Author Topic: Grand Seiko SBGC003 J Spring Drive GMT/Chronograph  (Read 22211 times)

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
Grand Seiko SBGC003 J Spring Drive GMT/Chronograph
« on: October 09, 2013, 09:16:41 PM »
Since I joined MWF  in 2012, I had never written any watch review to-date.
However when I acquired the Seiko Prospex Marinemaster Spring Drive tuna, I was so impressed by its finishing that I had to write a review.
When the SBGW047 next arrived, it also had the same effect on me and before long, I decided to do retrospective reviews on those watches already in my possession.

My target is to complete the reviews for the rest of my Grand Seikos before moving on to the other brands that I have e.g. Glashutte Original, JaegerLeCoultre and some individual pieces..

I acquired this GS SBGC003 watch sometime back perhaps pre-2010, I can't really remember.
Being my favourite daily working watch since, it is worn the most often so there are light scuff marks accumulated through the years of desk diving.

Accuracy is excellent. Although GS Spring Drive specs states +/-15 secs/month, its more like < +4 sec/month.
All my Spring Drives accuracy varies but I've yet to experience any variation greater than +5 sec/month. Googling will reveal the same experience by all SD owners.

Generally I hate getting my watches scratched or dented although I believe in wearing them all and not keeping them as safe queens. I'm generally very careful in handling them.

At this level of magnification, you will see the scuff marks even more obviously.
I should have taken these pictures when the watch was first new.

Tech Specs:
Drive system: Spring Drive Chronograph
Caliber: 9R86
Case: Stainless Steel Case
Case back: See-through Screw Case Back with Sapphire Crystal
Glass: High Definition Dual-curved Sapphire Crystal with Anti-Reflective Coating
Bracelet: Solid Stainless Steel
Buckle: Stainless steel with three-fold clasp with push button release
Water resistance: 10 bar
Magnetic resistance: 4800 A/m (60 gauss)
Weight: 187 g
Case thickness: 16.1 mm
Case diameter : 43.5 mm
Jewels: 50
Remarks: Screw crown
Current RRP: JPY 840,000 (with tax)
                    JPY 800,000 (without tax)

Overall view of the dial

The hour and minute hands are brushed in the centre and polished on either side (similar to the earlier SBGW047), chrono hour, minute & second hands are matt finished to differentiate them against the timekeeping hands, hour indices are diamond-cut with the top serrated to catch the light at various angles

The running second hands and power reserve indicators hands are polished. So there are 3 different finishing to separate the 3 functions

The lugs of the case are finished in 2 parts, 1 part finely brushed and the other highly polished to sparkle in the light

Due to the highly polished nature of the bezel, even light swirl & scuff marks show up obviously when magnified

Close-up of the finely finished lugs with drilled holes with a contrast of fine brushed & highly polished finish

Close up of the crown and chrono pusher buttons which are all screw down type

Close-up of the regular crown on most modern GS

Close up to show the very fine tolerance fitting of the bracelet to the case. Also note the fine brushed finish of the outer part contrasting with the sandwiched highly polished parts of the bracelet

Sapphire crystal see through back showing the 9R86A Spring Drive movement. Note the Grand Seiko stripes as well as the perlage and anglage done on the bridges, jewels are chamfered, hallmarks of a finely finished movement

The Grand Seiko stripe finish (distinctively different from the Swiss Geneva stripes) and rotor radial brush finish

Close up of the movement showing the chrono column wheel, Grand Seiko stripes, perlage and anglage of the bridges, chamfered jewels

Finally, an i-phone wrist shot taken earlier..

« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 08:01:14 AM by JOS2012 »
Personal taste and preferences evolve over years, hopefully not 1 full circle otherwise it means we haven't learnt a single thing.

Offline davidtth

Re: Grand Seiko SBGC003 Spring Drive GMT/Chronograph
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 07:26:08 AM »
a watch that poison me into GS....  :'(

Offline eltontan

Re: Grand Seiko SBGC003 J Spring Drive GMT/Chronograph
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 11:59:53 AM »
nice review..

to me a full complete watch features by GS.

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 10:51:31 PM »
after molesting ur watch.... seeing my boss wearing the white dial version everyday....

ur photo pops up here still caught my eyes....

i saw a gold index LE at Bangkok last week.... dare not ask for price... i knew once bargain... i might got trap...
run.................................

