Author Topic: Your experince buying from overseas  (Read 14929 times)

Offline duke916sps

Your experince buying from overseas
« on: March 02, 2011, 08:48:54 PM »
Just want to start this thread for all memebers to share their experience, anyone have problem, issues, delay, held back by custom when purchasing from overseas?

I just ordered some leather straps - leather goods  :'( :'( :'( not sure what's the outcome...

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
Re: Your experince buying from overseas
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 09:08:50 PM »
Watches no problem.
Leather goods subject to tax, I think the limit is below RM500

Here was the issue faced by our forummer,
http://www.malaysiawatchforum.com/index.php/topic,1285.0.html
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 09:10:39 PM by ck77 »

Offline duke916sps

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 07:00:27 AM »
Sigh ... it's been a week +, I think all signs point to $$$$

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 07:06:16 AM »
What's the shipping mode? No tracking info?

Offline duke916sps

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 10:31:45 AM »
What's the shipping mode? No tracking info?

USD 6.00 USPS First Class Mail International ... guess it's normal mail. I think I may be off the hook - hopefully as the item is USD 79.90 ( which comes to about RM 240.00 ) - So if the taxable threshold is RM 500.00, means ... off the hook?

Offline takashi78

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 10:52:43 AM »
Those normal US mail...u wait at least 2 weeks i think.

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 11:51:49 AM »
Normal mail I don't think custom will trigger.
But looking at the amount, it should be safe.

Offline Broleo

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2011, 12:00:15 PM »
standard airmail 2- 3 weeks acceptable.

Be patient, it will arrive soooner or later

Offline Q

• Freshie
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 11:38:13 AM »
Hi guys, good day to all.

I have one question too.

I too have a problem with pos malaysia.

Cos I have a parcel coming from  Canada but it was sent via normal air parcel meaning no track and trace (first time for me and stoopid of me since I use to use all track and trace just thought try and maybe save costs for the kaki over in vancouver)

I remember during the good old days say 20yrs ago there was no website etc so everything was sent by air parcel and it did arrive fine like a beethoven tune. My gramps was getting fiat car parts from italy then.

Now I dont know which sky kingdom haven it went to!!

Now the parcel was sent 15 working days ago, according to post canada should arrive in 10 days, of course here clearance can take some time.

But post malaysia boleh say tak boleh tolong!!!

Any tips will be appreciated.

Cheers,
Henry

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 11:44:08 AM »
Sorry Henry, I think your solution is to wait and PRAY  >:(

Offline duke916sps

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2011, 01:37:29 PM »
I received 3 leather bands today.. one more to go.

Offline sanguoich

• Freshie
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2011, 05:48:07 PM »
I've bought a few items through ebay.
The cheaper item from India wasn't registered but it reached me just fine :)

The more expensive items, were shipped using registered mail. Also no problem there.

I would hesitate to use unregistered mail especially for expensive items, since I've read some horror stories about parcels going missing. And its not limited to Pos Malaysia, other countries also have this problem. Anyone care to contribute their experience?

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2011, 05:55:59 PM »
Buying or Selling, I always prefer at least Poslaju.
During my trading days on Ebay, god knows how many of my stuff gone missing.
Registered mail is no help at all.
Have to quote Henry here:
But post malaysia boleh say tak boleh tolong!!!
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline adrian

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2011, 09:04:58 PM »
I've never had problems with EMS(poslaju) or registered mail. But for normal mail, I've experienced not receiving packages. Nowadays if the seller doesn't offer EMS or at least registered mail, I wont buy.

Offline Broleo

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2011, 11:19:24 PM »
+1. fully agree on this statement

cheers

I've never had problems with EMS(poslaju) or registered mail. But for normal mail, I've experienced not receiving packages. Nowadays if the seller doesn't offer EMS or at least registered mail, I wont buy.

Offline patmana83

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2011, 06:21:07 AM »
One thing That I know is watches is duty free in malaysia

Offline dsiewmy

• Merchants
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2011, 07:34:24 AM »
let me share some of my experiences and tips.

