Author Topic: A little of your opinions needed. Thank you  (Read 9963 times)

Offline dualcarb

A little of your opinions needed. Thank you
« on: February 12, 2014, 12:10:23 PM »
Dear members of the forum,

I have had a nagging thing going on in my head for the longest time. And I would like to seek fellow watch lovers out there to see if what I am thinking of is justified. The thing is this, while I don't have an extensive collection of watches...I do have enough to neglect some of them long enough to feel guilty. So I am thinking of maybe letting two of them go to purchase one. This is what I have at the moment...

And what I am thinking of letting go is my Ball Engineer Master II GMT, and my IWC 3717. In favour for a Grand Seiko SBGR083
http://www.grand-seiko.com/collection/9s-mechanical/SBGR083.html

Am I nuts to let go of two just to get one? I hardly wear the Ball these days as it is just too "rugged" for me and I wear my cheap cheap Seiko and Orient to work more often than the others. The Milgauss does get some wrist time and I am starting to love it's size and balance. The IWC is feeling a little too "rugged" for me as the bracelet is wide and 42mm is feeling "big.

Strange as it may sound, I am moving into smaller diameter watches. Any advice and opinion is much appreciated. Thank you all.

DC

Offline meoramri

• Global Moderator
    • My Eastern Watch Collection
Re: A little of your opinions needed. Thank you
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 12:43:36 PM »
It appears you have two issues which seem connected by in reality are not.
1. To release the Ball and IWC due to 'incompatibility' issues;
2. Wanting a GS SBGR083.

Get the GS and start the process of disposing at the best possible price concurrently. Don't do (1) first before going to (2). Otherwise you may end up:
a. selling your incompatible watches at rock bottom prices just to speed up the process; or
b. waited so long to finish process (1) that (2) is not possible because the GS increased its price/unavailable/etc

my 2 cents worth...
Main watch blog visit: http://easternwatch.blogspot.com

Offline notmanic

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 12:51:10 PM »
GXFC DC! Believe the season of spring has got the cleaning bug in you actively seeking to clear up some items. Believe most of us are in the long and winding road to collect watches and for some new ones to come along, some old ones must go. Believe time is not a factor and that you will wait for the most opportune moment to act.

Looking at your collection now, agree with you that the Ball seems to be the odd one out and should be the first one to go. Since you already have the Speedy as your trusty chronograph, this also allows for the IWC to be dismissed (unless it is seen as the sole Pilot in your collection which you may want to keep).

Not sure if I was of any help. As for me, am still looking to add on a Pilot and/or Worldtimer but pending sufficient funds to do so.

Good luck with your decision!  :Cheers:

Offline swleong

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 12:55:12 PM »
If it were me, I will:-

1) Ditch the normal Seiko, Orient, Ball and IWC and get some money back from selling
2) Keep the Milgauss and Speedy
3) Save/top up more to get an AP RO Jumbo.

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 01:24:51 PM »
Dear DC,
In the first place, why don't you rotate wearing all your watches so that you don't feel guilty at all.
Of course each of us have very different personalities but if you continuously reach for a few pieces and put off wearing the others, it may be a sign that you should dispose those you always put off wearing, unless they are deemed to be precious to be exposed to damage and not because you have no more love for them.

Without knowing your preferences and whether you lead an active or passive lifestyle (work/pleasure), its hard to imagine what sort of watches would suit you, besides your personal taste.

I'm sure each of us would have an idea of what he would let go given our personal preferences.

I think you need to ask yourself whether you can be a 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 watch guy or you like to collect whatever watches that you are attracted to. Given tat you have 6 watches but yet feel that you are neglecting some of them, I'd guess that you can be a 2/3 or 4 watch kind of guy. If that is accurate then why not have one dress watch for formal functions, one for work, and another for outdoor/casual weekend.

Between the Speedy and IWC, I'd choose one for outdoor/casual use but I suspect the IWC would be hardier and you can always put in on a water resistant strap since you find the bracelet uncomfortable.

The Milgaus can be kept for those formal occasions or for work (if you are office based)

Sell the rest and get the GS..

Some people I know wear the same watch day in and out for years. For them, if they appreciate the fine things in life I'd recommend them a once and for all top drawer watch be it PP, AP, VC, ALS, etc.

Other people like me, get bored wearing the same watch more than a day or two and like rotating each of my watches daily. So for me having 20-30 watches is manageable and having just 3 -5 watches even top drawer would be boring.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 01:27:55 PM by JOS2012 »
Personal taste and preferences evolve over years, hopefully not 1 full circle otherwise it means we haven't learnt a single thing.

Offline dualcarb

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 01:52:35 PM »
Thank you all for the great advice, thank you all for putting so much thought into my "dilemma". My bad for not revealing more of myself before seeking advice from you all.

Firstly, I was really an outdoorsy person, hence I still have my trusty G-Shock for all of my tennis, running and "rough" activities. I use the term "was" outdoorsy...as I have to take care of my very active two year old on my days off. So this takes away 98% of the time that I used to have for my hobbies. My wife and I take turns taking care of the little one as we don't have a helper at home. The reason why we are able to do this is because of what my wife and I do for a living.

I work as a flight attendant...so my Seiko and a quartz Tissot T-Touch is what I wear to work most of the time. The IWC and GV does get some wrist time, and the Orient is my "dressy" watch for when I do wear a suit and tie and more formal occasions. But the IWC gets less wrist time than my GV. The Ball gets the least wrist time and the rubber strap gets caught in my shirt sleeve a lot, which is why I wear either steel or leather bracelets more than the rubber ones. I do have days where I work in the office and this is when I feel a GS would really be of help...heh heh...excuses...but then again...timeless classic elegance, how do you beat that?

I was thinking for the longest time to purchase another Rolex, but then again...I can't seem to find another Rolex that I like more than my GV. The closest contender for the GS for me would be the Rolex Explorer I. 39mm version or the 41mm DJ II, black dial with sticks. But then again, this is pretty similar to the GV. Which is why I was so seriously considering the GS.

The speedy pro is such an iconic watch, I would keep it forever without thought. So there you go...would there be further advice given the information that I have just provided? Thank you all once again for the advice and opinions...

DC

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 02:02:51 PM »
Given this additional and critical info, the situation has definitely changed  :mooning:
We didn't know you aredy have a G-shock, T-touch and you won't let go of your Speedmaster  :HammerHead:

;D

Will give you more input after a good night's sleep.... :Laughing_on_floor:
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 02:09:48 PM by JOS2012 »
Personal taste and preferences evolve over years, hopefully not 1 full circle otherwise it means we haven't learnt a single thing.

Offline dualcarb

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2014, 02:08:39 PM »
Sorry Boss...sorry sorry... ;D...I buy you the tarik when we have a chance to meet...

DC

Given this additional and critical info, the situation has definitely changed  :mooning:
We didn't know you aredy have a G-shock, T-touch and you won't let go of your Speedmaster  :HammerHead:

;D

Will give you more input after a good night's sleep.... :Laughing_on_floor:

« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 02:10:51 PM by JOS2012 »

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2014, 02:14:39 PM »
Its very obvious that your heart is set on keeping 2 pcs...
Speedmaster & GV

and you want the additional GS...

So just keep 1 beater whether G-Shock or T-touch and sell ALL the rest....

I didn't need the sleep after all..

Offline dualcarb

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2014, 02:24:39 PM »
Well...thank you all once again for the advice, I think I will post an incoming in the coming two months. just let me sell the watches off first. Do look out in the for sale section... :Cheers:

DC

Offline theseira

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2014, 06:45:27 PM »
Speedmaster & GV

I like your suggestion about selling all and keeping the GV and Speedy. I would do exactly the same thing.  :Cheers:

Well...thank you all once again for the advice, I think I will post an incoming in the coming two months. just let me sell the watches off first. Do look out in the for sale section... :Cheers:

DC

Have you already decided which watch to get?

The black dial sticks DJII is so similar to your GV and I think the GV looks better.

I'll definitely pass on the DJII. I am also not a fan of the explorer one. Having said all of that if I were you I would definitely get a GMTIIc. it will be my flight piece! But if your waiting for 2 months, I would hold off till basel world 2014 to see if there are any cooler pieces before pulling the trigger.

Anyways all the best with your choice.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2014, 06:54:31 PM »
Selling two for one is OK if you no longer feel for them. Case closed.

Offline dualcarb

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2014, 08:06:35 PM »
Good suggestion...thank you, I might as well wait for Basel to see what new models come out. My sentiments are the same about the DJ, too similar to the GV and I do prefer the GV.

Funny thing is...everytime I feel like letting a piece go...I would put it on for two days...and then feel that, hey...I still like it and it looks OK. Which is why I bought it in the first place. Sigh...contradictions

Thank you theseira and DP for your advice. I will try to make my mind up soon. One of the reason why I find it so difficult to sell is because, I once sold one of my watches, an IWC 3706. Thinking that since I would be "upgrading" to the 3717 it would make no sense keeping two watches that are highly similar. I bought the 3717 because of the red second marker and the bigger 42mm case...but now it seems that I wanna go backwards to smaller cases. So therefore I am kinda swaying left and right here. Oh well...lets see where this takes me.

DC

Speedmaster & GV

I like your suggestion about selling all and keeping the GV and Speedy. I would do exactly the same thing.  :Cheers:

DC

Have you already decided which watch to get?

The black dial sticks DJII is so similar to your GV and I think the GV looks better.

I'll definitely pass on the DJII. I am also not a fan of the explorer one. Having said all of that if I were you I would definitely get a GMTIIc. it will be my flight piece! But if your waiting for 2 months, I would hold off till basel world 2014 to see if there are any cooler pieces before pulling the trigger.

Anyways all the best with your choice.

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2014, 08:54:58 PM »
First... it's not silly at all to ditch 2 pieces to buy one.
I once ditched 4 pieces to buy one.
Second... if it doesn't get enough wrist time... it's dead weight.
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline dpkong

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2014, 11:48:00 PM »

Thank you theseira and DP for your advice. I will try to make my mind up soon. One of the reason why I find it so difficult to sell is because, I once sold one of my watches, an IWC 3706. Thinking that since I would be "upgrading" to the 3717 it would make no sense keeping two watches that are highly similar. I bought the 3717 because of the red second marker and the bigger 42mm case...but now it seems that I wanna go backwards to smaller cases. So therefore I am kinda swaying left and right here. Oh well...lets see where this takes me.

DC

If that's the case, and if funds allow, acquire a new piece first and then decide.

Offline dualcarb

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2014, 06:30:06 PM »
Thank you all once again for the kind advice and opinions...

Today was the last day that I was wearing this

And I went to buy this

After purchasing the GS...I put both watches side by side...sorry forgot to take side by side pics. But there was no doubt in my mind that the GS is the more attractive piece...to me at least...no disrespect to the IWC lovers out there as I have had an IWC in my possession for over 10 years starting with the 3706.           

So therefore, I decided to say goodbye to the IWC 3717...and a big HELLO to my GS SBGR 083

Can't be a happier man  :Cheers:

DC

Offline theseira

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2014, 06:56:48 PM »
Wow nice congrats!

Offline @tsw@

• My precious
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2014, 07:02:48 PM »
Congrats. However would like to enquire why the auto but not the spring drive model.

Offline sean

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2014, 07:31:11 PM »
Congra, welcome to the GS club :thumbsup:

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2014, 07:38:39 PM »
Congrats on the 083…you move fast.
You're in HK if I'm not wrong.
Can you pm on how much the nett price was for the 083.

I think you chose the 083 due to the hour n minute hands brushed in the centre and polished on the sides &
also the beautifully brushed and polished lugs…

Anyway its never easy choosing which GS to buy as each model has its own highlights….

My idea of the perfect GS is a snowflake dial with a hi-beat movement, thin baton hour indices like the hi-beat….horlogical nirvana
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 07:41:14 PM by JOS2012 »

Offline dualcarb

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2014, 08:46:53 PM »
Thank you all...the reason why I chose this particular model was as JOS2012 mentioned...plus the gold accented second hand and gold GS logo. And to add cream to the top...it is a limited edition of only 700 pieces worldwide...it really is a beautiful work of art.

As to why I didn't chose the spring drive...I think that it kinda makes the dial just a tad too busy. These days, I am leaning more towards watches that are really simple, clean and classy. Which is one of the reasons why I didn't hesitate letting the 3717 go.

DC

Offline r3kahsttub

• Awake, but asleep
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2014, 10:49:55 PM »
Very clean, very nice. Enjoy in good health!

Offline euclidorus

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2014, 08:37:31 AM »
Congrats on the 083, DC. This model is the modern interpretation of the 44GS. I'm sure you will be continually fascinated with its superb gloss black dial, polished/brushed hands, beveled markers and angular casework. Enjoy!
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

Offline farhanbh100

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2014, 04:40:54 PM »
hey congrats on ur new GS.. mind PM me purchase details.. itchy after seeing ur GS...

Offline JeepWH

• Tick...tick...tick....
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2014, 07:43:35 PM »
Nice GS, will be my first puchase when i start working and have enough $$$
Seiko fan.....