Author Topic: High end brand, low end service in KL  (Read 27691 times)

Offline sidestreaker

Re: High end brand, low end service in KL
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2014, 05:19:49 PM »
I think everyone reserves the right to dress modestly and simple as he wishes, especially on a leisure weekend walk. Unfortunately, it not a surprise that people tends to judge a person from the exterior. Human beings are somewhat superficial beings. However, this is not an excuse to be rude.

I’m not worth 6 figures but when I do dress casual, I clad on decently, partly because of vanity, partly also to respect my fashionable lady who walks besides me. When I say decently, meaning a proper walking leather shoe, jeans/khakis and polo t-shirt. Even so, that doesn't spare me from having rude treatment every once in a while.

Depending on the ‘mood’ on the encounter, I would sometimes be honest and declare that I’m not buying anything,  and ask if it’s ok just walk around and have a look. The typical response is sometimes more favorable than I thought. They even invited me to try some of the displays and offer free brochures, to the point of making me feel guilty not buying anything. Knowledgeable staffs are rare but when I do come across, we normally have a good time chatting about time piece without any transaction. They do response positively when we show appreciation of their knowledge. 

I then realize that they are human too. It’s not easy to stand around the boutique for the entire day and can still smile to each and every individual walking in the shop. Not to mention having to deal with some really painful and obnoxious customers as well.

I totally agree that customer comes first, and there’s no excuse for a sales-person to be rude, but sometimes, we need to ‘work-on’ that human relationship in order to get the right response we desire, which may include some tolerance towards unintentional insensitive remarks and stares. That’s just the reality of things. To expect every customer service to be perfect is just not possible. By the way, rude behavior is not exclusive to Malaysian boutiques, there are far worst out there.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 05:23:30 PM by sidestreaker »

Offline dpkong

« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2014, 07:16:33 PM »

This may or may not apply to many here but...  when people walk into stores with no intention to actually buy a watch, or think that being able to afford a 20/30k watch entitles them to first-class service, they will be utterly disappointed or sometimes surprised.

Being salespeople, I'm sure they've seen their fair share of people who actually come ready to buy, just viewing or those who want to try every watch on. Sometimes I wonder if they have a sixth sense to detect that.

I must admit I've had a few sour encounters with salespeople and unless I really need something, I just smile and walk away.

Take the instance when I went to the AP boutique at Starhill. I was there to get a rubber strap. The initial encounter was lukewarm when I was just browsing and asked about the Royal Oak range, and this was with my Offshore on the wrist. Getting bored, I just asked if they had a rubber strap in stock and when they said yes, I asked them to mount it on. From then on, they were more friendly and asked my wife to try on a few pieces.

I was also at the PP boutique in KLCC at least twice and both times, they were very nice. I got to try on a Nautilus. They were also trying to recommend some Annual Calendars to me but I told them I had no interest in those. Was given catalogs to take home but refused them the second time and told them I already had one.

Rolex ADs were hit-n-miss. Some good and some completely cold. At one AD, a fellow who looked like the owner even told me "..standard 10% off the Datejust range but if you're going to buy now, we can work out a great deal for you". At some other places, no one even bothered to attend to me so I just walked off.

Now in Singapore, I had a nice conversation with a PP salesperson. When he asked what I was looking for, I gave him a model number and he directed me to a nice seat and took out a similar model since they didn't have the actual one. We talked about the movement, price and he offered a discount and GST rebate at the airport. Again offered catalogs but refused. Same in the Lange AD. Was given a very long "lecture" about origins, how they were made etc. Impressive!

But the Breitling AD was terrible. Spent nearly 10 mins looking through the whole range but the 3 salesmen did not even ask if we needed help. You could feel they were trying hard to keep their distance.

So in summary, don't put down our own ADs and praise those elsewhere. It's all the same.

Some tips for visiting ADs..

1. Put yourself in their shoes. They've been on their feet all day trying to make a sale to all kinds of visitors. Be nice and smile.

2. Have a target and go straight for it when asked. This shows you are looking for something, not just looking around. An "uh.. err.. just looking" is not a good conversation starter.

3. Don't ask to try on every single watch you have the slightest interest in. Those are NEW watches and the risks of damage increases when it comes out of the case into your hands.

4. Be confident in yourself. It will make you feel less intimidated by their attitude and will project a positive image of yourself as well.

5. Be realistic. Don't immediately ask to try on the solid gold tourbillon if it's way out of your budget. You could try your luck later if the conversation is going well and the salesperson is friendly enough.