(1) if your item is more than US$1000, try to use a better courier company like fedex
      - you can get quotes online but typically a 4lb box would cost about US$150 to move here
(2) if the value of watch is above US$2000, u need to get a 3rd party insurance as fedex/dhl insurance goes thru the roof from there
(3) if you are sending a high value watch, do not declare as "watch" since it may be stolen, try to use "timing precision instrument", this works most of the time. but if it doesn't, the courier company will call up to justify and you can just say it is a watch.
(4) if your box comes with many tools and straps, sometimes customs will query randomly, u may be subjected to tax for the extra equipment.

Offline Paulkky

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2011, 08:07:43 AM »
so far buying watches from internet is good for me....all with reputable forwarder Fedex/UPS....well packing and fast delivery,..usually 3-5 working days.

But last week i bought a set of watch tools from DHgate, and seller is from HK....they are using HKpost with tracking number, but is very slow moving....last week till today still in HK.... :Confused:..hopefully it reached malaysia....

Offline adrian

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2011, 08:51:47 AM »
so far buying watches from internet is good for me....all with reputable forwarder Fedex/UPS....well packing and fast delivery,..usually 3-5 working days.

But last week i bought a set of watch tools from DHgate, and seller is from HK....they are using HKpost with tracking number, but is very slow moving....last week till today still in HK.... :Confused:..hopefully it reached malaysia....

I think that's registered mail. It's not really a tracking number, it's more of a status number. It only gets updated when they've collected the package and when you've received the package. My experiences from HK/China is about 10-14days via registered mail. One package (lightbox+camera lens) took 21days but on the package it showed it arrived 6days earlier. I guess the custom wanted to use the lightbox to take their own photos.  ;D

Offline duke916sps

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2011, 09:27:57 AM »
Now, I have one parcel stucked with custom... it's a watch!!!!! Wonder why... sigh ...

Anyway, Pos Malaysia givwes me a form - and I selected them as my clearing agent ...  costing me RM 49.50, I'd guess I rather pay than going there myself seeing how those people work getting paid using our tax money .....

Finger Crossed....     :o :o :o

Offline Q

• Freshie
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2011, 12:48:54 PM »
Guys,

I am still missing my air parcel from Canada. But its ok as I am not optimistic about it perhaps some angel is enjoying the watch.

But to put my experince with pos 1 malaysia boleh is that the care line seemed careless. My manager (an old guy from the foreign service corp) used the bodek and harsh approach on them. He sweet talked them to reveal all the workings then he gave them the interrogation to the extent of asking the teleservices did they know who is the post master and what is the meaning of par avion to which they couldnt answer. Well put it to inexperince since teleservices girls were freshies.

Then came the executives. He wrote and wrote and praised them and called them as if his life depended on them. Finally after much explanation about the air parcel. He got them to act.

Concurrently he checked with the interior ministry customs and was put to one chief there whom was very very polite to us. He reasoned about the lament of many customers that he knew its a run around but he did query his officers if there was a parcel stuck with them but to find none.

Finally pos 1 malaysia 1 muhibbah 1 bangsa 1 kaum 1 thomas cup 1 proton 1 klcc semua boleh post master called one morning and assured us that they were sorry for the stress and that they are memantau the one parcel and will contact us by this weekend.

Well I think like mankind if there is a will there is always a way. But alas its just an exp without fruition. Cheers.

Offline takashi78

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2011, 12:56:36 PM »
Well from this story of yours we can guess what profession you in already haha....

Offline duke916sps

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2011, 01:15:37 PM »
Guys,

I am still missing my air parcel from Canada. But its ok as I am not optimistic about it perhaps some angel is enjoying the watch.

But to put my experince with pos 1 malaysia boleh is that the care line seemed careless. My manager (an old guy from the foreign service corp) used the bodek and harsh approach on them. He sweet talked them to reveal all the workings then he gave them the interrogation to the extent of asking the teleservices did they know who is the post master and what is the meaning of par avion to which they couldnt answer. Well put it to inexperince since teleservices girls were freshies.

Then came the executives. He wrote and wrote and praised them and called them as if his life depended on them. Finally after much explanation about the air parcel. He got them to act.

Concurrently he checked with the interior ministry customs and was put to one chief there whom was very very polite to us. He reasoned about the lament of many customers that he knew its a run around but he did query his officers if there was a parcel stuck with them but to find none.

Finally pos 1 malaysia 1 muhibbah 1 bangsa 1 kaum 1 thomas cup 1 proton 1 klcc semua boleh post master called one morning and assured us that they were sorry for the stress and that they are memantau the one parcel and will contact us by this weekend.

Well I think like mankind if there is a will there is always a way. But alas its just an exp without fruition. Cheers.

Ha ha ha!!!!! No matter what's the outcome of my case.. this is one enlightening post! Thumbs up!!

Offline Manburg

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2011, 08:24:02 PM »
Let me enlighten you about my story. I was living in London, and had to send this just acquired watch back to New York due to faulty part. Fedex charged me GBP60+ for the delivery which would reach NY the next day. But to my horror, the package got stuck at the stupid US custom due to one incomplete form. This form requires you to tell the value of the movement, of the bracelet, of the casing, of the God knows what! How the hell would I know the value of those parts, as I bought it as one bloody part. After all the Fedex guy who was handling the package when I sent it in assured me that it's ok, the form can be left as it is. But now it's stuck and won't be allowed to be sent to the addressee without those details. Fedex called me to ask for them, which I of course wasn't able to furnish, and then the matter just died. Nothing was heard from them until I returned to Malaysia and I had to inquire through e-mails. Only then I knew that the package was sent back to UK and supposedly sent back to me. But the funny thing was, it was delivered to the wrong address!! WTF?  :Mad:   When I insisted to be refunded, they went back to that wrong address to try to retrieve the package, but nobody needed to tell me that that's not gonna work. Finally they told me that the item is considered lost and advised me to file a claim. I took all the trouble of locating all the supporting documents (e.g. receipt for the watch, waybill, etc) in order to put it in and claimed the full amount of the watch plus the VAT that needed to be paid when the watch first entered UK, i.e. all in GBP300. After a lot of ding donging, I was informed that they've decided to pay only GBP65.83. WHAT!!!  ??? I expressed my dissatisfaction and complained that I suffered total loss due to the sole and full negligence of Fedex. And a few days ago I received the following e-mail:

Without Prejudice

Our ref CC2011/1306

Dear Sir

Re Air Waybill 8719772XXXXX

Thanks for you for your email dated 07 March 2010.

Firstly I would like to apologise for the difficulties you have experienced with the above shipment. Fedex Express takes pride in our ability to safely transport and deliver the important shipments of our Customers and we fully understand your concerns.  

I have been informed that you would like to query the amount of £65.83 paid as full and final settlement in this instance. I understand that you had submitted relevant documentation to substantiate your claim. However, as you no doubt understand, FedEx provides services according to its terms and conditions as detailed on the reverse of our Air Waybill.  These conditions confirm our liability is calculated at 22 Euros per kilo or $100 whichever is the greater, unless a higher value for carriage is stated on the Air Waybill.  Unfortunately our records indicate that there is no declared value for carriage stated on your Air Waybill and therefore our maximum liability in this instance. Therefore, I stand by our decision that the amount of £65.83 paid is our full and final settlement in this instance. I hope you understand our position in this matter.

Please refer to our terms and conditions http://www.fedex.com/gb/services/terms

I am extremely sorry for the inconvenience; we do value your business and look forward to serving your future air express needs.

Yours sincerely

XXXXXX XXXXXX

Customer Experience Recovery Team UK & Ireland
FedEx Express Europe, Middle East, Indian Subcontinent & Africa

Tel: +44 (0) 2476 433725
Fax: +44 (0) 2476 707828

Would you like regular updates about FedEx? Subscribe to FedEx eNews via www.fedexenews.com/gb/enews

FedEx truly values and acts on all customer feedback. If you have any comment you would like to make regarding the FedEx Customer Experience or my performance, please feel free to contact my manager, Patricia McGuire on <mailto:[email protected]>. Thank you.

So Fedex said it takes pride in safely transporting and delivering important shipment? Safe my ass!!! :mooning:

Morale of the story, shit happens, and that shit is not the sacred privilege of Pos Malaysia or Kastam Malaysia, only.

Sorry for the long rant ... still pissed off with Fedex Boleh. :thumbsdown:

“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” BILL SHANKLY

Offline duke916sps

« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2011, 08:55:51 PM »
Just bought a rather expensive Bell & Ross - on it's way, fully insured and finger crossed.....  :Praying: :Praying: :Praying: