Author Topic: Zenith Montre D'Aeronef Type 20 "Extra Special"  (Read 15955 times)

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
Zenith Montre D'Aeronef Type 20 "Extra Special"
« on: April 02, 2014, 10:52:45 AM »
I must say this release caught me totally by surprise.
It was until a friend shared this pic that I decided to dig further...

It's the Zenith Montre D'Aeronef Type 20 "Extra Special"
Some might be asking... what's so special?
We'll get to that later.

Some might remember the Original Montre D'Aeronef Type 20 coming in at a behemoth 57.5mm?
A year later, Zenith released a few variations coming in at a time only 40mm (some say too small or it's for ladies) and GMT and Chrono Annual Calendar at 48mm (some say still too big)

Well, no worries coz this "Extra Special" comes in at 45mm... which is quite normal and wearable in this day and age.
No more subdials for running seconds (so no more complaints that the subdial is too close to the centre because of the small movement), it now comes with central seconds sweeping hand. I like it.

The movement part is what makes me go  ??? ??? ???

As we all know, Zenith is a storied full fledge manufacture with a commendable list of calibres to choose from.
A time only elite 680 with central seconds would be perfect for this watch.

But... Zenith choose to go with this Calibre Zenith 3000... woah... a new calibre? Far from it... it's actually a sellita...  ??? ??? ???

I receive this new release with mixed reactions.
At 45mm and time only... this watch is perfect for weekends.
Wearable, highly legible with a distinct style that is Zenith.
I am still  ??? ??? ??? as to why Zenith choose to go with a sellita movement.
Pricing is estimated at around 5000chf which puts in squarely with the likes of the 40mm IWC Ingeniur using a sellita movement as well.

What about u guys? What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 10:54:38 AM by hanz079 »
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline jason_recliner

Re: Zenith Montre D'Aeronef Type 20 "Extra Special"
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 11:57:22 AM »
Yep, read about this the other day.

What the hell?

If anybody can make a decent 3 hander it would be Zenith.  Geez, even if all they did was take an EP and pull of the chrono hands it would be better than using a Selitta.

Zenith fail.

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 12:13:21 PM »
Yeah... They could have used the Zenith caliber 2562, or the Elite 680, or even the El Primero 4650 with the chrono removed (currently used in the Espada watches)... But they chose a Sellita... mind boggling to say the least...
But I do like the watch...  :)
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

Offline swleong

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 12:37:07 PM »
They finally got the size right, at least for 'normal-size' wrist, but at the mean time, the 40mm still serves me well.

I actually think sub-dial second hand looks nicer than central second hand, as the sub-dial is 1 of the distinctive features from the original Montre D'Aeronef Type 20.

I'm not familiar with Sellita, but as a Manufacturer like Zenith not using their in-house, it is a sin.

Same goes to IWC  :Mad:

Offline mike

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 12:44:05 PM »
Honestly, the 3000 is a disgrace to Zenith :thumbsdown:

Offline watzisname

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 02:33:02 PM »
Haha, it's a special edition because it's "normal looking" compared to the rest of the lineup

Offline h.chang

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 03:18:37 PM »

Dial and crown has some resemblance to a 80-90 year old watch of mine.

Offline timenut

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2014, 07:20:55 PM »
I like how it looks except for the "Extra Special" text on the dial, which is rather odd when you think about it. What is so "extra special" about it, other than it does not use a Zenith movement?  :o

Being a fan of Zenith, I am quite disappointed to hear that Zenith is now using Sellita movements. Looks like its perceived status will be taking a hit, now that it's no longer fully in-house.  :HammerHead:

Offline pexus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2014, 07:51:07 AM »
I like how it looks except for the "Extra Special" text on the dial, which is rather odd when you think about it. What is so "extra special" about it, other than it does not use a Zenith movement?  :o

Being a fan of Zenith, I am quite disappointed to hear that Zenith is now using Sellita movements. Looks like its perceived status will be taking a hit, now that it's no longer fully in-house.  :HammerHead:

Nice looking piece actually. 

But yeah, why the phrase `Extra special'? There must be a reason behind it.
`Learning to appreciate my watch as a tool, and not some fancy branded jewelry'

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2014, 08:19:49 AM »
Not only special, it's extra special. More than your usual helicopter, fire ice etc.....

They have so many back catalogues of calibres to choose and update. It's sad that they choose this route. Who knows? Maybe this is a one off to gauge the interest before they come up with a better up sized manufacture calibre ala ETA and their Valgranges? So this limited number warrant a extra special moniker.

Better outrun my gun....faster than my bullet

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2014, 08:21:32 AM »
45mm gonna be a correct size for pilot watch...
Iwc big pilot 46mm still iconic...

Selita likely offering better terms

Offline swleong

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2014, 03:23:40 PM »

Out of topic a bit, it reminds me of why is the name for a clothing brand "Super Dry'?

What so dry about the cloths and jeans?  :Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline timenut

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2014, 09:26:08 PM »
But yeah, why the phrase `Extra special'? There must be a reason behind it.

I just discovered that apparently, Zenith had a watch that was called Extra Special. There's one on ebay :-

[mod : do not post commercial link]
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 07:36:11 AM by chrisyen »

Offline sidestreaker

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2014, 11:28:01 PM »
I came across a Zenith AD and this topic came to mind and I asked to try out both the Pilot watch below:

Of course, looking at the spec on paper, the Extra Special 45mm doesn't seem impressive compared to the in-house T20 40mm version. One can easily dismiss the 45mm being a sellita and all.

However, after test wearing them, and compared them side by side, I was completely surprised...

The 40mm on its own, is an impressive watch, great calibre and a fine instrument. You can't go wrong with it. It looks great both on my wrist and my wife's as well. Love it!

The 45 mm sellita movement however, had a greater wrist presence, impressive centre hacking second hand, a huge screw in onion crown that feels great, not too heavy, small lugs that goes well with small wrist like mine. It has all the appropriate spec of a pilot watch of that era and is cheaper BECAUSE of the sellita movement.

All I can say is that the Extra Special almost become my first Zenith watch.

My wife testing the 40mm

Although at 45mm, it wears surprising well and I love the centre second hand better

I will go against the grain here to say that the sellita 45mm is a better buy, with a more impressive overall package as a pilot watch ought to be. It has that X Factor feel similar to the aura of the Big Pilot. A very memorable watch. I'd strongly suggest anyone whose considering it to personally try it out first , rather than dismissing it quickly just because it does not carry an in-house calibre.

Offline Mox

• Freshie
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2014, 05:50:15 AM »
Hi Zenithians,

I watched a video during Basel whereby the CEO of Zenith (if not mistaken) was interviewed, and pointed out that reason being Sellita was used is to bring down the price to a more affordable range...if only it came in grande date version, surely will drive me bonkers  :Jumping: :Dancing_banana:

Offline watzisname

« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2014, 06:52:23 PM »
Good news guys ! Looks like zenith might drop the Sellita sw300 move .

Offline sean

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2014, 08:26:00 PM »
Good news guys ! Looks like zenith might drop the Sellita sw300 move .

Mind to share , where do you get the source from?

Offline watzisname

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2014, 08:48:05 PM »
There's a thread in WUS

Offline sean

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2014, 09:15:50 PM »
Ok thanks  :thumbsup:

Offline CKL1213

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2014, 06:43:47 AM »
using sellita that's why it's Extra Special

Offline davidtth

« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2014, 06:47:29 AM »
i'm somehow quite like how it looks like, and wonder if sellita movement is easy to maintain from 3rd party service ?

Offline watzisname

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2014, 07:36:48 AM »
i'm somehow quite like how it looks like, and wonder if sellita movement is easy to maintain from 3rd party service ?
I think Sellita is almost identical to ETA so sshould be easy to maintain

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2014, 08:18:19 AM »
I think Sellita is almost identical to ETA so sshould be easy to maintain

I was attending a local event last night and I met Mr.Hugo Escude, the Brand Director of Zenith in these parts of the world.
Tookthe chance to ask him all I need to know.
Yes, the sellita powered Type 20 Extra Special is discontinued as of now.
Whatever pieces left in the market will be the only ones left. Once they are sold, the reference will be no more.
It will of course be replaced with a new model (most probably be announced at Basel 2015) and will be Elite powered.
Design will be different, case would remain the same although it is unconfirmed yet.
Price will be higher of course. So we will have to wait and see.

As for the Captain collection that was announced at Basel 2014 that are also powered by the sellita, those are not even in the market yet and is already cancelled. So we won't be seeing those.

Asked about why those sellita powered captain hasn't made it's way into the market. It's because the demand for the Type 20 inspired designs are high, so those were released 1st.
So in other words... The only sellita powered watch in the Zenith catalog is only the Extra Special.

The watch will remain a "blip" in the long line of Zenith's Manufacture status.
Something that will hopefully never be repeated.

I am guessing maybe alot of u guys would like to see how the movement looks like?
Is there any decorations done? New Rotor perhaps.
Well, I took the liberty of taking a picture of the SW-300 taken from the Zenith Manual.
I wish a can take a picture of the movement proper, but this will have to do for now.

Offline davidtth

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2014, 09:42:16 AM »
thanks Hanz for clarify :) yup thats what i get to know about the discont of this model due to many Zenith fan argue about a non in-house movement for the first time appearing in Zenith watch range. now they had made their right move buy putting in their in-house moment and the question now is, is this model become a collector piece in future ?

nonetheless, the movement looks awesome with their own rotor ! :)

Offline watzisname

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2014, 11:40:50 AM »
Well how bout that ? Now it really is special. Limited edition zenith with sellita movement  :Laughing_on_floor:

:Cheers: