Author Topic: My latest Acquisition : Benarus Sea Devil PVD Black Dial LE #10 / 100  (Read 6573 times)

Offline magpies14

Hi all...

been quiet lately...till i got my latest acquisition to my collection..well i actually got 2 set of Benarus Sea Devil but unfortunately 1 of them got to go (My home minister is really making lotsa noise about this acquisition already)...so decide to keep the Black dial and let go of the orange one..(can be found in the Sales thread)..

Actually this is my 2nd watch purchased from Ralf of Benarus....very cool guy and very good in customer satisfactory ...i can vouch for that..

The set came to my office during lunch time.....

Here are the pictures...

Offline magpies14

Re: My latest Acquisition : Benarus Sea Devil PVD Black Dial LE #10 / 100
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 09:39:54 PM »
Borrowed from WUS ...review from one of the WIS member who also got the watch ...

FROM WatchuSeek

Beyond 'The Box'

I've had the Sea Devil for only 72 hours now, but I've worn it for those 72 hours straight, without taking it off to for sleep, shower, etc, so I think I've got a pretty good gauge for assessment. Here it is...

First thing's first, I give an overall rating, then break it down: 8.8/10

1. Fit and Finish: I chose the brushed finish, because I simply find it to be the most appealing aesthetically combined with the most resistant to visible damage as well as the easiest to refinish incase of damages beyond one's tolerances. This one is very and pleasantly uniform; where with some watches I've owned there have been noticeable differences in the finish between the bracelet and case, and even between the different areas of the case, such as lugs vs. case sides and/or bezel. The lugs are reasonably angled to fit snugly to the wrist, and although my wrists are very small and this tends to hang over slightly on the top side, that is the fault of a WIS who chooses to buy watches too big for himself, not that of the maker's. The only downside to the finish of this watch is that there wasn't options of mixed finishes, and I'm a big fan of having the majority of my watches brushed, with just the slightest bit of polishing on the bezel and crown as accents. The dimensions are 45mm diameter, 16.5mm in height, a lug-tip to lug-tip of 54mm, and a springbar to springbar of 50mm. The best part about this beast, for me, would be the sweet caseback. It's nicely labeled and engraved with the Benarus logo, limited edition numbering, as well as stainless steel, 1000m/3300ft, and Sapphire crystal. Each crown is also signed with the Benarus "B", which looks great from the side view, and both seem to screw and unscrew without any play or issues - very solid. (9/10)

2. Dial and Bezel: The dial is VERY clean, and that's something to hold in high regards as a diver's watch. The dial/crystal size is the, arguably, standard 32mm and the bezel alignment is so near perfect I cannot discern or say anything negative there, plus it's a 120 click as opposed to 60, which I'm a big fan of. The markings on the bezel are complete, meaning there are no four hash marks where there should be five, and there's a large hash at every five minute mark as well as the, again arguably, standard first 20 completely marked. Each mark lines up with perfection and the lume dot at the top is very visible at night. The version I've chose is the white/full lume dial, and I cannot rave about it enough. The lume color is a very nice blue which I tested the first evening to 8 hours of straight powerful and legible illumination. The only down side to the dial is the date window, which it's obvious from even the Benarus website pictures is too small for the date wheel, and the first digit is slightly cut off on double digit dates. (9/10)

3. Straps and Bracelet: The watch comes on a fitted solid endlink bracelet, with a leather strap with matching stitching, and a rubber dive strap also. Included were two screwdrivers for what most dive watch collectors will tell you is a highly revered screwed link and lug set up. That means that everything is held together by screwed down bars. The links in the bracelet have tiny screws that were very easy to remove, as well the straps and bracelet are held to the watch by a screw fit bar and drilled lugs. A very sturdy and secure system, which actually takes no more time to swap than the standard springbar system you'll find in most watches. It also came with two different clasps for the bracelet, which is great. There's the double deployment butterfly style, and single deployment with fold over safety clasp style, included. They are also very easy to swap out, I immediately did so with mine upon receiving the package. Both straps included have a nice signed tang style buckle, also with a nicely signed tail keeper (not sure on the proper terminology for that piece, but this should suffice). The bracelet is actually quite light in comparison to other's I've owned on such big watches, but not in a bad way, it holds the watch down nice to the wrist and allows for no added play, unless you've got it to fit loosely. That said, I simply don't like the bracelet, I'm a bracelet guy, but the one used on this watch has very small links, which seem to go on forever and are simply visibly unappealing to me. They're very plain and boring and just don't do it for me at all. The downside to the leather strap is that the gap for the lugbar is just ever-so-slightly too large, and allows for some slop in the wear, which leaves the watch often un-centered on the wrist, and though it's not exactly uncomfortable, it is somewhat unattractive... though hardly noticeable, just to be honest, I'm very nit-picky. I've left mine on the leather strap, because the combo is just perfect, and I love how chunky the thick strap looks on this beast of a watch. (6/10)

4. Movement & Accuracy: The Sea Devil uses the ever-popular "work-horse" Citizen automatic Miyota 8215. It's not a pretty movement, but it gets the job done, any job! I've got to say this right now, I've had something against this movement for a long time now, because of a previously bad experience with one in another watch I use to own. I've now found out that I had a bum movement in that other watch, as this one, thus far, is performing flawlessly. I asked Ralf before they were shipped if he'd accept a small fee for personally regulating the watch for me, and though I'm not sure if he did this or not, as his response was rather "political", I'm assuming he must have, because so far, over the three days, it has proven an accuracy of +1 second per day. AND he did this without accepting the offered fee -- WOW! I'm completely blown away by that myself, as these movements are not known for being nearly so accurate, let alone they have the tendency of being the hardest to regulate due to a very temperamental lever system. Anyway, I know that this isn't necessarily going to remain a constant, as movements tend to break themselves in over a period of a few weeks, and time will tell (pun not intended, just worked out) if this gets better or worse, but for now I'm pleased as pie! The "whirl" of the rotor on this one isn't nearly as noticeable as I remembered my last being, that's probably due to the case size and spacers used. It's quite quiet, and unless I put my ear up to it, I tend not to notice it throughout the day. (10/10)

5. Presentation & Customer Service: I know to some this isn't important at all, but to me presentation is a big deal. This already awesome watch came in a really nice leather travel case, with two strap down watch ports, and two compartments for different straps and included screwdrivers. The case is beautiful, and the same exact material with matching stitching as the leather strap that comes with the watch. I've also been looking for a nice travel case lately and now that has been taken care of with this beauty! As for customer service, I don't think I have to say it, but Ralf is "THE MAN"!!! He always answered every email correspondence both timely and tactfully, no matter how ridiculous the question might have been... and I think we all know how ridiculous I can be! (10/10)

I can't really think of any other points to bring up, so on to the pictures... sorry that they're not the best of quality, all I have available, still, is my cell-phone camera, but hopefully these can give you all an idea of the sweet beast!

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 09:51:22 PM »
nice catch my friend...
the price is attractive...
congratulations...

Offline danny

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 07:21:57 AM »
Hi magpies,
Great looking watch you've got there.  :thumbsup: Congratulations.
Do let is know about the performance of the Miyota movement after you've worn the watch for a week or two.
 :Cheers:

Offline magpies14

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 07:35:07 AM »
Will do Danny...

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 08:20:24 AM »
yeah.... we can consider to use this miyolta for the 1000m project watch if it perform well...
then we can keep the cost very low...

Offline Leftear

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2009, 10:29:52 AM »
Cool watch you have there dude  :Cheers:
always have a soft spot for pvd  :P
here is something I acquired mainly for the pvd and green military dial  :Cheers:

borrowed pics

Offline chiewata

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2009, 03:09:40 AM »
Cool watch you have there dude  :Cheers:
always have a soft spot for pvd  :P
here is something I acquired mainly for the pvd and green military dial  :Cheers:

borrowed pics

cool watch...more sexy pics here... ;D ;D