Author Topic: Low ballers; What does it mean?  (Read 21186 times)

Offline ndtaan

Low ballers; What does it mean?
« on: October 31, 2013, 09:48:14 AM »
Hi all,

I'm sure this is one topic which is of interest to us all.
What does the term "low ballers or time waster" means?

When you put up a goods up for sale(especially pre owned),you must be prepared for all sorts of price proposals and prospective buyers will asked all kinds of questions.

Does the term"no low ballers or time wasters" means that you expect a buyer to immediately called up and says "ok let's meet and I'll pay you your asking price".And any buyers that does not fall into this category,please do not call.

Because a low baller to one might be just bargaining to the other.
And for the term,"time waster" I really don't know what it mean.
Does that mean after all the questions asked and I don't buy it,means I'm a "time waster"?

I hope that with everyone's comment,we would put to rest exactly what this offensive term means.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 09:58:16 AM by ndtaan »

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
Re: Low ballers; What does it mean?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 10:23:28 AM »
I guess the term "lowballer" refers to people that have no idea or have not done any due diligence on the market asking price and just tries his luck and shoot a low (and I mean really low) unrealistic offer.

Sometimes, a seller might priced his for sale items at above market value... but in the end, it's a buyers market.
When an item is left unsold at the sellers high listing price, then sooner or later he will understand that the asking price is just not what people are prepared to pay or even realistic in the market asking price.
When a thread says "offers welcomed", then be prepared to listen to all offers no matter how low.
The worse that can happen is to reply "no thanks" to the offer.

"Time wasters" refers to a person that have verbally agreed to a deal, price have been agreed on, and while awaiting payment, suddenly pulls out of the deal with some last minute concocted story? I dunno.
This is just my take on things.

I have sold and bought many watches and also other stuff online and I have came in contact with many many colourful characters...  ;D
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline toolkit21

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 10:34:23 AM »
My definition of "low ballers or time wasters" are people who wants to buy a 5-star item at pasar malam price.

But I believe any transaction will have an ounce of negotiation, some absurd, some within a fair range. There's no way to signal if a potential buyer is of either until they ask you the question, "cheaper some more lah". Then you'll know to reply or not.

I feel that for a buyer to be searching in a specific type of forum (MWF for instance), they know what they want.
So that leaves the public and common forums (lowyat for instance) to be infested with low ballers, probably due to a different set of demographics doing "window shopping".

In some way, it is also (a little bit) rude to portray yourself as someone who dislikes time waster should you not answer the buyer's reply. Inadvertently you got yourself an enemy just because your comment clearly stated that you will ignore these buyers.

I somewhat feel the term shouldn't be used at all...

Offline Empty Tree 8

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 11:04:48 AM »
My view is that low-balling is a relative term. E.g. if a seller prices his pre-owned ware close to new retail price, then to him, any offer coming  from an informed potential buyer is going to be low-balling. As a seller, everyone should be prepared to entertain any offer....after all, all it takes is just a simple "no, thanks" in a friendly manner.

My biggest peeve however is when inquirer don't agree with the selling price but refuses to state what price he is comfortable with.....I would prefer low-ballers any day compared to this. Its like walking into a restaurant and saying you are hungry but don't know what to eat and asking the chef to start serving you dishes until you see what you like.

For me, in the confines of a negotiation for a watch sale and purchase, "time wasters" are rarely a problem as sellers are expected to spend a reasonable  amount of time answering and explaining. If at the end, the deal don't go through, I won't consider it time wasting. But what I would consider as time wasting is when the deal don't go through on matters outside of the negotiation.....as an example, let me relate a recent incident.......inquiry came for watch posted on members' preowned section, questions came, answers given, some talk on price and......inquirer stated that he is comfortable buying only from brick and mortar shop...... :HammerHead: :HammerHead: :HammerHead:
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 01:58:22 PM by Empty Tree 8 »

Offline jetstrim

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 01:43:57 PM »
My view is that low-balling is a relative term. E.g. if a seller prices his pre-owned ware close to new retail price, then to him, any offer coming  from an informed potential buyer is going to be low-balling. As a seller, everyone should be prepared to entertain any offer....after all, all it takes is just a simple "no, thanks" in a friendly manner.

My biggest peeve however is when inquirer don't agree with the selling price but refuses to state what price he is comfortable with.....I would prefer low-ballers any day compared to this. Its like walking into a restaurant and saying you are hungry but don't know what to eat and asking the chef to start serving you dishes until you see what you like.

My,my....that is a classic when they say they want to buy from a shop after a 1000  emails/words had been exchanged.Some people do not value the seller's time and why waste time on the preowned forums then?

For me, in the confines of a negotiation for a watch sale and purchase, "time wasters" are rarely a problem as sellers are expected to spend a reasonable  amount of time answering and explaining. If at the end, the deal don't go through, I won't consider it time wasting. But what I would consider as time wasting is when the deal don't go through on matters outside of the negotiation.....as an example, let me relate a recent incident.......inquiry came for watch posted on members' preowned, questions came, answers given, some talk on price and......inquirer stated that he comfortable  in only buying from brick and mortar shop...... :HammerHead: :HammerHead: :HammerHead:

Offline el118

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 03:11:13 PM »
There is no hard and fast rule as to what constitute low ball. but you will know when you come to it.

I had experienced someone offer me to buy my old BMW for RM20,000 when i asked for RM45,000 which is the market price.

He shouted " i will pay you cash" that sounded like u were soooo desperate for their cash to buy your next meal..... that was insulting.

Offline nasa

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 03:21:13 PM »
Simple terms...Lets call it Watch A + Potential Buyer + Seller

- Watch A Market Price (New, after discount) RM 15k
 - Pre own market selling price  RM 9-10k (Bear in mind that the "opening price" is always higher @ least rm 11-12k!!)
 - Grey dealer offer price Rm 7-8k, mbe slightly lower if the seller doesn't really aware of the "value" of Watch A.

If the "Potential Buyer" suddenly come & offer rm 5k for Watch A then I think he is qualified to be called as "Low Ballers"..

Offline Calibr

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2013, 05:42:39 PM »
A seller would normally do some checking on the "market price" of his items. A low baller, in my view, is someone who offers 50% or less of the asking price. An interested buyer negotiating for a 5-15%% discount should be tolerated, and NOT classified as a low-baller. Seller can decline the offer and state his last, or best price to the offeror.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2013, 05:54:22 PM »

- Pre own market selling price  RM 9-10k (Bear in mind that the "opening price" is always higher @ least rm 11-12k!!)
 - Grey dealer offer price Rm 7-8k, mbe slightly lower if the seller doesn't really aware of the "value" of Watch A.

If the "Potential Buyer" suddenly come & offer rm 5k for Watch A then I think he is qualified to be called as "Low Ballers"..

By far the best definition for low-baller ie. making an offer that is even lower than selling it to a pre-owned shop.

Always interesting to see people who want to sell their items at or above market price but will only buy your items at or below the trade in value at dealers.

Offline ndtaan

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2013, 06:47:51 AM »

By far the best definition for low-baller ie. making an offer that is even lower than selling it to a pre-owned shop.

Always interesting to see people who want to sell their items at or above market price but will only buy your items at or below the trade in value at dealers.

I think from the above,the general consensus of a "low baller" is any buyer who offer a 40-50% of the sellers asking price.
Asking for 10-30% discount off the sellers price is the norm.

And "time wasters" are basically buyers who agrees on the price and backs out afterwards or have no intention to buy but rather asking for fun and won't proposed a price when asked for by the seller.

Offline Calibr

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2013, 02:46:50 PM »

And "time wasters" are basically buyers who agrees on the price and backs out afterwards or have no intention to buy but rather asking for fun and won't proposed a price when asked for by the seller.

The worst type of time wasters are those who agreed with the price on the phone or email with the seller, then on meeting up to complete the sale, they start to ask for more discounts, with another round of story-telling.. This puts a strong mental pressure on the seller, who may have taken alot of trouble to meet up, and may just give in. And of course, vice-versa, where seller ups the price!

There should be a sub-forum for members to warn others of such buyers and sellers if they encounter such experiences.. :Scolding: :Scolding: :Scolding: :Scolding: :Scolding:
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 02:48:22 PM by kt6608 »

Offline ndtaan

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2013, 03:20:18 PM »

The worst type of time wasters are those who agreed with the price on the phone or email with the seller, then on meeting up to complete the sale, they start to ask for more discounts, with another round of story-telling.. This puts a strong mental pressure on the seller, who may have taken alot of trouble to meet up, and may just give in. And of course, vice-versa, where seller ups the price!

There should be a sub-forum for members to warn others of such buyers and sellers if they encounter such experiences.. :Scolding: :Scolding: :Scolding: :Scolding: :Scolding:

Oh ya! for sure I've met one.
Damn piss off.
It's not that we couldn't give that extra little off,but it's the principle behind it.We agreed than we meet.
In that case of mine I told him to take a hike.I was packing my stuff back and than he said he'd change his mind,he agreed with my price!!!!!
I blew my top and gave him apiece of my mind and walked off.

Maybe I should thank him now,cos I still have that submariner and I ain't selling it this time. :thumbsup:

Offline Ian Fleming

• Freshie
  • "Don't Play The Fool" - The Late Sir Karpal Singh
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2013, 05:43:24 PM »
Ahhh...these terms are commonly seen in major classifieds.

Commonly meant don't expect to buy a Rolex / Panerai  at the price of a Seiko / Orient.

But the good thing I like here in MWF is....There aren't any low ballers here, which makes this forum AWESOME!!!

Offline ndtaan

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2013, 06:12:19 PM »

Commonly meant don't expect to buy a Rolex / Panerai  at the price of a Seiko / Orient.

But the good thing I like here in MWF is....There aren't any low ballers here, which makes this forum AWESOME!!!

I'm sure there are others here that would like to have a "go" at your comments.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2013, 07:41:20 PM »

Well, I guess since anyone can see and read the posts and get the phone contacts, not everyone who calls/SMS/Whatsapp a seller would be MWF members..

Offline kiamat

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2013, 10:30:13 AM »
negotiation is part of buying and selling.

i have come across people who bought watches from members or merchants and trying to sell the same watch at a higher price. so knowing these facts is it wrong to offer the seller a realistic price because after all the watch is one owner older now. no matter how careful the owner claims he is the fact is the watch have pass another hand.

you are selling a "pre-owned" watch so expect to bear the losses. why get offended? if you don't like what was being offered just smile and politely decline the offer.

for me, any brand new watch that exit from shop or seller claims having worn it just once for wrist sizing the watch is now a pre-owned and expect easily a 30% loss. unless your watch is so few in the pre-owned market and have a cult following. then your losses is lesser.

for instance, i find generally pre-owned panerai watches prices are higher in singapore and hong kong than malaysia. so it is not wrong if the buyer starts on wrong footing with the seller. just simply negotiate upwards.

i would like to add that low-ballers and time wasters are nothing compared to unethical or dishonest seller. seller not disclosing the true condition of the watch.

Offline RaymondT

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2013, 11:00:07 AM »

Well, I guess since anyone can see and read the posts and get the phone contacts, not everyone who calls/SMS/Whatsapp a seller would be MWF members..

Thats the reason why i never disclose my phone # or email online for any sales posting , only via PM. That way i can pick & choose my buyer , seniors with good track record will get the priority  :thumbsup:

Offline ndtaan

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2013, 12:32:13 PM »
kiamat,
i would like to add that low-ballers and time wasters are nothing compared to unethical or dishonest seller. seller not disclosing the true condition of the watch.

I agree absolutely with this statement :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 06:48:46 PM by chrisyen »

Offline vobs

• Freshie
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2014, 11:57:21 AM »
How bout those selling pasar malam item at pavilion price? What are they called? :Startled:

Offline mike

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2014, 04:03:36 PM »
How bout those selling pasar malam item at pavilion price? What are they called? :Startled:
Politicians

Offline JeepWH

• Tick...tick...tick....
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2014, 05:10:06 PM »
My take on low ballers are those who give you a ridiculously low price for your stuff. Of course, bargaining is accepted/ expected when you post a stuff for sale, but it has to be realistic.
Seiko fan.....

Offline Geneve

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2015, 06:52:11 AM »
LOL
Nice reply. :thumbsup:
Early morning open up forum and many old threads bumped by a 'Nice' comment. And this one is 'LOL' Bravo!

Offline Devilzzz44

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2015, 07:04:42 AM »
LOL
Nice reply.
Early morning open up forum and many old threads bumped by a 'Nice' comment. And this one is 'LOL' Bravo!
Bro..most probably he forgotten to read the subject...hahahaha....LOL!

Offline effendy131

• Freshie
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2015, 06:27:30 PM »

Yes, fully agree for the above.

Offline ikttan

• Freshie
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2015, 07:08:06 PM »
But I have seen a seller complaining on low ballets when the seller did not do his homework on market rate. I looked at the offers and they are 5-10% below market but like 30-40 % below sellers asking price. So ... Macam macam ada ...