Author Topic: I’m not an engineer, but I collect this ingenieur because of a designer!  (Read 23233 times)

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
3 yrs ago, I read somewhere; some 1 said a watch collector must collect one of the Gerald Genta designed watches during his glory days!

Gerald Genta, a most famous watch designer. Yes, he is, and no doubt because he is the only watch designer been paid by so many important swiss watch brands for his designs until he set up his own brand!

Started from designing dial, case, indexes, bracelet for the factory… then solely for omega, a lot of omega watch during the time was his creation and most ppl think he is the designer of the famous original omega constellation despite no concrete evidence.

Later he designed a some watches for universal geneve, golden shadow and Polerouter was one of his famous creation at the age of 23

After that, he set up his own design firm; he actually designed for many many watch brands… Over the years, some of his designs are remain those brand best sellers like AP royal oak, bulgari bulgari… series. Even his own name brand Gerald genta also created a lot of famous design like mickey mouse, Donald duck retrograde hand, octo design…. etc
Out of all his famous designs, below is my likes follow sequence of my personal preference in terms of esthetic aspect
AP- Royal Oak 

IWC – Ingenieur

PP  - Nautilus

VC  - 222 (oversea)

If I’m rich enough, I’ll collect all the vintage pieces of above. How nice if I can afford to find and collect these big 4 genta designed watches

But sadly I’m not rich enough. So I decided to own one of these designs with modern tech… one day.

I almost buy the royal oak with Cal 3120 in few occasions because Royal Oak design is the best looking among the Gerald Genta designs. But I didn’t due to its size, just too small for my liking; I prefer to wear at least a 42mm watch.

PP Nautilus is not what like  and the price is far from my affordability,

VC oversea designs just do not appeal me after all,

so my only choice is IWC Ingenieur.
2005 when IWC launched it Ingenieur series again after yrs of ceasing the production of this line, I was excited, especially the full steel 3227-01 look very close to its original design even not as close like royal oak and nautilus. But overall appearing is good and look better than the vintage one. Beating with IWC new in house movement; the retail price is very close to AP royal oak. I never give up for the idea of owning GG designed watch at that moment, even though I do think IWC price it too high.

I turn my attention to a pre owned 3227-01 instead. But it’s hard to come by, I was once saw it appear in one of the local pre owned watch shop website, but it’s gone in a flash.

Time flies, I on and off seen ppl offloading the iwc ingenieur titanium amg version, it goes as low as usd 2.Xk once. Grey market also selling it around 40+ discount. i almost pull the trigger few times on this as well, I didn’t, because I still love the steel version which to me closer to its original design and nothing fancy. I knew some mwf sifu here said the steel version is too heavy that’s why they like the titanium version. I love the AMG design as well actually, the black and light touch of red design is one of my favorite color combination. But I just prefer the more classic less sporty steel version and I do not mind heavy watch on my wrist after years of wearing big heavy watches!

The grey market price probably reflecting the poor sales of ingenieur actually, then IWC launched some LE ingenieur with ceramic bezel, see through case back and slightly bigger case. Ingenieur series is famous with its antimagnetic soft iron inner case, so I do not like the idea of see through caseback. i also do not like the ceramic bezel, otherwise the 44mm LE climate action ingeniuer is quite good looking.

2008, I wasn’t really shock to see IWC launch the bigger ingenieur and cease the production of  3227 both steel and titanium ingenieur. New ingenieur is up size to 46mm with crown guard, more colorful and no more sharp edges……. Just not my cup of tea and its gone too far from original design.

so, Out of sudden, the steel 3227-01 raises some attention among collectors, some 1 posted in forum saying he went all round EUROPE watch shop, but he can no longer find the steel ingenieur 3227-01. So when I thought i not going to own it again, i saw some 1 putting up for sales again on line…. Asking about 50% of its retail… while considering contacting the seller, suddenly I found our Malaysia famous online watch seller also posted a brand new in box for sale, so I immediately message them for price in RM. About rm2k more than the pre owned 1, I decided to buy this without risk of the internet purchase and buying pre owned.

Last week, during 1st round meeting, the bracelet adjustment tool missing, 2nd round, everything complete so I grabbed it.
Here you go, my iwc ingenieur 3227-01 photos and my 1st hand experience with it
Some photos (shoot in hurry…. No setting so pls forgive)

Packaging - Full set
The outer soft paper brown box

The hard paper white box

The watch box – black, probably laminated

IWC is always good with their packaging. It’s not as big and as good as the wood (produced in the city of IWC, Schaffhausen) made box in the 1st generation of IWC Portuguese I owned before, but its good.
Fullset - triple box(outer brown recycle paper box + white gross hard paper box + black color laminated watch box), multi language manual, packed polished cloth, bracelet resizing tool, warranty card and booklet.

Watch is well wrapped with plastic all round when I received it. Even the plastic is named.

The front

The overall appearance is good, it feel solid and good looking. It look big and like a big chunk of steel when you wear it due to it bracelet width near watch case, it is around 26mm. the dial is not as big. I doubt with this case and bracelet design, you can up size the case. New Ingenieur all come with strap right?
I’ll say This is a design you will like it when you look at it more often!

The dial finish with the indexes is top class. May not hv the solid polished steel like GS, but you know it is top top quality stuff when u sees it…. It’s an eye catcher, it just better looking than the amg version to me!
The AR coating is good especially under low light and indoor, you wont notice the crystal at all. But under the bright light, the blue coating is obvious at one angle, just like the my sinn u1, which I think my damasko is superior in this because of the angle of u can see the blue coating is very very small, but I wasn’t sure it is because of my damask dc67 dial is white!
The lume is very little filled on the hour index, hour & min hands and 15, 30, 45 and 60 minute marker. No complaint though because easy to reflect indexes help in low night. We just cant compare this with ball tritium in complete darkness!
The back

Solid case back, nothing fancy….  Just engraved with brand and series name and laser engraved with series number.
Side

The watch is quite tall, probably because of the inner soft iron case. The combination of polish and brush finish good. A lot of sharp edges compare with the new Ingenieur…. I prefer this!
Bracelet & Clasp
Not as solid and as heavy as omega and ball watch, but the design is comfort and it is matching the case well.  But the user friendly bracelet adjusting design and the tool supplied is beyond expectation.

I adjusted it after flipping 15 second on the manual. Cool! Easy! 5 mins on my wrist

Crown
Screw in type. Finishing is top, easy to grip, no sharp edge. Screw in screw out is fine. I do wish it can be made bigger.

here are the specifications you can find online easily
Case – 42.5mm diameter 14.5 height st steel
Movement- cal 80110 iwc in house automatic movement with pellaton winding system, 44 hours power reserve
Antimagnetic  -soft iron inner case
Dial – black textured guilloche
Date at 3
Crystal – AR coated sapphire
Water resistant to 120m
Bracelet – st steel with push button foldover clasp

Summary
This is not a watch for every1 taste. It’s a good watch that reflecting IWC philosophy, it engineered for men. It can follow me to office, meeting ppl, expose to sun and rain! I’m fully satisfied with the $ I spent for it, I’m also a proud owner of one of the Gerald Genta design.
Most photo linked from different website except those in my review part is my own.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 07:24:46 PM by chrisyen »

Offline takashi78

So you recover enough to wear it on your wrist eh haha.
Glad you finally got your Genta piece.
As for me i also dream one day i can own a Genta designed piece.
But lucky for me i dont find the Royal Oak too small haha.

Offline ckcspice

hey mate...congrats on ur IWC purchase...can PM me how much u got it for??...cheers

Offline G.MAC

Nice acquisition :thumbsup:. Mind to pm me the site of the online watch seller you mentioned? thanks
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
Learn something new about GG  :thumbsup:
A real solid piece of watch  :Cheers:

Offline YSS

Hey mate, congrats on a superb watch. Can you pls pm me the seller info?

Thanks

Offline HusH

Congrats on your new piece. This is a solid watch  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 11:28:36 PM by HusH »

Offline Broleo

Nice one there. If I may ask, can you pm me the MY online watch seller please

Cheers

Offline jacky8888

• Global Moderator
  • More than meets the eye
congratz... a happy IWC owner...... :Cheers:
Jacky Wong

Offline steveting

nice watch bro! ;D

Offline David_cheong

Chris - A beautiful pc. Just like the one I once had but on a 36mm.

I believe its a keeper for such a beauty and complete set. A rare find esp. with a solid back with a very strong build appearance.

Wear it in good  health.

dc
I am almost a recovered watchaholic, but last checked shows only 70% recovered. How?

Offline Scott C.

Congrats  :Cheers:

Offline danny

• Administrator
Hi Chris,
Great catch. Congratulations.
Gerald Genta must be very happy to have a fan like you for producing a glowing writeup of his work.

:Cheers:

Offline ttfjon

A solid looking and beautiful watch.  Congrats.

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
Hi Chris,
Great catch. Congratulations.
Gerald Genta must be very happy to have a fan like you for producing a glowing writeup of his work.

:Cheers:

I'll be happier if he read this n give me another of his new designed watch!

Guys- too many of u all asking me to pm seller n price, I'm still busy in office so  can only do quick reply via my iPhone
seller is collxxxxrstixx, pls mail him directly for price!
the Internet seller is

Offline takashi78

I think Genta's current designs have gone down hill.
VERY niche in terms of looks.
His current self brand is Gerald Charles and a used shop in Bangsar has one.
Upon inspection...very disappointed, quality and build is normal nothing to shout about.
Movt is tried and true 7750 mod. And styling...well....acquired taste i would say. 

Offline Gigi

• Global Moderator
chris,

Nice watch man  :thumbsup:

Offline swleong

when I got Ir. infront of my surname, I'll get this on my wrist, hopefully soon enough  :Praying:

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
I think Genta's current designs have gone down hill.
VERY niche in terms of looks.
His current self brand is Gerald Charles and a used shop in Bangsar has one.
Upon inspection...very disappointed, quality and build is normal nothing to shout about.
Movt is tried and true 7750 mod. And styling...well....acquired taste i would say. 

maybe another 20yrs later got ppl appreciate this Gerald Charles Turbo design leh!

When he designed the royal oak also not accepted by many in that time!

Offline ckng515

• Merchants
    • WISparadise
Congrats!! Very detail review on the historical background;)

Cheers, ck
For More Updates please visit my online store at:
https://www.facebook.com/wisparadise

Offline duniajam

• Dunia Jam
Nice review man  :thumbsup: Really nice watch too man  :Cheers:

Just met my friend yesterday & saw his Universal Polerouter Date.... sorry not a good pic... I like the design & but I like the movement most...  :thumbsup:

Beautiful watch with a very beautiful movement. My friend changed the caseback with the acrylic crystal just to appreciate the movement.  Nice!  :thumbsup:

Offline David_cheong

I had an opportunity to chance upon this make the other day at the Bkt Bintang. The movement is awesome and cost a bomb. The mini rotor is made of 22k gold and is really me rising and takes your breath away.

dc
I am almost a recovered watchaholic, but last checked shows only 70% recovered. How?

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
I had an opportunity to chance upon this make the other day at the Bkt Bintang. The movement is awesome and cost a bomb. The mini rotor is made of 22k gold and is really me rising and takes your breath away.
dc

what u mean? U saw new UG with new micro rotor movement?

Offline gapper

• allen's posterous
chris,

congra. this is really smart handsome watch. can be wore in classy or sporty.
clean, simple but unique design... something that will never look outdated.

great catch!

Offline Gigi

• Global Moderator
Chris,

I want to know your opinion if your engi compared to Millgauss (dont bother abt the pricing, assume you able to own both of it)  ???