Author Topic: Marriage watch, Franken watch & Redial watch  (Read 8567 times)

Offline bezelnut

Marriage watch, Franken watch & Redial watch
« on: September 07, 2013, 11:13:07 AM »
Hi all,

Marriage watch vs Franken watch, which is worst? Should both be totally avoided? If the watch is properly put together, and also clearly addressed as such, not in a rip-off way, priced accordingly as well, will you accept it?

Also, can you please share your view with redial watch? Is redialing a vintage really a sin?

Thanks you all in advance.

Offline kenixck

Re: Marriage watch, Franken watch & Redial watch
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 07:08:15 PM »
A man's meat is another's poison.

I find marriage watches a form of recycling art and personally a fan of frankens.
Just my opinion .... ;)
I would say I'm definitely not a purist.

Besides, sinners have more fun don't they ?

Offline bezelnut

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 09:26:58 PM »
Well said.  :thumbsup:

With your speed at preeching, I'm going to follow your cult soon.  ;D

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 09:20:15 AM »
Redial
Refinish dial
Cleaned dial
Relumed dial
Replaced service center original dial

Sometimes depends on brand, model, etc

Rolex - I love to hv a non touch dial if it is tritium lumed, aged but non crack n chip off... If chip off...

Omega - u can't tell whether is Franken in many occasion!
 Seamaster case for pilot, same hands for few models, same movement for few models...
Original service dial still available some times...

How about old movement new case
Old pocket Watch movement with wristwatch case!
Depend on how u do it, I personally like some of TNT work...
I hv a Hamilton 921 into modern steel wristwatch case
Eta6497 / 6498 were made for pocket watches those day

Offline 1to12

• Carpe Diem !!
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 11:33:15 AM »
Interesting... I have been thinking abt refinished dial also. No strong personal aversion to franken watch although I wont usually go for it. If it's OEM/fake replacement external parts, I'm ok with it for normal range watches like Seiko.

Also ok for medium to higher end watches but it should be something that's easily recognisable for not being original yet has good taste / creativity. For e.g. those pvd coated Explorers.

Coming back to refinished dial... I've come across some very nice ones but somehow I havent pulled any triggers yet on these type of watches although I know there's really no big sins unless badly done ones...
"...But if you listen real close, you can hear them whisper their legacy to you. Go on, lean in. Listen, you hear it? - - Carpe - - hear it? - - Carpe, carpe diem, seize the day boys, make your lives extraordinary." - John Keating, Dead Poets Society

Offline rainbowfix

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 01:10:46 PM »
Interesting... I have been thinking abt refinished dial also. No strong personal aversion to franken watch although I wont usually go for it. If it's OEM/fake replacement external parts, I'm ok with it for normal range watches like Seiko.

Also ok for medium to higher end watches but it should be something that's easily recognisable for not being original yet has good taste / creativity. For e.g. those pvd coated Explorers.

Coming back to refinished dial... I've come across some very nice ones but somehow I havent pulled any triggers yet on these type of watches although I know there's really no big sins unless badly done ones...
Badly done redails like these.....?
I doubt anyone will claim these pictures as theirs....

"Special edition Seamaster" dail redone by cutting a potato press and print.

Dail redone by a out dated bubble jet printer with low dpi.

Dail redone by a 7 year old with a very steady hand... and imagination.... :Cheers:

Franken or marriage is quite ok (as u said priced accordingly).... but i too try to avoid as much as possible...

I got this polerouter super with a replacement crown- will it count at franken? For comparison, a Polerouter super (almost same condition and model) with an original crown is more than 2.5 time the one I bought (the difference is just the crown). Since not involving a lot of money...it did not bother me too much. I try to go original where possible... especially is the item is "expensive". :Cheers:

Offline 1to12

• Carpe Diem !!
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 02:34:25 PM »

Badly done redails like these.....?
I doubt anyone will claim these pictures as theirs....

"Special edition Seamaster" dail redone by cutting a potato press and print.

Dail redone by a out dated bubble jet printer with low dpi.

Dail redone by a 7 year old with a very steady hand... and imagination.... :Cheers:

Franken or marriage is quite ok (as u said priced accordingly).... but i too try to avoid as much as possible...

I got this polerouter super with a replacement crown- will it count at franken? For comparison, a Polerouter super (almost same condition and model) with an original crown is more than 2.5 time the one I bought (the difference is just the crown). Since not involving a lot of money...it did not bother me too much. I try to go original where possible... especially is the item is "expensive". :Cheers:

Haha... I thot the Dynamic was the one with potato cut prints..  :Laughing_on_floor:

For me, the crown is not very important especially for normal vintage pieces where it's not so apparent but if the colour difference is apparent, then it bothers me. 2.5 times more just becos of crown? I wont be bothered then...
"...But if you listen real close, you can hear them whisper their legacy to you. Go on, lean in. Listen, you hear it? - - Carpe - - hear it? - - Carpe, carpe diem, seize the day boys, make your lives extraordinary." - John Keating, Dead Poets Society

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013, 03:30:00 PM »
My Cyma Flex, dial and hands refurbished by my watch guy.

The before photo.

Would I do it again? Highly unlikely.....
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 03:38:06 PM by TheHobbit »

Offline bezelnut

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 08:44:24 AM »
Thanks you guys for all the replies.

chrisyen:
Thanks for explanation. Yes, I saw your Hamilton post, and I think it is very nice. Especially like the display case back and how the movement filled the whole case.

rainbowfix:
That is a nice Polerouter. The fact is, I ask about franken is also mainly because of the cost. As you'd mention, just a single non-original part can means the watch to be accessible by fraction of the original cost. And that's a big plus in my eye.

1to12:
How do you define "something that's easily recognisable for not being original yet has good taste / creativity"? I thought majority of the vintage are already not recognisable (besides few famous model like A386 or Sub). Sorry if I ask stupid question.

TheHobbit:
Can you please explain more why not to do it again? Because of the restoring cost or authenticity look? The original is not much wearable,right?

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2013, 11:53:19 AM »
I prefer my watches as original as possible, any mod I do tends to be reversible. As for the Cyma, the watch was an experiment of sorts, for something else. Just to see what is actually possible and what is the quality of the workmanship.

Offline bezelnut

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2013, 12:41:18 PM »
I prefer my watches as original as possible, any mod I do tends to be reversible. As for the Cyma, the watch was an experiment of sorts, for something else. Just to see what is actually possible and what is the quality of the workmanship.

I see.
So do you stand against buying watch that are already modified is some way?
Also, if you don't mind, can give a rough figure how much you spent to restore the Cyma?

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2013, 02:43:37 PM »

I see.
So do you stand against buying watch that are already modified is some way?
Also, if you don't mind, can give a rough figure how much you spent to restore the Cyma?

It all depends. Very personal actually. Lets take a modification like changing the date wheel on an eta 2824 or some other ETA basic movement. The original watch comes with a black on white date wheel (standard) and you change it to a white on black. It depends on what what you do it to. I am fine if it was on a Marathon SAR, but not an an IWC Mk 15. Or the removal of the cyclops on a Rolex Submariner Date. I am not ok with that. But converting or modifying a Seiko SKX033 to a milsub homage, I am ok. Basically to me, as long as it is reversible, and if you plan to sell the watch, you are upfront about the mod (and include all the parts to all de-mod), I am ok with it. 

Franken watches? Not for me. I like military watches and would love to collect and expand my collection. However, with the amount of franken watches out there.... I would think twice. Main reason I still don't have an IWC mk 11. The amount of franken IWC mk 11 out there is just scary.

Offline bezelnut

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2013, 03:42:13 PM »

It all depends. Very personal actually. Lets take a modification like changing the date wheel on an eta 2824 or some other ETA basic movement. The original watch comes with a black on white date wheel (standard) and you change it to a white on black. It depends on what what you do it to. I am fine if it was on a Marathon SAR, but not an an IWC Mk 15. Or the removal of the cyclops on a Rolex Submariner Date. I am not ok with that. But converting or modifying a Seiko SKX033 to a milsub homage, I am ok. Basically to me, as long as it is reversible, and if you plan to sell the watch, you are upfront about the mod (and include all the parts to all de-mod), I am ok with it. 

Franken watches? Not for me. I like military watches and would love to collect and expand my collection. However, with the amount of franken watches out there.... I would think twice. Main reason I still don't have an IWC mk 11. The amount of franken IWC mk 11 out there is just scary.

Thanks for such a comprehensive explaination.