Author Topic: Mum's watch: Part 2  (Read 3192 times)

Offline @tsw@

• My precious
Mum's watch: Part 2
« on: August 14, 2013, 01:07:55 PM »
Dear forum members,

Upon receiving her restored rolex, mum was over the moon.
And another surprise was installed for me. Mum pulled out her mum's watch passed down to her as a family heirloom. She asked whether I can get it restored as well.

some pics

It is a gold ladies cyma watersports with cymaflex technology, 22mm diameter.
Researched it and dicovered it is about 50+ years old.

My mum said that she vaguely remembers that her mum purchased it after the japanese invasion of malaya. Fyi, malaysia was under japanese occupation from 1941 to 1945, mum had told us numerous horrible stories from that period and how some of her siblings were totured and killed.

Anyway, back to the watch, is there any recomended watch restoration shop in kl that I can get this piece to be done up. Would like to try an independent and not the brand's service center due to cost.

Offline 1to12

• Carpe Diem !!
Re: Mum's watch: Part 2
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 10:16:38 PM »
That's a very long a bracelet!! Good luck in restoring the family heirloom. I only know some watch repairers in amcorp. You can go there and check it out.
"...But if you listen real close, you can hear them whisper their legacy to you. Go on, lean in. Listen, you hear it? - - Carpe - - hear it? - - Carpe, carpe diem, seize the day boys, make your lives extraordinary." - John Keating, Dead Poets Society

Offline dankhar

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 12:45:06 PM »
Any update on your mom's watch revival @tsw@?
Sometimes the best thing to do is ... absolutely nothing!

Offline @tsw@

• My precious
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 07:15:38 AM »
Sorry for not replying, did not see the request. Anyhow long story short.

The cost of repair was not acceptable and the watch smith not able to refurbish to original condition, therefore I've returned it to mum for safekeeping.

Offline anilv

• blog
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 12:14:04 PM »
Did the watchmaker say what was the problem?

The major things like broken balance  pivot, mainspring etc are costly to maintain but if it a common movement you can get a 'donor' movement' and salvage parts from there.

Anil