Author Topic: Zaratsu polish from Grand Seiko  (Read 16425 times)

Offline davidtth

Zaratsu polish from Grand Seiko
« on: October 13, 2013, 09:28:32 AM »
the reason of why Grand Seiko watch are being so attractive, the polishing method was using Zaratsu way (Japanese ancient's Ninja Katana blade polishing), making the case so shine and mirror effect.

*pix sourced from net

With the new 44GS case, the most fascinated design from the watch is being polish and brush in many different angle makes it "light and shadow" feeling, the watch case reflect from every single environment around you where you can enjoy looking at your watch in different color and style !

I was once hear from a friend said GS metal case was forge with 13x from a raw metal, which is a lot harder and more resistance to scratch/dent compare to most of swiss watch which is lower, i have no proof on this but as far from my watch collection, i can feel the GS stainless steel watch case is somewhere similar to platinum case!

less talk, more pix, i'm not pro enough to capture the best, and in fact i wish i have a clean room to makes photograph as the small lil dust keep on sticking on the case no matter how many time i'd try to clean up with micro fiber  :-\

lastly, the lugs area from this GS, you could see different angle treat with different way of polishing, something that is not easily achieve without skillful artisan, the beauty of it is just .... speechless  ;D

*the black part is not black in color but reflection, interesting right ?

thanks for viewing  :Cheers:

« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 09:31:02 AM by davidtth »

Offline Spider boy

Re: Zaratsu polish from Grand Seiko
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 09:50:20 AM »
Impressive workmanship and detailing from Seiko and thank you very much for the details explanation on the Zaratsu polishing! =)

Offline sean

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 09:50:54 AM »
Nice photo, thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2013, 10:51:43 AM »
 :thumbsup: to david for initiating this topic..
I will try to add to it when I have time to take more pics.

Like David, I fully understand how tough it is to take a pic without any microscopic dust or particles no matter how hard you clean the highly polished surfaces.
Its all a matter of magnification. the higher it is, the more obvious the dust and even light swirl and scuff marks. However since we r not commerical photographers, we just do the best we can and post the pics ooc without any photoshop work.
Personal taste and preferences evolve over years, hopefully not 1 full circle otherwise it means we haven't learnt a single thing.

Offline el118

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2013, 11:59:33 AM »
Wow, more poison pouring in for GS, soon will eclipse OP... ;D

Offline RaymondT

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2013, 12:24:24 PM »
Such fine craftsmanship , the Japanese really put their heart n soul into making their product  :thumbsup:

Offline davidtth

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2013, 06:07:50 PM »
thanks guys :) please do add in Joseph, your product photo is much more detail and clearer  :thumbsup:

by far the best photograph from Seiko themselves  :Startled:

*copy right goes to the original photographer/Grand Seiko

Offline bryankwc

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2013, 09:36:46 PM »
Learn something new everytime I log on.
Any reason to appreciate the GS & add it to my "must-have-at-least-once-in-my-lifetime" list.  :Praying:
Thanks for sharing.
Take care, Ciao!  :thumbsup:
"My dream;
      Rolex by day &
               Patek by night." ;)

Offline takashi78

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2013, 10:17:05 PM »
The multi forged process was told to me specifically for the 44GS reissue and my 081 model.
Dont know if its the same for other models in GS range.

David i thought those dust can be artificially taken out in PS?

Offline davidtth

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2013, 07:01:27 AM »
The multi forged process was told to me specifically for the 44GS reissue and my 081 model.
Dont know if its the same for other models in GS range.

David i thought those dust can be artificially taken out in PS?

aint no time for "counter strike"  :Laughing_on_floor:

at least you should try it out Bryan  :thumbsup:

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2013, 03:55:15 PM »
Beautiful pic

Anyway - how other brand did the polishing? Different?

Looking at the guy holding the watch case and pushing it at polishing machine

It's no different from other watch cases being finish right?

I hv seen many brand hv mix brushed and polished mirror finish mix on their case

So what is so special about this?

Offline davidtth

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2013, 09:22:54 AM »
from GS website

Every surface of each case and bracelet is polished by the experienced craftsmen. The mirror finish on the case side surface has no distortion. The process is known as Zaratsu or blade polishing and is made by carefully applying a rotating tin plate against the case at a very precise angle. This process is entrusted to only the most skillful and experienced craftsmen.

watch polish process should be similar by going through the machine, the different is most of watch polishing are done by total machine only, means non-human handle the case while polish the case as you seen in the pix but automation polishing using an intelligent machine.

if you came by a video how Panerai watch being made, you can see the machine did all the polishing on the watch batch by batch, while Grand Seiko was polished by hand one by one carefully in every single angle from not many skillful craftsmen  :thumbsup:

i'm pretty sure the material being use on Zaratsu polish method are unique to achieve such top notch quality  :thumbsup:

Offline davidtth

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2013, 09:26:35 AM »
one more thing to add in, if you try to "molest" a GS with your hand, u hardly found any sharp edges around the watch, meaning the watch is total comfort feel where you won't feel any sharp corner on it  :)

Offline euclidorus

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2013, 10:01:54 AM »
David, those are great pics of the 081 case. You're correct that the SS GS case is heated and forged (repeatedly) and not machined (in CNC). Forging is a manufacturing process that gives SS a much higher strength (and the distortion free mirror finish) over normal SS but still not as high as Ti. A higher strength indicates ability to bear higher load before the point of failure. For scratch resistance, hardness (not strength) is the right measurement. Platinum is still softer than SS 316 but harder than gold, while grade 5 Ti is harder than SS316.

Forging of case is also done by the likes of Rolex, AP, VC and Patek - these are all revered names in the industry. Given now we now that the GS case is forged and the high level of manual finishing involved, I think the GS is definitely value for money at its pricepoint.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

Offline ndtaan

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2013, 04:21:50 PM »
Very good shot!!
Thanks for sharing,I always appreciate great works. :thumbsup:

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2013, 06:38:29 PM »
from GS website

Every surface of each case and bracelet is polished by the experienced craftsmen. The mirror finish on the case side surface has no distortion. The process is known as Zaratsu or blade polishing and is made by carefully applying a rotating tin plate against the case at a very precise angle. This process is entrusted to only the most skillful and experienced craftsmen.

watch polish process should be similar by going through the machine, the different is most of watch polishing are done by total machine only, means non-human handle the case while polish the case as you seen in the pix but automation polishing using an intelligent machine.

if you came by a video how Panerai watch being made, you can see the machine did all the polishing on the watch batch by batch, while Grand Seiko was polished by hand one by one carefully in every single angle from not many skillful craftsmen  :thumbsup:

i'm pretty sure the material being use on Zaratsu polish method are unique to achieve such top notch quality  :thumbsup:

Rolex video shown their case is hand polished

As far as I know, polished watch case, brushed case... Need hand!

Offline davidtth

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2013, 10:04:30 AM »
David, those are great pics of the 081 case. You're correct that the SS GS case is heated and forged (repeatedly) and not machined (in CNC). Forging is a manufacturing process that gives SS a much higher strength (and the distortion free mirror finish) over normal SS but still not as high as Ti. A higher strength indicates ability to bear higher load before the point of failure. For scratch resistance, hardness (not strength) is the right measurement. Platinum is still softer than SS 316 but harder than gold, while grade 5 Ti is harder than SS316.

Forging of case is also done by the likes of Rolex, AP, VC and Patek - these are all revered names in the industry. Given now we now that the GS case is forged and the high level of manual finishing involved, I think the GS is definitely value for money at its pricepoint.

great ! i just found out and read about the making of 44GS, with a story behind all the hard work to make this watch happen :)

ndtaan, thanks and glad u like it :)

chris, i'm sure rolex or even PAM does have certain model are being hand polish. well i'm not really expert on this, plus there aren't much info i could read about, but from my experience of having rolex, pam and GS, GS polishing is the best no doubt  ;D

Offline Godzillaz

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2013, 04:22:55 PM »
I second that. I think polishing a case is not really a hard skill. IF involve only one or two type of finish.

I suspect the difficulties in this particular GS lies in those tiny area around the lug. It is multiple finish on a small surface area. Not easy to reach consistency if not careful.

BTW I think Platinum is a lot harder to polish than Ti. Steel is easier. Gold is the easiest.   

Regard
Tyler

from GS website

Rolex video shown their case is hand polished

As far as I know, polished watch case, brushed case... Need hand!