Author Topic: Would you have the all shiny and new or the original with battle scar?  (Read 9539 times)

Offline Godzillaz

Often time I find myself reaching for the oldtimer. As I always prefer the vintage charm but I wanna hear from you guys whether some one out there will prefer the new and updated model.

This will make a nice discussions I think. Why buy an old watch with a outdated movement?

For example

VS

Regard
Tyler
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 07:35:14 AM by Godzillaz »

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
Re: Would you have the all shiny and new or the original with battle scar?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 07:11:22 AM »
Most of the time I sell off old models to be replaced by the latest versions in terms of movt superiority (e.g. higher accuracy/silicium escapement), case/bracelet/bezel material (e.g.forged carbon/ceramic/titanium/DLC replacing steel), newer, provided it is nicer design (lumed bezel over non-lumed bezel), more refined design elements (beautifully blued over rhodium plated/white gold hands) or a low volume production model.
I sold off all my previous Omegas, the Speedmaster, SMP and PO (cal 3313) which is to be replaced with the incoming Dark Side of the Moon Speedmaster or maybe the latest 57 Speedmaster in titanium. 
I also loath getting dents and scratches on my watches and will almost always have the part repaired or replaced to new.
Some ppl keep dents n scratches as a part of their life's journey ... well to each his own..

Of coz there are rare sentimental exceptions such as 1st watch bought with 1st salary, watch bought for wedding, etc..
However very few of my early watches since schooldays have survived..
I'm not a sentimental person I guess...I dun buy antiques of any sort..
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 07:44:35 AM by JOS2012 »
Personal taste and preferences evolve over years, hopefully not 1 full circle otherwise it means we haven't learnt a single thing.

Offline jacky8888

• Global Moderator
  • More than meets the eye
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 07:23:41 AM »
A lot of people will buy vintage watches because of the patina lume.

I am one of them.

But movement wise. No. I wont buy vintage for their movement except for grand seiko chronometer which is non reproduction anymore.
Jacky Wong

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 07:29:23 AM »
Yes, am a vintage guy. The charm is just there.

I do still hope one day I'll get the caliber 321.
Outdated movement? Hmm, it went to moon and survived.

Offline jacky8888

• Global Moderator
  • More than meets the eye
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 07:32:38 AM »
Yes, am a vintage guy. The charm is just there.

I do still hope one day I'll get the caliber 321.
Outdated movement? Hmm, it went to moon and survived.

no doubt this is a nice watch...

but i would prefer the 3573.50 the Sapphire Sandwich.... (although the wordings at the caseback is wrong)
Jacky Wong

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 07:36:06 AM »
but i would prefer the 3573.50 the Sapphire Sandwich.... (although the wordings at the caseback is wrong)
In that case, then I prefer the 3572 with correct wordings  ;D

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 07:36:51 AM »
It all depends Tyler,
If the old vintages are still provided with support ie: servicing and parts availability, I would have no qualms going vintage.
But if the support has ceased even from the manufacturer themselves, where parts have to be sourced elsewhere then I would not touch it with a 10 foot pole.
I do understand the allure of the vintage look, but it would be a waste to spend all the moolah and end up with a delicate watch not worn most of the time while sitting in the safe and taken out once in awhile to admire.
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline pexus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 08:11:33 AM »
hmmmm....i am facing the this tussle right at this moment and I havent got the answer yet... :Laughing_on_floor:

Always loved the Rolex GMT..A nice 1675 with faded Pepsi colours and nice clean matte dial with gorgeous patina.  But the hunt for one is tiring (fun, but tiring).  Its a mine field, and the frustrating thing is many times, you can only rely on photos, one-liner replies from popular sellers and advice from friends. There's only a handful of reliable vintage dealers and you're not the only one hunting for a bargain vintage (if there's such thing as a bargain vintage..hehe).  An important rule in vintage is you pay to play.  If you are willing to pay, then there will always be reliable seller offering a beauty for sale.  If you're petty about owning the original dial, original hands, original box, papers, its all extra $$$$$.   

Personal level of tolerance is also an interesting and yet important factor.  Take the Rolex GMT for example.  Some owners are adamant about the bezel color, matching the series.  So a Sophia Loren with Pepsi bezel is a no-no, and a 16700 with a black bezel is questionable.  To some, it doesnt matter which series, as long as they have the bezel combo they want.  Some will detest luminova hands sweeping across tritium markers. To some, this mixture is acceptable, as it's a sign that the watch is a well-used.  Some will tell you to quickly pull the trigger the moment you see a reputable seller advertising a nice piece for sale, while others will tell you that  in buying a vintage, its better to be there to see with your own eyes.

And even after you get your dream piece, there's still that worry about support and parts replacement.  Experienced vintage owners been telling me there are plenty of parts world wide should you need one.  But again, do you have the time to source for one? And i heard there are plenty of fake parts floating around too). 

The irony is with the same price, instead of a 1675, you can probably get a full set, fully functional 16710 that can tell time in the dark and with an independent 24 hr hand.  One which RSC will gladly service.  And yes, a full set, drop dead gorgeous 1675 that will make every forum members in those famous vintage forums to bow down whenever you show your wrist shot is priced even above those modern ceramic GMTs.   

