Author Topic: Magrette Moana Pacific Professional (Rose Gold)  (Read 10157 times)

Offline toolkit21

Magrette Moana Pacific Professional (Rose Gold)
« on: October 23, 2013, 09:57:05 PM »
I would first like to say that I got bitten by the wristwatch bug only recently. Although, I've only been collecting the affordable and commonly sighted brands in malls and shops. I was browsing one day for a watch through Amazon and weird, new brand names came up. This led to trails of discovery (commonly called "links") and it moved on from Amazon and into the deep deep space of the internet. Before I know it I've got a Bookmark list of brands that I wish I had more money to buy them.

One of which poked my eye one fine evening of reading up forum sites. Magrette (pronounced Mah-Gre-Tee) had a range of watch called Moana Pacific Professional (rather long sounding name). Doing a little rummaging of 'Magrette watch review' on Google, I felt 'connected' to the watch design, motif, brand and idea from Mr Dion (founder of Magrette). I fancied the Regattare range but wasn't available (at least until June 2014) when my credit card was.

Which leads me to what we have here on review; a Moana Pacific Professional in rose gold (other being Black PVD and Stainless steel which is out of stock till December 2013). The product shots on their website, to me, is excellent. White background and in-your-face sharp-as-hell resolution. Quite the rare website styling for boutique watch brands around.

Much of its assembly features are similar to a lot of other 'dive watch' themes out there (Helium Escape Valve, 500M Water Resistance, 9015 Miyota movement, Super Luminova C3 lume, Sapphire crystal w/AR, limited edition run). I suppose they all have the same suppliers.

BUT somehow at USD630.00 (shipped to door), the package offered was well made, good value, reasonable  and affordable. So I took the chance and whipped out my card. Keyed in all digits online. Received an email from Dion (the man) the next morning that NZ Post will be collecting the watch. 6 days passed, and it landed on my door step in Subang Jaya in one piece.

Unboxing this watch wasn't "fireworks spectacular", it was more "hmmm….". Honestly, I like the packaging; simple, straightforward and very much an eco-styled concept. I paid for a watch, not a box. After tearing away at the plastic layers of protection, I had a hard time understanding the clicks of the deployment buckle. At least a good 5 minutes of fiddling. Finally, an 'A-Ha' moment and all is well.

Rose gold material is like subtle gold, not shiny bling gold. Which looks good and quite matching a watch this heft and size. Only wish the leather was cowboy brown than plain black (they have a black with red stitching and backing but its an additional cost). Felt this works better to the rose gold look and exclusivity (since only 500 for rose gold, but 750 each for black pvd and stainless steel).

Bezel and crown both turn and snatch into its locks very solidly. The Miyota 9015 'sweeps' smoothly and this is a great movement choice by Mr Dion.

I'm still puzzled as to why a sapphire crystal is 'double domed'. And an AR (Anti Reflective) coating which can still see my reflection very well. Sorry about this as I'm still new and only recently understood many of these watch features.

The dial is a little 'noisy' and 'busy' because the wordings '10min', '30min' and '35min' distract from the clean legible numerals. Without these, I think, makes the dial more elegant. The 'WR 500M' in red doesn't overpower the grey matte background. Nice position for the little 'find-me-if-you-can' description.

No chance to try on the leather strap yet. Want to soak in the already fitted rubber piece, with MAGRETTE branding on either sides. Deployment buckles are custom made and fits really cohesively with the watch, from either angle you look at it. May get a brown leather (with stitching) and keep these original straps from use.

I'm 6' and have a (almost) 6.5" wrist, so the 44mm case is between just nice and a bit large. Which I like very much. Couldn't hear much 'ticking' noise of the 9015, probably because its a 500M water resistance. My other 50M and 100M pieces can hear the 'tick tock' quite clearly.

Not to happy with the finishing on the bezel though. There is a circular stain that can't seem to be cleaned away, and am awaiting reply from Dion about this.

Overall the finishing of the polished lugs and brushed case is really good. And am really impressed with the purchase.

Just a little nitpicking left. Minor stuff, non-irritant.
Rubber straps doesn't have vanilla scent, so it 'smelled' inexpensive.
No tools in the package to change straps.
No option to change a brown leather instead of black leather.
Option of colored dial or design.

Well that's a wrap to my 1st ever review of a watch I purchased online without touching. Man it felt good. Gets itchier everyday. Thanks guys for reading this not professional opinion, just from a simple minded fellow.

