Author Topic: IWC Pilot's Chrono 371701 vs Panerai PAM 112  (Read 15110 times)

Offline bencys

IWC Pilot's Chrono 371701 vs Panerai PAM 112
« on: December 19, 2011, 07:24:29 PM »
Hi guys,

Need help deciding on which to go for.. It'll be an everyday watch.. Have tried them on and they are both singing to me in different ways... The IWC, with a somewhat conventional design, is definitely a safe choice and the PAM's slightly over-sized and quirky looks are certainly going to divide opinions.. A controversial piece but very distinctive, loud and conspicuous (one-of-a-kind)... Love the PAM for its unique design but not sure if it will have a lasting effect... The IWC has a balance of form and function...

Head is telling me to go with the IWC but heart is saying otherwise.. I'm in a huge dilemma.. So guys, which is more desirable?

Offline sshark

Re: IWC Pilot's Chrono 371701 vs Panerai PAM 112
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 07:42:27 PM »
if this is my 1st watch, i would take the IWC chrono. it is has the sporty look. and in my view iwc makes better watch than pam.

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 08:06:33 PM »
with the money, i'd go for a used rolex submariner 14060. You'd cant go wrong with a rolex. But between the 2 at hand, i'd go with the Panerai. Only bad thing about the Panerai; 1) there is no sub-second so its hard to tell whether it is running 2) its handwind (which is a big issue for some) 3) no date 4) you'd end up spending a ton on aftermarket straps ;D. I'd never own the IWC3717 before so i cannot comment on it although the only IWC watches that I would like to own are the IWC Portuguese 7 days or the IWC Big Pilot.
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline pexus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 09:55:42 PM »
i once asked the same question to many bros...
and the answer was a preowned rolex...

try browsing through the rolex related threads in this forum..and give it a try.... :D

But if you still insist on the pilot chrono vs the 112, you're right..its difficult to choose...putting history aside..one will pull your heart with the classic Pam sandwich dial and crown design and the other with the beautifully balanced chrono design..
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 09:57:52 PM by pexus »
`Learning to appreciate my watch as a tool, and not some fancy branded jewelry'

Offline gloomis

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 04:35:05 AM »
for me i will go for Pam as i owned both brand.

iwc is past and the reason of selling it off is the casing material too soft. once u accidently knock on something hard, it will leave u a ding on ur watch case.

as pam 112 is the basic model which carry pams DNA. u not buying a watch itself, u can oso play with straps, diff straps give u diff feeling and most important is everytime u change a strap, it give u new watch feeling. it will never be bored.

last but not least, pams always got a better value compare iwc.

all this is my personal view as i knw there is a lot iwc fans here.

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 05:20:40 AM »
As an owner of a PAM I would recommend neither.

Get a preowned Rolex instead. Far better value for money
Better outrun my gun....faster than my bullet

Offline ckng515

• Merchants
    • WISparadise
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 06:11:28 AM »
Follow your heart!
You dont need your head in buying a watch!
Show us some photos when you have pulled the trigger.
 :Cheers:

ck
For More Updates please visit my online store at:
https://www.facebook.com/wisparadise

Offline iz

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011, 10:40:10 AM »
Both are nice watches and u can't go wrong with either. I always like iwc more than pam. Friends have the iwc, and are loving it.
For that price range, the best watch (IMHO ) is a used Sub or a omega moonwatch. In house, great heritage, hugely popular .

Offline johnjoux

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2011, 10:52:08 AM »
I would get the IWC black dial .. You wont go bored looking at the watch.. Pam 112 is a good contender as its a nice watch as well.. but the decision for me , its IWC.

Like already said.. pam is handwinding and its troublesome to handwind it every 2 days since u saying u want to buy for everyday use. IWC is really great looking watch , go for it

Offline shamtv2555

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2011, 11:00:37 AM »
it all depend on u , for me i will go for a pam o pre owner rolex, for iwc it still cant sing to me again. pam + aftermarket strap, always a new feel...pam have it own unique design won look bored...

Offline shamtv2555

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2011, 11:01:20 AM »
for me i will go for Pam as i owned both brand.

iwc is past and the reason of selling it off is the casing material too soft. once u accidently knock on something hard, it will leave u a ding on ur watch case.

as pam 112 is the basic model which carry pams DNA. u not buying a watch itself, u can oso play with straps, diff straps give u diff feeling and most important is everytime u change a strap, it give u new watch feeling. it will never be bored.

last but not least, pams always got a better value compare iwc.

all this is my personal view as i knw there is a lot iwc fans here.

yes tht true bro, i agree

Offline jacky8888

• Global Moderator
  • More than meets the eye
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2011, 11:52:36 AM »
both also ok...... depends on which one do you like more...
 i am leaning against PAM.. hehe
good luck.....
Jacky Wong

Offline watchmanu

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2011, 03:37:36 PM »
myself as a previous owner of IWC divers watch and current new owner of PAM watch. my vote will go to PAM and this is only my personal preference. However, one of my dream IWC watch still the BIG PILOT and YACHT CLUB.  ;D

follow your heart to choose what you want and please do share with us once you obtained the grail!  :Cheers:
watchManU

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2011, 05:47:31 PM »
Two very different watches indeed. Oranges and apples. Which do you like more? The IWC is nice as is the Panerai. I have had the pleasure of having owned an IWC and I have to say it is a nice brand. I would not say that it is great as many would but perhaps I owned the 'wrong' watches in the MK XV and XV Spitfire Limited Edition. Many people have raved about IWC and how good their watches are. Sadly I did not fall into that category.

That is not saying that Panerai is better. I have had friends that bought watches from Panerai only to sell it off later. Why? That are big and heavy. It can take a toll on the wrist. It is not a cheap watch for what it has as an offering. Basic ETA/ Unitas movement. At least on the IWC, although it has an ETA 7750, it has had lots of work done by IWC itself.

So, back to the question, which watch? I still have a soft spot for IWC and I do love Panerai. But in the end if I had to choose between the IWC Pilot and the Panerai00112, I would go for the IWC. Had it been the PAM00000, it would be a different answer.

The answer does not consider value and what you can get back when you need to sell the watches. If that does comes into consideration, I would not choose both the watches.

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2011, 01:57:39 AM »
On the hindsight, all or our taste, desires and opinions differs. At the end of the day, it all oils down to you, yourself.

Each of us have difference reasons for choosing a watch.

Buy the one that stirs your heart most when you strap it on your wrist. The one that you constantly think about when u are restless.

All factors are useless if you do not have an inkling of affection to what you have bought.
Better outrun my gun....faster than my bullet

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2011, 04:16:39 AM »
the most important thing after all the discussions here is that there is a purchase to show for at the end of the day. We can ask which is better but if we never jump the gun, it is all for naught. The chase for that 'dream watch' is neverending so do not be afraid to take risks. Be it the IWC or the Panerai, you cant go wrong with neither. Both are established brands. Both have its pros and cons. Whichever makes you happier would be the right one.
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline Watchnewby

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2011, 02:47:39 PM »
So, have the thread starter "jump the gun" yet?
Do share with us, OK?

Offline bencys

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2011, 08:40:29 PM »
Thanks to those who have contributed. Some opinions did sound a lil cult-like especially those who favoured the PAM. Comments about the IWC were indeed more sensible.

Was in SG yesterday.. Took the opportunity to visit the Panerai boutique at Ion Ochard. Tried on the PAM 112 again and left the place empty handed. Suffice to say, the PAM doesn't do it for me. No offence to PAM lovers, but that design is just not something I can take seriously. More like a fun, trendy and fashion-oriented piece.

Took the plunge and bought the IWC instead. No regrets thus far and am loving it.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2011, 09:02:26 PM »
like all watch threads, pics or it didn't happen....

Offline watchesmiles

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2011, 08:08:33 AM »

If u are not big fans of pam , then i will suggest IWC 3717 choron , it is very classic and price is not the high .

PAM112 is very simple watch , consider other pam model will be better

Thanks

Offline Watchnewby

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2011, 12:55:31 PM »
Thanks to those who have contributed. Some opinions did sound a lil cult-like especially those who favoured the PAM. Comments about the IWC were indeed more sensible.

Was in SG yesterday.. Took the opportunity to visit the Panerai boutique at Ion Ochard. Tried on the PAM 112 again and left the place empty handed. Suffice to say, the PAM doesn't do it for me. No offence to PAM lovers, but that design is just not something I can take seriously. More like a fun, trendy and fashion-oriented piece.

Took the plunge and bought the IWC instead. No regrets thus far and am loving it.

Congrats on the IWC, bency.
Wear it with Good Health and please do show us pictures of your nice IWC.
Cheers.

Offline ex660

• Freshie
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2011, 02:12:08 PM »
i actually liked the both and i was in your situation once..
which then i settled with the 112..

i do like the 37101 and IWC's brand..
its realli worth the $$ given the mech. and the chrono vs a empty 112..
39mm is not realli to my liking..

cut the story short..
i fancy only pvd watches.. and doesnt like steel case or bracelet watches..
and base PAM only comes in polished steel case .. which took me a awhile to swallow.. *bling bling .. and equally care when wearing PVD watches..
through reading .. its background and get to know the Panerai's brand better..
once bitten by the PAM bug .. it was disturbing me and had sleepless nights and out hunting a pcs of base PAM ..

a month now.. i did not look back .. and i m already happily collecting straps  :D
and prolly aimming another logo PAM or 312,359 or 351 tobacco dial :D

hehe.. and leisurely i jus received my sandwich dial orange markers PVD homage.. :D :D
« Last Edit: December 25, 2011, 02:15:12 PM by ex660 »

Offline kulcha

« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2011, 07:37:24 PM »
congratulations bency. in future u might wanna add steel bracelet and kevlar straps to the iw3717.

Offline besview

« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2011, 12:42:09 PM »
Good choice.I have owned both and sold the 112 and the IWC has been akeeper since 2008.No issues of forgetting to wind as in tha case of the 112 :thumbsup: