Author Topic: First Impression of Casio G-Shock Camo (model no. GD-120CM-8)  (Read 8039 times)

Offline D'Andy

• Success. It's a mind game.
First Impression of Casio G-Shock Camo (model no. GD-120CM-8)
« on: December 07, 2014, 08:52:20 PM »
Sorry, Mod, this should be under Watch Reviews instead of Reviews of Watch Accessories.

http://andywristwatches.blogspot.com/2014/12/first-impression-casio-g-shock-camo.html

In my previous blog entry, I wrote about my desire to get a cheap knockabout watch otherwise known as Casio G-Shock, and was considering between 2 pieces of Camo 2014 models as detailed in my previous blog entry.

Well, I had a lunch function at a hotel in KL earlier this afternoon; and upon my return home, I saw a G-Shock box on the sofa. A note by the side said that it was a gift from my HM and chosen by my 5-year old son, less that I spend too much time considering which G-Shock to get. I must say that my son has good taste, either from HM or myself #chuckle.

A nice Sunday surprise then... Looks like I should write more on this blog #wink.
Anyway, let's get back to the watch in hand.

Turning the box around, you could see that the G-Shock was imported by Marco Corporation Malaysia. Point to note was that all Casio should come with a 1-year international warranty but as Marco was the authorised dealer for Casio in Malaysia, it would only recognise products brought in by its Company. Therefore, its product would have an additional Marco-issued Malaysian warranty card with a unique serial no. And you could register the serial no. online at Marco e-warranty site, to extend the warranty by another 6 months i.e. from 12 months to 18 months. I have done the e-warranty registration and this Camo's warranty would be from 7/12/2014 - 6/6/2016.

The cardboard box and the aluminium tin box were decorated with the standard military-issued camouflage pattern that adorns the actual watch in the box. The watch was nicely-wrapped and protected by soft sponge to avoid scratches from knocking against the box.

Taking out the G-Shock, I noticed that the Camo was very light indeed. Compared to the other G-Shock that I had, I supposed that the technological improvements had enabled them to use better and lighter resin and module, with better printing all over the watch. I like the fact that even the inner dial was printed with the camouflage design.

You would noticed that the Camo had negative display. You need to reflect the display against the light source in order to read the display properly. The negative display of today has marked improvements over the previous versions.

The buckle was matt silver, and the outer side had G-Shock stamped on it while the inner side showed that it was Casio Japan.

I liked the printing on the resin band. And the double buckle pins with squarish pin holes on the band added a modern touch to the classic G-Shock design.

I was wearing the Omega Planet Ocean XL (45.5mm without crown) when I received the gift, so I took it off for a side-by-side comparison against the 51.5mm Camo.

And here was the Camo with its Illuminator function. It was bright enough to read the display. You could choose whether to have it lit up for either 1-second or 3-seconds vide the Illuminator adjustments.

Other standard functions included world time 29 time zones including (48 of the coordinated universal time), auto calendar which has been formatted until the year 2099, 3 multi-function alarms, and a 24-hour stop-watch and timer countdown.

The Camo could be read at 12 or 24-hour format, and its digital format showed hours, minutes, seconds, month, date, and day. Further, the Camo had water resistance durability up to 200 meters, battery power for up to 7 years, as well as durability against impact.

And here were the obligatory wrist shots from various angles.

Overall, I have no complaints towards this Camo, and I am glad with the purchase towards this cheap knockabout G-Shock that looked really rugged and military.

And here was a picture of the Camo on Mr Fantastic's elongated hand. Well, actually it was my hand but I have no idea how the picture had my hand stretched like that. Ho hum...

Note that there were also replica G-Shock Camo sold on Mudah. Could you see if the below G-Shock Camo was original or otherwise?

It's a replica selling at between RM55 - RM70. Note that where mine said "Casio Illuminator" on the upper-top of the dial, this version said "1/1000 Shock Resist". Nowhere on the watch did it has the brand "Casio" imprinted anywhere. Looks almost like the real deal, right? I wonder how was the quality of the replica watch though.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 08:55:59 PM by andytagheuer »
Watch hobbyist @ andywristwatches.blogspot.com. Current faves in my collection :

Rolex | Omega | Bell & Ross | Panerai | Seiko | G-Shock |

Offline Enkidu

Re: First Impression of Casio G-Shock Camo (model no. GD-120CM-8)
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 04:50:41 PM »
Congrats Andy, its cousin says "Hi!!!".... :laugh: :laugh:

Wear yours in good health!! And I hope Casio will make more of these camo watches.

Offline D'Andy

• Success. It's a mind game.
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 07:30:48 AM »
Good morning, Enkidu; and that's a very handsome GA100 that you have there. I am debating between getting yours or the GA100-version with the military-inspired Nato strap, with your picture adding more poison no doubt  :thumbsup:

I hope that they have more Camo pieces too. And have I mentioned, very nice indeed, your piece there!  :Cheers:
Watch hobbyist @ andywristwatches.blogspot.com. Current faves in my collection :

Rolex | Omega | Bell & Ross | Panerai | Seiko | G-Shock |

Offline Serproka

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2015, 12:38:06 PM »
The next day I read this quote.