Author Topic: Finding any vintage automatic watches in Malaysia.  (Read 4337 times)

Offline alwaysvisible

Finding any vintage automatic watches in Malaysia.
« on: August 04, 2014, 02:31:14 AM »
Hi, guys! This is my first post on MWF! I've been reading this forum for quite some time and finally made up my mind to join this big family! So well, I am a 19 boy and have been a horological aficionado for the past few years. Currently wearing a Seiko Solar. I always wanted to buy myself a good watch, like, well, since a watch represents a man, no?  :) So, I wanted to find something which is vintage (so that I can afford a better one), automatic (I am mesmerized by that kind of movement  :Praying: ), and I hope that you can tell me where can I get them in Malaysia. My budget will be at 500-1500 MYR. Thanks in advance!

Offline dankhar

Re: Finding any vintage automatic watches in Malaysia.
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 01:56:46 PM »
Welcome to MWF  :thumbsup:
Do join in the discussion which interest you.

How about getting an automatic diver watch that was produced in the year you were born?
A 1995 Seiko 7002-7000 Diver comes to my mind.

Note: Image borrowed from the internet

You can even find one selling in EBay with serial number corresponding to the month you were born!
Do PM me if you need more details.
Sometimes the best thing to do is ... absolutely nothing!

Offline alwaysvisible

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 02:58:42 PM »
Hi dankhar! I am sorry this is the first forum I joined so I don't really know how to reply threads and stuffs. Thanks! This watch that you suggested look a bit like so called Seiko Pepsi right  ;D ;D I am looking into Seiko Orange Monster.. Do you have any suggestions?

Offline dankhar

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 03:42:21 PM »
^
Yes the bezel is Pepsi type and it's a 150m diver watch cal 7002 which was produced between 1988 - 1997 (correct me if I'm wrong sifus).
If you're looking for Seiko Orange Monster i'd say it's a good choice as well  :thumbsup:

Image borrowed from internet

Diver watches are very at home on metal bracelets or rubber straps or even on natos. Pick your fancy.  ;D
If you intend to look for a birth-year watch, then look for serial number that starts with 5XXXXX (5 being the year, X is the month it was produced, the following XXXXs are the batch number of the month)

Offline alwaysvisible

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 07:15:21 PM »
These watches are so beautiful and I really like the idea of the vintage watch same age as me but.. It seems like we couldn't find no these nor the Orange Monster. I have tried to search around Penang and found nothing for the first and second generation's OM.

Offline dankhar

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2014, 07:15:33 AM »
The best option to find the model you're looking for is through EBay.
Patience is the key.
I managed to find a birth-year diver watch for my second son but still on the hunt for my eldest son.
The hunt is part of the thrill in watch collecting and in story behind the certain piece you managed to purchase.

Offline alwaysvisible

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2014, 10:56:22 AM »
Couldn't agree more. Thanks bro! Btw.. My birthday is at 20/9/1995. Can you figure me out the code thingy?

Offline dankhar

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2014, 12:22:56 PM »
the serial number in that case should read 59XXXX
I'm not sure if you can get Seiko Orange Monsters produced in that year but a modified dial Seiko 7002-7001 is relatively easy

Example of a modified 150m diver with orange dial:

Offline alwaysvisible

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2014, 07:50:16 AM »
What do you think of this PRS516 Automatic?

Offline dankhar

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2014, 08:15:12 AM »
This?