Author Topic: A visit to the new Singapore AP Service Centre  (Read 8295 times)

Offline dpkong

A visit to the new Singapore AP Service Centre
« on: November 26, 2013, 08:53:37 AM »
Finally made the trip to Singapore to send off my Navy for adjustments. I had intended to come at the end of last week but an email from AP told me they were moving from River Valley Road to Kung Chong Road so I had to reschedule.

I have not been to the old place but have seen pictures taken by forum members. I feel the new place is somewhat less grand. Maybe its because they have just moved in and this was their first day of operations and more might be done to spice up the environment. Even the large screen on the wall was not operational yet. Let's see how it looks like in a month or so when I come back to collect the watch.

After handing over the watch and telling the lady about timekeeping issues and that the watch gained 5 minutes or more per week, I was shocked when she told me that it is normal. What? That's when I knew I was talking to the wrong person. Maybe she was new. Just then another customer came in with a 15400 with the same issue that Hanz had where a small piece of the clasp release came off. A nice gentleman named Thomas attended to him. Found out later he was the Regional Customer Service Manager. That's when I told the counter lady that I wanted to speak directly with Thomas as well. He came out 15 minutes or so later with the clasp repaired and I was thinking poor Hanz having to wait for weeks.

After the other gentleman left, Thomas and I talked about my watch issues and what they needed to do. He seems to aware of what is making the watch run fast and micro adjustments are needed on the balance wheel and winding mechanism. He assured me he would keep an eye on progress of repairs. He also said that it might be possible for me to collect the watch before Christmas so it looks like 4 weeks is the expected turnaround time.

Will update again when it is time to collect the watch and hopefully get some goodies to cover the time and expenses incurred. One interesting hint I heard was that Malaysia might get their own service center..
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 07:03:35 PM by dpkong »

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
Re: A visit to the new Singapore AP Service Centre
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 09:01:30 AM »
Cool info.  :thumbsup:
No pics ah?
At least show entrance kah?
Or is a camera off limits?
Later need to summarize the whole service experience.
I take after sales service very very seriously.
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline dpkong

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 07:18:24 PM »

Did not take many shots as that was practically it. I don't believe pictures were not allowed but I didn't get the chance to ask. Even from the outside of the building, there was no AP logo or signage. I think everything was still under construction and finishing touches have not been made. The smell of glue and paint was still fresh.

It was the clocks on the wall which assured me I was at the right place.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 05:55:18 PM by dpkong »

Offline dpkong

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 06:20:10 PM »
After 2 days, I received email today from Customer Service although they had said within 4-5 working days. Not bad. Hopefully, they're responding early because they're having a low workload ie. faster turnaround time. You can see what the Service Estimate looks like below. Obviously, some details have been edited out.

The cost for refinishing and a new crown/pushers add up to quite a small sum indeed! However, I am in some very encouraging private communication with the Regional Customer Service Manager and will reveal details in due time, when it's time to collect the watch.

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 06:50:17 PM »
seems reasonable considering what Rolex' charge for verification nowadays.

so would be delivered back to kuching? GST claimable?
Better outrun my gun....faster than my bullet

Offline dpkong

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 07:23:24 PM »
seems reasonable considering what Rolex' charge for verification nowadays.

so would be delivered back to kuching? GST claimable?

That's all in Singapore Dollars my friend...

And I did ask about shipping the watch back to me but the Service Manager said it was inadvisable as they are worried about it getting lost. They would allow a third party with authorisation to collect the watch though. Not sure about a GST refund but the amount is negligible anyway. I did see something that stirred my interest in Liat Towers and the GST for that is definitely refundable but only if leaving via Changi according to the sales lady. The only drawback seems to be the terrible MYR-SGD exchange rate.

Now looking at another trip, likely around New Year's holidays to pick up the watch when it is ready.

Overall, I can say this first experience with AP SC is extremely good as I got to speak with the very friendly and helpful Regional Customer Service Manager, and he displayed a good knowledge of the watch. Much better than the solemn service from Rolex SC at Menara Dion in KL.

Not going to count the chicks before they hatch but my initial disappointment with AP is gone and I am looking forward to adding a few more. Let's see how everything turns out first.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 07:25:34 PM by dpkong »

Offline Sunriver

• Freshie
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2013, 08:14:22 AM »
Not bad actually, considering the current Forex around 2.6

I sent my Rolex at Menara Dion for a service and cost me a shy less then 2 grand.

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2013, 08:49:33 AM »
That is cheap even in SGD.  Costs of owning an AP bro.
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline dpkong

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2013, 11:05:08 AM »
Movement service is free as the watch is under warranty. I wonder what it would cost when out of warranty.

Offline jan o

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2013, 12:12:30 PM »
I think it is very cheap, but was it good?
tried to get my zenith el primero repaired in Singapore and only for cleaning they try to charge 800 dollars. pointer and glas 2000 together.
went home without repairing.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2013, 04:52:36 PM »
I think it is very cheap, but was it good?
tried to get my zenith el primero repaired in Singapore and only for cleaning they try to charge 800 dollars. pointer and glas 2000 together.
went home without repairing.

No news yet from AP of a delivery date. Maybe it's time to send an email to enquire.

SGD2,000 for a movement overhaul, hands and crystal??  :o

Offline dpkong

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2014, 08:40:30 PM »

And finally, the ROO is back home. Picked it up 3 days ago from the AP boutique at Liat Towers. Actually, I got an email from the service centre that the watch was ready for collection just before Christmas but as they would be closed from 24/12 up till 2/1, they asked if it was alright for me to collect the watch from the boutique if I was coming over in that time period.

So after organising work, I eagerly made the trip to pick up the watch. Landed in Singapore and headed right to the boutique. I asked the sales assistant to help wind it up, check that the date was changing properly at 12 and set the time. He put on his gloves and took out the watch which was in a plastic bag and it was all wrapped in plastic. I inspected the polish work with a loupe and it was fantastic considering that there were quite a few deep scratches and one deep ding from my baby throwing a bunch of keys which hit the bezel. The rubber on the new crown and pushers feel really 'rubbery' and not as smooth as the worn down ones. I'll get used to it. Winding the watch is now very smooth and the pushers are soft but firm.

While the sales assistant was processing my payment, I checked and found that the 3rd year warranty was not dated and stamped. I asked him about that and he was not too clear on it and asked that I refer to the service centre instead. I had it done the next day at the service centre when they were open and they even gave me a nice brown leather box to put the watch in. Although the old calf leather strap was returned, the other replaced parts were not and I did not remember to ask about it.

Overall, I am very pleased with the service. They made everything right and the watch is now keeping good time although I must admit I've not really worn it other than in my friend's office for a few hours without removing the plastic protection. It looks like a new watch and I am paranoid about getting new scratches on it. Will take some time before it becomes daily wear again.

Now mounted on the new XS blue hornback. Good fit on my wrist at the 3rd last hole.

And of course, no boutique visit is complete without looking around and I think I've found my next target as I've always loved the white dial 15300. Did not remember to take a wrist shot and this one shows the size comparison to a 40mm Daytona. The 15450 is 37mm size but it feels the same as a 40mm Rolex. Perfect fit for my wrists and the bracelet feels 'softer' than the ones on the 15400. The picture is obviously blurred and I think it's due to my shaky hands. It was that enticing!

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2014, 08:12:21 AM »
Congrats Donald on getting back the like-new APROO Navy,

Now you know why I try my level best not to get any dent or scratch on a spanking new highly polished watch....

I inspected the polish work with a loupe and it was fantastic considering that there were quite a few deep scratches and one deep ding from my baby throwing a bunch of keys which hit the bezel. The rubber on the new crown and pushers feel really 'rubbery' and not as smooth as the worn down ones. I'll get used to it. Winding the watch is now very smooth and the pushers are soft but firm.
Overall, I am very pleased with the service. They made everything right and the watch is now keeping good time although I must admit I've not really worn it other than in my friend's office for a few hours without removing the plastic protection. It looks like a new watch and I am paranoid about getting new scratches on it. Will take some time before it becomes daily wear again.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 09:18:59 AM by JOS2012 »
Personal taste and preferences evolve over years, hopefully not 1 full circle otherwise it means we haven't learnt a single thing.

Offline dennis.T

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2014, 04:09:07 PM »
Congrats.. Didn't test drive Porsche or Aston Martin after AP service center? ;D

Offline dpkong

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2014, 05:58:02 PM »
Congrats.. Didn't test drive Porsche or Aston Martin after AP service center? ;D

Now why didn't I think about that??? Hahaha

Offline rockdaman

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2014, 09:05:28 AM »
hm...do u mind to share the reliability of ur ROO? how often do u wear ur ROO?

to me having it repair within 2 years is kind of unacceptable.