Visit Malaysia Watch Forum's online store for luxury watches and fine timepieces.

Author Topic: Grand Seiko SBGH001 (Hi Beat)  (Read 3453 times)

Offline tancho

Grand Seiko SBGH001 (Hi Beat)
« on: December 12, 2013, 08:12:39 AM »
Looking for a Grand Seiko SBGH001 (Hi Beat).  Pls PM

Thanks

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
Re: Grand Seiko SBGH001 (Hi Beat)
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 08:35:52 AM »
Very tough to find a pre-owned but Paradigm Mall outlet has both the SBGH001 & SBGH003.

Most GS for sale are the older series before the newer 72 hour PR models.
However the hi-beat is not 72 hr PR being a hi-beat obviously...

« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 08:39:27 AM by JOS2012 »
Personal taste and preferences evolve over years, hopefully not 1 full circle otherwise it means we haven't learnt a single thing.

Offline tancho

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 09:25:13 AM »
Hi Jos,

I was at Paradigm Mall yesterday and they had the Hi Beat.  Actually it was the second time I tried (molested) the piece, the first time was sometime last month.  My intention was to also try the SBGH051 for its size, but somehow in the company of the Hi Beat, the SBGH051 seems a little small (but still wearable).

Didn't pull the trigger on either before I try the preown market.  Fingers crossed.

By the way, there will be a Seiko exhibition at Paradigm Mall from 18th to 25th December organised by Thong Sia (in collaboration with the AD) featuring GS and other newer Seiko models like Astron.  Hope they put up the SBGE001 at the show, never seen that in metal before.

Rgds

« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 09:29:28 AM by tancho »

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 09:47:59 AM »
I'm not aware of a SBGH051. There are several SBGH special editions in terms of dial variations which are very exquisite but for whatever reason these are almost always smaller diameter cases (perhaps catering to JDM as Japanese wrists are generally smaller). 
For that reason I've been unable to acquire those special editions due to the smallish size although their dials are superb lookers and coupled to the superb hi-beat movt, means an absolute gem of a watch.

The SBGR051 OTOH is a regular automatic.
I'd strongly recommend the hi beat as there are only 2 hi-beat movements in serial production in the world the other being the El Primero launched sometime in 1969. For some reason I've yet to accept the jump in the chrono activation of the El Primero series.

Thanks for the update on the Seiko event. I was made aware of it also through another party..
Will try to drop to see if any new goodies.. Got an Astron in my Japan trip..my first quartz analogue since young days, for travel use.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 02:40:37 PM by JOS2012 »
Personal taste and preferences evolve over years, hopefully not 1 full circle otherwise it means we haven't learnt a single thing.

Offline tancho

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 10:35:03 AM »
Oh, my bad, it's actually the SBGR051 I meant instead of the SBGH051. 

Actually they did not have the SBGR051 at Paradigm, but the titanium variation instead. Can't recall the exact model number.  I was interested in the SBGR051 from pictures in the net (and the recent offerings in the preown section in the forum of its predecessor, the SBGR001).   

Although I did not actually tried the SBGR051, but its titanium variation instead, it was OK as I was interested to feel the 'wearability' of its size.  After trying, the size is fine for me. 

For now, I'll try my luck in the preown market first before going from there.

Rgds