Hope this helps.

Offline euclidorus

« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2014, 07:54:56 PM »
That is one great piece of High End Watch Buying 101 from you, dpkong! Couldn't agree more.

I personally think that differing levels of conditioning of sales staff arising from higher traffic of potential buyers to Sg compared to Msia may point to a disparity in service experienced by various people.

Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2014, 07:58:20 PM »
I agree with what Bro Dpkong is saying at the above as well as his advice.

As salespeople, I am very sure they are trying to meet a quota. So naturally, the main idea is to sell a piece. If every time a person enters a shop and asks to try on a piece, mind you we are talking of something that costs thousands of RM. If there is some damage appearing on the watch, I am very sure the actual buyer and the sales personnel would be a peeved off. An experience of this occuring was in an AD in Pavilion,KL during the Journey Through Time Event 3 years ago. A well-dressed 'customer' was eyeing a piece I wanted but since he was there first, he had first priority at it. The sales personnel was going through the merits of the watch and complimenting how good it was on his wrist. Said 'customer' was clearly enjoying the attention and the praise of the sales personnel. He handled the watch, tried it and looked at it under different lighting, used a loupe to inspect the finishing and the movement, rubbed it against his shirt to remove fingerprints and turned the price tag and concluded that he was not going to get it and put the watch down on the counter. This was after 20-30 minutes of molesting the timepiece. Said 'customer' was wearing cufflinks. When he left and I got to have a go at the watch, there were 1 or 2 hairlines on the case. I was very annoyed that the watch has damage and I pointed it out to the sales personnel. The sales personnel was clearly shocked and offered to polish the watch before selling it to me but I wasn't going to have any of that as it would mean polishing away the metal. Instead, I used at as an opportunity to get a higher discount than what could be offered. The sales personnel had to go to the manager who proceed to ask the regional manager if they could sell at that price. Of course, you should hear what abuse was hurled at the prior 'customer' by the sales personnel in the process. So in a way, I am sure ADs cant afford to go through all the hassle to give big discounts just because of some less-than-careful 'customers' such as these trying out pieces just to get a 'feel' of it.

I however highly disagree on them looking down on people for no apparent reason. Another experience I had was when I walked into another AD in KL. At that material time, I was dress casually with a U-Boat strapped to the wrist. I was asking to look at one or two of the pieces there (Ball Engineer Hydrocarbon 'Mad Cow' and the other was an Omega Planet Ocean) with an intention to buy but no one wanted to attend to me. The only sales personnel shadowing me kept saying, " those pieces are very expensive and quite limited in KL you know.." No matter. I came back the next day with a better piece (Panerai PAM183) on my wrist.  Apparently the piece I wanted to look at the day earlier wasn't so expensive anymore and it could be taken out from the showcase to be shown to me.  :Laughing_on_floor:

What I can say is this. This does not only happen in high end boutiques. It can happen in any AD or boutique. The main lesson is to build a good reputation with a store and enjoy your purchase and your experience from there.
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline nye79

• Freshie
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2014, 08:07:13 PM »
great piece of words!!!

Offline @tsw@

• My precious
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2014, 08:07:30 PM »
If I don't recall wrongly I used a mixture of cantonese and english. Ended up with shitty service.

Sir dpkong..... Could it be that you spoke perfect english when conversing at patek boutique and got the correct treatment. :Laughing_on_floor:

Jokes aside.

I was able to experience the good, the bad and the ulgy... All from the same AD but at different outlets while looking at lange. In terms of service/product knowledge and discounts, klcc was bad, starhill was ulgy and pavillion was surprising  pleasant.

Offline euclidorus

« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2014, 08:13:36 PM »
If I don't recall wrongly I used a mixture of cantonese and english. Ended up with shitty service.
Don't think that matters as long you are clear in your conversation. It's all in the body language.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

Offline kenji1903

• My travel blog :P
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2014, 04:43:05 AM »
well... being Asians... at least for me, sad truth is its pretty normal to get such service/treatment when you dress down a little bit... no point getting :Scolding: over some sales person who somehow doesn't like his job or has attitude problem or woke up on the wrong side of the bed, etc etc etc...

there's always a more deserving personnel in another AD/boutique/store "next door" :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline Calibr

« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2014, 11:11:39 AM »
well... being Asians... at least for me, sad truth is its pretty normal to get such service/treatment when you dress down a little bit... no point getting :Scolding: over some sales person who somehow doesn't like his job or has attitude problem or woke up on the wrong side of the bed, etc etc etc...

there's always a more deserving personnel in another AD/boutique/store "next door" :Laughing_on_floor:

:thumbsup: It's not about putting down some of the sales staff in local ADs. It's about taking our business to those who treat their customers with respect and decorum, whether the customers are still in fact-finding mode, or have decided to pull the trigger.

