Author Topic: How to excite or encourage more contribution posting to MWF  (Read 9563 times)

Offline Yoda

How to excite or encourage more contribution posting to MWF
« on: September 26, 2013, 11:45:17 AM »
Hi members

I am really out of topic now for me to think of what to post. This has caused me to put up this extraordinary topic. If MOD consider not appropriate please take it down

My intention to put up this topic is to get feedback from the members about the postings, and how to encourage more interesting postings for the members education, knowledge or even fun.

I have noticed other forum with full of active participation and interesting topics. So why am I promoting the same here? Its because I think "Malaysian" we can do better.  :Dancing_banana:

Hence getting more members and to be closer too. One of the way to achieve 1Malaysia.

Hence I tell myself why not members out there contribute some ideas on how to make the forum exciting afterall is about news, information and knowledge on watches contributed by members for members. Hope the MODs does not consider me "Keh Poh" (literally busy body)

If that is possible let me roll the ball:-

1) By encouraging members to put up "quality posting" they will earn points in posting. With the accumulated posting they could get some recognition which what is being carried out now. Perhaps this can extend it to giving discount vouchers for watches contributed by certain AD.

2) If the reward in financial sale discount is not the driving factor perhaps recognition of certain role in the forum after reaching certain posting.

3) The MWF gtg is one of the great driving factor though.

4) Posting of pictures get additional posting point

Well so much that I can think of now. What do you all think?

cheers
 :Cheers: 

"Train Yourself To Let Go Of Everything you Fear To Lose"

"The Fear Of Loss Is A Path To The Dark Side"

Yoda

Offline latuktua

• Freshie
Re: How to excite or encourage more contribution posting to MWF
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 12:10:21 PM »
Well,the only reason for me not to post more bcos my english was not so good :Blue:

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 12:14:32 PM »
Interesting suggestions.
While the forum always encourages active participation, forum interaction is a 2 way process.
"Quality posting" is very subjective and difficult to measure.
Even more difficult is enforcing a reward system for "quality posting"
As most of us here were once newbies, we shared info, write reviews, report events, answered questions (were one asking questions as well even now) with no thought about rewards or whatnot.

Some make friends in this forum, some may not roll along... but that's the nature of the forum.
If having a reward system as a mean of increasing "quality posts", then the intention of the poster is not of contributing freely but is actually hoping for something in return.
If the forum owners were to ask a registration fee for every member for the costs of running this forum, would that be feasible?
I guess not.

I have noticed that many members are mostly lurkers.
They seldom post but the read whatever threads that interests them, it ok.
Participation have to be done in a voluntary basis and for the common love for Horology.
No one can force anyone to type long winded replies when they don't want to and no one can stop anyone from posting simple one worded posts.

As much as I would like to see MWF flourish from strength to strength, baby steps is the way to achieve it at this moment.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 12:17:11 PM by hanz079 »
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 12:15:42 PM »
Well,the only reason for me not to post more bcos my english was not so good :Blue:

Tak apa bro... ini Malaysia Watch Forum... Bahasa Melayu pun kami semua faham... hehehe
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

Offline Yoda

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 12:19:38 PM »

Brother

Don't be like that lah  :Blue:

Wah punya England also not good ma. Just hentam saja la. In Malaysia ma

The late Tan Sri Lim Got Thong does not speak good English, all his lieutenant converse in Hokkien in the Board meeting that's what I understand. Yet he is a well respected person. Its not the outside its your inside that matters

Yoda

Offline pexus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 12:21:36 PM »
Interesting post, Yoda. Any form of suggestions to improve MWF is always appreciated. 

A reward system is useful but it takes a lot of effort. 

For example, who will provide the reward? MWF uses a subtle but commonly used reward system- post more and you're given specific titles - Hero member, etc, etc.  Sounds cheesy but its free and simple.

Quality postings are always encouraged.  However, this being an open forum, you'll have simple one liners, and the occasional senseless ramblings.  But perhaps that's what a quality post is all about.  A post that's different from the rest.  My take is that we should allow the `lesser-quality' postings as they will indirectly make a quality writeup even more admirable.  And at the end of the day, like Hanz said, its also very difficult to decide what makes a quality posting. 

« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 12:24:47 PM by pexus »
`Learning to appreciate my watch as a tool, and not some fancy branded jewelry'

Offline Yoda

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2013, 12:23:13 PM »
Interesting suggestions.
While the forum always encourages active participation, forum interaction is a 2 way process.
"Quality posting" is very subjective and difficult to measure.
Even more difficult is enforcing a reward system for "quality posting"
As most of us here were once newbies, we shared info, write reviews, report events, answered questions (were one asking questions as well even now) with no thought about rewards or whatnot.

Some make friends in this forum, some may not roll along... but that's the nature of the forum.
If having a reward system as a mean of increasing "quality posts", then the intention of the poster is not of contributing freely but is actually hoping for something in return.
If the forum owners were to ask a registration fee for every member for the costs of running this forum, would that be feasible?
I guess not.

I have noticed that many members are mostly lurkers.
They seldom post but the read whatever threads that interests them, it ok.
Participation have to be done in a voluntary basis and for the common love for Horology.
No one can force anyone to type long winded replies when they don't want to and no one can stop anyone from posting simple one worded posts.

As much as I would like to see MWF flourish from strength to strength, baby steps is the way to achieve it at this moment.

Brother

Don't get me wrong I am here to suggest and promote not to "Gostan" .

Yoda

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, 12:58:43 PM »

Brother

Don't get me wrong I am here to suggest and promote not to "Gostan" .

It's ok bro. My reply meant no harm.
Your suggestions is noted and much appreciated.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2013, 05:43:38 PM »
To me, I think the traffic on this forum is good. Not too busy. It's better to have a few good discussions than lots of rambling and repetitive questions like other forums.

Don't forget also that this is Malaysia Watch Forum and sadly, some (or most?) members come here to take and not to give/share ie. the general Malaysian way. Some are lurkers who just want to look and read while some more just join and post to get the required post count to sell their wares and vanish.

Another possibility is that on other "active" forums, I believe a lot of contributors are either early or semi-retired folks who have time on their hands and/or a serious love of horology like JOS2012 and takashi78 (no, they're not retired old folks).

Offline takashi78

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2013, 07:05:39 PM »
LOL thats cause in my job i sit in front of a laptop 90% of the time.
Hence when i wanna take my mind off work i login for a while.

The sad situation is and allow me to be blunt, most will suddenly "contribute" when they need the post count and wanna sell something.
Hence you see some with 25/26 post counts and after posting their FS thread?
No more posting, or just continue to "sell".

So with the utmost respect, to the OP since you started the thread.

How often do YOU post or start meaningful, "quality" threads that "encourage" participation?

What not YOU start the ball rolling and when more and more do, MORE will follow.

End of the day it has to start somewhere.

I see you have a very nice collection, maybe initiate a GTG other than the regulars?
When new friendship is made more will post.

Good example of lurkers is our 5th Anniv Project watch.
Suddenly you see people signing up and FIRST post just to join in on the project.

We have many watch lovers here, its getting them to post is the challenge.

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2013, 08:50:13 PM »
Been thinking of this as well... Change is in the process, this process never end...

We hv accessories review section lately... I hv something to post here... Just bit busy lately...

Lots more to come....

Was thinking of regular GTG
Was thinking of physical 'home' of Mwf
Was thinking of prices for posting competition
Was thinking of more 'theme' GTG
Was thinking of other language - Malay n Chinese n Tamil
Was thinking of more projects beside watches

Offline el118

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2013, 08:55:15 PM »
Been thinking of this as well... Change is in the process, this process never end...

We hv accessories review section lately... I hv something to post here... Just bit busy lately...

Lots more to come....

Was thinking of regular GTG
Was thinking of physical 'home' of Mwf
Was thinking of prices for posting competition
Was thinking of more 'theme' GTG
Was thinking of other language - Malay n Chinese n Tamil
Was thinking of more projects beside watches

Regular GTG may be a good idea.

Can work out "Group buy" and get better discounts from ADs...

Offline dpkong

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2013, 10:02:06 PM »
Group buy and better discounts seem to be a very Malaysian thing. Hopefully, that's not what members are here for, otherwise we should rename ourselves to Malaysia Watch "Group Buy" Forum..  :Laughing_on_floor:

And talking about GTG.... I'm just about to give up starting another one. And the KK one hasn't happened either. Looks like I may need to fly over for a nice, short vacation for seafood and beers real soon. But then two or three fellas having a beer is hardly a GTG.