So have I decided? That's the trouble with vintage.  It has that charm and allure that's beyond logic and reasoning.  At times, I wished I never visited those vintage threads but I guess its a bit too late now. 

So in response to the original question by the TS....I dont know.... ;D
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 08:13:26 AM by pexus »
`Learning to appreciate my watch as a tool, and not some fancy branded jewelry'

Offline takashi78

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 10:18:14 AM »
Interesting topic, i have some views of my own.

Like Pexus said, i bought a good deal on a vintage piece, but when sent in for service, the cost of service almost equals the cost of the watch!
And the watch was not cheap as well.

For me Rolex brand you dont have to worry as parts are loads and "easy" to find. I mean service parts.

If you go into some big names like Patek or VC, well...how deep is your pocket? They can manufacture ANY part you wish from their own brand since the day they started biz.

But generally, i dont mind a vintage piece that shows its age and scars. Comes with the game i think.
If i like it enough and price is right i will still harp on it.

As for NOS vintage pieces? To me honestly people who buy those end up not wearing it also.
I am not in that camp.

I may wear it carefully, but i will still wear it.

Offline Godzillaz

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, 03:23:43 PM »
Seems to me there are a lot more vintage enthusiast than I expected to be.

What's the attraction? Just because of discolor dead lume?  ???

Regard
Tyler

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2013, 03:49:58 PM »

Regard
Tyler

I think it's the overall look.
Even some like vintage furnitures, vintage bicycles...
A trend maybe?
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline takashi78

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2013, 03:56:51 PM »
Not me, truth be told it does not matter to me at all.
People focus too much on the vintage lume cause influence too much by Rolex? Maybe.

For me 1- Looks, 2- Movement, 3- History of the model.
Oh and potential cost to service by the brand.

Regard
Tyler

Offline pexus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2013, 07:29:04 PM »

Regard
Tyler

I'll be the first to admit that I grow weak in the presence of a matte dial with nice, even, patina coloration....

Tyler, if I recall correctly, you have a tdial 16600? Would you trade it with a newer luminova piece of 16600 ?

cheers

Alex
`Learning to appreciate my watch as a tool, and not some fancy branded jewelry'

Offline Godzillaz

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2013, 08:12:51 AM »
No I wouldn't. Unless is a gift to my family member.

Then again that's only if the person receiving it needed a working Lume or not.

I figure if I want a watch with working lume I would buy a new watch. To me buying a vintage watch and refurbishing as new is a the same as buying a newly manufactured watch but with an old design.

I would rather wait until the watch manufacture introduce a tribute or skip the whole thing and look for different target altogether.

Regard
Tyler

Regard
Tyler

I'll be the first to admit that I grow weak in the presence of a matte dial with nice, even, patina coloration....

Tyler, if I recall correctly, you have a tdial 16600? Would you trade it with a newer luminova piece of 16600 ?

cheers

Alex

Offline 1to12

• Carpe Diem !!
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2013, 09:45:18 AM »
For me... I just love older stuffs. Especially if it comes with some personal affilition (heirloom, valued gifts etc), story, or history.

Maybe not everything old... some things just have to be new e.g. TV, air-con, dining table, sofas,  :Laughing_on_floor:

But for watches... I will pick vintage over new. It's the look and "aura" that captivates me.   

And also the relative scarcity... most people can always get new models but much older ones are not always available. Along this line, hopefully the value will rise faster over time too. But one can only hope.  :Praying:

I know the sifus have been warning about the higher cost of maintenance  :shocked1:..... I guess I havent been bitten yet and hence, am not shying away from vintages yet.  :P
"...But if you listen real close, you can hear them whisper their legacy to you. Go on, lean in. Listen, you hear it? - - Carpe - - hear it? - - Carpe, carpe diem, seize the day boys, make your lives extraordinary." - John Keating, Dead Poets Society

Offline ayidafiq

• Freshie
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2013, 10:40:04 PM »
i prefer the old watch because of the design. the vintage watch has more originality in its design compared to the new ones. just my opinion.

Offline ndtaan

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2013, 10:13:25 AM »

I'm just starting my journey with this one.
Been reading a lot about it.
But I just can't stand the scratches,I'm definitely sending it to the polisher.
Any Opinions ?

Offline ndtaan

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2013, 04:55:52 PM »

Any Opinions ?

Send it to the polisher.
almost two weeks now,still not back yet!! :Blue:

Offline nye79

• Freshie
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2013, 09:56:38 PM »
I m alwaz fasinating by vintage watch..being amazed by its durablity sailing through times!

Offline GlennTanChiaChiah

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2013, 05:43:27 PM »
Vintage watches to me have always been about aesthetics - different design cues that just appeal to me even more so than modern watches.

Offline superken182

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2013, 07:49:33 PM »

Any Opinions ?

Send it to the polisher.

Why took that long? Which part was sent to polish? Or do you overhaul and cleaning the inner caliber part as well?

Offline ndtaan

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2013, 09:57:02 PM »

Any Opinions ?

Send it to the polisher.

Why took that long? Which part was sent to polish? Or do you overhaul and cleaning the inner caliber part as well?

Sorry for late reply.
Got the watch back last week.
They did a good job.
No overhaul but they did clean up the dial.
But there are some stains in the dial which they can't get off.