Author Topic: Sinn 856 UTC  (Read 6117 times)

Offline toolkit21

Sinn 856 UTC
« on: April 04, 2014, 08:14:03 PM »
In the search for a nice German pilot watch, the few pieces that came to mind were Stowa, Archimede, Damasko, Laco and Sinn. Out of all, I've heard of Sinn brand since the beginning of my small watch collection. For a while I had my mind on a Stowa, but the lure of a Sinn is somehow greater. And mind boggling because there are just too many choices to pick from.

Thus I've settled on a 856 UTC piece and would like to put in my little review of this 40mm beauty.

The few watches I have are normally around 42-45mm, wrapping my 6.75" wrist on a 6' frame. They all look a little oversized for me, but I like it that way. That's why I was a little concerned when this piece is sized at 40mm. But the many comments say its dial looks larger because it is without a bezel (as with most dive watch).

In came the packaging box of an outer and inner shell piece holding the watch piece, cards and others.

The strap is a 20mm wide tapered to 18mm where the Sinn buckle meets. Would've loved the buckle to be 20mm so as to look larger because I find 18mm a little 'skinny' for a strap.

Its tegiment finished case is quite smooth and grey coloured, like a sand blasted/titanium material. Tegiment is a hardening process (similar to Damasko ice hardening) that brings its scratch-resistant profile up to 1200 Vickers. Honestly I don't know how great this value means, but it sure is 3 times stronger than a naked stainless steel case. Won't plan to test it out though.

On one side, the lower left lug, sits a small white glass view of a white colour substance called a copper sulphate. Its a small piece of technology and serves a big purpose, and that is to absorb moisture from getting into the movement and aging the lubrication oil. This prolongs the movement's lifespan, and increases service interval of the mechanical pieces. The white colour turns blue as the saturation level increases. So you'll know when to send it in for service.

On the other side sits the case guard with a Sinn logo 'S' crown. I think this is also tegimented. When turning the crown, it is an exceptionally smooth feel for the ETA2893-2 automatic movement.
First pull, lets you wind it up.
Second pull, adjusts the UTC needle (that's the inner yellow needle which runs a 24-hour circular dial), and date counter (at 4 o'clock position)
Third pull, adjusts the minute hand and automatically the UTC hand as well.

The sapphire crystal glass has AR (anti-reflective) coating on both sides. Now I understand why many negative comments are about the outer coating. It gets smudged easily and need constant wiping to make it look clean and shiny. Will see how this can be removed, either DIY or watch repair shop.

As you can see the dial is reminiscent of a Bell & Ross dial. Well that is becuase before B&R became popular, their watches were made by Sinn. So there is some history between them. And Damasko to some extent, which will be for another day. I for one love the font style and choice. Makes the numbers look more edgy, but highly readable.

The case is made by SUG (Germany) and is one of the few renowned makers supplying to many of the biggest brands. Nice to know they've allowed SUG to stamp its branding to reinforce the capability of this unique case.

Generally lume is very visible, however am not sure how it lasts through the night yet. Will make some test and find out.

What my initial impression is the watch is very wearable, non obtrusive and low key. But you know it'll take a banger much better than many others out there. Besides the major technology above, the 856 also has magnetic field protection, nickel free case back (can scratch because its not Tegimented, but suitable for sensitive skin wearing) and 200M pressure resistant.

Will work on updating the wearing feel and some custom leather strap choices in the near future.

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
Re: Sinn 856 UTC
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 07:59:06 AM »
Very well written review, I enjoy reading it  :thumbsup:
And interesting copper sulphate as well, first time seeing it.

Offline watzisname

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 08:22:14 AM »
Great review! :thumbsup: Looks great on your wrist

Mine says hi:

Mind sharing where you bought the 856 and for how much? And why does it say X-ray alert on the box?  :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline meoramri

• Global Moderator
    • My Eastern Watch Collection
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 08:30:32 AM »
Good review. Do you mind PM me the internet shop that you sourced the watch from?

Thanks in advance! Meor
Main watch blog visit: http://easternwatch.blogspot.com

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 09:57:42 AM »
Cool :thumbsup:

Mine says hi too... My go to watch for travel and a robust beater.

Better outrun my gun....faster than my bullet

Offline toolkit21

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 08:56:44 PM »
Thank you guys for the compliment. Appreciate it very much.

Glad to also know that Sinn is a popular make in Malaysia. I was in fact looking at the 857 UTC range like you guys have, but felt I have a few diver watches with bezel. So the 856 looks right without the bezel, although at 40mm it is a tad too small and does need some getting used to.

Am looking at getting custom leather straps from Clover Strap at watchuseek forum. This guy's got some really good styles made.

As for the internet shop, you will need to order from Hour Glass for Sinn in Malaysia. Unless you know how to order from a dealer and have it sent into Malaysia. But as far as Sinn knows there's a dealer here, they won't let you buy from elsewhere.

I got mine used from watchuseek forum. Although I had to scour daily and wait patiently until someone has the right piece, condition and price that I need. Singapore has a good used market and Sinns are quite popular there.

Good luck in your search.