Author Topic: Zenith El Primero Stratos Flyback Striking 10th Felix Baumgartner investment?  (Read 14788 times)

Offline ivanpei

http://www.luxury-insider.com/features/2012/interview-felix-baumgartner-for-zenith

Now that he successfully completed the jump with this watch, what do you think of the investment potential of this watch? :)

http://www.forbes.com/sites/elizabethdoerr/2012/10/12/felix-baumgartner-to-fly-high-with-zenith/

The special edition with this engraving might be worth something in the future?

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
He reached a top speed of mach 1.24!!
I assume the Stratos Striking 10th Flyback strapped of his outer suit still works flawlessly?
Anyway, I just hope Zenith do not go down the path of Omega as to milking the watch every year with countless limited editions.
I would love to own a Stratos... but at 45.5mm... I do not think I can carry it.

:thumbsup: To Felix Baumgartner!!  :thumbsup:
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline tonykpk

Great stuff n great watch.  thx 4 sharing.

Offline pexus

• Global Moderator
We want to know if the watch is still ok!
 ;D ;D
`Learning to appreciate my watch as a tool, and not some fancy branded jewelry'

Offline pexus

• Global Moderator
nice pics...

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tree&goto=6310666&rid=0#msg_6310666

at least we know the strap is still intact.. ;D

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
nice pics...

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tree&goto=6310666&rid=0#msg_6310666

at least we know the strap is still intact.. ;D
Even Joe Kittinger is wearing a Stratos... damn... It does look good on them!!

;D ;D

The watch is of course ok... says me!! hahaha
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

Offline pexus

• Global Moderator
I read when Felix was preparing to jump, Joe was the man talking to him...so sort of motivator role...

bro..you try to jump even higher than Felix..then i can be your 'Joe.....we both get free watches lo... :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
The highest I've ever jumped was from the Macau Tower... and I did not get any free watch... lol
Anything higher, I think i'd shit my pants... :mooning:

Offline STT1987

A bit OT, but what he did was nothing short of amazing. Albeit, he achieved Mach 1 in the thin air of near space, its still pretty (very) dangerous if pieces of equipment started ripping off him as he passed through the sound barrier.

On topic: This Zenith - too pricey, I have other fishes to catch first.
“Do not argue with an idiot they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - Mark Twain
This video will prepare you for internet life.

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
A bit OT, but what he did was nothing short of amazing. Albeit, he achieved Mach 1 in the thin air of near space, its still pretty (very) dangerous if pieces of equipment started ripping off him as he passed through the sound barrier.

On topic: This Zenith - too pricey, I have other fishes to catch first.
I would have to disagree there bro.
Zenith watches are actually really well worth it.
You get a full in house legendary movement with chrono complication... I don't think there's any other brand in the market that offers the same...

Offline Enkidu

Yes, Zenith watches are real bang for your bucks. Before that Italian [we shall not mention his name, may he be exiled forever] took over the top job in Zenith back in 2001/2002, an EP with SS bracelet could be had for RM6,900 at ADs. No need to negotiate. Nowadays, despite all the misadventure which nearly made Zenith a fashion brand like [name shall not be mentioned because may cause offense], an EP can still be purchased at the price below the 20K mark, also without much negotiation.

But like all watches, it's not going to be an investment unless it's THE Stratos FB actually wore during the jump and he has decided to present to you free.

Offline Enkidu

The highest I've ever jumped was from the Macau Tower... and I did not get any free watch... lol
Anything higher, I think i'd shit my pants... :mooning:

How do you know FB did not shit and pee in his pants? Luckily was wearing an astronaut suit, otherwise will spill over an area 100square km.

Offline STT1987

I find the inscription on the back of the Zenith watch deceptive. It's actually the first watch strapped to a skydiver falling at Mach 1. But that's a bit too much to inscribe at the back of the case.

The first guy who actually wore a watch and broke Mach 1 AND survive was actually this guy:

Charles Elwood "Chuck" Yeager

And, depending on who you'd like to believe he was wearing this watch:

Rolex SUBMARINER - this picture was taken in 1962, so we can't be too sure on what he was actually REALLY wearing in 1947.

Now, if you want to be pedantic about these sort of things; legend has it that several Luftwaffe pilots flying ME-262s and ME-163s actually broke Mach 1 first during World War 2. Unfortunately, they did that by diving (and crashing) their jet planes straight into the ground, thus breaking far more things than just the sound barrier. Obviously, they did not survive to endorse expensive luxury watches. They were also probably wearing Luftwaffe standard Flieger B-Uhr watches.
 :Laughing_on_floor:

Edit: Corrected Rolex Submariner!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 02:21:47 PM by STT1987 »
“Do not argue with an idiot they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - Mark Twain

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
Yes STT1987, you are absolutely correct on that.
Unfortunately, the previous gentleman did the feat by wearing the watch in the cockpit.
Felix wore the watch in his outer suit and the watch came into contact directly with the harsh pressure and temperature changes not to mention the velocity of supersonic speeds...
Zenith wins in this case I'm afraid...

When Zenith said it's the 1st "watch" to break the sound barrier, it's spot on too... coz the watch was travelling in the same speed at the wearer
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 01:14:49 PM by hanz079 »

Offline Enkidu

And, depending on who you'd like to believe he was wearing this watch:

Incorrect I am afraid. That watch shown on his wrist is a rolex sub, which came out in the early 1950s. Chuck Yaeger broke the Mach 1 record in 1947. He was wearing a normal rolex oyster probably.

Offline STT1987

Rolex Sub, yes my mistake. Yeager appeared in a lot of GMT ads later on in life.
Now, about "winning" watches...
 :Laughing_on_floor:  :Laughing_on_floor:  :Laughing_on_floor:

This is Ed White, June 3, 1965 - Gemini 4 mission. First American space walk.

Stats are for Gemini 11 mission but you have to maintain a certain speed for orbital EVA:
Maximum altitude: 1,400 kilometers (850 miles)
Maximum speed: 28,164 kilometers per hour (17,500 miles per hour)

It is 100% confirmed that Ed White is wearing an Omega Speedmaster hand wind.
http://www.watchtime.com/featured/rocket-watch-history-omegas-speedmaster-moonwatch/

The real test for the Speedmaster came on June 3, 1965, during the Gemini 4 mission, when astronaut Edward H. White wore the chronograph over the sleeve of his spacesuit for a spacewalk. The environment in outer space is as harsh as any a watch will encounter anywhere. Near-vacuum conditions and extreme temperatures prevail. The temperature on the side of the ship exposed to the sun climbs to about 100 C and plummets on the other side to approximately –100 C. In anticipation of these rigors, Omega developed prototypes with red anodized aluminum cases for protection from extreme temperature variations and dials coated with zinc oxide to provide the highest resistance to solar radiation. But these prototypes turned out to be unnecessary because the Speedmaster withstood the extreme temperatures without any modifications.

I have no idea what Alexey Leonov was wearing for his Voshkod 2 spacewalk in March 18, 1965.

edit: add more info.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 02:19:26 PM by STT1987 »

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
Yup... Omega won there... hence the milking of it until today.
IMHO, I still think the Stratos achieved a great deal having the watch travelling at supersonic speeds...

Offline Enkidu

Stats are for Gemini 11 mission but you have to maintain a certain speed for orbital EVA:

The engraving on the Stratos says "First Watch to Break the Speed of Sound". Now, in order to have sound, there must be air. No doubt the astronauts wearing the Speedy during EVA were travelling at a much higher velocity than Felix, but there was no sound - all silence........... Hence, the boast at the back of the Stratos still holds true.

And it says "break the speed of sound". It doesn't say "travel faster than sound". Hence, there must be contact between the watch and the atmosphere. Speedy, please step aside.  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Enkidu

I have no idea what Alexey Leonov was wearing for his Voshkod 2 spacewalk in March 18, 1965.

edit: add more info.

He was wearing the Vostok Strela.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Google it....

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE

The engraving on the Stratos says "First Watch to Break the Speed of Sound". Now, in order to have sound, there must be air. No doubt the astronauts wearing the Speedy during EVA were travelling at a much higher velocity than Felix, but there was no sound - all silence........... Hence, the boast at the back of the Stratos still holds true.

And it says "break the speed of sound". It doesn't say "travel faster than sound". Hence, there must be contact between the watch and the atmosphere. Speedy, please step aside.  ;D ;D ;D
Ahhh... that's what I wanted to say but cannot find the words...  :Cheers:

Offline takashi78

Trust me Zenith is gonna milk this til no end haha.

I still maintain my stand, whenever people ask whataver watch as investment. 99% of the time NO.

Unless you only buy Patek complication watches.

Offline takashi78

Mana jam tangan?

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
Strapped on the right hand...
Black strap, you can see it when he's saluting.
When he safely reach solid ground...

The watch and the strap...

« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 04:40:57 PM by hanz079 »

Offline dpkong

ah.. best one by far  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

now those interested in one of these watches better go grab one before the price gets jacked up by Zenith.

Offline sm

Unbelievable feat by FB! No limit as to what the human mind can accomplished.

Agreed w our bros, zenith will up-sell this model, no question. They pull the rug right under the more established brands. Imagine the caliber is stl intact after all the punishing stress.

Btw, was the watch still working after he has landed? Haha!

Sm