Offline Pajero

• Freshie
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2014, 11:20:59 AM »
Based on the experiences shared here, I am of the view that the ADs in Malaysia need to be more customer friendly. The watches that they are selling are not cheap. It is normal for people to make enquiries, try out a few models/brands before making a decision on what to buy. Regardless of how they dress, these ADs need to be more accomodating. They also need to polish up on how they respond... stating that the price is RM18k and it is expensive is just bad choice of words.

Anyhow, I have stepped into Rolex AD at Pavilion and Gardens, another watch shop that sells Panerai at Gardens; the sales person was friendly, informative and tactful. So no complaints from me. But I think it is hit and miss. I was just fortunate to have met the good ones.

Offline wshiong

« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2014, 11:42:47 AM »
Well at least we go with casual wear like long jeans or something like that rather then shorts and slippers. People will not look down on you. Not only watch shop, Even hotel or high end restaurant, slippers and shorts are probably out.

Offline ndtaan

« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2014, 12:01:12 PM »
I think we should just focus on our reason why we drop in to the AD in the first place.
WE just want to look around for some interesting pieces or maybe to buy one.
Don't let any sales person get you down,remember we're there for the watches,period.
You walk in ,ask for the watches,try it,molest it,maybe buy it then get out.
If the sales person is helpful,thank him/her.
If not,go about have a good time in the AD then walk out.
I think mostly it's our perception of the way others look at us that puts you in the defensive.If that's the case than I think you have a serious case of inferior complex.
Think about it,the AD that sell those watches are not cater for the laymen but for those who appreciate the value that comes with the watches.
And if you dress like a slob don't blame others if you don't get the correct attention cos in the first place you portray yourself shabbily.
Finally it's all about self confidence,if you oozes it,people will find it hard to ignore you. :thumbsup:   

Offline Yikkie

« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2014, 03:26:16 PM »
Well at least we go with casual wear like long jeans or something like that rather then shorts and slippers. People will not look down on you. Not only watch shop, Even hotel or high end restaurant, slippers and shorts are probably out.
Yes, I do agree that it is best to always dress according to the occasion.  There are some people who thinks that money is everything and they could dress however they like since they have the money to splurge.  As they say, money can't buy class.  I have seen people wearing Bermudas and slippers to a fancy restaurant or those who wear jeans to a wedding dinner at a 5star hotel...and these people wonder why they don't get the respect they think they deserve. 

Offline dpkong

« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2014, 05:22:39 PM »
Is the venue for the MWF annual dinner going to be a fancy restaurant because all I have are jeans and slippers.... no money left for classy clothes after spending it on watches.

:Laughing_on_floor:

It's not as much about expensive clothes. You can wear jeans, t-shirt and slippers and still make it look good.

Offline gucciposh

« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2014, 06:20:46 PM »
It's not about what we wear...sometimes we can't judge a book by it's cover!
I can still get a good service at LV store, simply wearing t-shirt, short pants & flip flops!  :thumbsup:
Of course women don't work as hard as men cos they always get it right for the first time :-p

Offline Yikkie

« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2014, 06:38:50 PM »
It's not about what we wear...sometimes we can't judge a book by it's cover!
I can still get a good service at LV store, simply wearing t-shirt, short pants & flip flops!  :thumbsup:
That is because you are GucciPosh!   ;D... And wearing short pants is always  :thumbsup: for the fairer sex.  :Cheers:
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 06:40:36 PM by Yikkie »

Offline @tsw@

• My precious
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2014, 07:01:07 PM »
I feel its more with looks. Pretty people will always have an upper hand when it comes to things like job opportunity, service received and receiving assistance.

Pretty people can dress however they want and still get things going their way.

because pretty people knows they are pretty and naturally the confidence comes. This leaves insecure small people like me needing nice accessories aka haute horology to compensate for the insecurity. Not that I'm complaining.

;D

Offline Calibr

« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2014, 07:21:35 PM »

because pretty people knows they are pretty and naturally the confidence comes. This leaves insecure small people like me needing nice accessories aka haute horology to compensate for the insecurity. Not that I'm complaining.

Haha.. that's a good one! A very classy looking ALS you have there! :thumbsup:

Offline dpkong

« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2014, 07:55:02 PM »
I feel its more with looks. Pretty people will always have an upper hand when it comes to things like job opportunity, service received and receiving assistance.

Pretty people can dress however they want and still get things going their way.

;D

My friend,

When you think like that, you appear to be harbouring an inferiority complex.... or is that just pure sarcasm?

To get respect, we must give respect and that to all the salespeople as well. Once, I had a friend comment after leaving an AD (after a poor experience) that "they probably couldn't afford to buy what they were selling themselves". That's just looking down on others. One saleslady at the Singapore AP boutique showed me her Lady Offshore with a diamond bezel when I commented about the size on small wrists. Stunning!

A crude person adorned with a solid gold Rolex Day-Date and gold chain around the neck the size of a ship's anchor would probably get good service at any AD but you would not want to hear the opinions of the salespeople after he leaves. Same for the well dressed or pretty customer who takes his time and tries everything and leaves without buying.

When I window shop, I don't ask to try anything on and usually refuse when offered. I don't want to waste their time. And if they ignore me in the shop, I just leave and go elsewhere unless they're the only shop with the one I want.

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2014, 08:32:01 PM »
confidence always play a part!

i actually wear slippers, shorts n t shirt most of the time during weekend... going everywhere!
i have my 4th pair comfort teva slipper for new 8 yrs.... only lately added a keen

Offline dennis.T

• Global Moderator
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2014, 08:53:25 PM »
I was once visit the iwc boutique at ION orchard with jeans, collar shirt with safety boots... Yes safety boots and request the SA to show me the big pilot...

you know what? They really show me by lead me to the front display and point me which is big pilot  :Laughing_on_floor: but have no intention to take out the watch for me to try on... :Blue:

Another funny encounter is with grey dealer.. window shopping with my 5711 and stumble upon to a preown shop so I enter the shop and ask the owner of the shop to let me try on the ROO diver.. The Boss reluctantly take out the watch and say this one need 16k sgd.. Are u sure u want to try?? I was like :o

Offline Yikkie

« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2014, 09:44:27 PM »
My worst ever encounter was ironically, at an AD at Pavillion that sells Seikos.  I was interested in some of the Seiko Premier models and when I told the sales guy that I wanted to have a closer look, he just gave me a  :Mad: look and brought it out reluctantly for me to try.  He was monosyllabic and not at all interested to make the sale.  Always encountered pleasant service at the higher end ADs most of the time.  The best of the best that I have ever encountered are definitely JLC boutique at Starhill in M'sia and L'Atelier at Ion in Singapore.  Sometimes, it really depends on which sales person you get.  Some are really not fit to be in the sales line, let alone the luxury watch business.

Offline Enkidu

« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2014, 10:05:05 PM »
Can someone please send me a list of all the shops / ADs / boutiques which have unfriendly sales staff who refuse to take out watches so that you guys can try them on? Because these are the shops I truly prefer. The last thing I want is to buy a watch which others have molested with their probably unhygienic hands leaving all sort of scratches, DNAs and saliva.

Want respect? Feel insecure with the way people look at you when you are wearing only a Casio or Timex or in Bermudas? Just throw a bag (like the one Santa uses) of hard solid cash on the table the minute you walk in. That should solve the problem. Welcome to the real world. 

Offline @tsw@

• My precious
« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2014, 05:29:50 AM »

My friend,

When you think like that, you appear to be harbouring an inferiority complex.... or is that just pure sarcasm?

I was just being sarcastic, but seriously cannot tahan attitude of sa at some of the AD and boutique.

I'm sure there are impulse buyers, whereby if presented with the chance to handle the watch they would buy. I have seen with my eyes how easy it was with my wifey when it comes to bags. Just a slight push from sa, she goes all weak and minutes later.... A new bag on her arm.

Offline kenji1903

• My travel blog :P
« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2014, 07:07:56 AM »
Can someone please send me a list of all the shops / ADs / boutiques which have unfriendly sales staff who refuse to take out watches so that you guys can try them on? Because these are the shops I truly prefer. The last thing I want is to buy a watch which others have molested with their probably unhygienic hands leaving all sort of scratches, DNAs and saliva.

Want respect? Feel insecure with the way people look at you when you are wearing only a Casio or Timex or in Bermudas? Just throw a bag (like the one Santa uses) of hard solid cash on the table the minute you walk in. That should solve the problem. Welcome to the real world.
bro... you make sense :thumbsup: