Author Topic: Opinion on Zenith watches  (Read 14432 times)

Offline rainmaker81

Opinion on Zenith watches
« on: January 12, 2013, 10:13:23 AM »
Hi guys,

I was browsing the net just now and stumbled upon this handsome Zenith chrono: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-MENS-ZENITH-EL-PRIMERO-CHRONOGRAPH-36000-VPH-ROSE-GOLD-WATCH-/370727755037?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item5651189d1d

Seems like a good deal considering their renowned movement and the gold case. I was wondering if anybody has experience with their watches. How well do they hold their value? How about price range? Any comments are greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Offline puniaboh

• Freshie
Re: Opinion on Zenith watches
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 11:04:43 AM »
My friend also having a Zenith Open Heart.. That is fantastic.. He is a luxury watches owner, according to him, Zenith watch not really good at resale, but good in accuracy like other luxury brand like panerai and rolex.

Offline shamtv2555

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 12:00:55 PM »
let our bro hanz explain, he is a zenith pro

Offline dpkong

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 01:37:29 PM »
The dial is beautiful.

Offline dennis.T

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 04:03:58 PM »
let our bro hanz explain, he is a zenith pro
I agreed..where are you Hanz.. I can smell tat Hanz ll tell u dnt go for zenith if u afraid abt the resale value ;D

Offline Primus

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, 04:47:09 PM »
My friend also having a Zenith Open Heart.. That is fantastic.. He is a luxury watches owner, according to him, Zenith watch not really good at resale, but good in accuracy like other luxury brand like panerai and rolex.

zenith open heart... now thats a beauty. never was interested untill i saw it in person. what a wonderful piece, one of the more better looking open hearts

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2013, 06:35:37 PM »
Wah... I am no pro. I am just a fan of their watches only.
Anyway, the piece that you linked.
It's the Captain collection.
Movement wise they are as robust as they come.
Launched in the year 1969, all the teething problems would've been ironed out and if the movement survived till this day, it says alot.
As for the resale value, Zenith watches do not fare so well.
Retail price for that piece is in the 57k-61k region iirc... I am not a fan of precious metal cases so I did not memorize their RRP.
But even at that price, you're looking at a very nice watch from a historically rich brand and a manufactured in-house movement.
It is my opinion that they still offer the best value there is...
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline 1to12

• Carpe Diem !!
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2013, 07:09:34 PM »
I love the A386 but the prices have gone crazy and not easy to fine one these days... so, been eyeing the El Primero Chrono 1969...
"...But if you listen real close, you can hear them whisper their legacy to you. Go on, lean in. Listen, you hear it? - - Carpe - - hear it? - - Carpe, carpe diem, seize the day boys, make your lives extraordinary." - John Keating, Dead Poets Society

Offline rainmaker81

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2013, 08:42:11 PM »
Went to cortina to try it on just now. Fits perfectly. Only problem is that it is priced at a prohibitive Sgd22.3k (before discount)Haha. Actually The Edge (Sg edition) is running an article about Zenith this week. It suggests that the brand had a slump after the recent crisis but revival is underway under the stewardship of a new CEO. Tempting, very tempting... That being said, with that budget (ebay price that is), I think a preowned Royal Oak is within reach. Is RO a clear winner?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 09:01:57 PM by rainmaker81 »

Offline 1to12

• Carpe Diem !!
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2013, 09:11:31 PM »
If it's about same price, RO is the clear winner...
"...But if you listen real close, you can hear them whisper their legacy to you. Go on, lean in. Listen, you hear it? - - Carpe - - hear it? - - Carpe, carpe diem, seize the day boys, make your lives extraordinary." - John Keating, Dead Poets Society

Offline Enkidu

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2013, 09:36:19 PM »
Wah... I am no pro. I am just a fan of their watches only.
Anyway, the piece that you linked.
It's the Captain collection.
Movement wise they are as robust as they come.
Launched in the year 1969, all the teething problems would've been ironed out and if the movement survived till this day, it says alot.
As for the resale value, Zenith watches do not fare so well.
Retail price for that piece is in the 57k-61k region iirc... I am not a fan of precious metal cases so I did not memorize their RRP.
But even at that price, you're looking at a very nice watch from a historically rich brand and a manufactured in-house movement.
It is my opinion that they still offer the best value there is...

Zenith watches are normally well made and affordably price. As Hanz said the El Primero movement (which forms the basis for many of the current models) has been around since 1969 and is a well tested movement. I agree that Zenith may have rested on its past glory more than it should and there are some aspects of the EP chronograph movement which I feel they could / should have improved upon. But it remains an accurate movement and is competitively priced (therefore attractive for people who want to start upgrading to watches having in-house movements) if you are just eyeing the SS models. Add a bit more money and you'll get some nice complications. But like Hanz said, resale value is poor.

I remember we had a few threads on Zenith....here's one

http://www.malaysiawatchforum.com/index.php/topic,7126.msg71881.html#msg71881
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 09:45:08 PM by Enkidu »

Offline kukujiao

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2014, 09:06:31 AM »
anyone has the zenith dual time?

Offline ey

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2014, 02:31:28 PM »
Have 2 Zenith's and am happy with it. It's range went over the top IMHO during the tenure of previous CEO but somehow have gotten back to their roots. Buy what you like and not let others influence your decision. Love your nick " kukujiao"  :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline Mox

• Freshie
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2014, 03:06:29 PM »
Hi guys,

Just bought myself a Pilot Type 20 40mm, and am sooooooooo happy with it  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

What I really love about Zenith is the fact that ALL of it's line are using either the Elite or El Primero movement, beatifully crafted and the fact that it is very much affordable completes the package in my opinion :). Targetting the El Primero Chronomaster Grande Date next  :Praying:

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2014, 03:17:08 PM »
Cool!!
The 40mm is a nice piece.