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2013, 09:58:01 AM »
The SBGC005 gold indexed model is *corrected... titanium except for gold hour indexes, hour & minute hands, brand logos. It costs JPY 997,500 compared to the regular white SBGC001 or my black dial SBGC003 costing JPY 840,000
The solid pink gold model SBGC004 will pop your eyes and ears too... its JPY 3,150,000  :Startled: :o
(no mistake and I didn't accidentally add a zero. :laugh:)

after molesting ur watch.... seeing my boss wearing the white dial version everyday....

i saw a gold index LE at Bangkok last week.... dare not ask for price... i knew once bargain... i might got trap...

thanks Elton..

David, I hope after being poisoned, no regrets..
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 09:42:35 AM by JOS2012 »
Personal taste and preferences evolve over years, hopefully not 1 full circle otherwise it means we haven't learnt a single thing.

Offline el118

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2013, 10:24:41 AM »
Very nice workmanship. just wondering why they use back the brand "Seiko" instead of coming out with another name for brand differentiation. like Lexus from Toyota. which i think will be easier and establish the premium watch status.

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2013, 10:51:16 AM »
This issue has been debated to death on all watch forums....

Allow me to offer my amateurish (meaning not academic nor research proven) opinion on things Japanese as I've been working for a Japanese MNC for 2 decades and have been to Japan numerous times. I hold the Japanese as well as the German psyche in the highest of esteem. Blasphemous or not as it may sound (frankly I couldn't be bothered 2 hoots), IF there is such a thing as re-incarnation, I'd like to come back in my next life as a German or Japanese.

An analogy is the Nissan GTO. Its performance is up there with the very best from Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini, Jaguar and dare I say even Aston Martin. The GTO engine is even manufactured in a clean room environment.

Although Nissan has a luxury brand Infinity, it is confined mostly to the luxury executive sedans/coupes. Nissan still sees it fit for the GTO to be marketed under Nissan rather than Infinity although Infinity is seen in a more positive light in markets like Australia,U.S.  just like Acura over Honda and Lexus over Toyota in those markets. Even the NSX supercar is still marketed under Honda and not Acura but those in the know are aware of how excellent the NSX is.

IMHO it is the lack of exposure or even broad knowledge in those inward looking markets that they have no idea about the depth and breadth of these Japanese brands. We all know about a fair bit of some Americans or Europeans that have not even stepped outside their country or even their own county who live in their own little world believing it to be heaven on earth and all things American, European or whichever country they are from, to be the best in the world (rather 'their world') and heaven forbid, any product from a country they are ignorant of esp. Asian to be of any quality.

The Lexus, Infiniti and Acura brands were created to overcome Western bias but in Japanese eyes a Toyota or Lexus is still a Toyota, a Grand Seiko is a Seiko but a more luxurious model.

Up to recently 2010, the GS was only marketed in Japan (and Taiwan) as their production volume is so low that they have just enough volume to fulfill the Japanese domestic market. Another reason is that it is common knowledge that the Japanese demand for ultimate quality is higher than most other markets. They reserve their best models and products for their own domestic market. As such Seiko did not see the need to create a separate luxury brand as the Japanese know of GS reputation. That is why the high end and astute Italian, Swiss, German, French and other western manufacturers bend over backwards to produce special editions for only Japanese market.

As Grand Seiko has only started to open ADs outside Japan starting 2010, they MAY have to follow the likes of Infinity, Acura, Lexus branding patterns or NOT. It all depends on the psyche of the current President, the great grandson of the founder.

Taking things a little further, why is it Nikon, Canon, etc has no problem of selling cameras costing from RM 200 compacts to RM 30,000 high end dslrs under the same brand? The same world market accepts it even those U.S. markets.

Another analogy, why is it that VW that started off with the 'people's car' the cheapest car built for the masses, is currently accepted for its excellent quality for assembly standards & fittings in most countries, never mind the non acceptance of the Phaeton hand built car over a Porsche in the U.S. even though the Phaeton performance and quality was superb. The U.S. again ?

Again in my own simplistic mind, its perception and to my simplistic solution, 2 ways to overcome it.

Rebrand or change the perception. Maybe Seiko thinks the 2nd way is better OR whatever production they can churn out currently sells well enough with or without these ignorant 'markets'.

In case some think that Credor is a rebranding, its not. Its a different line like Seiko 5, Brightz, Phoenix, Ananta, Galante.

[/quote]
Very nice workmanship. just wondering why they use back the brand "Seiko" instead of coming out with another name for brand differentiation. like Lexus from Toyota. which i think will be easier and establish the premium watch status.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 08:56:03 PM by JOS2012 »

Offline el118

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2013, 01:00:44 PM »
Well said bro. i too salute the crave for perfection spirit of the Japs from my dealings with them. there is no right or wrong to the strategy. just that from branding point of view, it will be more difficult to change the perception of people on the brand, especially they still carry on with sub-RM1,000 price point of the mass market models.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2013, 05:54:03 PM »
It's amazing how you can wear a watch over a period of over 2 years and it looks practically pristine!

Does the screwed down crown line up exactly as in the picture or did you adjust it for the picture?

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2013, 08:47:04 PM »
Well, I am quite careful with my watches and since I'm a paper pusher the chances of knocking it is less.
So far none of my watches have gotten any dents and scratches (apart from scuff marks which you get even from wiping the watch over time or when your watch brushes against table tops, etc) except 1 watch which was such a stupid mistake on my part that I was cursing myself for weeks. Luckily that watch is not amongst my top 10 favourites.

The crown was unscrewed out to stop the second hands for the picture, if that's what you meant by your 2nd line.

It's amazing how you can wear a watch over a period of over 2 years and it looks practically pristine!

Does the screwed down crown line up exactly as in the picture or did you adjust it for the picture?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 08:51:01 PM by JOS2012 »

Offline euclidorus

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2013, 09:52:50 PM »

This the one - SBGC005. RRP RM33k if I remember well. This is a Ti piece.

The SBGC005 gold indexed model is * corrected...titanium and has gold hour indexes, hour & minute hands, brand logos. It costs JPY 997,500 compared to the regular white SBGC001 or my black dial SBGC003 costing JPY 840,000
The solid pink gold model SBGC004 will pop your eyes and ears too... its JPY 3,150,000  :Startled: :o

thanks Elton..

« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 09:45:16 AM by JOS2012 »
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2013, 10:32:26 PM »
oops, you're right Euclid, SBGC005 is a titanium model with the gold highlights.
I saw it at Wako. I had preferred the gold highlights to be just Seiko, GS and Grand Seiko similar to my SBGA031.
At the end I bought the stainless steel black dial SBGC003.

There was this 1 time a member posted that he has this model but unfortunately he is not very active...
found the link...

http://www.malaysiawatchforum.com/index.php/topic,8002.msg82527.html#msg82527

The SBGC005 gold indexed model is *corrected....titanium with gold hour indexes, hour & minute hands, brand logos. It costs JPY 997,500 compared to the regular white SBGC001 or my black dial SBGC003 costing JPY 840,000

thanks Elton..

« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 09:47:18 AM by JOS2012 »

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2013, 05:56:49 AM »
 :Dancing_banana: :Dancing_banana: :Dancing_banana:

oops, you're right Euclid, SBGC005 is a titanium model with the gold highlights.
I saw it at Wako. I preferred the gold highlights to be limited to Seiko, GS and Grand Seiko similar to my SBGA031.

There was this 1 time a member posted that he has this model but unfortunately he is not very active...
found the link...

The SBGC005 gold indexed model is *corrected...titanium with gold hour indexes, hour & minute hands, brand logos. It costs JPY 997,500 compared to the regular white SBGC001 or my black dial SBGC003 costing JPY 840,000

thanks Elton..

« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 09:49:17 AM by JOS2012 »

Offline ndtaan

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2013, 07:04:17 AM »
I dig out my back issues of watch to do a bit of research on the GS after reading your review.
I really am amazed at the write up on this range of Seiko watches.
Thanks for opening up my eyes on this.
Have a nice day :thumbsup:

Offline Yikkie

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2013, 08:04:56 AM »
JOS2012...you are the man!  That was a fantastic piece of writing and a great insight into why GS is still branded under Seiko.  I always thought it will be better if they could drop the Seiko logo on the dial and use the GS logo on its own...something like the special edition on your other thread.  :Cheers:

Offline Enkidu

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2013, 08:26:15 AM »

This one caught my attention when I was visiting the Seiko boutique some months ago. But with a price tag of more than HK$ 80,000 even after the usual discounts I'll have to wait and save up before I venture into its territory.... :laugh:

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2013, 05:38:48 PM »
AFAIK, to-date I've only personally know of 4 owners of this model, whether white, black or gold accented dials and the solid pink gold.

I have the black dial SBGC003, Chris' boss the white dial SBGC001, Dr Bernard Cheong the solid gold SBGC004, the other mwf member 'not1isbad' nick the gold accent SBGC005 based on his posting in MWF.

Not bad eh.. Each of us has a different model.
Another 2 MWF members have indicated they are keen to get this as well but unsure of which variant yet.
So let's see which variants will be the most popular eventually.

This one caught my attention when I was visiting the Seiko boutique some months ago. But with a price tag of more than HK$ 80,000 even after the usual discounts I'll have to wait and save up before I venture into its territory.... :laugh:
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 07:38:15 PM by JOS2012 »

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2013, 07:44:27 PM »
Thank you but what I wrote is merely accumulated from what I read from uncle google as well as various watch publications. ;)

JOS2012...you are the man!  That was a fantastic piece of writing and a great insight into why GS is still branded under Seiko.  I always thought it will be better if they could drop the Seiko logo on the dial and use the GS logo on its own...something like the special edition on your other thread.  :Cheers:

You're most welcome. That's what forums are for, to share knowledge amongst fellow enthusiasts.
I'm sure there will be an occasion where I will be most grateful to another forummer in opening up my eyes on a brand that he knows intimately..

I dig out my back issues of watch to do a bit of research on the GS after reading your review.
I really am amazed at the write up on this range of Seiko watches.
Thanks for opening up my eyes on this.
Have a nice day :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 07:46:13 PM by JOS2012 »

Offline Chipi

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2014, 12:50:04 AM »
Lovely watch ... and excellent photography.
Thank you for sharing.

Offline no1isbad

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2014, 04:45:29 PM »
hi, that's me, i own the SBCG005, sorry as i'm not so active in the forum
do PM me if you guys meet up

I saw it at Wako. I preferred the gold highlights limited to Seiko, GS and Grand Seiko similar to my SBGA031.

found the link...

The SBGC005 gold indexed model is * corrected...titanium with gold hour indexes, hour & minute hands, brand logos. It costs JPY 997,500 compared to the regular white SBGC001 or my black dial SBGC003 costing JPY 840,000

thanks Elton..

« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 09:51:12 AM by JOS2012 »
Perpetual T-01 Carrousel Tourbillon - Seagull ST8001
Grand Seiko Chronograph Titanium SBGC005 - 9R86

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2014, 08:13:50 AM »
oh... another hidden dragon!

hi, that's me, i own the SBCG005, sorry as i'm not so active in the forum
do PM me if you guys meet up

I saw it at Wako. I preferred the gold highlights limited to Seiko, GS and Grand Seiko similar to my SBGA031.

found the link...

The SBGC005 gold indexed model is *corrected...titanium with gold hour indexes, hour & minute hands, brand logos. It costs JPY 997,500 compared to the regular white SBGC001 or my black dial SBGC003 costing JPY 840,000

thanks Elton..

« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 09:52:53 AM by JOS2012 »

Offline no1isbad

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2014, 04:13:09 PM »
i thought i'm the only one with titanium version, but i realize there is a member "sean" also having the same version
i must say the build quality of the watch is very good, may be it's even better than a new rolex sub (i mean quality)
but when i went gathering with a group of ppl, well, we know 90% of them have rolex on the hand, and none will appreciate GS, sigh...

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2014, 09:28:38 PM »
U went to the wrong gathering…  ;)
There are gatherings by MWF where your GS will be appreciated.. :thumbsup:
Sean is one of them and I'm another….there are several others… you are not alone... ;D

But does it really bother you that others don't appreciate your GS? ::)
Why do you let other people's opinion affect you, not unless their opinion matters to you….

i thought i'm the only one with titanium version, but i realize there is a member "sean" also having the same version
i must say the build quality of the watch is very good, may be it's even better than a new rolex sub (i mean quality)
but when i went gathering with a group of ppl, well, we know 90% of them have rolex on the hand, and none will appreciate GS, sigh...
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 09:41:16 PM by JOS2012 »

Offline no1isbad

« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2014, 08:43:35 AM »
ya, probably i have NEVER join GS gathering before, as there r just too little ppl aware of GS
there are no kaki for me to talk or boost about my nice watch, haha!

mind u, owning GS is very addictive. usually GS owner will have 2nd or 3rd GS soon after they had the 1st GS

Offline davidtth

« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2014, 11:09:40 AM »
mind u, owning GS is very addictive. usually GS owner will have 2nd or 3rd GS soon after they had the 1st GS

ditto  :angel: