Author Topic: Young watch collectors  (Read 19458 times)

Offline mike

Young watch collectors
« on: April 27, 2014, 05:14:03 PM »
Recently came across an Instagram account of a 17 year old boy in Malaysia that has a very pricey collection of watches.
http://www.instagram.com/abewd
I myself as a 18 year old college student, started having attention into watches when I was 15, working my ass off for my passion on watches. In a period of 3 years, I have collected only a few watches like Seiko's, G-Shocks, Orients and all my pride is on the first swiss watch in my collection, the Longines Legend Diver that I had recently acquired.
Total money spent on watches : less than RM10,000, and all are moneys that I have earnt myself.
When I saw this Instagram account, I was so shocked that a 17 year old, could afford IWC, Tudor, JLC, Hublot and much much more. What do you guys think? Very jealous lah :Blue:
Anyway, just wondering are there any other young watch lovers in the forum? ;D
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 05:15:34 PM by mikster »

Offline JeepWH

• Tick...tick...tick....
Re: Young watch collectors
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 05:50:26 PM »
I'm a young watch collector too, started when I was 17, but all i own till today are only Seikos and Orients.
Seiko fan.....

Offline sidestreaker

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 06:34:00 PM »
..... What do you guys think? Very jealous lah :Blue:....

I never had the option of collecting watches during my early career days. A huge portion of my salary had to go to my parents as they were retiring and pay off my student loan (PTPTN). It was much later that I can even consider buying myself a luxury watch.

There's nothing for you to be jealous of. Keep working hard and train on. Buying your next dream watch with your own hard-earn money is so much more gratifying.

If anything, it is others that should be envious of your determination in achieving your dreams.

Offline el118

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 06:42:35 PM »
For a long time until i turned 25, i had been wearing an "adidas" watch my mum bought for me when i was 15. I bought myself a Tissot after that which cost RM690 with my own money, that meant a lot of money for me to spend on watch during that time. i got a Rolex from my Dad as wedding gift when i was 30 and i thought then it was exurberent to spend so much on a watch.

I bought myself a 6 figure watch last year but i think the joy isn't much stronger than when i got myself that Tissot when i was 25.

For me i saved reverently when i was young and invested heavily to build my net worth. i am reaping my investment gains now.

It is not how much you spent on watch, it is more about your Psychology i supposed. no need to be envious and be happy with what you have achieved. :Cheers:

Offline mike

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014, 06:55:26 PM »
..... What do you guys think? Very jealous lah :Blue:....

I never had the option of collecting watches during my early career days. A huge portion of my salary had to go to my parents as they were retiring and pay off my student loan (PTPTN). It was much later that I can even consider buying myself a luxury watch.

There's nothing for you to be jealous of. Keep working hard and train on. Buying your next dream watch with your own hard-earn money is so much more gratifying.

If anything, it is others that should be envious of your determination in achieving your dreams.
I am truly blessed for what I have, I totally agree with you, but you can be the moon and still be jealous of the stars.. Haha

For a long time until i turned 25, i had been wearing an "adidas" watch my mum bought for me when i was 15. I bought myself a Tissot after that which cost RM690 with my own money, that meant a lot of money for me to spend on watch during that time. i got a Rolex from my Dad as wedding gift when i was 30 and i thought then it was exurberent to spend so much on a watch.

I bought myself a 6 figure watch last year but i think the joy isn't much stronger than when i got myself that Tissot when i was 25.

For me i saved reverently when i was young and invested heavily to build my net worth. i am reaping my investment gains now.

It is not how much you spent on watch, it is more about your Psychology i supposed. no need to be envious and be happy with what you have achieved. :Cheers:

I agree ;D :Cheers:

Offline Sacrifies

• Freshie
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2014, 11:09:08 PM »
His tone and writing doesnt sound like local malaysian
[WRISTGAME COLLECTION]
Rolex Oyster Perpetual Datejust       
TAG Heuer Aquaracer 500M Calibre 5 | Tag Heuer Formula 1 Grande Date
Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch

Offline @tsw@

• My precious
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 01:25:34 AM »
I guess it's normal to be jealous, however try to use it as a motivation to work hard on studies and with a little luck, you should be able to indulge in this hobby after 30.

Offline kenji1903

• My travel blog :P
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2014, 05:47:21 AM »
wow... young chaps nowadays are very capable :o

i bought my first entry level luxury watch (Tag) when i was 31 :Blue:

and before that i had a Casio from my gf (now wife) and wore it for 6-7 years :D

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2014, 06:34:53 AM »
Dont worry bro. There is nothing to envy in regards to that young chap. In fact at 17, I was still wearing a Tissot V8 and was wearing it throughout university. I only bought a nice piece upon my graduation and subsequently more pieces once i started working. The fact you have a Longines Legend Diver at 18 is an achievement in its own right since you slogged hard for it. Give yourself a pat on the shoulder and look ahead.
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline JPSP

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2014, 07:12:44 AM »
I started when I was 29.

At 17, I was wearing a Charles Jordan that my parents bought for me.

Don't worry, your collection will grow eventually.

Offline meoramri

• Global Moderator
    • My Eastern Watch Collection
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2014, 10:57:08 AM »
Guys, a hobby is not about competition.

You can start at 17 or even 71. What is important is the passion, even if it just Seiko 5s.

Main watch blog visit: http://easternwatch.blogspot.com

Offline infinityws

• Freshie
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2014, 01:11:35 PM »
i see he got a IWC, Tudor, Omega seamaster, Emporio Armani, Hublot (sold). Others that he posted are friends' e.g. Pam, SevenFriday, RM prototype

Offline jamieyee1007

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2014, 01:32:46 PM »
It's never too late to pursue your passion. I got my first Rolex when I turned 20. A gift from my parents.

Offline ivanpei

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2014, 01:59:03 PM »
At 17, most likely it's money from parents lar. But that's how life is, if you are born without money what to do lor. Feeling jealous is natural. Just take that as motivation to work harder and try to make it big one day.

I'm a Scholar and studied overseas. Throughout my University years, I also watched all these spoiled kids driving BMWs, Subarus etc with pretty girlfriends and partied every night while I studied and worked part time at a restaurant. It's like this lar, I didn't even think about luxury watches back then, I wore a quartz Tissot which my father bought for me as a good luck charm when I attended my scholarship interviews while I was still in high school. Luckily I bagged a scholarship haha. That was my first taste of watches.

I work in the Oil and Gas industry, including working overseas and all. I started work @ 20 years old. I had my first condo @ 23 years old, got married @ 24 years old & celebrated with a Omega Seamaster Chronodiver as a gift from my parents, 2nd condo @ 25 years old and a brand new Mitsubishi ASX that I bought myself @ 26 years old. To celebrate, I was given a Rolex Deepsea by my parents. All my watches to date are gifts from my parents to celebrate milestones and I really appreciate them because they mark significant events in my life.

Life is relative lar bro, these rich kids won't appreciate what they have because it comes too easily to them. No need to be jealous, your time will come. Don't get in to debt due to your obsession with watches. I have seen too many people who love to travel, buy branded goods etc all on money they don't have. Settle the important things first like properties and investments. When you are older, you will have the money to play around with watches!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 02:00:44 PM by ivanpei »

Offline mike

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2014, 02:06:54 PM »
Got it guys, I am happy for what I have today ;D

Offline Laktos Kid

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2014, 02:52:10 PM »
All i have are japanese watches  ;D
only bought my first mechanical watch from seiko this year and already jumping like a 3 year old  :Dancing_banana:
wearing tissot V8 and longines divers before 20 is really something and I doubt i can afford those watches unless i play stock and currency during my free time, and earn lots and lots of cash

Offline kenji1903

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2014, 02:56:43 PM »
At 17, most likely it's money from parents lar. But that's how life is, if you are born without money what to do lor. Feeling jealous is natural. Just take that as motivation to work harder and try to make it big one day.

I'm a Scholar and studied overseas. Throughout my University years, I also watched all these spoiled kids driving BMWs, Subarus etc with pretty girlfriends and partied every night while I studied and worked part time at a restaurant. It's like this lar, I didn't even think about luxury watches back then, I wore a quartz Tissot which my father bought for me as a good luck charm when I attended my scholarship interviews while I was still in high school. Luckily I bagged a scholarship haha. That was my first taste of watches.

I work in the Oil and Gas industry, including working overseas and all. I started work @ 20 years old. I had my first condo @ 23 years old, got married @ 24 years old & celebrated with a Omega Seamaster Chronodiver as a gift from my parents, 2nd condo @ 25 years old and a brand new Mitsubishi ASX that I bought myself @ 26 years old. To celebrate, I was given a Rolex Deepsea by my parents. All my watches to date are gifts from my parents to celebrate milestones and I really appreciate them because they mark significant events in my life.

Life is relative lar bro, these rich kids won't appreciate what they have because it comes too easily to them. No need to be jealous, your time will come. Don't get in to debt due to your obsession with watches. I have seen too many people who love to travel, buy branded goods etc all on money they don't have. Settle the important things first like properties and investments. When you are older, you will have the money to play around with watches!
Parents who knows when to buy watches and what ti buy, good for you bro :thumbsup:

Offline ztomn

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2014, 06:12:54 PM »
No big deal mate!
At 17, only Casio digital watch (can't remember the model)
At 28, I was wearing Seiko Kinetic on my wedding day!
Got my first Rolex (Explorer 2) at the age of 33
First AP on last Friday.  A painful process of upgrading/trade in/top up......

Offline Danheng1

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2014, 06:49:32 PM »
A watch collection is very personal. It's never about other peoples collection. Your collection is your own journey through life and each acquisition has it's own story. Be proud of what you have (be it seiko or AP).

Offline watzisname

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2014, 02:24:44 PM »
No big deal mate!

How old are you now, may I ask?

Offline Everdying

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2014, 02:33:13 PM »
why u believe everything on the internet?
i also can create an instagram account and take pics from here and say they are all my watches :P

Offline Ian Fleming

• Freshie
  • "Don't Play The Fool" - The Late Sir Karpal Singh
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2014, 03:19:05 PM »
For me, jealousy, if handled in a positive and sporting manner, will bring great and dynamic results. For if handled via the said manner, it shall work as a motivation for us to work smarter and harder to drive us to that ultimate goal.

But if jealousy is handled via the "sour grape" manner, the results are going to be disastrous. Based on my real life experience, a lot of times, the sour grape community, when they see people getting better or at times even better than them themselves, they start to pick reasons to condemn those better than them. Resulting, they die as a very lonely, empty and saddening person. Because all their lives, all they do is busy getting jealous at others while others are busy chasing their dreams and putting their dreams into reality.

To be honest, I wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth. My academic status maxed out at college diploma. I started everything from scratch. But I didn't give up and continued striving to the life I enjoy today. But nothing to shout about though. Because I'm always readily motivated by those better than me.

There's a saying from the late First lady of United States, Eleanor Roosevelt -

Great minds discuss ideas.
Average minds discuss events.
Small minds discuss people.

***this message is strictly from my POV and my own personal experience and not intended to direct to anyone in this forum or cause any conflicts. No pun intended.

cheerio peeps  :thumbsup:

Offline kenji1903

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2014, 04:11:03 PM »
For me, jealousy, if handled in a positive and sporting manner, will bring great and dynamic results. For if handled via the said manner, it shall work as a motivation for us to work smarter and harder to drive us to that ultimate goal.

But if jealousy is handled via the "sour grape" manner, the results are going to be disastrous. Based on my real life experience, a lot of times, the sour grape community, when they see people getting better or at times even better than them themselves, they start to pick reasons to condemn those better than them. Resulting, they die as a very lonely, empty and saddening person. Because all their lives, all they do is busy getting jealous at others while others are busy chasing their dreams and putting their dreams into reality.

To be honest, I wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth. My academic status maxed out at college diploma. I started everything from scratch. But I didn't give up and continued striving to the life I enjoy today. But nothing to shout about though. Because I'm always readily motivated by those better than me.

There's a saying from the late First lady of United States, Eleanor Roosevelt -

Great minds discuss ideas.
Average minds discuss events.
Small minds discuss people.

***this message is strictly from my POV and my own personal experience and not intended to direct to anyone in this forum or cause any conflicts. No pun intended.

cheerio peeps  :thumbsup:
well said :thumbsup: :Cheers:

Offline toypoodle

• In God We Trust
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2014, 07:22:44 PM »

Very inspirational, I love this :thumbsup:
Got to show this to my children.

Offline ztomn

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2014, 04:24:28 AM »
No big deal mate!

How old are you now, may I ask?

« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 04:29:14 AM by ztomn »