Other than this watch forum, I have some experience with another local enthusiast forum and I can tell you that most members show up only if there is money to be made or something in it for them. Don't count on them otherwise.

From talking to my local grey dealers, I know that there are many watch collectors out there. Pieces upwards of RM100k+ are easily sold but doubt that they join forums or want to discuss their collections.

Like the old Red Indian saying goes, "you can lead horse to water, but you cannot make it drink"

/rant on

We're all busy people. I know takashi78, chrisyen, jos2012, enkidu and many others are also really busy people but they make time to share. Not everyone does and that's what makes Malaysia a really sad place actually.

/rant off

Offline Kennypane

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2013, 10:28:18 PM »
Post a controversial topic you would sure get a lot of traffic and responses but then that would be called rude and impolite. Sometimes at forums, courtesy and politeness get in the way of real exchange of opinions and reasoning. Also if I may share, sometimes it's difficult to respond to posting such as should I buy this or should I buy that kind of question. IMO it's always about do your homework and buy the one u like. I enjoyed the last posting about Panerai. I have nothing against that brand just that, that topic alone brought out the fun, free exchange of opinions which to me, is what excitement to encourage contribution can be. What is quality of posting? If someone were to do a review on their watches, try not to lay out the specs cos we all are rather knowledgeable what specs certain watches are produced with. Try to share more on personal views as that will be more enjoyable to read. Whatever anger, sarcasm posted, all must be willing to forgive forget and ensure members get along. Just my blunt straightforward opinion here. Happy forum-ming.

Offline Yoda

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2013, 07:02:27 AM »
Dear gentlemen

I learned this word "quality post" from the MOD, this is the quote from a MOD

"Quality post is when you are involved in discussion like the rest and not post 1 pic per reply to boost your post count.

The rules of the forum is very clear and is posted.

One should read it before posting as is the responsibility of all.

Your reply to me in detail qualifies as "quality post"

Forum mods"

The MOD could not give me a precise definition of quality post which I asked and the above is the answer. I guess so long as the post could bring new knowledge and educational to one is define as "quality post"

Just think out of the box, gentlemen, if I am the owner of the forum I would want more contribution and posting but how to get that. One easy way is to let the members provide their feedback and listen to what they have to say, don't you agree?

This thread was intended to get positive feed back from members about how to encourage more posting but it was misunderstand as "controversial topic" by some.

Our society and education here does not promote healthy criticism to promote a betterment of an institution. Instead we are taught to be silent and follow.

I would think that we should voice our views of course in a gentlemen way instead of "being blunt ......" as at the end of the day it would not lead to a constructive decision or argument for the betterment of an institution. Set aside all those egos and emotion, gentlemen.

I am not suggesting an registration fee but being innovative in giving discount vouchers from sponsors from some ADs. That way perhaps the ADs would like to contribute too.

Its just a positive suggestion and should examine its merits too.

As for those who intend to join in as members just to sell a watch after the require posting, I think that is not wrong. Why?

What if the watch goes to a happy member or perhaps one of our MOD has been seeking high and low for this piece. Remember this is not the only avenue to post a sale. Based on the theory of "for the benefit of doubt" you would never know eventually this member will contribute quality posting in the future after that successful sale.

Be generous and open minded.

By the way I have failed to sell 2 pieces (only 2pcs I have tried and all failed)  in this forum.

Though I may not be very active in this forum which I have joined recently last December, my humble posting is about 188 that works out to be about 0.6 posting per everyday or perhaps one in every alternate day. That's the best so far I can contribute and happy that some members are thankful for my postings. That's drive me to share more provided if I can if possible.

A very humorous phrase.... "listen, listen, listen......"

Listen to the members what they have got to say, gentlemen.

Yoda

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2013, 07:41:34 AM »
Dear gentlemen

"Quality post is when you are involved in discussion like the rest and not post 1 pic per reply to boost your post count.

Forum mods"

The MOD could not give me a precise definition of quality post which I asked and the above is the answer. I guess so long as the post could bring new knowledge and educational to one is define as "quality post"

Just think out of the box, gentlemen, if I am the owner of the forum I would want more contribution and posting but how to get that. One easy way is to let the members provide their feedback and listen to what they have to say, don't you agree?

This thread was intended to get positive feed back from members about how to encourage more posting but it was misunderstand as "controversial topic" by some.

Our society and education here does not promote healthy criticism to promote a betterment of an institution. Instead we are taught to be silent and follow.

