Author Topic: High end brand, low end service in KL  (Read 27713 times)

Offline @tsw@

• My precious
High end brand, low end service in KL
« on: January 07, 2014, 03:09:14 AM »
Wish to share some of the experience that I encountered during my search for watch last month.

At patek dealership in klcc- went there during a weekday, asked for pricing of several calatrava's and possible discount. Got an appalling answer and they did not even want to bring the watches out. Excuse is supervisor out for lunch and no keys to access the display shelves.

At patek dealership in pavilion- same day, drove over there, same shit. Service staff eye you from head to toe and when ask to 'see' watch, I was questioned back 'but you wanted the white gold, this is in yellow gold'. Amazing, malaysia boleh.

Whereas over in singapore, it was so bloody different. AD's over there gave good discounts on calatrava range and knows the references off their minds. At the boutique lagi bagus, they offer you a drink, sit you down and attempt to explain/ recommend the selections you have made. Did not buy but still given their 2013 catalogue.

Dropped by at the Lange boutique, super amazing experience. Staff is so well versed with their product and could feel their passion (which is severely lacking in our local AD's and boutiques). Ended up molesting a few pieces and could see for myself why people are saying Lange's are above Patek in terms of movement finishing. Was very tempted to buy but did not. I still believe in supporting our local economy.

To MWF members, what's you take on this matter with regards to high end brand with disheartening service in KL.

Offline kenji1903

• My travel blog :P
Re: High end brand, low end service in KL
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 04:52:48 AM »
i've been to Hour Glass at the Gardens and sound like the same crappy service you've received... they give you the "look you no up" feeling cos i was asking about PAMs :Scolding:
and the lady's eyes... kept looking at my wrist ???

Tag boutique at the Gardens gave better service... at least she explained something...

the shop i went to in Amsterdam was a whole different world... initially they got me a very old looking displayed Tag, i insisted on a newer one and they gave their branch a call and it was delivered to the shop in 20 mins! and during that time, despite wearing a Casio, the nice guy showed me almost everything from POs to Breitlings and IWC, even let me try them on!

Offline squasub

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 05:27:23 AM »
This kind of mentality can be found at almost all high end shops in malaysia sadly.. :-[

Offline RaymondT

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 05:38:26 AM »
I do hope there are some members related to these mentioned AD relay the messages back to their management to buck up on their services. I also encounter the same $h1t in an AD that sells rolex in Sunway Pyramid , if you're wearing nothing less than what you are asking to see they will give you a kind of look like we are wasting our time. I always end up buying from grey dealer , you will always get that personal touch of services from the senior staff or boss.

Offline dualcarb

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 06:48:46 AM »
Let them be...it's your money, and it is yours to spend. If the AD's have this type of low mentality, then let them be...I for one would just laugh it off and walk away...and spend it elsewhere and still get what I want.

However it is sad that most ppl in the retail industry in Malaysia is like that. They only think that the "nicely" dressed ones are rich. I know of so many people dressed very humbly but are millionaires. And there are just others that are dressed nicely from head to toe but don't even have $10,000 in their bank account.

The wealthiest person that I know wears a watch that is worth less than RM 2,000...but this person is worth over RM 100,000,000. So you can't really judge a person from how they dress...so to these "high and mighty" sales people in the ADs that look at their prospective clients with the eyes of the self important...I pity them.

DC

Offline swleong

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 07:35:14 AM »
so far I've not went to any PP and Lange boutique before, but the last time I went inside AP boutique in SH, the lady staff treated me super nice and let me molest the watch I eyeing on. Similar experience in IWC boutique in Pavilion, good service, played with many watches as well.

And I only wear t-shirt, short pant and sandals when I visited those boutiques.

I believed the trick is, know what models you are interested, and ask the sales agent straight away to let them know you've done your homework and you mean business to them.   

Offline kenji1903

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 07:39:29 AM »
I do hope there are some members related to these mentioned AD relay the messages back to their management to buck up on their services. I also encounter the same $h1t in an AD that sells rolex in Sunway Pyramid , if you're wearing nothing less than what you are asking to see they will give you a kind of look like we are wasting our time. I always end up buying from grey dealer , you will always get that personal touch of services from the senior staff or boss.
exactly!

by the way, if you don't mind, can you PM on your frequent grey dealer?

Offline davidtth

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 07:40:56 AM »
watever thing comes to Malaysia, it will turn bad, especially food chain, sad but truth...  :Mad:

Offline Calibr

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 09:32:47 AM »
Confirms some of the reasons in another thread on why some ADs' presence in KL is shrinking.. Had similar unpleasant experiences in KL as shared above. On the other hand, when I went into the Omega Boutique at Changi Airport, the sales staff was very friendly, took out some of the latest arrivals for me to try on too without me asking, including the 1957 Speedy. Didn't buy anything due to the high exchange rate, but was happily invited to drop by anytime I am passing through the airport.

What a difference a sales staff's attitude makes..

Offline ndtaan

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2014, 10:03:50 AM »
Same here in Penang at the Omega Boutique.
I tried to get my speedmaster for servicing,but they couldn't even give an estimated time frame.
To make matters worse,they are supposed to inform me on when their guys is coming to collect watches for servicing,which they did....one month later and guess what,they call me up at 9.30pm!!!!!! their shops closed at 10pm.
I live 30mins away!!!
They have the cheek to tell me that if I don't bring it in now,I'll have to wait for the next time when their guys is out again.
I swore it'll be my last Omega,period! 

Offline wshiong

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2014, 10:20:18 AM »
I went to AP Boutique at starhill with shorts, at first the guard look at me first, still decide want to let me in or not.. :HammerHead:

Later only open the door and the lady comes out and she keep looking at my wrist make me feel unconfortable. That time i was getting a strap from them.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 10:22:48 AM by wshiong »

Offline nye79

• Freshie
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2014, 10:46:50 AM »
fren of mine when to TH AD klcc with simple plain tshirt n toilet sandal.he asked to see 18k worth of watch..the sales person told "this is expensive watch..rm18k.."..very fast that guy concluded by looking at my fren outside look!

however,the guy suddently became a nice person after my fren purposely put his car key on the glass.."..ooo..u drive new beamer ka..?"..

Offline GTH

• Freshie
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2014, 11:47:48 AM »
Hmm. dunno why I go into a boutique in t-shirt and jeans, and not wearing a watch, I ask to see those Omegas, Longines etc then the sales person will take out for me to view, maybe its cheaper watch compared to what you guys want to see? Been to the boutique in Fahrenheit and that one at the entrance of Starhill (Hourglass i think). At Hourglass i ask any watch also the saleperson show me without a question. I normally purposely wear until cheap looking to try and see if the staff treat me as I look, and see how much bullshit they'll give on the history or story of a watch, and then i start correcting them and giving them a talk on movements, automatic, power reserve and such. So far the place i get to learn some things are at Khronos (Starhill), the sales person will explain the origins and design story of the watches they sell.

ndtaan: what Omega Penang did to u is so unfair, or maybe they have not been properly trained to handle customers. give them a piece of your mind and tell the Omega manager, for sure Omega Penang kena diao.

I guess you guys know about the Rolex store story in HongKong? A guy wearing singlet, shorts and sandals went and requested to take a look at some Rolexes and got told off by the sells staff. and then...
Each handmade watch is sold with part of the watchmakers soul. The effort to make the watch perfectly flawless like a gem, takes a lot of the watchmakers concentration. You pay for the "Loving attention" they give to each movement and watch.

Offline contender

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2014, 12:09:39 PM »
and then what ? finish your story la  :shocked1:

Offline kenji1903

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2014, 12:12:28 PM »
i was expecting like the guy bought the whole shop and start throwing Subs at the guy's face :Laughing_on_floor:

why the story like Hunger Games... hanging ;D

Offline watzisname

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2014, 12:28:31 PM »
And then he went back. The End.

Offline GTH

• Freshie
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2014, 01:11:58 PM »
haha I thought u guys know the story, expected someone to continue for me.

...and then he said "you think just because I dress like this I'm poor?"  :Scolding: . He went out, came in with 2 body guards  :police:. Asked again for the sales person to show him watches. He took 2, pass to his guards, and told them to smash it. So the guards dropped it on the floor and stomped it to smithereens  :Jumping: . Then the guards paid for each one they destroyed.  :Startled: And they left. The guy is a billionaire from Malaysia  :Laughing_on_floor:
The sales person i heard, kena taruh by boss la what else  :HammerHead:
now in HK they don't look down on people who dress shabbily anymore. or maybe
Each handmade watch is sold with part of the watchmakers soul. The effort to make the watch perfectly flawless like a gem, takes a lot of the watchmakers concentration. You pay for the "Loving attention" they give to each movement and watch.

Offline kenji1903

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2014, 01:17:45 PM »
and i thought only the Chinese like to smash stuff :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline GTH

• Freshie
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2014, 01:24:42 PM »
my bad, he was a Malaysian Chinese billionaire. hehehe. still smash stuff

Offline el118

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2014, 02:30:08 PM »
With the act of smashing the watches over this small issue, I have reservation for this "Billionaire". Too bad is from Malaysia.

Offline contender

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2014, 02:45:03 PM »
Sure or not the story ?? wow, alot of money to "smash" ada gaya man, Malaysia Boleh .... the sales guy would have to be sacked unless he is top sales.

Offline GTH

• Freshie
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2014, 02:47:32 PM »
billionaire wor, and his guards swipe card, not the boss. According to my HongKong friends, it even made the news, but this was quite some years ago la.
So moral is, anyone can dress like an ahpek but still be filthy freaking rich, be nice to everyone. lol

Offline sidestreaker

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2014, 03:34:46 PM »
. He took 2, pass to his guards, and told them to smash it. So the guards dropped it on the floor and stomped it to smithereens  :Jumping: . Then the guards paid for each one they destroyed.  :Startled: And they left. The guy is a billionaire from Malaysia 

Dumbest thing I've ever heard. If this is true, no matter how rude the shop assistant was, this guy is beneath him.

what a waste of good watches.

Offline TheWatchMan

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2014, 04:02:58 PM »
Very good discussion here. Let me join in... What discussed here are mostly true. The sales assistant always look at you one kind when you tried to enter the shop and look see look see. They will try to scan you watch for sure. I found local ADs are having that kind of mentality (you don't look like buying, you can't afford, you are wasting my time) but I do found the foreign ADs especially in Pavilion are rather more friendly and will service you. Boutique are much better and they get all the watches for me to molest. I usually only wear t-shirt, shorts, and sandals/slippers to browse thru my favourites. Also is good that you equip with some brand and movement knowledge and they know you mean something.

Also found some salesperson not as knowledgeable when asked for details. I guess you guys as watch lovers/aficionados know much more than them.

Offline @tsw@

• My precious
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2014, 04:13:18 PM »
Agree that khronos and ap boutique gives excellent service.  :thumbsup: