Author Topic: Mum's Watch  (Read 7130 times)

Offline @tsw@

• My precious
Mum's Watch
« on: August 05, 2013, 10:56:51 AM »
Dear all, it has been a long time since I've been active on this great forum. Was busy with other priorities and no bullets to endeavour further into watches.

However wish to share my experience with my mum's watch. A month ago, was assisting my parents to move in with me and helped with packing up.

Inside one of mum's jewellery box were some watches that she said were not working.  I dug into the box and holy crap!! Found myself a ladies oyster perpetual date 31mm in good condition albeit for the crown (when pulled out, is not able to  wind the watch or set the time).

Mum had no recollection of the year of purchase except that it broke down two or three years ago. Last week I brought the watch to rsc at wisma dion and discovered a few amazing things that has slowly drawn me into the brand that I previously detest due to the stigma of it being a rich man's watch. This perception is changing.

At the RSC, they opened up the watch and my god, the watch mechanism all looked like new. The only thing not working was the crown and that affected the rotor (which had to be changed as well), overall comment from rsc was that general cleaning, oiling and polishing will bring the watch to original condition. And the catch...... from their record this watch is 30 years old and had never been brought in for service. They also confirmed that the osyter casing has never been tampered with.

Well I'll impressed and will take photos of the watch when its back from rsc. the watch will be returned to mum as a surprise gift for house warming.

Offline Empty Tree 8

Re: Mum's Watch
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 11:36:57 AM »
This is a very nice piece. Thank you for sharing. I look forward to the ensuing events.  :Cheers:

Offline bezelnut

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 11:52:33 AM »
That watch has a very interesting history indeed. That's the unique properties of watches I think, it carries memories with it, a story, an event, even a person.

Thank you for sharing.

Also wish good health and longevity to your mother.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 06:05:30 PM »
Will be interested to know what was done in servicing and the costs involved. Keep us updated.

Offline r3kahsttub

• Awake, but asleep
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 09:58:34 PM »
Thank you for sharing. I'm looking forward to more pics when this is brought back to full health!  :thumbsup:

Offline yohannes86

• Freshie
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2013, 09:17:38 AM »
Yeah bro, would be really appreciative if you could share the cost of bringing this beauty back to life as well..

Offline @tsw@

• My precious
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 09:58:53 AM »
As I have no experience with watch repair works of any kind, decided the safest route was to bring it back to rsc instead of independent party. And most probably kena potong by rsc.

The first thing rsc does is to inform you that an inspection and quotation with breakdown of work to be done on watch will cost rm200. This takes about 15mins. They took the watch behind to the workshop and 15mins later came back with the watch all opened up and bracelet dismantled. The fella then proceed to explain the quotation.

In my case, besides the crown amd rotor. They are changing the watch acrylic display as well. The dial is maintained. Then overall cleaning and lubricating before sending it for polishing. Total cost rm2400+. They say 2 weeks to get it done.

Wish to ask whether it is reasonable as the service cost is about 25% of the asking price of this vintage datejust.

If mum knows, my ass get whipped and tongue lashing. The watch probably only costed rm700 30 years ago.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2013, 05:22:09 PM »

I think the RM200 inspection charge is only applicable if you do not proceed with service.

The total quoted cost of RM2,400++ is the standard charge by RSC and varies only slightly between models. While it may be about 25% of the asking price of the watch, you cannot really consider that as there is sentimental value attached to it. Plus, you will get a near brand new watch after the work and a 2 year worldwide warranty to go with it. And since it is done by RSC, you will have no worries about the parts in it.

When mum asks how much it costs, just smile and refuse to answer.  :Cheers:

Offline @tsw@

• My precious
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2013, 06:53:21 PM »
Dear Sir dpkong

Your words are exactly what the fella at RSC said.
you will get a near brand new watch after the work and a 2 year worldwide warranty to go with it. And since it is done by RSC, you will have no worries about the parts in it.

You must have heard that very often from RSC to be able to repeat virtually word for word. :Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline takashi78

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2013, 08:05:17 PM »
Do take after pics when you receive the watch back.

Should be good as new.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2013, 09:16:42 PM »
Dear Sir dpkong

Your words are exactly what the fella at RSC said.
you will get a near brand new watch after the work and a 2 year worldwide warranty to go with it. And since it is done by RSC, you will have no worries about the parts in it.

You must have heard that very often from RSC to be able to repeat virtually word for word. :Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor:

No real world experience with them really except for the one time they regulated my Daytona under warranty. But from posts of members from other forums, the work looks good! The hardest thing for non-RSC to replicate is the brushed finish.

Offline @tsw@

• My precious
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2013, 05:28:33 PM »
Hi all,
Just got the watch back today. And here are a few pics.

New pouch from rsc.

The serviced watch.

Overall, the rsc did a decent job but not value for money type of work.

Firstly there are still scuff marks on the deployant clasp.
Secondly, the new fitted crown seems to be out of sort. When screwed down, there is still a small gap between watch amd crown.
Thirdly, when I request to see the parts that they claimed to have changed, the lady is not able to show me, excuse being person incharge of my watch restoration work is not around. I'll give them the benefit of doubt, as they have a reputation to keep and wouldn't play hanky-panky.
Lastly, and also most importantly, they are not willing to issue an internationally certificate of warranty for 2 years, reason being the watch is old and cannot be approved for international warranty. However they did verbally guarantee me that I could bring in the watch if anything goes wrong within this 2 years but only to kl rsc.

Question, should I at least ask them for a letter of authenticity for the watch if they are unwilling to issue a warranty?

Bill came up to be rm2483

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2013, 07:12:18 PM »

they are not willing to issue an internationally certificate of warranty for 2 years, reason being the watch is old and cannot be approved for international warranty. However they did verbally guarantee me that I could bring in the watch if anything goes wrong within this 2 years but only to kl rsc.

Congrats on the watch. While I agree that it may not be value for money, at least you will have a serviced watch that can last you for the next few years. With regards to RSC not issuing you with an International warranty, one of the reason is that RSC cannot guarantee that other RSC worldwide will have the stock of parts for your watch. It may be because RSC itself does not have the parts anymore to provide to RSC worldwide. As such, RSC will not issue the world wide guarantee. I have had this happen to my watch (both Tudor and Rolex) and my brothers watch as well. Joys of having an old watch..... :)

Offline @tsw@

• My precious
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2013, 08:18:12 PM »
Oh, understand now.
Thank you for the info. :thumbsup:

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2013, 09:40:59 PM »
Wow... RSC did a fine job on the watch.
The difference is staggering.
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline dpkong

« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2013, 10:03:28 PM »

Other than the bracelet stretch, the watch does look very good indeed!

Can you take better pictures of the crown meeting the case? There normally is a little gap when it's screwed down due to the rubber gasket under the crown. Don't tighten it too much or the gasket will wear down faster. If the gap is too large, maybe the crown tube wasn't screwed in well?

And if you're talking about poor polishing around the coronet on the clasp, it could be because the technician did not want to wear down the coronet too much. Not too bad because it will get scratched up again during use.

Offline bezelnut

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2013, 09:10:46 AM »
Congrats for the watch, looking good.  :thumbsup:

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2013, 10:43:59 AM »
The crown gap could be because of new and thick gaskets. Something I find from my Rolexes after it comes back from servicing. It's normal. As the year goes and the rubber gets thinner because of pressure applied, the gap would not be that noticeble.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 01:27:04 AM by terrenceterrence »
Better outrun my gun....faster than my bullet

Offline garseng

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2013, 11:09:30 PM »
im new in this forum, and its hard to believe that the watch can be restored to its original..very nice indeed!