Author Topic: service.... after sales!!! pls share yours.... gd & bad  (Read 15139 times)

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
service.... after sales!!! pls share yours.... gd & bad
« on: July 04, 2011, 07:06:20 AM »
mechanical watches are assembled by human hands.... hence the no matter how good is the QC, the watches are bound to have flaws....

so after sales service is a must consider factor before buying a watch! especially if u r buying a online watch brand, which is common nowadays!

1 mth ago, my bro in law sent me his S****h**t SAWLE, bcoz the allen key screws near lugs lost!!!
so i contacted the seller via their official web contact page.
they replied me via email in 2 working days, asking me for details.
i emailed them a picture of the watch showing the missing parts.
in 2 working days, they told me they sent me 2 sets of the screws.... at no charge, not even the postage!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: for it.

i had another bad experience with another internet brand 3 yrs ago. where i hv a part of my watches rusted.....
they never reply me, i posted on their official forum.... they replied me by blaming malaysia climate and i put it into a safe.... which is moist n cold!!!
i argued and posted their reply in the forum, then i got banned..... and my posts was deleted.....

then i talk about this in another forum.... i found i'm not the only victim....

Offline takashi78

Re: service.... after sales!!! pls share yours.... gd & bad
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 07:13:53 AM »
Chris good topic!

I think for these kinda discussions its ok to disclose the brand name good or bad.
Because for any brand there is bound to be good and bad experience.

We will monitor the thread closely to ensure it doesnt get out of hand.

Offline takashi78

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 07:18:10 AM »
Knock on wood all my watches except 1 had a defect after i received it.
Was my Laco 45mm B-dial pilot watch.

The caseback was not snap in correctly.
I emailed Laco and they say to send it in to them and they will fix it. But sadly they do not cover the cost on my side and its not cheap.
So i had Chris bring it to our trusty watchmaker and he found out that the seal was not put in correctly and thats why caseback has a gap. Few mins work and its done. :thumbsup:

Emailed Laco again and told them i decided to send it to local watchmaker to fix as the cost was cheaper and faster that way.
They end up sending me an extra strap for the troubles. :thumbsup:

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 09:05:01 AM »
Interesting topic. Have to say many of us forget that we need to service our watches. Anyway, experiences?

Let's start with Bell & Ross. Sent in my pre-loved BR01-92 for a service as I noticed that it was fogging up. The seals were giving way as the watch was from the first batch of BR01. So the watch was about 6 years old. Service is due. After a month, got the watch back and notice that there was a scratch on the dial where the screw to attach the dial to the movement was. Told them about it. They had a look and said ok, they will check. Took them about a month to get back to me as the only executive they had was busy with Basel.

They told me that they did not scratch the dial and I did it. Ok, I told them I did not. They told me to prove to them that I did not do it. I ask them if they had proof they did not do it and their reply was that they are the service center and do not scratch the dial. OK, I told them I will send them photos of the watch I took before I sent the watch in. Sent them the photos and it took them another month to tell me, ok, perhaps they did scratch the dial. It will take them another month to replace the dial.

The sad thing is, I have 2 B&R and I dread the day I have to send the watches back in for a service. I guess I will have to take photos of the watches before I send them in, just in case.

Offline Omnipotent

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 09:37:02 AM »
took me awhile to figure out what S****h**t meant...i kept thinking it's a 4 letter word with a missing vowel between the h and t... :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline siodee

• lalala..la..lalala....lala...lalalalala
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 11:37:16 AM »
took me awhile to figure out what S****h**t meant...i kept thinking it's a 4 letter word with a missing vowel between the h and t... :Laughing_on_floor:

:Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor:, may be should have a thread to guess the brand name, guess will be fun  ;D

Just sent my to the Swxxx Gxxxx for service, and yet to see how is the service report.  :thumbsup:
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore... Dream... Discover..." - Mark Twain

Offline sshark

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 10:23:16 PM »
Why can't we just state the manufacturer name?  there is a lemon for every 100, 1000 or 10000 watches they produce. Let hear how they actually handle it. Also, I believe these are  real experiences backed by tangible proof from the principle, right?

Offline HusH

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 10:39:57 PM »
Hi Chris,

I am very curious to know the manufacturer of the watch that rusted. If you do not want to name it this forum, can PM me?
Thanks!

« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 10:44:51 PM by HusH »

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011, 07:46:34 AM »
Hi Chris,

I am very curious to know the manufacturer of the watch that rusted. If you do not want to name it this forum, can PM me?
Thanks!

tz*k

Offline siodee

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2011, 08:23:26 AM »
Anyone know what is "Stem Tube"?? I only know stem cell  :Laughing_on_floor:
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.

Offline meoramri

• Global Moderator
    • My Eastern Watch Collection
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2011, 09:25:12 AM »
I guess I have been lucky. Serviced my Casio, Seiko and Suunto watches to the respective reps in Malaysia and these are my experiences:

1. Casio - works fast. Sent my wife' 12 year old Casio Edifice EFA-100 to change the gasket that has deteriorated with age. Informed via phone that it would take sometime as the no longer stock the special shaped gasket for the watch anymore hence they need to "manufacture" one specifically for this problem. Anyway, after a couple of weeks, got back the watch. Cost RM100

2. Seiko - my old Seiko Kinetic (reference code of 5M43-0C80) required some major repairs as sea water got into it. However, Seiko's KL service centre was not too helpful. In fact, they suggested I trash it and get a new one! A friend of mine who is a Seiko AD was more helpful and he was able to source the same size crown with basically a similar movement (although Kinetic but it is the latest technology). Unfortunately, the dial was impossible to find and he could only find one that closely match the original. Cost me RM550 for the restoration.

Before:
After:

3. Suunto - I got a problem with the heart rate monitor belt. It doesn't seem to be able to communicate with the watch. This is the most difficult experience I've face. It took me 3 months got get it back! They didn't call. I had to do all the calling. Nevertheless, they didn't charge me in the end (felt guilty perhaps?). Problem fixed.
Main watch blog visit: http://easternwatch.blogspot.com

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2011, 09:33:15 AM »
Sent the Tudor, reference 74000N in today for movement overhaul and crystal replacement. They asked if I wanted the watch polished and told them no. Looks like it is their standard policy now to ask if you want the watch polished. Will get the watch back in 2 weeks and total cost NTD 6,200 - overhaul NTD 3,200 and crystal NTD 3,000. Will report in 2 weeks the experience.

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2011, 10:25:13 AM »
sent 1 old omega handwind to watches of swit***lan* for repair
took them more than 2 wks to quote
then took them near 3 mths to repair...
watch not accurate, slower by 15 mins a day...
sent it back.... complaint...
took 2 mths to repair again... 
i asked warranty of 6 mths shd start again.... they disagree... TNS

then the newly replace barrel spring broken.... in 5 mths.... they refuse to repair for free.....
then i sent to another watchmaker.... the watchmaker told me the spring is modified and used part..... WOS cheat!!!
i emailed them for refund.... they never reply....
i call them they also put down my phone!!!!

so choose a good watchmaker....

THEY ADVERTISED IN PAPERS EVERYDAY AND CLAIMED TO USE GENUINE PART..... NAH!!!!

Offline kltime

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2011, 10:45:56 AM »
chris,

Sorry to hear abt ur experience. Thats very bad,especially the fact is this particular chain is the most well known independent service center with branches all over town, advertising in major newspapers regularly. I hope they are reading this forum so that they can take note and improve.

Offline David_cheong

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2011, 11:24:00 AM »
As far as I am concerned, this particular chain outlet - sublet the repairs to other watch repairer...

dc
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 12:09:06 PM by David_cheong »
I am almost a recovered watchaholic, but last checked shows only 70% recovered. How?

Offline siodee

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2011, 12:04:02 PM »

then the newly replace barrel spring broken.... in 5 mths.... they refuse to repair for free.....
then i sent to another watchmaker.... the watchmaker told me the spring is modified and used part..... WOS cheat!!!

Wah, I can feel your frustration, and took me a while to figure out TNS, should read it in Cantonese. After I read the service experience, I too decided to send mine to the actual brand service center, just heard too many bad experience. BTW, without this forum, I would have sent mine to those SC published in the ads and may be become another sucker  :HammerHead:

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2011, 01:57:04 PM »
chris,

Sorry to hear abt ur experience. Thats very bad,especially the fact is this particular chain is the most well known independent service center with branches all over town, advertising in major newspapers regularly. I hope they are reading this forum so that they can take note and improve.

their branch hire young man with no watch knowledge...
so they take the watch and hand to watchmaker to quote... quoting also they charge!

and most of the work they pass to free lancer to do... thats y take long time!!!

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2011, 01:57:59 PM »

Wah, I can feel your frustration, and took me a while to figure out TNS, should read it in Cantonese. After I read the service experience, I too decided to send mine to the actual brand service center, just heard too many bad experience. BTW, without this forum, I would have sent mine to those SC published in the ads and may be become another sucker  :HammerHead:

i hasnt tell u the SC story yet....

Offline Gigi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2011, 02:38:38 PM »
Here my share of Service Center Story

1) Swat Group

I send in my vintage Lolmega mk 4.5 to the boutique in starhill gallery, few days later call me up asking me if its ok to send it to Bienne to service the watch as they cant & dunno how to deal with it (expected it anyway). Say ok and told me it will take around 1 mth for the quote. Well one month later never heard from them, so call em up and ask what up. The watch was actually siting in Bienne for few weeks already and if i don call, they will send back the watch to malaysia. I have no idea why SGM did not call me when they receive the quote from Bienne.

Well after 3 month, the watch came back to me in a good condition apart it was running a little fast. Waiting to comeback so that i can go SGM to regulate the watch as my watch got 24 month warranty thrown in.

For more info go read here http://www.malaysiawatchforum.com/index.php/topic,1755.0.html

2) Seiko Malaysia

I did not service the watch there but had bad experience with them.

Part 1- I wanted to pressure test my diving watch (please don ask me why I do so, because I just wanted to pressure test it) I called em up and ask the procedure. Instead I was asked by them "Why do you need to pressure test, If touch water nothing happen then everything is all right". Well i was like WTFked  :HammerHead: So I wend to their office and ask them to do pressure test. Again they were reluctant to do so for no apparent reason, they only do it when i insist on doing so.  :HammerHead: :HammerHead: :HammerHead: :HammerHead:

Part 2 - I wanted to again pressure test my monster watch so i go to the service center and ask them to do so. This time, they asked my why I want to pressure test, and asked me if the watch was working when placed under running tap water. I was like WTFed again. I told them I buy a diver watch not to be placed under tap water to test its water-resistant. And something to note too, they seems to have no idea how to operate the pressure tester as I can see them in teh workshop trying to figure how to use it......  :HammerHead: :HammerHead: :HammerHead: :HammerHead:

Seiko malaysia seriously sucks :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: I wish they will be get kicked out and appoint another agent in malaysia

Offline kltime

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2011, 02:59:17 PM »
1) Swat Group

No wonder la service not so good , everything n anything "swat" only  :HammerHead:

Offline meoramri

• Global Moderator
    • My Eastern Watch Collection
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2011, 03:05:02 PM »
Here my share of Service Center Story

1) Swat Group

I send in my vintage Lolmega mk 4.5 to the boutique in starhill gallery, few days later call me up asking me if its ok to send it to Bienne to service the watch as they cant & dunno how to deal with it (expected it anyway). Say ok and told me it will take around 1 mth for the quote. Well one month later never heard from them, so call em up and ask what up. The watch was actually siting in Bienne for few weeks already and if i don call, they will send back the watch to malaysia. I have no idea why SGM did not call me when they receive the quote from Bienne.

Well after 3 month, the watch came back to me in a good condition apart it was running a little fast. Waiting to comeback so that i can go SGM to regulate the watch as my watch got 24 month warranty thrown in.

For more info go read here http://www.malaysiawatchforum.com/index.php/topic,1755.0.html

2) Seiko Malaysia

Part 1- I wanted to pressure test my diving watch (please don ask me why I do so, because I just wanted to pressure test it) I called em up and ask the procedure. Instead I was asked by them "Why do you need to pressure test, If touch water nothing happen then everything is all right". Well i was like WTFked  :HammerHead: So I wend to their office and ask them to do pressure test. Again they were reluctant to do so for no apparent reason, they only do it when i insist on doing so.  :HammerHead: :HammerHead: :HammerHead: :HammerHead:

Part 2 - I wanted to again pressure test my monster watch so i go to the service center and ask them to do so. This time, they asked my why I want to pressure test, and asked me if the watch was working when placed under running tap water. I was like WTFed again. I told them I buy a diver watch not to be placed under tap water to test its water-resistant. And something to note too, they seems to have no idea how to operate the pressure tester as I can see them in teh workshop trying to figure how to use it......  :HammerHead: :HammerHead: :HammerHead: :HammerHead:

Seiko malaysia seriously sucks :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: I wish they will be get kicked out and appoint another agent in malaysia

You just vindicated my experience with Seiko Malaysia! (see my previous posting on the same subject earlier)
Main watch blog visit: http://easternwatch.blogspot.com

Offline siodee

« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2011, 03:20:08 PM »
Is it?? so bad for Swat Grp? I just sent mine, should I keep closely follow up with them?? Any other bad stories???

Offline dennis.T

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2011, 03:45:51 PM »

i hasnt tell u the SC story yet....
common mate, tell us the story... :Cheers:

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2011, 05:47:36 PM »

2) Seiko Malaysia

Actually I can understand Seiko's point of view on this. Can you imagine if everyone with a Seiko comes in and ask for their watch to be pressure tested? They will be doing that day in day out and nothing else. Additionally the next issue would be how much to charge you? If they charge too much, the customer will complain. If they charge to little, it is not worth their time.

I am sure if you go to RSC or Omega service center or for that matter even your watch guy, the first they will ask is why? Why do you want to do it? The next question is if fail the test, how? Warranty claim? (if still within warranty period) or will you then send the watch in? Most likely answer is, no, I will take it else where.

The thing we have to appreciate it that we are WIS and they are not (well maybe some of them are and might just entertain you) but most of them are not. So, they cannot or will never appreciate the things we want done on our watches.

Offline Gigi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2011, 06:25:45 PM »
1) Swat Group

No wonder la service not so good , everything n anything "swat" only  :HammerHead:

Is it?? so bad for Swat Grp? I just sent mine, should I keep closely follow up with them?? Any other bad stories???

Nah, I just don like they did not intially call me about the quote... But later on they got contact me whenever there need abt that watch...... The watch came back beautifully btw :thumbsup: