells, and a quick glance around its 52.5mm-wide case would revealed the similarities. The 2-piece construction were rather thick at 18.5mm, and looked tougher than the average Casio G-Shock and was reminiscent of my Ball Hydrocarbon. The 6 allen keys around the bezel added a touch of rugged toughness to the overall design, which I rather liked.

The many crowns and hands adorning the watch were not just for show, and had actual functionalities as per the following :

The hands were designed in such a way that they would be still evident even when located at the same locations. The designers had clearly thought things through when they were designing this marvellous piece. Divers would appreciate the Maximum Depth Memory and Quick Ascent Alarm functionalities at a press of the respective crowns, but desk divers like myself would note these nice-to-have functions as simply novelties.

With the technicalities out of the way, let's look at more life shots of the EcoZilla Depth Master and the obligatory wrist shot.

The water pressure sensor was shaped like a gun barrel or rotary phone dial, and remarkably-unique from the other Diver watches in the market.

The main crown was signed with the Promaster logo, befitting its status.

The watch has a heft of a weight to it and you would know that you have this Godzilla on your wrist without fail. And it has real wrist presence as I had a few people stopping me when I was at Ikea earlier, just to ask about the watch and marvel on with twinkles in their eyes. I duly-refered them to look at Alternative Channels' advert themselves.

Being an Isofrane fan, I had rather high expectations for my rubber straps and other than the vulcanised rubber on my Ball Hydrocarbon, I had yet to note another rubber strap that felt good right from box.

And having owned 2 EcoZillas of the past, I knew from experience that those 24mm Citizen rubber straps on those watches were rather hard and unwieldy. But I am glad to report that the EcoZilla Depth Master's 22mm polyurethane strap felt soft and comfortable to the wrist, vast marked improvements since the original EcoZilla's days. And that Citizen-signed buckle was simply bold and eye-catching.

And finally, at the bead-blasted rear case, the pertinent information had been laser-etched with precision. And the important "Made in Japan" status was clearly visible for JDM-lovers.

One of my previous EcoZilla was modded with adapters for fitting aftermarket straps onto it, and I checked if Suppaparts had since designed any adapters for this EcoZilla Depth Master. And woohoo, so it seemed that Suppaparts had just only designed and fabricated the adapters for this model, which was available on sale at USD105 inclusive of courier charges. And yes, I would be making an order towards this adapter to fit some nice Nato straps onto this great watch. Enjoy these adapter pictures from Suppa.

And finally, for a parting shot of this very macho and interesting EcoZilla Depth Master. Time would tell if it would achieve cult status amongst Diver watch lovers similar to that of the original EcoZilla; but for now, I am just glad to have this piece in my collection after such a long search and wait...

« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 09:05:05 PM by andytagheuer »
Watch hobbyist @ andywristwatches.blogspot.com. Current faves in my collection :

Rolex | Omega | Bell & Ross | Panerai | Seiko | G-Shock |

Offline meoramri

• Global Moderator
    • My Eastern Watch Collection
Cool write-up. Congrats!
Main watch blog visit: http://easternwatch.blogspot.com

Offline D'Andy

Cool write-up. Congrats!

Cheers, mate...  :Cheers:
Watch hobbyist @ andywristwatches.blogspot.com. Current faves in my collection :

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
massive construction !

looks real solid. need to see some real piece... if you joining MWF annual gtg this saturday, pls bring it along

Offline JeepWH

• Tick...tick...tick....
Great tool watch.

Love the size and look of it.

Congrats on owning one.  :thumbsup:

Very good write up too, thanks for sharing. :Cheers:
Seiko fan.....

Offline D'Andy

Thanks for the kind words, mates. I have to pick-up a family member at KLIA this Saturday- let's see if the time permits for my participation at the GTG. If I can make it, I'll bring this watch there for show-and-tell, Chris  :Cheers:

Offline vinorus

A beautiful monster  ;) :thumbsup:
The Daytona C in Steel is my dream watch now...