Author Topic: Special treatment when wearing luxury watch  (Read 10867 times)

Offline fireken

Special treatment when wearing luxury watch
« on: October 02, 2016, 09:09:08 PM »
Interesting read and experience... One get special treatment while wearing luxury watch..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-3807529/First-class-upgrades-dinner-invites-amorous-women-One-traveler-reveals-far-wearing-expensive-WATCH-you.html

Anyone experience the same? Do share it...

Mostly encounter it at luxury watch shop... Sales personal will look at the watch in hand before they choose their approach... Friendly or just ignorance...

Offline amir1218

Re: Special treatment when wearing luxury watch
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2016, 06:48:59 AM »
Interesting article.
Guess it would depend on which crowd one is missing with because not everyone is familiar with the many high end watch brands out there.

Offline Cocas

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 06:55:10 AM »
I think it is very likely happen in US or fully developed countries.

Offline Cocas

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2016, 09:46:32 AM »
In our country, the Black card, the "Dato" title, and the decent dress-up are more convincing and recognizable.

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2016, 10:52:32 AM »
In my opinion, it is likely that the article was written to promote the service. From my personal experience, I have not received any special treatment anywhere whilst wearing any one of the Trinity or even Rolex for that matter.
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline meoramri

• Global Moderator
    • My Eastern Watch Collection
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2016, 02:26:49 PM »
In my opinion, it is likely that the article was written to promote the service. From my personal experience, I have not received any special treatment anywhere whilst wearing any one of the Trinity or even Rolex for that matter.

Same here. I guess the proliferation of AAA grade copies could be a factor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Main watch blog visit: http://easternwatch.blogspot.com

Offline Jedirat

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2016, 09:46:50 AM »
Not received any special treatment ever when I'm wearing my Rolex...haha...maybe not luxury enough as compared to RM...therefore normal treatment... :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline ndtaan

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2016, 01:06:50 PM »
I don't think it'll make much difference here.
Just walk down Chee Cheong Kai,you can pick one up anytime :thumbsup:

Offline Cocas

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2016, 01:50:19 PM »
I will be working in Singapore today till Friday.

I intend to conduct a simple test on the hypothesis: whether there will be a different treatments as I wear an Explorer II and MM300 separately!

Testing method : one day wearing Rolex, one day wearing Seiko, and go to the same place and the same waiter/shop keeper.
Testing places: hotel breakfast lounge, prawn shop that selling preowned watches, and jewellery shop.
Testing on Explorer II:5-Oct
Testing on MM300:6-Oct

Please comment if you guys need to add on anything to enable this test to be conducted effectively! Thanks.

Offline theseira

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2016, 01:53:34 PM »
Only a few comments about the piece occasionally. Definitely nothing out of the ordinary.

Offline Cocas

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2016, 01:55:27 PM »

I intend to conduct a simple test on the hypothesis: whether there will be a different treatments as I wear an Explorer II and MM300 separately!

Testing method : one day wearing Rolex, one day wearing Seiko, and go to the same place and the same waiter/shop keeper.
Testing places: hotel breakfast lounge, prawn shop that selling preowned watches, and jewellery shop.

Please comment if you guys need to add on anything to enable this test to be conducted effectively! Thanks.

Let's the saga begin!

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2016, 02:06:14 PM »
Dress similarly on both occasions. Ask to see the same watch on both occasions. Let us know the results after your trip.

Offline Cocas

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2016, 02:12:54 PM »
Dress similarly on both occasions. Ask to see the same watch on both occasions. Let us know the results after your trip.

Yes, @G.MAC bro. I have thought of that and got it prepared, i will wear the dark color Bonia short-tsleeves shirt , totally same type/pattern, just the shirt pattern stripe, one is dark blue and another one is brown. :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 02:21:51 PM by Cocas »

Offline deeM

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2016, 07:33:11 AM »
Not sure special treatment or not..

Walked into a random watch shop, asked to buy a pair of spring bars but got it for free.
The salesperson said 'i'll give these for free, but please buy your next watch from us'

Offline asimo

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2016, 08:54:34 AM »
Bro cocas, please test at massage centre too .. Lolz

Offline ndtaan

« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2016, 09:06:17 AM »
Not sure special treatment or not..

Walked into a random watch shop, asked to buy a pair of spring bars but got it for free.
The salesperson said 'i'll give these for free, but please buy your next watch from us'

It's just good salesmanship :thumbsup:

Offline Jedirat

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2016, 09:47:20 AM »

Good idea. Please post your test result for sharing... :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline Cocas

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2016, 10:32:57 AM »

Good idea. Please post your test result for sharing... :Laughing_on_floor:

@asimo  @Jedirat   bros.

I doubt the test on massage center can help in proving the hypothesis. :Confused:

Offline andrewhtf

• Freshie
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2016, 11:15:51 AM »

but but but

wont the salesperson recognise you when you return?

i'd suggest wearing the MM first, then the Explorer

Offline ndtaan

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2016, 12:23:43 PM »

Let's the saga begin!
Remember you need to display the watches right in front of him,you don't want him to guess what watch you're wearing.

Offline Cocas

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2016, 05:09:17 PM »

Let's the saga begin!
Remember you need to display the watches right in front of him,you don't want him to guess what watch you're wearing.

Seriously, I don't think it's a good idea to do it as you recommended.

By the way, it's a very interesting experience today with Explorer II.

I will be writing up the hypothesis conclusion tomorrow once the test is done :thumbsup:  .

Offline Cocas

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2016, 01:11:08 PM »

Let's the saga begin!

I will be writing up the hypothesis conclusion tomorrow once the test is done :thumbsup:  .

Finally, the 2-day test completed.

5-Oct: Wearing Rolex Explorer II
1. Test at hotel breakfast restaurant:
The lady collecting my breakfast voucher greeted me warmly but I don't think she paid any attention to my watch at all. The foreign Indian waiter taking my order with very good manner too (he didn't look at my watch).
2. Test at preowned shop:
I enter the shop during lunch hour. Walking in the shop looking around for more than 10seconds, no one bother to come and serve me but once I look up with eye contact and asking for preowned JLC, the old sales attended me responsively and politely. It could be my bad habit that when I look around in a shop I always put my both hands at the back hand-in-hand. But the old salesman did notice my watch when I asking for JLC.
3. Test on jewellery shop:
The salesgirl greeted warmly at the loose diamonds section, patiently trying to select the right diamond that fit my budget.Due to the jewellery lighting is to bright, I believe she did notice my watch when i stepped into the shop.

To be continued...
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 01:21:08 PM by Cocas »

Offline Cocas

« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2016, 01:37:24 PM »

Let's the saga begin!

The lady collecting my breakfast voucher greeted me warmly but I don't think she paid any attention to my watch at all. The foreign Indian waiter taking my order with very good manner too (he didn't look at my watch).
I enter the shop during lunch hour. Walking in the shop looking around for more than 10seconds, no one bother to come and serve me but once I look up with eye contact and asking for preowned JLC, the old sales attended me responsively and politely. It could be my bad habit that when I look around in a shop I always put my both hands at the back hand-in-hand. But the old salesman did notice my watch when I asking for JLC.
The salesgirl greeted warmly at the loose diamonds section, patiently trying to select the right diamond that fit my budget.Due to the jewellery lighting is to bright, I believe she did notice my watch when i stepped into the shop.

To be continued...

6-Oct: Wearing MM300
The lady and Indian foreign worker still greet me warmly just like yesterday.
I hesitated a little bit to enter the shop because yesterday I asked for JLC but the shop does not carry it and I did not make any purchase at all.
By the time I stepped in the shop but I didn't really look around , I went to the old salesman and asked him see if he is willing to share any preowned shops that carry JLC, he politely replied with the plaza name but not the shop name but I think his attitude is more "cold" than yesterday.
Too bad that the salesgirl still remembers me and very eager to push selling me the diamonds I saw yesterday. But I still didn't buy anything and quickly left the shop. I don't even want to look at the salesgirl expression.

To be continued....
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 01:40:42 PM by Cocas »

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2016, 01:47:00 PM »
Based on your conclusion, my personal opinion would be;

1. The lady and foreign worker's job is to greet all the hotel guests warmly.
2. The old sales staff may have known and/or surmised that you are not a customer and/or a prospective one so he is cold.
3. Jewelry shop, I agree with what you said that they want to make the sales.

To be honest, there will not be a clear gushing of preferential treatment from anyone just because we wear something expensive. Maybe not on this side of the world. Nonetheless, good on you to actually conduct the test.  :thumbsup:

Offline Cocas

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2016, 01:52:18 PM »

Let's the saga begin!

To be continued...

6-Oct: Wearing MM300
The lady and Indian foreign worker still greet me warmly just like yesterday.
I hesitated a little bit to enter the shop because yesterday I asked for JLC but the shop does not carry it and I did not make any purchase at all.
By the time I stepped in the shop but I didn't really look around , I went to the old salesman and asked him see if he is willing to share any preowned shops that carry JLC, he politely replied with the plaza name but not the shop name but I think his attitude is more "cold" than yesterday.
Too bad that the salesgirl still remembers me and very eager to push selling me the diamonds I saw yesterday. But I still didn't buy anything and quickly left the shop. I don't even want to look at the salesgirl expression.

To be continued....

Conclusion:
The test completed. Out of the 3 places, the test at breakfast restaurant has succeeded in proving that there are indifferent for services/treatments received when you wearing different watches.

Preowned shop and jewellery shop tests were having weaknesses upon conducting the test. Because they recognize you, and they somehow expect you to buy something from them during the second visit. If I don't buy then their disappointment are inevitable.