Author Topic: Planning to get my first rolex  (Read 14249 times)

Offline kygan711

Re: Planning to get my first rolex
« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2016, 03:41:32 AM »
On my own experience, when I purchase my watch I bought the model which i like and not what is popular.

I taught I am gonna keep this with me for long time.

After joining this forum and learning more each day, somehow it changed my view and appreciation of the watch I bought. So I have joined the bandwagon to upgrade my watch or if you have more funds start a collection.

So can't say I can wear a watch for life now as I learn to appreciate the aesthetics and functional features of the watches which could be past models and not necessarily new ones.

Offline AbbasHabshee

« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2016, 06:50:19 AM »
Congrats! Playing around with the sunburst dial under the sun light is quite interesting ;)

Offline kopykopy

« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2016, 09:18:09 AM »
Wow, judging from this thread as well as thread on other watch forums, the rolexes which gets the most mentions are BLNR, Hulk, Sea Dweller, Deepsea Blue.  Have those watches overtaken the Submariner as the most sought after Rolex? 

Offline Jedirat

« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2016, 11:11:25 AM »
Rolex Hulk is a good and trendy watch, IMHO, suitable for both sport and dressy purpose. It was my first Rolex as well. Since then, I have collected another 2 Rolex and made my collection to 3. They are Batman, Pepsi and Hulk. I don't think I am going to sell them but most probably will keep them and pass on to my son.. :Cheers:

Please continue to share your story if you have add new watches to your collection.

Offline Mikey C.

• Freshie
« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2016, 01:48:30 PM »
Buy it now! Rolex price increase every year

Offline Jedirat

« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2016, 02:01:06 PM »
Buy it now! Rolex price increase every year

They have increased the price last year due to weakening RM. Don't think this year will increase again since RM is more stable now compared to 2015.

Offline kopykopy

« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2016, 02:09:54 PM »
Now is always the best time to buy a rolex. I don't think the price of a rolex has ever gone down whether good or bad economy. Whether strong or weak ringgit. And by the way I don't think I have seen an AD sell the hulk for less then rm35k

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

Offline Jedirat

« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2016, 02:31:04 PM »
Buy when you are ready to buy and there is a purpose to buy. Importantly you must have the necessary fund to buy the watch you like. We don't have a crystal ball to predict the price movement, whether it will be up or down in the near future.  :Cheers:

Offline WatchW

« Reply #58 on: March 10, 2016, 08:42:39 AM »
Hulk and Batman goes for a premium in most part of Asia. We are easily paying 10-15% higher than the listed price - regardless if we go to AD or Grey Dealers.

Rolex doesn't stop AD from charging a premium and Rolex "under-stock" the ADs. So, the ADs happily charge premium on the hot models. This is very smart on Rolex part. It's brilliant brand marketing and this is just one of the reason why Rolex remains the most collectible luxury timepiece in the world.

When you buy a Rolex, you don't buy just a watch. You enter into another currency. It's somewhat like "buying gold". You convert your money into the "Rolex currency". And this currency appreciates over time!

Offline chiewata

« Reply #59 on: March 11, 2016, 09:01:07 PM »
Just to share my experience,  when I bought DSSD when its first available from parallel importer I pay super premium at 27k,  now DSSD is almost 40k

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk

Offline chiewata

« Reply #60 on: March 11, 2016, 09:03:03 PM »
Anyway congratz on ur purchase and enjoy it

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk

Offline Harry33

• Freshie
« Reply #61 on: March 12, 2016, 01:35:47 AM »
Each year and or with each new model, the price increases but doesn't help much in terms of increasing or retaining the value of the old ones.

Offline WatchW

Planning to get my first rolex
« Reply #62 on: March 12, 2016, 05:26:58 AM »
Each year and or with each new model, the price increases but doesn't help much in terms of increasing or retaining the value of the old ones.

Not all models/references will appreciate in the same proportion of value.

For some references, however, the appreciation is pretty amazing.

Take for example, Rolex ref 16710 GMT Master II in year 2000 priced at MYR 14,000/-.

Mint condition today (16 years later) could go as high as MYR 26,000/-.

This works out to be a compounded growth of about 4% per annum for last 16 years.

That's like putting your money away in FD, but you get to enjoy a beautiful iconic watch.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 05:30:03 AM by Will78 »

Offline kygan711

« Reply #63 on: March 12, 2016, 06:57:17 AM »
In absolute amount it looks and feels great. Only 4% compounded annually, looks not too great already. Many find many other easier options to replace unless you enjoy the watch and not focus more on investment.

Offline kopykopy

« Reply #64 on: March 12, 2016, 10:14:19 AM »

Not all models/references will appreciate in the same proportion of value.

For some references, however, the appreciation is pretty amazing.

Take for example, Rolex ref 16710 GMT Master II in year 2000 priced at MYR 14,000/-.

Mint condition today (16 years later) could go as high as MYR 26,000/-.

This works out to be a compounded growth of about 4% per annum for last 16 years.

That's like putting your money away in FD, but you get to enjoy a beautiful iconic watch.
I am no expert in rolex used prices but what you described sounds good to be true (to me at least). I have no intention of doubting you but what you described, I don't think even a submariner can get that.

Can a 16 year old Pepsi/Coke sell for rm26k now? Is it because it has been discontinued

« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 11:08:50 AM by kopykopy »

Offline deriku

« Reply #65 on: March 12, 2016, 11:49:34 AM »
I doubt used GMT2 can fetch such a high price >20k. Unless it's a full package NOS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
« Reply #66 on: March 12, 2016, 12:03:39 PM »

Offline WatchW

« Reply #67 on: March 12, 2016, 12:06:40 PM »
It starts at 22-24k now. And some even without paper.

25-26k is a premium price if watch condition is pristine and comes in full set.

Watch is discontinued and hard to find in pre-owned market. So when a good piece comes along, it's "willing buyer, willing seller" price.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 08:53:28 AM by Will78 »

Offline Harry33

• Freshie
« Reply #68 on: March 12, 2016, 02:14:12 PM »
Certain models of 86, Type R, Birkins and even Lego fetch premium prices in the resale market due to exclusivity & rarity but that doesn't mean all runs from the same mill will command the same high value.  ::)

Offline deriku

« Reply #69 on: March 12, 2016, 02:54:27 PM »
Wow that's something new to me. Approaching and even exceeding used 116710 prices.

Offline kopykopy

« Reply #70 on: March 12, 2016, 03:14:43 PM »
Well.... That's what the Seller is asking for. Any takers or not?

Offline WatchW

« Reply #71 on: March 12, 2016, 04:55:10 PM »
Another case study would be the Rolex 1675 GMT Master.

In 1986, the Rolex 1675 GMT Master retailed at around MYR 4,100/-.

30 years later, the price for 1675 in mint condition with box and papers can go up to MYR 40,000.

This works out to be about 7.9% compounded growth rate per annum.

Brothers, I am not trying to imply that buying Rolex is a financial wealth planning vehicle.

It's still a watch that we are buying at the end of the day. We shouldn't expect to "make money" buying watches.

I am merely pointing out a fact that, indeed, for certain models, Rolex does appreciate quite decently in value over time.

There are many more case study. If you guys like, I can start a new thread to showcase more examples.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 05:09:10 PM by Will78 »

Offline kopykopy

« Reply #72 on: March 12, 2016, 07:54:23 PM »
I guess it's just down to luck that a particular model you bought 20 years ago now fetches a high price. You wouldn't have known at that time you bought it.  It doesn't happen for every 20 year old model. 

However, buyers of current models will not be so lucky cause I doubt any current models of rolex now will escalate tremendously in price in 20 years (except due to normal inflation) because any rolex models now are produced a dime a dozen.  Even for the short run (and hence limited numbers in the wild) Day Date 2 (41mm), would you dare say it's surely a high priced item in 20 years?

A Year 1980 Rolex in Year 2010 (30 years old) is different from a Year 2010 Rolex in Year 2040 (also 30 years old).  Unless WW3 happens and a majority of Rolexes get wiped off the face of the earth, then it will be different  :Laughing_on_floor:
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 07:58:13 PM by kopykopy »

Offline niteowl

« Reply #73 on: March 13, 2016, 07:09:09 PM »
On Rolex prices, my take is it is so high now because of our very weak currency. I have been following and for  16710, in general it hovers around the USD 5K-6K mark, depending on condition and completeness.

And for new models or pre owned models sold through ADs or Gray Dealers, GST also drives the price up.

What is more interesting is if the currency drops, will the ADs or local gray market do the same?

« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 07:11:36 PM by niteowl »

Offline Jedirat

« Reply #74 on: March 14, 2016, 08:07:50 AM »
On Rolex prices, my take is it is so high now because of our very weak currency. I have been following and for  16710, in general it hovers around the USD 5K-6K mark, depending on condition and completeness.

And for new models or pre owned models sold through ADs or Gray Dealers, GST also drives the price up.

What is more interesting is if the currency drops, will the ADs or local gray market do the same?

Don't think the AD/local gray market will reduce the price even our currency is stronger. A premium will still be asked for hot/popular Rolex model, IMHO.