Offline darrencw

Re: Magrette Moana Pacific Professional (Rose Gold)
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 10:23:47 PM »
hi bro,

very nice review ... i was thinking whether to get this as from Magrette ... but i haven't have the slightest idea about how the gold PVD looks like. i'll say this looks good. congrats  :thumbsup:

Offline toolkit21

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 10:49:55 PM »
I can tell you it looks awesome. Semi casual setting.
Not too much gold bling, the rose gold effect is just right for me. Its nice to look at, either from the top (face dial) or bottom (deployment buckle).
A brown/tan old style thick leather strap will look even better.

Offline darrencw

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 11:06:11 PM »
Welcome to the club  :thumbsup:

Offline watchmanu

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 11:09:08 PM »
watchManU

Offline watchmanu

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 11:11:01 PM »
hi bro,

very nice review ... i was thinking whether to get this as from Magrette ... but i haven't have the slightest idea about how the gold PVD looks like. i'll say this looks good. congrats  :thumbsup:

Me too, thinking of getting it during mid of this year when I browsed through their web page.
watchManU

Offline darrencw

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, 11:15:18 PM »
This is the closest real pic I have came across.

Not sure if its allowed:
http://www.ablogtowatch.com/review-magrette-moana-pacific-professional/

Offline toolkit21

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 07:20:54 AM »
The blog site was one of the reviews I came across before making the plunge. Not very detailed description but the close up pics make up for it. Have not tried out the leather strap yet.

Only issue is my bezel has smudge marks on it, especially 15, 30 and 45 numbers. No reply yet from Mr Dion....

Was really looking for the Bronze Regattare, but all sold out. Very nice piece.

Another excellent unit is the Magrette TIKI, its cheaper, similar movement but without the unidirectional bezel. Have a look...

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2013, 07:29:38 AM »
Nice review. Magrette gaining ground in Malaysia.

Offline toolkit21

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2013, 04:18:32 PM »
Magrette, though gaining ground, is quite small compared to other micro brands making their rounds in watchuseek.

Its just unfortunate that my multiple emails to them regarding the 'defect' hasn't been replied. Quite unexpected, from the seemingly 'good' reviews by their gwai-lou clientele.

Offline M8

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2014, 12:22:48 AM »
Searched some Magrette in google, very impressive, but lot of it's design looks copy Penerai :)

Offline JeepWH

• Tick...tick...tick....
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2014, 05:35:08 AM »
Yeah, some of its range looks like Panerai's, but on the whole its a nice watch. WR500, not bad. But dun think we ganna go to those depths right??  ;)

But hpe to get one one day.  :Praying:
Seiko fan.....

Offline Aero100

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2014, 10:02:23 AM »
such a nice watch, for tht money it is a steal!!

any dealer for this brand in malaysia?

Offline Laktos Kid

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2014, 12:39:43 PM »
got it from one of the members here i suppose ?  ;D
i love the combination of the case size, colours of the case and the red second hand is striking. However i do not have the funds to acquire the watch but congratulations on such a nice watch and enjoy it everyday !  :Cheers:

Offline toolkit21

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2014, 07:36:10 PM »

These are what you would call "micro brands" where they manufacture (more like assemble) the pieces in small quantities, have limited advertising budget, run an online store only, promote on forums (watchuseek, divewatchconnection, etc.), and generally an hommage (some say copy) to a vintage or popular model.

So, to answer your question, pop by http://www.magrette.com/

Offline Aero100

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2014, 08:17:09 PM »
ah i see.... thx for the info.

Offline whyeshen

• Freshie
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2014, 07:20:54 AM »

These are what you would call "micro brands" where they manufacture (more like assemble) the pieces in small quantities, have limited advertising budget, run an online store only, promote on forums (watchuseek, divewatchconnection, etc.), and generally an hommage (some say copy) to a vintage or popular model.

So, to answer your question, pop by http://www.magrette.com/

Hi bro, I'm new here and this is my first post!

Just a quick question. I have recently purchased online a Magrette MPP All Black and my friend in NZ is gonna bring it back for me. I opted for this instead of international shipping because of my concerns with the Malaysian Customs. I read and was told many times that any items above RM500 will be held by Customs and import duty of 15-20% imposed, which will make my purchase much more expensive. According to your post, your watch was shipped right to your doorstep with no problems and I assume it was not held up at the Malaysian Customs?

Thank you!

Regards,
Shen

Offline JeepWH

• Tick...tick...tick....
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2014, 08:02:08 AM »
AFAIK, watches are not taxable or dutiable items in Malaysia.
Seiko fan.....