Author Topic: Wu Xing Fire  (Read 4507 times)

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
Wu Xing Fire
« on: September 10, 2013, 08:26:15 AM »
This has to be one of the most interesting buckle strap combination that I have ever reviewed. The buckle is made of Goldfield Curled Spot which I believe comes from goldfields of Western Australia. The burls forms on the sides of hardwood trees, in this case the eucalyptus trees. The burls have a light brown colouring and fantastic grain pattern. You can see this on the buckle.

FineWatchBuckles have decided not to trim the edges of the burl and the buckle has a unique look to it. I can only think of one strap that will match the buckle, and it is from D8Bworld. The combination is just made for each other.

The buckle, matched with a Damask steel bolt from Maddog and strap from D8Bworld.

The buckle is interesting indeed.

The grain on the buckle is just beautiful. I like it. The buckle measures 24 mm (strap attachment). As with other buckles from FineWatchBuckles, it is well made with a beautiful finish.

The tapering on the back.

The unique 'unfinish' top edge of the buckle. It does add character to the buckle.

The D8Bworld strap. The floating keeper (22mm wide), the stitching finish in the shape of a flame (it is called a flame stitch). Why? Read on...

Hand made strap, in dark burgundy leather. Well made strap indeed. The buckle side measures 85mm while the hole side comes in at 130mm. The strap is 4mm thick and is 24mm wide across the length of the strap (save the fire). The strap is hand made.

Now you can understand why I said the buckle matches the strap to a T. The strap is the Wu Xing Fire strap. Wu Xing is of course the Five Elements in Chinese and describe the state in nature. Fire is of course the second element in Wu Xing. The other elements are wood, earth, metal and water (in that sequence).

Wu Xing Fire marked on the strap.

The cut of the strap is in the shape of flames.

My Strap Test Dummy fitted out with the strap and buckle.

One would expect the strap and buckle combination to be uncomfortable. On the contrary, it is pretty comfortable and the buckle does not 'cut' my wrist at all. The curve of the buckle flows with the curve of the thumb.

Offline bezelnut

Re: Wu Xing Fire
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 01:16:48 PM »
That is truly unusual looking. Wear that in the public will definitely get a lot of attention.

Somehow the buckle look a lot like truffle. Maybe when someone ask about it, you can say "Yeah, I like to tapao my truffle."  ;D

Offline Alvin-8880

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 09:56:30 PM »
Amazingly interesting !

Hope it does not feel like wearing a handcuff.  :Praying:

Offline nasa

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 10:15:02 PM »
That is truly unusual looking. Wear that in the public will definitely get a lot of attention.

Somehow the buckle look a lot like truffle. Maybe when someone ask about it, you can say "Yeah, I like to tapao my truffle."  ;D

Truffle???   :Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor:

On a more serious note..Is it comfortable to wear since the buckle is quite large??

Offline bezelnut

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 09:12:16 AM »
OP did mentioned that it is comfortable.

One would expect the strap and buckle combination to be uncomfortable. On the contrary, it is pretty comfortable and the buckle does not 'cut' my wrist at all. The curve of the buckle flows with the curve of the thumb.

Offline dennis.T

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2013, 08:38:41 PM »
This design is meant for rockers!!!