Author Topic: ios 8 the biggest ios release ever  (Read 5908 times)

Offline spacewalker

ios 8 the biggest ios release ever
« on: September 23, 2014, 09:28:52 AM »
Hi. Had anyone update to ios 8? No matter you are the iPhone/iPad user, maybe we can share about this latest Apple ios. The ios 8.

Lately Apple had launch their ios 8. It stated " the biggest ios release ever". I had browse their website ,the ios 8 pack with all the new feature. It change how we manage the photo, smart keyboard and the way iPad connected to the iPhone and Mac like never before, like you can continue you task on the mac to your iPad or answering the phone call from Mac if your iPhone away from you.

However, last night I had try to download the ios 8 for my iPad air 16 GB. Before download, I had read on the software update : Require 7.8 GB space and you need to manage your storage.It require a lot of space. Since my iPad only has 16 GB, I need to delete some game, applications and photo if want to upgrade to ios 8. This never happen when I'm upgrading my old iPad 3 from ios 6 to ios 7, the upgrade to ios 7 only require around 1 GB. I had cancel the update and try to find more about update to ios 8. Some website says, the large space is temporarily need only during updating  and after the update the ios 8 only need around 1 GB. My obsolete iPhone 4  ;D cannot support ios 8 and need to settle down with only ios 7 . I think no wonder apple called it the "biggest" ios release ever  :D

Offline CKL1213

Re: ios 8 the biggest ios release ever
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 11:15:54 AM »
so anyone can confirm whether it takes up to 5 to 7GB or the 1GB after installation as per the OP statement?

Offline dennis.T

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 12:40:40 PM »
i thk it really take up a big storage...my iphone 5 capcity now is only 27gb only after upgrade to iOS8

Offline CKL1213

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 02:00:09 PM »
another smart move from Apple, forcing those 16gb owner to upgrade to bigger storage

Offline spacewalker

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 02:20:21 PM »
another smart move from Apple, forcing those 16gb owner to upgrade to bigger storage

yes. I think that is one of their move. upgrading the ios also put a more load to the existing hardware especially for iPhone 4s or iPad 3 user. when you device start to lag. You will visit nearest apple store.  :thumbsup:

Offline dennis.T

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2014, 10:12:23 AM »
my FB apps crash oftenly now after upgrade to iOS8... :Mad:

Offline sinbad2k

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 03:24:35 PM »
you can always upgrade using iTunes. Don't have to worry with the 5.7GB space.

Offline CKL1213

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2014, 03:33:36 PM »

can you elaborate more?

Offline gnoy26

• Freshie
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2014, 07:56:01 PM »
find it very good so far....

Offline sinbad2k

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2014, 01:03:32 PM »

can you elaborate more?

You should first update your iTunes to the latest version. Then when you sync your phone with iTunes, there'll be an option for you to download iOS8. You may want to do a backup of your phone first before upgrading. Copy out the .ipsw file if you want to revert back to iOS7 http://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/iosapps/how-downgrade-from-ios-8-ios-7-reinstall-ios-8-3522302/

Offline CKL1213

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2014, 01:24:41 PM »

can you elaborate more?

You should first update your iTunes to the latest version. Then when you sync your phone with iTunes, there'll be an option for you to download iOS8. You may want to do a backup of your phone first before upgrading. Copy out the .ipsw file if you want to revert back to iOS7 http://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/iosapps/how-downgrade-from-ios-8-ios-7-reinstall-ios-8-3522302/

does it make a different updating using iTunes or OTA, it still take up 5gb space.

Offline sinbad2k

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2014, 02:29:33 PM »

can you elaborate more?

does it make a different updating using iTunes or OTA, it still take up 5gb space.

Upgrading through OTA requires the phone to have enough free space to do the installation. Upgrading through iTunes uses your PCs' hard disk space so it shouldn't be a big problem(unless you don't have a lot of free HD space).

Offline CKL1213

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2014, 02:43:21 PM »

can you elaborate more?

Upgrading through OTA requires the phone to have enough free space to do the installation. Upgrading through iTunes uses your PCs' hard disk space so it shouldn't be a big problem(unless you don't have a lot of free HD space).

end of the day, you still need to install INTO your iPhone or iPad or iPod right?

you still need to free up your iPhone or iPad or iPod space for iOS 8 right?

Offline khairain

• Freshie
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2014, 04:22:19 PM »
yup.. but if u download thru your hp then u need the extra space since the existing iOS is still running but thru iTunes when u finish download it will replace automatically without compromising the extra space since it is stored in your pc.

Offline sinbad2k

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2014, 10:21:24 PM »

can you elaborate more?

end of the day, you still need to install INTO your iPhone or iPad or iPod right?

you still need to free up your iPhone or iPad or iPod space for iOS 8 right?

Yes, we still need some free space but not as much as upgrading OTA. The difference compared to upgrading through iTunes is significant.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 10:24:04 PM by sinbad2k »