I would think that we should voice our views of course in a gentlemen way instead of "being blunt ......" as at the end of the day it would not lead to a constructive decision or argument for the betterment of an institution. Set aside all those egos and emotion, gentlemen.

I am not suggesting an registration fee but being innovative in giving discount vouchers from sponsors from some ADs. That way perhaps the ADs would like to contribute too.

Its just a positive suggestion and should examine its merits too.

As for those who intend to join in as members just to sell a watch after the require posting, I think that is not wrong. Why?

What if the watch goes to a happy member or perhaps one of our MOD has been seeking high and low for this piece. Remember this is not the only avenue to post a sale. Based on the theory of "for the benefit of doubt" you would never know eventually this member will contribute quality posting in the future after that successful sale.

Be generous and open minded.

By the way I have failed to sell 2 pieces (only 2pcs I have tried and all failed)  in this forum.

Though I may not be very active in this forum which I have joined recently last December, my humble posting is about 188 that works out to be about 0.6 posting per everyday or perhaps one in every alternate day. That's the best so far I can contribute and happy that some members are thankful for my postings. That's drive me to share more provided if I can if possible.

A very humorous phrase.... "listen, listen, listen......"

Listen to the members what they have got to say, gentlemen.

Up until now, MWF is still a non-commercial public forum.
As with any non commercial public forum, we do not help promote any specific AD or Boutiques.
While the discount voucher suggestion sounds tantalizing... is however not feasible at this moment.
I am not sure any AD would sponsor but I know some would abuse this privilege if given...
How do we determine who gets the vouchers?
Free for all?
Even now, MODs are being criticized for just merely moderating... Imagine if we get the "power" to distribute freebies, vouchers or rewards?

Contrary to popular belief, MODs are just regular ppl with regular day jobs and not all can afford a five digit value piece every month... even as an individual, I find it hard to get friendly with an AD.
Being a moderator is not as rosy as everyone thinks...
Can I just walk in an AD and say that I am a MOD from MWF and instantly get extra discounts? Nope.

One thing about being independent and non commercial in nature, we can voice our displeasure at watches itself without any censoring...
As Kennypane said and I agree... A watch review should provide more insight on the ownership experience and not lay out specs.

I do however appreciate you starting this thread as it does bring out some meaningful discussion.
I do not think this is a controversial topic and I doubt any here does.

Dpkong does bring out an interesting point... which is we are all Malaysian.
The "Malaysian" way is surprisingly true.

The point is, for a public forum to flourish... contributing posts have to be voluntary from the public.
If their reason for posting is just to hit the 25 posts mark and sell their watches and accessories, so be it... We can't do much about that.
The rule of hitting 25 posts before allowing the member to post at the classifieds is exactly the kind of rule to encourage participation... but it seems to be abused and bypassed by one liner posts.
I myself have PM a member that we would appreciate some form of active participation before simply posting a FS thread after 25 one liners.
The reply I got? He asked... Did I break any rules? I said no.
Then he asked me to leave him alone unless he broken forum rules.

Else we would go the Puristpro route where articles and reviews and events are covered just for the enjoyment of readers and not the spirit of contributing.
And the cool thing about Puristpro MODs? They are paid.
They are commercial.
They accept advertisements on their site, which means they have the means to pay the MODs to cover events and write rosy reviews.
Do they care about participation? Not really from what I see.

All the replies here suggests that your views are being read and been taken into account.
But with any suggestions, not everything can be implemented or accepted in the blink of an eye.

I would like to plead with members that if there is anymore suggestions, we are willing to hear.
Now let's see if this will really get the ball rolling.
As the replies here is posted only by the usual few.
I would appreciate if any members new and old can join in this discussion...

Thank You

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2013, 08:23:02 AM »
I looked at some stats and saw something really sad.
Every year, the forum owner will post a survey / poll on the brands popularity for the affordable segment and the luxury segment.
One poll end up with the total votes cast at 86... and one at 76 votes cast.
At that time, the poll was run over a period of 30 days.
In the 30 days, there are more than 150 new members registered and thousands of already registered members.

Now this poll only requires a simple selection and submission.
No posts about your choices or reasoning behind it necessary.
Even a simple poll that requires active participation somehow only yields less than 90 unique votes...
Does show the sad truth.

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2013, 08:30:44 AM »
Just a few spontaneous responses that went through my mind as I read this thread..
My wishes for the forum to flourish and to have active daily threads:

I) That more members (especially the newer members or those with very few postings currently) would feel comfortable enough to post their thoughts on timepieces or on horology in general (in the event they do not own many timepieces but are still passionate about horology).
II) That more members organize specific themed gatherings of their favourite brand or type of watch, etc to share not only their timepieces but also their knowledge and journey in horology to where they currently are, in order for the rest to understand that person's collection in proper perspective

I would like to think that sometimes some individuals are hesitant to organize such gtg, start a thread or even post because of some/or a mix of the following:

they are genuinely busy or always on the move >> its a matter of commitment and passion
they feel that they are too new and do not know enough>> we all start somewhere
they feel they do not have a strong command of English>> as long as u get ur msg thru it doesn't matter
do not wish to come across as brash or a flash in the pan or too forward>> who cares as long as u r not rude
have just started buying watches and thus feel they are not 'qualified' to contribute and thus currently absorbing all they read here and on the internet first>> we are born naked with nothing on
are not interested in horology per se but here solely to sell and/or to ask for ADs contacts with high discounts..(hopefully we have very few of such ppl here or none at all)>> I wish u good luck but I'm not gonna help u
Judging from a few of the posts, some think that by posting a timepiece and sharing the experience or the performance of that piece, the poster is trying to show off, hence these individuals do not post up their timepieces in order not to 'boast' >> it's a matter of perspective and don't always assume. Perhaps you need to look at urself..
Some really wish to remain unknown maybe for fear of theft, robbery, kidnap but actually own a huge number of watches>> I wish to know where u stay too
Some wish to remain incognito due to perhaps their position in society>> wow.. we have such ppl here? but the truth is, shit stinks no matter from whom
Some are selfish and do not wish to share whatever they know (again I hope we do not have such characters here)>> get a life, no man is an island. google for a psychiatrist and perhaps the concept of a forum is lost on you..a big boo to takers only
Some are truly passionate about horology or timepieces but their current situation does not permit them to acquire more or additional pieces >>it doesn't matter how many or what you own, if you have the passion, it will show....

Regarding AD discounts and rewards, the replies of the various mods reflect my thinking as well

With regards to organizing gtgs, I have organized a few to-date and honestly it is never straightforward. To-date 3 are successful, 2 have failed and so I hear you, Donald..I've been wanting to go over for your seafood, beers and the SP toyshop but the gtg hasn't materialized due to poor turnout.

Due to most members leading a busy working life (many of our members travel out of bolehland often) it is a challenge to try and get an agreed date/time/place for a good turnout of enthusiastic and passionate WIS.

Perhaps a regular scheduled gathering ( once every 2 months on a certain day/date at a fixed venue)) can be started where it doesn't matter how many turn up but it will be held regardless.
Of course at such gtgs, due to the uncertainty of the ppl who will turn up and being a scheduled date/time/place, there may be other risks involved, so it would be a general gtg purely for discussion and not where high value timepieces are brought along.

As for themed gtgs, maybe some simple and low cost promotional items can be contributed or MWF could approach the respective ADs, to kick up the interest..e.g. if Richemont or SWATCH can contribute baseball caps or in house brand magazines or mouse pads with their branding, enthusiasts of such brands may be tempted to turn up at such themed gtg to get a souvenir of their favourite brand (cost and value is not the issue here but rather affinity to the brand)

Its Friday and my brain is going into shut down mode, waiting for single malt time, so any of my mad ramblings are purely understandable and not a representation of my normal prim and proper self...

« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 09:00:51 AM by JOS2012 »
Personal taste and preferences evolve over years, hopefully not 1 full circle otherwise it means we haven't learnt a single thing.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2013, 07:39:11 PM »
Since joining MWF, I have had at least 3 meetups or GTG when I was in KL and made it to one annual dinner. The crowd was always nearly the same enthusiastic faces. We talked about watches mainly but everything under the sun as well. It's a real pleasure to be made so welcome when I visit.

I've not cared much about trying to get the best AD discounts or group buy as I know the best prices are what you are willing to pay and how much the seller wants to sell the piece when you show him a bundle of cash. They will always make a profit. How much or how little is up to him.

This forum could become like the one is our neighbor country where I'm sure the owners or mods make a good income from all the advertising but would you like to navigate around all the flashing ads in every corner?

Forum mods"

No guessing required. It's quite clearly answered in the bold highlight.

On a forum, members would join in a discussion and post whatever comments they wish to that is related to the topic. If a new member joins just to post "Me too!" "Yes" "Like" etc to increase his/her personal post count until he is able to post an item for sale, it is irritating to me. I read topics based on my interests and check when new posts are made. Imagine my dismay when all I see such a blank post.

Do you consider the feedback as negative? You view yourself as giving constructive criticism and the MODs should accept it but you are not accepting the replies provided? So the MODs must "be silent and follow" your recommendations?

I'm sure the MODs here would be happy to hear from ADs who want to sponsor some free gifts, watches with no strings attached. Please feel free to PM any of the MODs if you have an offer of discount vouchers from ADs.

Dire Straits singing "Money for nothin' and chicks for free.." comes to mind...

:Laughing_on_floor:

It may not be wrong but is it right? Many Malaysians have this concept that anything is OK as long as it is not wrong. Doesn't matter if it's wrong in principle.

I sincerely hope that you do not take this as a personal attack or "being blunt" and no ego or emotion is bruised. While you have made some interesting suggestions, I would say they're not likely to happen as it is already clear that

1. we're not a large community/market that any AD would bother to sponsor anything.
2. we're not a commercial website so no AD would invest without returns

I think the best we can expect to have is a couple of invites to exclusive AD events which has happened before.

Offline el118

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2013, 09:28:11 PM »
From my experience in one of the online luxury car forum, members there are active in gathering of which they called TT (Teh Tarik session) because

1) they speak of "same language" i.e about the same brand.
2) they share detail maintenance experiences including quoting name of shops and cost paid. recommending good workshops and advising newbies to avoid some bad service / expensive workshops. (there is no control on these)
3) They admired one another's mod to their respective cars, from engines, steerings to rims.
4) they organise group buy for upgrades on similar marques.

there are some inherent obstacles to create a group of enthusiatics fans that are eager to come out for GTG in this forum due to

1) this is a general watch forum that covers from Casio to Patek. it is quite common that those two normally talk "different languages"
2) there is no much special maintenance on watch compared to car
3) almost on mod on the watch. all same model watch look exactly the same.

So naturally less interested members eager to join GTG...

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2013, 09:51:21 AM »
From my experience in one of the online luxury car forum, members there are active in gathering of which they called TT (Teh Tarik session) because

2) they share detail maintenance experiences including quoting name of shops and cost paid. recommending good workshops and advising newbies to avoid some bad service / expensive workshops. (there is no control on these)
3) They admired one another's mod to their respective cars, from engines, steerings to rims.

there are some inherent obstacles to create a group of enthusiatics fans that are eager to come out for GTG in this forum due to

1) this is a general watch forum that covers from Casio to Patek. it is quite common that those two normally talk "different languages"

I believe car enthusiasts face the same restrictions as us.
Unless it is a brand specific car forum, if it is a general car forum, a group might be a keen modder of a kancil or an old off roader for recreational purposes... would this group go along with owners of beemers, merz or 350Z?
Cars and watches are separated in segments just like watches do.
Affordable, mid range, luxury and ultra luxury.

A WIS can go all day talking about watches... if someone is willing to listen.
Doesn't matter that guy owns watches or not.
If you wanna learn... we can go on all day.
A GTG that we had at Kuching some time back, only 4 of us (dunno if this qualify as a GTG or not)
There was a good mix of watches present.
Everyone had their own story and experiences.
4 hours felt like 30 minutes...
I called for a KK GTG and only 3 of us were present... lol
But we did have a great time nonetheless...

One contributor that I always enjoyed is Meoramri.
That fellow owned one of the most diverse collection.
I heard in a GTG, he brought a case full of watches.
Have yet to meet him in person but hoping will be able to one day.

We currently have 3 boards, modern watches, vintage watches and german watches.
I believe at one point, there was a suggestion to create separate board for japanese watches.

The new board could be a success, I am not too sure, but the drawback is it will segregate the already small crowd further.
Enkidu and JOS is well known for their Seiko knowledge.
Ask any Seiko question and they will most probably be the 1st to answer.

As for being able to compare prices and shop experiences and allowing to name and shame, it will depend on future developments.
Being a public forum... we do not have a team of legal experts in our payroll should any big brands or shops decide to shoot us with a lawsuit (they have deep pockets and we don't)

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2013, 10:38:28 AM »
thank you so much for all the comments and views above

For information

1. Gtg every month has been thought and discussed. Will make it happen for sure in the very near future - we are looking for MWF home for such event
- we are aware that new faces is shy when only similar faces turn out each time
- regular gtg will bond us together

2. Brand sponsor of door gift etc. oh yes - we do have brands knocking our door actually, we might be small in the world but we are actually huge in Malaysia.
We have not take initiative to approach AD, brand, etc due to we are not commercial intended but pure interest in watches. To attract more ppl join us... Influence more ppl into collecting watches, we are seriously thinking into make this MWF a
HOME - a gtg place, hang around place, knowledge sharing place, information exchanging.... For all watch lover
To do that, we also need to make sure our home to be financially viable, hence we been carefully think about it and planning on it

3. Language - as a Malaysian, we do speak multi language! No worry, we switch our tongue fast
So far Mwf is pre dominant in English.
Let's also promote our Malaysian language - Rojak language is welcome

4. I'm working hard lately into MWF. Spending my precious afterwork n weekend time for this...
Searching for Malaysian talent
Finding Malaysia theme n DNA
Setting up a home
Hopefully in very short time, we will be able to gather more Malaysian watch lover together

Ps - dpkong - I thought Meoramri collection mostly divers ?

Offline dpkong

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2013, 11:55:55 AM »

What I can see is that the car owners are interested to join in TT session because:

1. they can find good deals on parts
2. they can see first hand how mods look, feel or sound like
3. they can get good tips on where to do mods/repairs etc

All of the above means that they show up because they will gain something. And I believe that once a car owner no longer feels he can gain anything by showing up at the TT session other than teaching others or giving free advice, he will no longer show up, unless he was a true enthusiast.

At out GTGs, everyone gets to feel and see and even try hands-on, different types of watches. I never really considered the ROO until after I spent some time with one at the MWF dinner. We also share where to buy and what we saw at different shops for those hunting for a particular piece.

There is actually so much to learn at any GTG if you were a real watch addict.

I believe at one point, there was a suggestion to create separate board for japanese watches.

The new board could be a success, I am not too sure, but the drawback is it will segregate the already small crowd further.

As it is, I hardly check out the German section. While more sections may segregate the users, it also helps to make it easier for those focussed on particular ones to keep up. As it is, the General section gets few new posts and making sub-sections may just reduce that further. New users wouldn't know if a watch is German, Swiss etc. Then there's that issue of a German brand name/owner but Swiss made and maybe soon, a Swiss brand made in China  :o

To do that, we also need to make sure our home to be financially viable, hence we been carefully think about it and planning on it

When a forum tries to make a move to acquire a physical location, money matters may turn ugly. Hence I can see why careful thought on the matter is required. I'd be interested to hear progress on this. A monthly trip to KL to go watch-hunting is poisonous indeed!

Ps - dpkong - I thought Meoramri collection mostly divers ?

That was hanz079

Hopefully in very short time, we will be able to gather more Malaysian watch lover together

That is what our GTG is all about. Talking about watches and making new friends who have a similar interest. It is not about who's got the biggest collection, most expensive watch or deepest pockets. When I have a target, I tend to want to consult my MWF friends before committing to buy.

Offline Yoda

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2013, 06:47:30 AM »
Dear Mods and members,

I find that the posting are very informative and interesting. Knowing the future plans of MWF, and respectively admired the MODs for defending each ones' idea and opinion.

The MODS and fellow members do demonstrate a strong fellowship to me and truly made me feel you guys are a great Malaysian.

I apologize to anyone of you there if I have used a wrong remarks, please forgive me.

A quote from a member.........

" Perhaps a regular scheduled gathering ( once every 2 months on a certain day/date at a fixed venue)) can be started where it doesn't matter how many turn up but it will be held regardless.
Of course at such gtgs, due to the uncertainty of the ppl who will turn up and being a scheduled date/time/place, there may be other risks involved, so it would be a general gtg purely for discussion and not where high value timepieces are brought along."

This is one of good and positive suggestion.

You guys are great.

;)

Yoda

Offline el118

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2013, 08:57:28 AM »
All in all, i salute the moderators who spend a lot of their previous time and effort in maintaining discipline and order of this forum. the more posting, there will be more work for them.

Keep up the good work bros! :thumbsup: