Author Topic: Watch Winder  (Read 13987 times)

Offline pr1mus

Watch Winder
« on: April 27, 2010, 02:56:06 PM »
Hi Folks,

Looking for a watch winder badly. The 8-watch winder unit I was using decided to wind 6 out of the 8 watch only. Picked that up from S'pore the last time round, if I can get something similar locally would be nice. Any recommendations? Thanks! ;D

Offline David_cheong

Re: Watch Winder
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 04:09:52 PM »
Check out Amcorp mall, level 1. Good place to start with.

dc
I am almost a recovered watchaholic, but last checked shows only 70% recovered. How?

Offline TSC

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 11:15:10 PM »
Hi
Ya, visit Amcorp Mall Level 1, a shop selling high quality winder box with variety choice.

;)
TSC

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 06:47:13 AM »
wow TSC become our forum member  :thumbsup:

Offline dennis.T

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 08:03:45 AM »
hi CK, who is this TSC?? ur fren? I also looking for the watch winder..do u all think that is reasonable to fork out sgd 350 for a German made watch winder (4 winder + 5 storage) with 3 months warranty. U can get it for 2 yrs warranty by paying sgd 200 more.

Offline JPSP

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 08:46:24 AM »
Dennis, I say don't waste time getting a winder. I sold mine few years ago. Just wear your watches more often.

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 12:14:35 PM »
hi CK, who is this TSC?? ur fren? I also looking for the watch winder..do u all think that is reasonable to fork out sgd 350 for a German made watch winder (4 winder + 5 storage) with 3 months warranty. U can get it for 2 yrs warranty by paying sgd 200 more.

Nope, I think they operate a service center there. (Mod, did i broke the R&R?)

Offline dennis.T

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 08:30:06 PM »
James, noted
CK, comon man u thk too much liao...our gracious mods wnt take it to heart just buy them more drinks if u break e rules :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline pr1mus

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 10:30:04 AM »
Dennis, I say don't waste time getting a winder. I sold mine few years ago. Just wear your watches more often.

If you have a few automatic watch, it is no longer possible to wear them all the time and keep them running right?

On specs, most auto watch fully wound up will last 42 hours. This probably takes about 6 hours (guesswork from experience, any more accurate feedback?) of wear to get to full wind? Assuming you cycle 4 watch on daily basis, by the 3rd day, your 1st watch in the week would be dead? By the 4th day, your 1st and 2nd watch on that cycle would be dead?

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 10:35:54 AM »
You can manual wind your automatic watch daily, if the movement permit.

Offline dennis.T

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2010, 12:43:07 PM »
primus, perhaps u have no idea how many pc of 7 days, 8 days and 10 days PR watches this guy owned… :Laughing_on_floor:
James, just pulling u leg so no hard feeling ya…

Offline JPSP

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2010, 08:10:02 PM »

If you have a few automatic watch, it is no longer possible to wear them all the time and keep them running right?

On specs, most auto watch fully wound up will last 42 hours. This probably takes about 6 hours (guesswork from experience, any more accurate feedback?) of wear to get to full wind? Assuming you cycle 4 watch on daily basis, by the 3rd day, your 1st watch in the week would be dead? By the 4th day, your 1st and 2nd watch on that cycle would be dead?

it depends on what's the purpose of getting a winder...is it to make sure that all watches will be running and you don't need to wind when you want to wear them? or is it to make sure that the parts are lubricated all 365 days?

if it's the former....isn't it more fun to wind your watch, adjust to the correct time and enjoy the interaction? other than the hunt and search, the fun part is to interact with your watches..wind them up, listen to the sound of winding and etc...

if it's the latter, i personally don't feel think there's a need to lub it everyday...in fact, some feels that constant winding will wear the springs. my dad's 15 years old rollie has been worn very sparingly (can count the number of times in a year), runs accurate time, and we only sent it in for servicing after 10 years (it's because i wanted to send my own rollie for overhaul). having said this, if the purpose is to lub the parts, then by wearing them in rotation is good enough unless you've a very big collection.

Offline takashi78

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2010, 08:42:08 PM »
Thats the reason i like to have a time only watch.
No need to adjust the date haha

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2010, 07:36:16 AM »
Using the winder is not Green because power required!
Using the winder will increase wear n tear for your watch!

So unless u own a automatic perpetual calendar which difficult to set date, or else no reason to use it!

Sorry if u offended u but pls save the earth together!  :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline takashi78

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2010, 09:12:54 AM »
Agree with Chris.
Until the day i have a perp calendar, no winder for me too.

Offline pr1mus

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2010, 01:24:56 PM »

I unfornately falls in the former but do not have the passion that some have to carress the watch before using it. I'd rather prefer it tells me the correct time than having to wind everytime I need the watch. Blasphemous? Yes. Practical? Yes as well.  ;D

it depends on what's the purpose of getting a winder...is it to make sure that all watches will be running and you don't need to wind when you want to wear them? or is it to make sure that the parts are lubricated all 365 days?

if it's the former....isn't it more fun to wind your watch, adjust to the correct time and enjoy the interaction? other than the hunt and search, the fun part is to interact with your watches..wind them up, listen to the sound of winding and etc...

if it's the latter, i personally don't feel think there's a need to lub it everyday...in fact, some feels that constant winding will wear the springs. my dad's 15 years old rollie has been worn very sparingly (can count the number of times in a year), runs accurate time, and we only sent it in for servicing after 10 years (it's because i wanted to send my own rollie for overhaul). having said this, if the purpose is to lub the parts, then by wearing them in rotation is good enough unless you've a very big collection.

Offline pr1mus

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2010, 01:27:32 PM »
Using the winder is not Green because power required!
Using the winder will increase wear n tear for your watch!

So unless u own a automatic perpetual calendar which difficult to set date, or else no reason to use it!

Sorry if u offended u but pls save the earth together!  :Laughing_on_floor:

In terms of the watch winder not being green, I'm sad to admit that this is a failure on my part. I've tried recycling and so-on and so-forth but everytime I decide to take either the 4.2 or 3.4L monsters out of the garage, all greeness that I saved up by recycling and not using a winder gets thrown out of the window......   :Mad:

Offline chrischeong

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2011, 09:56:04 PM »
If you have just purchased an automatic/self-winding watch, or if you plan to invest in one, you should know that a watch winder is a necessary accessory. The function of an automatic watch winder is to keep the timepiece wound when it is not in use. Therefore, it is very important to know how to purchase a quality product to keep your watch in the best shape for a long time.

Please Email me for more info

« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 10:48:33 PM by chrischeong »