Author Topic: Greetings everyone from a newbie here :)  (Read 3135 times)

Offline theseira

Greetings everyone from a newbie here :)
« on: December 07, 2013, 07:13:34 AM »
Good day gents

I got interested in watches since I started working back in 2007 and slowly started my collection. I love watches and like all you enthusiast out there hope to have a really nice collection someday. :thumbsup:

My favorite brands are Rolex, AP, VC, PP, JLC and Lange.

Regards
D

Offline el118

Re: Greetings everyone from a newbie here :)
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 07:36:17 AM »
Good day gents

I got interested in watches since I started working back in 2007 and slowly started my collection. I love watches and like all you enthusiast out there hope to have a really nice collection someday. :thumbsup:

My favorite brands are Rolex, AP, VC, PP, JLC and Lange.

Regards
D

Welcome on board. you sure have "expensive" taste. :D

Offline dennis.T

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 09:58:42 AM »
Welcome to MWF, do share with us your collection and story..

Offline theseira

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 11:55:43 AM »

I will share my journey. My humble collection only consist of 2 pieces. Here goes!
I started off with a Longines hydro conquest quarts. It was practical and looks all right and not expensive so I thought ok I'd get it.  I was happy with the purchase back then and it was the first watch that I purchased myself! Wore it for almost 3 years and got rid of it.
Down the track after reading articles and reviews on watches my interest on watches grew and I decided to get my first luxury piece. In 2010 I travelled to HK for pleasure and I noticed they had a lot of watch dealers over there. Rolex came to mind. But which one to get that was the question at the time. After thinking through I decided to get something that was released in 2007. Since 2007 was an important year to me because that was the time I graduated from university. Based on this I had included the Milgauss in the criteria. The GV version stood out the most for me and I decided ok this is the one for me. Wrist shot:

I was completely satisfied with my Milgauss. The piece is quite heavy and it sits well on my wrist. From time to time I would go read reviews about watches visit dealers to try on some pieces. I also developed an interested in an SS Daytona with the black dial. I was shopping around for it but most retailers are trying to sell it for 41k+ RM during that time which is a rip off. I waited for the Daytona hype to die.
Forward to 2013 SS Daytona’s seems to be instock all over the place but not in display. I visited a few dealers and they told telling me that “you have to be on the waiting list” or pay “retail premium” however I knew it is no such thing as retail premium. I politely declined to purchase and told them I can only afford to pay around the RM 35,000 mark for a brand new SS black dial Daytona.
Just before my birthday I took a trip down to Singapore to look for it. The first store Hour Glass at Taka the guy said yes they had stock but they only willing to sell for 16,500 SGD. I said ok what is the best price and the guy said ok the best he can do for me is 16,000 SGD. That includes GST. I am like hmmmmm still too expensive. I told him how about I think about it and let you know later. He said later it might get sold….. I was like yeah that is fine I can wait for new stock.
I then went along to the Rolex AD at Ion and ask the lady weather they had one in stock. She said yes. I said ok can I see it. She replied, Ok I will have to get it from the safe and so she went.
She brought out this beautiful black dial SS Daytona. Of course I thought surely this AD going charge more since it is located at ION. I then tried the watch on and had a glimpse of the engraved serial number at the rehaut. It was a random serial but the last 4 digits of the serial consisted of my birth date and month!!! I knew that I had to have that Daytona!! I didn’t tell the AD lady that of course. So I said hey the other dealer is offering me $16,000 can you give me a better deal? I took out my card and I was like how about $15,500 SGD lets not waste time. She said I will ask my manager. She went to back and spoke to the manager. And returned and said ok!! I was like YES!!! Because this works out to be a good price esp after claiming back the 7% GST.
I feel very fortunate to own my Daytona it is a really special piece in my collection. What are the chances to get a birth day and date as the four last numbers for a rolex piece!
Wrist shot here:

I will be adding another piece to my collection on my 30th bday. Until then I will have to be contented with my milgauss and Daytona. ?

Offline el118

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 01:03:16 PM »
U r lucky young man. Before 30 I was wearing "luxurious" tissot!

Offline theseira

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2013, 03:39:23 PM »
U r lucky young man. Before 30 I was wearing "luxurious" tissot!

Well I worked hard for it!

I like your AP by the way. It is such a beautiful piece.

Offline Kilofoxtrot

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2013, 04:02:54 PM »
Well done!  Now can only expect more to come.