Author Topic: Old man, recently discovering watches.  (Read 5828 times)

Offline TickTock

• Freshie
Old man, recently discovering watches.
« on: July 28, 2016, 03:11:03 PM »
Good day all. Obviously new to the forum. And from my topic title fairly new to discovering watches and the myriad of styles and choices that are arrayed for our consideration.

I'll write a bit about how I became interested in watches. If it is of no interest to you, I apologize for the imposition.

Roughly three years ago a new coworker started talking about watches. For the most part I had no idea or interest in what he was talking about. But he was passionate on the subject. Thankfully he did not force feed me information from a fire hose. But he gently brought me along.

My watches had previously been quartz pieces. I had many Timex and Casio pieces over the years. I had recently bought a Luminox Quartz and to me it was a fine, fine watch. Thankfully my coworker did not ridicule me but appreciated it for what it was; and still is.

He let me wear a nice but inexpensive Junkers. Simple round 42 mm black dail that was somewhat similar to a Panerai. I ended up wearing it for 3 days and quite enjoyed it.

We continued our daily discussions and I found myself buying a secondhand Panerai. It wasn't a particularly expensive Panerai but still orders of magnitude more than any previously purchased watch. I bought the watch almost two years ago and only wore it for the first time last week. Previously the watch was in another country with my family and when I got it the standard OEM strap was too short.

Just last week I was able to find a suitable strap in KL although the Panerai deployant will not fit due to the thickness of the tail of the strap.

In the intervening time between purchasing the Panerai I bought a new diver, a secondhand chronograph and a double retrograde complication.

I'm currently waiting on a German manual wind that was ordered last August. It should finish later this year.

So I find myself attracted to different styles and brands and watches with different purposes.

I'm a buyer and I doubt I ever sell a piece. But the. Again I doubt I should ever say I would never sell. Times and circumstances change.

I do have a couple of pieces I'm considering In the next year or two. Cartier interests me although I'm not sure if it will be a tank or the Santos or perhaps the Tortue. And a pilots watch is on the list. I like the Zenith Bronze but there are lots of choices in that class. Some more expensive and others with value for the money. In reality I'm waiting on my German watch and not really not hot to buy currently. Of course those of you with this disease of timepiece addiction know how quickly that thought can change.

I'm more interested in owning more moderately priced pieced. I don't see a Patek, Lange or even Rolex in my small box of watches. But I certainly enjoy reading about them.

Longer term maybe a Ulysses Nardin and maybe a Bell & Ross will find a way onto my wrist.

At any rate, this journey of collecting started with a coworker (now good friend) discussing his passion for timepieces during lunch and breaks at the office. At first I didn't understand how this was a "big deal".  A watch was just something to put on and forget about until you needed to know the time. Now it fills some spare hours with something that is fascinating with all the old and new pieces. I'm grateful to my friend for patiently teaching an old man something new.

Kind regards all,

TickTock

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. - Voltaire

Offline meoramri

• Global Moderator
    • My Eastern Watch Collection
Re: Old man, recently discovering watches.
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 03:35:07 PM »
No one is ever too old for this hobby  :thumbsup:
Main watch blog visit: http://easternwatch.blogspot.com

Offline TickTock

• Freshie
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 04:01:32 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement.
Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. - Voltaire

Offline Conscript

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 05:24:49 PM »
Welcome and enjoy your stay here.

Offline Jedirat

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2016, 06:07:11 PM »
Welcome on Board and let us share your journey through.  :Cheers:

Offline dualcarb

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2016, 08:33:23 AM »
Thank you for sharing your story, and welcome to the forums. No one is too young or too old for watches.

Offline Devilzzz44

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2016, 10:33:08 AM »
Thanks for the sharing...and welcome to MWF :thumbsup:

Offline @tsw@

• My precious
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2016, 11:51:54 AM »
So endearing. :thumbsup:

Offline TickTock

• Freshie
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2016, 03:13:42 PM »
Many thanks for the kind replies. I realize I'm a novice and your patience is appreciated. 

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2016, 04:56:03 PM »
Welcome.
Is your friend a forum member of ours?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline TickTock

• Freshie
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2016, 05:16:07 PM »
No, he is a Brit, transplanted to the USA. He normally works abroad. We worked for a company in Seoul, South Korea. We were on different projects, different disciplines. However our company supplied housing was in the same complex. We saw each other in the building lobby, after a few weeks we met in the same coffee shop near the office. Unknown to both of us it was our favorite coffee from many choices of shops. After 7 months working there our office moved across town. We started sharing a taxi to work.  His passion for watches was not evident at first. I never noticed the rotation of watches and straps because frankly it was not an interest of mine at that time. I just had no idea the vast number of styles, brands, prices, etc even existed. But he slowly introduced me to this world. So I have him either to blame or thank, depending on one's perspective.

He buys and sells a few pieces from time to time. Plus he buys his wife nice pieces fairly often. Since his wife and my wife have met, I also get the pleasure of giving my wife a nice piece every year. It's amazing how this has developed.

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
Old man, recently discovering watches.
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2016, 07:19:59 PM »
How wonderful a topic of watches can bring 2 person together, even families.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline TickTock

• Freshie
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2016, 05:54:18 AM »
I ran into a short article on another site that asked How Did You First Get Into Watches with a poll at the end. Since I'm not sure if I should post a link or reference to another site here, if you are interested, PM me and I'll give you an address.

I hope I'm not in violation of forum rules.

Offline danslater

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2016, 03:13:51 PM »
 :Laughing_on_floor:
In the pursuit of happiness, in form and function

Offline DNA2

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2016, 06:31:38 PM »
I ran into a short article on another site that asked How Did You First Get Into Watches with a poll at the end. Since I'm not sure if I should post a link or reference to another site here, if you are interested, PM me and I'll give you an address.

I hope I'm not in violation of forum rules.

Do share here, as long as the info is good.

Thanks/