Author Topic: A tale of two classics, bringing night and day...  (Read 2688 times)

Offline notmanic

A tale of two classics, bringing night and day...
« on: April 16, 2014, 11:42:37 PM »
Have been busy lately with an impending career switch heading back into the corporate world, leaving behind my casual lifestyle for the past 3 years... The change had me revisit my wishlist and started me on a hunt for watches that will fit in the boardrooms as well as under my shirt's sleeve... Didn't want anything too fancy, something simple and substance, and this thought had led me back to basics, or in my case the lookout for a classic watch that is going to be value for money...

I did not have to look far as some of our MWF brothers here have a few great recommendations and the Orient Bambino came to mind... It did take me some time to locate an AD which carried Orients though and they only had the black dial rose gold-plated version for me to try on... it is amazing that it costs what it does and didn't have to think twice about placing an order for one of the stainless steel version, although the choice was a tough for either a white dial or a black one... but the happy outcome as below:

Love it to bits and by now, I have grown fond of the classic design's appeal especially the dauphine hour/minute hands... was contemplating to get the white dial version but didn't get a chance to... as fate had it, came across another simple yet striking piece at an AD's sale... it was a Frederique Constant Classics Index pictured below:

Now I feel complete... These 2 pieces will be rotated for work... And below are some shots for your viewing pleasure...

And finally, a family shot of the old and the new... the joy that is night and day!

Offline dualcarb

Re: A tale of two classics, bringing night and day...
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 12:01:34 AM »
Very nice...however...I see room for three more in that box of your... :Cheers:

DC

Offline @tsw@

• My precious
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 08:30:42 AM »
Thank you for sharing, IMHO the orient has a much nicer styling compared to the FC.

Would like to take this opportunity to wish you all the best in your forthcoming job.

Offline notmanic

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 10:38:02 AM »
@DC: hahahahahaa... I agree that the emptiness is jarring but it will be reserved for the right pieces at the right time... believe I've reached my quota for the year... will have to hold out till year-end if any...

@tsw: my wife commented that they looked the same but my reply to her was 'same same, but not the same' and both have their own highlights and appeal, especially in the following areas:

1. Dial & hands
- Legibility is better with the FC's white dial for me but do tend to agree that the Orient has a bit more flair in the details of their markers
- No difference in the date windows
- Orient lacks lume on the hands and markers it but will not bother me much. Don't believe the FC's lume will be anything to shout about either

2. Glass
- FC has a very slight domed sapphire glass. The Orient on the other hand has the old-school domed crystal glass which reflects glare at times and may obstruct legibility at times. But it is the dome that gives it that character

3. Case, crown and lug
- Both cases are similar in size at 40mm in diameter but the FC tends to wear bigger on the wrist because Orient has slightly a smaller diameter for its dial and is encased in the domed crystal, or gives me the visual impression that it is smaller
- Both have signed crowns with the FC's one appearing more sturdy
- Lug widths are 20mm for FC and 22mm for Orient

4. Strap and buckle
- Both came with leather straps and pin buckles. And believe the straps would require a change if you're a heavy user, as both seem fragile but this can be solved easily

5. Warranty
- Orient's 1-year vs. FC's 2-year

But overall, satisfied with both as I didn't have to sell my kidney... And thanks for the wishes, I hope that this year will be a good one for all!